Pod Your Reef

AirAngel's 24g AquaPod Adventure

airangel

Need pics of the frogspawn, lol B)

My pepp shrimp is doing a great job at getting the aiptasia in my tank. I had tons of tiny aiptasia from when I killed the one aiptasia (yep, there was only one - came on a frag) I used to have. I can no longer find any in my tank. I'm very pleased with mine, I'd say go ahead and get one.

Hey Meliss

Yeah I took pics of the frogspawn last nite, haven't logged onto the desktop to upload yet. On the peppermint shrimp, the store ordered six but NONE arrived on Wed. Hoping to obtain this week. I've been plagued with Aiptasia since day one and I hate the look of the chemicals on the rocks, and getting my arms soaked. Most of them are small but unsightly, so hoping I get lucky and mine will have an appetite.

E.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah, I see. They seem to be pretty cool critters. He's shy until I start feeding the corals, lol. Can't wait to see pics of the frogspawn.

Few new pics...frogspawn added, new small mag rack.....

apfrogspawn.jpg Frogspawn

apxenia.jpg pulsing xenia

apzoaworm.jpg Radioactive Dragon Eyes,Whammin Watermelon,GSP& bristleworm

apthinstringycoral.jpg Anthellia

apleftside.jpg left side with mag rack

apfts420.jpg fts

Hoping to add candy cane coral, blue/red/purple shrooms and a toadstool. That should do it for corals. Peppermint shrimp SHOULD be here this week I hope.

Rec'd my target feeder wand/aiptasia doser/cleaning thing off eBay.

Question: Do you guys epoxy your frags to the rocks? My CUC keeps knocking them over. I'd like the corals to eventually cover my live rocks and not sit on the bottom of the sand bed.

The frogspawn looks fantastic! Beautiful pics, I hope the peppermint shrimp arrives when expected.

:)

If I knew how to take pics it would look even better....also I've noticed sometimes it is just more "alive" some days than others. Today its not as out there as it was yesterday. Wonder why?

Photo number 3 (from right to left is)

GSP, Whammin Watermelon,Radioactive Dragon Eyes

Photo 4 is: Anthellia

Hope that helps.

Ron

Ron--thanks...helps a lot....hate to have stuff in the tank and folks ask what is it and you go ummm i dunno.

Will add names now.

Ellen

Hope that helps.

Ron

Hope that helps.

Ron

You're welcome :)

Great new pics, Ellen, you're tank is definitely coming along nicely! B)

I don't epoxy my frags, but sometimes I wish I would... =/ My nass snails ALWAYS turn everything over that's on the sand, and my new blue spotted jawfish (pics of it in my 30g tank thread) likes to use my zoa frags as part of his burrow... <_<

Great new pics, Ellen, you're tank is definitely coming along nicely! B)

I don't epoxy my frags, but sometimes I wish I would... =/ My nass snails ALWAYS turn everything over that's on the sand, and my new blue spotted jawfish (pics of it in my 30g tank thread) likes to use my zoa frags as part of his burrow... <_<

Hey Matt

Thanks...tank looks better in person, my pics are um awful. User error. Need to find someone with camera like mine to give me tips.

The ycg likes to host on the shrooms, the snails and hermies like knocking the zoas and shrooms off the rocks.

How long does it take for stuff to grow/spread/populate? Not quite sure if stuff is happy where it is, and what stuff likes what flow and lighting. Right now I figure to not glue stuff down till I'm done stocking the tank. Have a few orders out for stuff, then will decide.

Right now the in tank fuge is bugging me. May just stick chaeto in unappealing soapdish. Not getting skimmate with the Solana skimmer at all, so not sure if another user error or if I should try to sell it and get a hob or ditch the skimmer idea. Skimmer hogs the first chamber. Such decisions!!!

My stuff seems to grow prety quick considering my tank water conditions before I did a W/C last week. My Ca was apparently at 244ppm, eek!! But zoas and mushies still seem to grow pretty quickly for me.

My stuff seems to grow prety quick considering my tank water conditions before I did a W/C last week. My Ca was apparently at 244ppm, eek!! But zoas and mushies still seem to grow pretty quickly for me.

Found out that the LFS's water is also low calcium, I'm dosing (sporadically) with Purple Up. Have to find the salt mix that has the calcium in it at a nice level and will consider mixing my own.

Make sure that since you're dosing to, test regularly or you could end up with levels too high! My main low points were my Ca, Mg, and also alk... =/

Make sure that since you're dosing to, test regularly or you could end up with levels too high! My main low points were my Ca, Mg, and also alk... =/

I did get the ATI reef kit as well, right now the calcium was very low. I don't have a test for Mg. I'm only dosing once weekly when I do the water changes. Will do this until I find the mix with the calcium in it and then stop dosing. Purple Up is the only thing I'm adding (other than gallons of RO daily, lol). Yeah working on ordering the ATO......

Hey Ellen - your tank is looking really good! I like how your rock looks and I'm glad to see the zoas are doing good. Keep the pics coming!

I took down my 10g, and set up a new custom AIO tank a few days ago. I think I'm gonna need ATO for it too, lol! How's your tank doing, Ellen?

