SaltCritters.com

AirAngel's 24g AquaPod Adventure

airangel

TheCuban1040

From what I can see everything you have in there is low-med light and low-med flow. I'd say just slap them all over the bottom tear of rock. You have the 70W Sunpod right?

My Xenia brushes up against zoas and feather dusters and nobody seems to mind. I hear SPS hates Xenia, but nothing else seems to mind it. Just know that it will spread in the direction that the flow pushes it.

I'm sure the Hammer has very long sweepers, have you taken a look at it late at night? I thought my Favia had really short sweepers until I got a glimpse of it at 4AM when it had 6'' long cords of death swaying in the current.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Luis

Yes 70w MH Sunpod. How does the putty stuff work? I've got some and the super gel glue.

I've got the pulsing xenia which goes all over the place, its on its own rock so I may move it lower. I'd like that sweet spot for a clam one day (or it can be on the sandbed, whichever it prefers).

Tank has:

shrooms, zoas/palys, xenia, anthelia, candy cane, gsp, rics, hammer, toadie, kenya tree, (something I have no clue what it is that I got from jason its reddish and flat and miniscule but it was free)

I'm sure the Hammer has very long sweepers, have you taken a look at it late at night? I thought my Favia had really short sweepers until I got a glimpse of it at 4AM when it had 6'' long cords of death swaying in the current.

Hmm very scary. How late at nite? Lites go off at 9, I never noticed when walking by and using flashlite that it had anything past its green tipped tentacles. 6 inches!!! Geez....I will pay attention tonite to see. I may ask Ben as I got it from him, I guess he got it at the swap.

OK it's 5:30pm and I'm done. I still don't think it's great. My great plan did not go as planned!! I did get some new rock but not enough. They didnt have a good selection. Then I way underestimated the amount of water I needed. Didn't help that I had painters at my house and everytime I needed to get into a room there was a ladder in front of the door!!

Part of my problem was once I got a rock and scrubbed it I didn't want to use that water again. I did not realize how much red bubble algae I had. So when I was picking and scrubbing if off all I could think of was I would be putting a new rock into this spore infested water. There was 2 rocks that I didn't want to use but ended up using 1 and breaking the other in half. Needed hubbys help and then he ended up on a conference call so I was on my own. My fish stayed in the tank. And MY GOSH does that water become nasty quick!!! With no pumps and stirring up the gunk on the bottom I could hardly see thru the water. It had strings of gunk hanging in the water. It's amazing the fish could breathe thru all that.

I think it's better in the back. More flow back there and I have more openings in the rocks so the wrasse can weave in and out. Rocks are definitley more stable. But I still think it can be improved. I started feeling rushed because of leaving the corals out. I guess best case scenario would be to have a seperate tank that you can put all the corals/fish while you mix and match to your hearts content. Like you said. Put it on the kitchen table and work it all out. I have a few more additions and then I'll post a pic.

Thanks for all your help!! I really couldn't have done it without your guidance!!

TheCuban1040

Yeah Ellen, all of that stuff would prefer the bottom of the tank. The Zoas could go anywhere, but everything else will look best further from the light. Are those candy canes Kryptonites? Where'd you get em? I just got a couple from Oasis and they are sweet!

The timing is different with each coral. My Favites aren't fully extended until 3AM or so and the Candy Canes aren't really sweeping like they mean it until 5AM. ...I swear I don't just sit in front of the tank all night!

Luis

Got ya on low. I will try to figure out the putty issue. I did move some shrooms on their bases to the rocks but they won't stay due to the CUC. How do you putty em down, do you remove rock or putty frag and insert hand into tank over rock and squish?

I got the candy canes off Saltwaterfish.com but sold to me as neon green not Kryptonites. I want more candy canes (and some clove and whatever purple thingie I had posted elsewhere on this thread). I've never been to Oasis (hate driving).

Yeah sure you're not up watching your tank late at nite and in the wee hours of the day, with your trusty flashlite, sure sure. I am up at 4:30 to start working and the hammers all pulled in but has a nice glow from the sunpod LEDs.

E.

Hey Laura

Thanks, the center of the scaping is more open, but hard to tell due to the purple rock sitting on the left side (I like the rock but didnt have spot for it yet).

No chiller. Can't see spending a few hundred bucks on one. Since the tanks open, I have a dual AquaTek fan hooked on the back, I have it set to go on/off with my lights (currently 1-9pm). If it gets too hot before lites on, I will just run fans longer, so far its been doing ok temp wise.

I also thought to stop the heater or go less wattage (running a visi therm 100w now) if need be, that and as you say, re arrange the lighting schedule.

:)

I wanted to buy the mh light but was worried the money should be used for a chiller. I like your idea of teh aquatek fan. In all my other tanks I generally turned off the heaters each summer. The tanks were always open tanks but I bought my aquapod with the hood. I could not afford it with the mh light at the time. In a few weeks I will be able to buy either the chiller or the light. At least tonight I have some research to do about aquatek.

