Cultivated Reef

AirAngel's 24g AquaPod Adventure

airangel

np...thats a phoenix bulb. Haven't tried the 20K unknown brand.

robin.... lol its the same fixture as before, just the 150w...but when I try to snap pics of it the glare from bulb or flash ruins it.

I'll try when lites are back on again and upload.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol, I understand. It is a little tricky to get the pic without the glare. I did forget to answer your earlier question about my camera settings. Work has been keeping me quite busy lately. To be honest, I don't know. I kept going into the menu and kept pushing buttons until I got close to the actual color. My pictures still has too much white in it to me. I'm not sure if it's the stock bulb on the Sunpod or as you say, user error. I have no idea as to what any of those settings mean.

I think I am gonna try that phoenix bulb. I need to order more salt anyway so I'll just do that on payday. I really like how it looks on your tank.

Oh, by the way, have you tried out your Mighty Mite yet?

Robin

I think I am gonna try that phoenix bulb. I need to order more salt anyway so I'll just do that on payday. I really like how it looks on your tank.

Oh, by the way, have you tried out your Mighty Mite yet?

Robin

It's funny but I can't tell diff from one bulb to the next, lol, I'd heard good things about the "blue-ness" of the phoenix bulb, to me it looks white. What do I know?

And yep, tried out the Mitey Mite, lotta waste, lol, but didn't take as long to do a gallon as I thought. Wonder if I did something wrong? I ordered (eBay) a TDS meter so haven't made more since the initial 4 or so gallons which I dumped for the breaking in of it. Once meter arrives I'll whip up a batch and test it to see if I'm getting zero, then I will fill my 6g jug. It's all in the kitchen hooked up, just waiting for the meter.

Cameras: for me, its user error. The kodak cheapo is better than the sony spendy, go figure.

Mini Update:

I finally rec'd my TDS meter (ebay win)...boy that was an eye opener....as I expected my tap water was high (~352) but the fridge filtered water suprised me at ~252. Hmm mebbe time to swap out that filter? In any case, am running the Mitey Mite (after trashing about 4g) and it tested out to 001. I'm a happy camper, I'd like 000 but the filters new.

No major tank updates, everything still appears to be happy & content with the new lighting. I've kept the screens off and haven't altered the lighting schedule (still 1pm -9pm). The frogspawn from Filefish is huge (2 heads) now with the new wattage, the candy cane looks pillowy for once and the clams mantle is just dripping out of his shell :P

Edit: WHOA...just checked the TDS of the water I've been getting from the LFS....egads its 103. Hmmmm, can that be?

Usually fridge filters or typical under sink filters (like Everpure units) will only do minimal filtering to remove certain key things like lead for example. You usually won't so more than 50-100 TDS decrease when using these. I used to have a PUR 3-stage filter that fits onto your sink faucet and when I'd test it out, the TDS coming out was the SAME as was coming in, and that was after just replacing the filter in it and letting about 2g of water run through it first. What a good waste of $35 there... :(

I've done that same test of the filters that attach directly to the faucet and I can confirm that I got the same result- they do NOT work at all!

• 1 month later...

Hey Dood...

Thanks for stopping by. Not all that much to tell, moved a lot of the smaller corals out into the Pico Reef. I've been bad, on the water changes, tank needs a good scrubbing, lots of corraline on the glass (why on glass not more on the rocks I wonder? LOL).

I think the phoenix bulb is driving me away from the tank. I believe I prefer the white lighting, its making the xenia and other pink/pooh brown things look ugly.

I need to get the razor, fresh water and plan a trip to the LFS....I have to buy some DTs and see if I can get some Rods food.

Will try to post an update when things get done, hopefully this weekend if I can get my act in gear. Blame it on the humidity, or the heat or the monsoons.

Also need to update the Pico thread. Hang tight and thanks again for the nudge :)

Mini Update:

FINALLY got the water changed. Pulsing Xenia wasn't happy before and so far still isnt' happy. Hoping she'll recover from the mini tank neglect and open up. Found the razor and front glass is minus coralline circles. Have to figure how to get it off the curved front.

New addition (and hopefully will get a pic before it jumps out,sigh) to the tank and the last fish...a Firefish Goby. I think the runt YCG is history. Hadn't been able to catch it to move it to the Pico and haven't seen it in days in the tank (or on the floor and I can't see in the chambers). I bought another YCG yesterday for the Pico Reef (along with a turbo and astra snail, and 2 more blue legs). So far the Firefish is hanging out after a few minutes of hiding amongst the LR. I wanted to get a Royal Gramma that I saw yesterday but today it was gone. Firefish was on sale and it also had a nice bi color to it, although sigh, not as colorful as the Gramma.

Hoping to snap pics soon. I never got to the salt store so still haven't picked up Rods food and DT. Am really hoping to during the upcoming week. We shall see.

New addition (and hopefully will get a pic before it jumps out,sigh) to the tank and the last fish...a Firefish Goby.

Well I'm glad I snapped some pics last nite. The fish didn't jump out (I don't think so) but there IS something way back along the back wall where I really can't get to and I haven't seen the Firefish since lites went out last nite. Me thinks the False Perc got to it (despite the Firefish being a larger/longer fish). Am bummed of course but wondering if he just bit the dust on his own or if he had help. :angry:

So here WAS a pic of the lil dude :(

AP24firefish1.jpg and one of the trio

APfishtrio.jpg

My major fear was he tile surfing....guess will just keep things as is, the false perc and larger ycg, snails, blue legs and the peppermint shrimp.

Lil red...no, yellow bugger doesn't bother any of my corals. Hosts in the shrooms, tried the clam till he almost got squished, lol.

• 2 months later...

Archived