It's awesome to see another Aquapod 24 just rocking with new corals etc.! I don't know if anybody else answered this question yet, but I tend to try and wedge my new frags in as much as possible instead of going the glue route. I have started to find rubble pieces that "fit" into the desired crevice, and then glueing the frag to that rock with the intention of finding the perfect fit. It works pretty well, but I'm planning on moving my entire Aquapod in about another month ~500 miles, so I'm hesitant to glue down anything to the rock itself. I see you've also gotten a mag-rack, they're awesome, and a great place to keep frags until you find somewhere you really like to fit them in! Keep up the great work, it's awesome to see how far your tank has come so far.

Thanks for sharing!

-MR

Hi Matt

Your new acrylic tank looks nice, what kind of lighting are you using on it? Tanks doing good I think, my Ric doesnt like my tank, hasn't since I got it and one of the zoa frags from Alti hasn't been open the last 2 or so days, not sure why. Still working on the ATO, hoping to get one soon, the pump I got from Louie3 was a start but he sent out the wrong one (mj400 and i wanted the 1200). Did get immediate refund :D

Was your group price that good? I mean to take down and restart........lol

Ellen

I took down my 10g, and set up a new custom AIO tank a few days ago. I think I'm gonna need ATO for it too, lol! How's your tank doing, Ellen?

Thanks Ellen! :) Yeah, it really was that good, hehe! That and you'd have probably taken down and restarted too I'm sure had you seen how the 10g was looking at the time of tear-down... :scarry: The light I'm using on the new tank is the same single 40w PC Satellite fixture I had over the 10g, at least for the meantime.

Give the zoas a few days, they can be quite the picky corals. Big differance from MJ400 to 1200.

Hi MR,

Thanks for stopping in!! :D ....no one really has answered it, mainly there arent any nooks and crannies to wedge things into. Most of the pieces I have, came on their own rubble or tiles. When they've fallen off (many since I've gotten things shipped) I've tried to find better placeable pieces to reglue them onto. I've gotten some epoxy but so far haven't used it, just have the fragged corals glued onto tiles or plugs. Mostly not sure where they want to live at this point.

Moving eh? Good luck. I know it can be done, another NR member took his in front seat from Ca to Az.

I love Daniel's racks, I got the small one as well as a mag feeder. The downside of using the frag rack vs the soapdish is losing unstuck frags. I've had a few glued and reglued ones disappear. I hardly notice the mag rack (vs using the soapdish)

Thanks for the encouraging words, I hadnt set out to do this, just kinda fell into the tank thing and am hoping to have a much better outcome than I had with the JBJ 12g nanno.

Ellen

It's awesome to see another Aquapod 24 just rocking with new corals etc.! <snip> Keep up the great work, it's awesome to see how far your tank has come so far.

Thanks for sharing!

-MR

I do like the size of your new AIO, less of a footprint. Nice you are able to reuse the lighting. Great on the deal, I'd probably do the same too. Do you worry about scratching though? The zoas were open, but not for the past few, not sure whats up. As long as the rest of the tank seems ok, was scary reading about Phishyaly's tank crash. And yes, HUGE difference, just got paypal refund, now hoping to find out who has the 1200 and see if they'll swap.

I do like the size of your new AIO, less of a footprint. Nice you are able to reuse the lighting. Great on the deal, I'd probably do the same too. Do you worry about scratching though? The zoas were open, but not for the past few, not sure whats up. As long as the rest of the tank seems ok, was scary reading about Phishyaly's tank crash. And yes, HUGE difference, just got paypal refund, now hoping to find out who has the 1200 and see if they'll swap.

Thanks! :) I do worry about scratching actually, but they sell buffing kits for it though. Glass you can't fix once scratched. :(

bluegrizzlies1

http://www.autotopoff.com/products.html

Just got this ato for my 12 gallon works great. I went single switch and got a container that has a locktite lid (walmart) run a air pump (walmart) with mine instead of a powerhead.

I put a long piece of tubing in the container and up to my tank the other one is shorter goes from my pump to the container but not in the water just above it. It pumps air into the container and then pushes water up to my tank works great.

Hi Bluegrizzlies

I';ve seen the site but I don't think it would work for me (also posted a thread about ATO and got a few directions there) as the head height I need to pump up to is high. The bucket would be under my stand and my stand is 38 inches high, then the AP which is about 20 more inches. Thats why thought about the powerhead option.

Your locktite lid container though, how many gallons does it hold? I was planning to use a 5g bucket, since have so many around anyhow and my tank will need about that much in a week (topless, 70w MH, Arizona)

So no high and low switch in your tank then, just a low switch?

Thanks for stopping in, do you have pics of your ATO?

E.

http://www.autotopoff.com/products.html

Just got this ato for my 12 gallon works great. I went single switch and got a container that has a locktite lid (walmart) run a air pump (walmart) with mine instead of a powerhead.

I put a long piece of tubing in the container and up to my tank the other one is shorter goes from my pump to the container but not in the water just above it. It pumps air into the container and then pushes water up to my tank works great.

bluegrizzlies1

It would work for you because you can use a power head or a pump.

I just changed mine kind of I went and got the wally whisper pump ($20.87) with to outs on it 1 goes to my jug it is about 1 gallon. The other outlet I made another jug out of a 2 liter pop bottle same way 2 holes and 2 hoses works great will have to see how long it will last Im hoping a week until water change.

All Im saying is you can save a little money going with this one or you can spend more on the jbj one just giving you another option you will be happy with anyone you chose

Archived