I confess I want the mh because I want a clam. Silly I know.

Love your tank....

I wanted to buy the mh light but was worried the money should be used for a chiller.

My reasoning is...get something you can use ALL the time, a chiller while nice in summers, really isnt gonna do much after the heat spell.

I OTOH, didn't actually buy my MH......

.I like your idea of teh aquatek fan

Wasn't my idea, believe it was cfeists but I love the thing. Azoo makes one similar. Both I think are on eBay.

In all my other tanks I generally turned off the heaters each summer.

Generally I do too, although my house is hot (right now about 77, I do see the heater lite come on in my 80g, go figure).

The tanks were always open tanks but I bought my aquapod with the hood. I could not afford it with the mh light at the time. In a few weeks I will be able to buy either the chiller or the light. At least tonight I have some research to do about aquatek.

I got mine with the hood as well. I hear you on affording, I could not have afforded mine. Nor was I looking for a tank or to do salt. Details of my tanks history on this thread.

I confess I want the mh because I want to a clam. Silly I know.

LOL and thats why a clam is on my wanted list, figure I got the lite for it.

BTW, the MH makes a HUGE and I mean HUGE difference on the look of the tank. I wish mine was a 150w but beggars can't be too fussy.

I just luv Stevie T !! Thanks for finding it again for me. I had seen it once when I went Wallymarting for putty.

Hey Heidi...glad ya didn't drown in your RSM.

I still don't think it's great. My great plan did not go as planned!! I did get some new rock but not enough. Then I way underestimated the amount of water I needed.

I commissurate with you, I really do. I dont' think mine is either, my great plan didn't go either and my rocks weren't the right kind. I fell sadly short of water. I am scared to test the SG, am sure its all diluted from the ATO LOL

I figured your rock scrubbing issue was gonna be messy. Same with my fish, amazing they survived isn't it? LOL. Couldnt see squat, I'm moving rocks blindly, hoping I'm not squashing a fish. Now ya see why I chose to leave the sandbed alone, picture the mess if one stirred it up, bad enough it got stirred moving the rockwork around.

I felt rushed too, the water was cooling off, my back was about to break (my tank is stupidly high up, and its not my fault, read beginning of tanks history). Amen to the seperate tank. And i did have spare tanks too. Next time (ahahahaha yeah right). If I EVER get possessed enough to do this again, that is exactly what I will do. Rocks can go in bucket, but the fish and corals in the 10g or such, preheated and filtered for a whiile before the proposed re do. Then one can leisurely go deep sea diving w/o worrying the clock is ticking on you.

Can't wait to see your thread now after things clear up. Sorry my guidance wasn't much better, but I tell ya what, the next time it will be a lot different. And for sure anyone following this thread is gonna learn a lot (of what to do and not to do) from two noobs redoing their aquascaping

Hey Heidi...glad ya didn't drown in your RSM.

I commissurate with you, I really do. I dont' think mine is either, my great plan didn't go either and my rocks weren't the right kind. I fell sadly short of water. I am scared to test the SG, am sure its all diluted from the ATO LOL

I figured your rock scrubbing issue was gonna be messy. Same with my fish, amazing they survived isn't it? LOL. Couldnt see squat, I'm moving rocks blindly, hoping I'm not squashing a fish. Now ya see why I chose to leave the sandbed alone, picture the mess if one stirred it up, bad enough it got stirred moving the rockwork around.

I felt rushed too, the water was cooling off, my back was about to break (my tank is stupidly high up, and its not my fault, read beginning of tanks history). Amen to the seperate tank. And i did have spare tanks too. Next time (ahahahaha yeah right). If I EVER get possessed enough to do this again, that is exactly what I will do. Rocks can go in bucket, but the fish and corals in the 10g or such, preheated and filtered for a whiile before the proposed re do. Then one can leisurely go deep sea diving w/o worrying the clock is ticking on you.

Can't wait to see your thread now after things clear up. Sorry my guidance wasn't much better, but I tell ya what, the next time it will be a lot different. And for sure anyone following this thread is gonna learn a lot (of what to do and not to do) from two noobs redoing their aquascaping

I'm popping the Advil as I type :wacko::wacko: And I do need to start a tank thread so as to not hijack yours!

I did Advils as well.

Hopefully you have some pics of the "before", always good to start a thread with the icky pics. I sure did, lol

I do have pics from the "beginning". I just haven't gotten around to starting a thread. Maybe I'm scared nobody will read it....just like high school!! LOL!!!

LOL I had exact same worry and it was a while before someone other than me was constantly posting on it, sporadic drops in, probably cuz they hit the wrong link. I have posted a few topics that no one or just one or two folks have replied to. I had some skimmer questions hanging out there. Posted one tonite as a matter of fact.

Glad you have pics, everyone wants to see pics vs blocks of text.

LOL I had exact same worry and it was a while before someone other than me was constantly posting on it, sporadic drops in, probably cuz they hit the wrong link. I have posted a few topics that no one or just one or two folks have replied to. I had some skimmer questions hanging out there. Posted one tonite as a matter of fact.

Glad you have pics, everyone wants to see pics vs blocks of text.

That's funny. Its the whole "feeling accepted" thing, isn't it?? At least I'm decent at the pictures so that I can do!

Featherduster

I love the new aquascape. I wish mine would work out nicely. I also wanted to applauded you on your coral selection. You created a very colorful and diverse tank.

What is your stocking plan for fish/inverts? Since nanos are very limited in fish selection I wanted to get some ideas for unique inverts.

Hey FeatherDuster

It's slowly growing on me. Took forever and made huge mess. The rock by the toadie (there are two) really doesnt go there, I wanted the open cove look and still not sure where to put those 2 rocks (nicely corallined too).

Thanks...I love mushrooms and wanted as many colors as I could get. I got lucky with most of my corals, local swap here (that I have yet to attend but thankfully another NR member has gotten me some goodies that I wanted) and a local reefer is leaving the country and has to unload contents of his big tank.

I can't wait for the stuff to take off. Right now most of it is falling off...the rocks that is. Also one rock that the hammers on has GSP on it and only the first or so day after the redo did it show up, not sure what deal is, the rock is in about the same spot as it was.

Stocking: I'd like a clam, but not rushing into it, as they aren't cheap. I'm looking to rehome one of the ycg. I'd love another false perc clown.

Today I did get a marguerita snail, another nassarius, and 3 more blue legged hermits. I see too many empty shells, not sure who's actually missing.

I am not sure if I'd get another peppermint shrimp, I never see mine as is. As much as I'd like a starfish I'm leary of them in a reef tank. Truly I'd be happy with another clownfish. Or some purple colored fish, lol. Like color variety in my corals and critters.

Next major purchase most likely will be the Mitey Mite RO.

Featherduster

lol the hard part about a reef tank with frags is waiting for them to grow. I know I will have to distract myself with something else once I get all the frags I want. If I don't then I might end up trying to setup another tank. I finally went down from 5 to 2. They are so much fun to start, but lots of work.

The nassarius snail is a good suggestion. I wish they were more available around here.

Have you considered a cleaner shrimp or a Porcelain crab? I find porcelian crabs amazing with their filter feeding and cleaner shrimp are very active.

Never gave those two a thought. I will research them out.

Our LFS has a lot of different snails, just never seem to have what I want when I go.

Dont get me started counting tanks. I have the ones in my sig running now and a 55g set up but empty in bedroom, and about 10 more asst sized tanks in closet and garage. And yeah, I'm thinking of that Finnex. I must be nuts. (and I have 3 lg dogs and don't ask how many birds).

Matt

I hear ya. Thankfully all the freshwater tanks do not need as much attention as the salt, but it is something I've really got to consider. I have given thought to overcrowding my 12g cube by sticking all the guppies in it (it has 4 platies, 2 neons, 1 otoclinus already and is totally planted (read: algaed) ...to have one less tank (guppies are in the 6.6g bookshelf).

Then I could have a spot for that sweet 4g Finnex to sit, in my office next to computer. But this is gonna require considerably thought.

I've gotta go surf you thread to see how your cubes doing too.....

Latest FTS, realized when I redid tank pics had skimmer bubbles in it.

FTS186-7.jpg

Nothing new really since last update, but I have decided to take the plunge and get another tank. I've decided on the "uglier" Jalli 4g vs the "cleaner rimless" Finnex 4g due to the better wattage on the Jalli and the $20 price difference. This new tank will have black sand and probably those extra live rocks currently in this display in the "cove area). I've got enough coral frags so hoping won't have to put out too much of an investment once it gets going. Stay tuned for my 4G Jalli thread ;)

Thanks Foo....will be ordering it soon. First was should I or should I not. Then it was Finnex or Jalli. Now it's where the heck am I gonna put it!

Update:

Looking to upgrade my lighting to a 150w Sunpod. Not having much luck on the boards so far. Anyone got one, PM me with details.

UPDATE: My new used lite is on its way (Thanks Kevin)

Will be doing these 2 mods/additions shortly to my CPR Skimmer, since that soapdish is an eyesore and my chaeto is not growing.

I'm planning to put my cheato into the return chamber and clip on my Palm light, thanks to a tip from Greg at utahreefs.com

Also will be adding (it's ordered) wooden air stone and will snake the airline down the last chamber and up and around so the stone is set at the bottom of first chamber...creating more bubbles to make the skimmer more efficient. We shall see how this goes since I'm short of outlets and both the Palm lite and air pump will need one.

Also getting a move on for my PICO REEF project. Hope you'll check out the thread when I get it going. Stay tuned.

Archived