Pod Your Reef

DEKAND's 34g Solana Diary/Build-up

dekand

Your tank is awesome. I am going to purchase the same tank but was considering the 250W light with the 6 lunar LED lights. Do you think this is too much lighting fo rthis tank. My LFS said it might be overkill??

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've been super busy over the past 3-4 months so the tank has been basically in auto-pilot mode, other than accidently getting rid of a big colony of xenia (was i using freshwater while doing some pruning? oops), i just did a 25% water change today and moved some stuff around and got rid of some sand in the front of the tank because i want to get some polyps growing to form a zoa mat all the way around the front, so i'll have some pics up here soon.

"BUSY" is not a excuse bro!!!

Serious, good to see your still around. I look forward to the pics!

ximmortaldeathx
"BUSY" is not a excuse bro!!!

Serious, good to see your still around. I look forward to the pics!

Whatsup man.

i just read your whole thread.

i also own a solana except i have been busy trying to start and grow my business so the last year has been bad for my tank but now im comfortable once again so im definitely going to focus on my tank, your aquascaping is definitely an inspiration for me.

i have a few questions,

-how do you deal with coraline and algae growing on the glass?

-what do you do about the detritus on the sand and what comes out of the chaeto, mines when it grows if you so much as touch it its crap everywhere.

anyways keep postin!

• 1 month later...
...your aquascaping is definitely an inspiration for me.

i have a few questions,

-how do you deal with coraline and algae growing on the glass?

-what do you do about the detritus on the sand and what comes out of the chaeto, mines when it grows if you so much as touch it its crap everywhere.

anyways keep postin!

Thanks man! Sorry for the uber-delayed response, lots going on in my life and unfortunately updating my tank thread hasn't been a priority! I know shame on me, i suck, etc i get it!

As far your questions,

1. Razor Blade, only thing that works and it's super easy and fast, i just did all 3 glass panes a few days ago to get some coraline/hard green algae off, it works like a charm, just gotta be careful, especially around the silicone (i just picture myself slicing it and 34 gallons coming crashing out... lol)

2. I used to have a diamond goby that kept the sand spotless, contemplating getting another one maybe a bit smaller soon, but at this stage i don't have too much build up on the sand and if i do i'll suck it up with a water change...

hope that helps...

Also for a tank update, as of today, a little over a year in, i FINALLY added an auto-top off, i can't believe i dealt with that for this long... i haven't gotten to enjoy it yet but i'm sure a week from now i'll be raving about how much easier my life is... not to mention how much more stable my salinity will be...

I need to update my signature because half the stuff has changed,

Current Livestock is:

2 B&W Clowns (goin strong, i love these 2 fish they have been with me from the get go)

1 Black Cap Basslet (seems to be doing well, i love this fish, pics soon)

1 Coral Beauty (just got him yesterday as a trade, so pics of him soon too)

1 Cleaner Shrimp (he's molted about 20 times, he's seems to love his home)

No real new coral additions or subtractions, just have been letting things grow, but i honestly have a love hate relationship with my xenia, they are gorgeous in my tank, very fat and pusling, but they just grow too fast and i can't just have them where i want them unfortunately...

Anyone know of any easy ways to rid the entire tank of them? Unfotunately they have grown on some key pieces of my aquascape so i can't just take the rock out... bummer, I wonder if Aptasia-x would kill them?

IMG_7231.jpg

IMG_7233.jpg

and for the biggest addition ever... looks like im going to be a dad! Now i'll be on here even more rarely, ah!

Picture1.png

WOW congrats on your new baby. good times.

Love your xenia forest. some people dont really like them but I think they add a great dynamic to the tank with their movment.

You can trim the Xenia easily with scisors. (spelling bah) Although sometime they grow from the cut stalk. Then sell them back to your LFS. Xenia ships really poorly so small %'s arrive alive. They might be interested in some frags.

B

it's a little dark, but he's still shy and my camera died right when he decided to come out and pose... more later!

IMG_7313.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Solana34Hog

Beautiful tank bro. My solana just finished cycling. Time for clean-up crew. Couple of questions... Are still using the stock skimmer? I just turned mine on today since the cycle is over and it seems to be already pulling out some pretty good stuff. My other question is about the clean-up crew. If you had to do it all over again, what would you have gotten? BTW I love your clowns man. My fiance won't let me get black percs. I'll give you one guess what she's making me get. If you guessed a "NEMO" you're correct. Freakin' movie! :angry:

Solana34Hog

Oh yeah, congrats on the little one! If this is your first one let me give you some advice as I now have a 10 month old. Sleep through the pregnancy! Your mind and body with thank you later. :D

Thanks for the congrats guys, and here are some updates (pics!) of the tank...

i am probably about to start getting some "nicer" corals for it soon, i want some encrusting stuff/more sps and just some more variety, but one thing i definitely want to do is get rid of my xenia as much as i can, so the rocks on the left and right will be gone once they grow out a bit more and i'll trade them in for some new rock + other frags. They just simply grow TOO fast and take over space for things that i want in the future.

Anyways i ended up having to get rid of my old crocea clam with the xenia i traded in as one big rock, didn't feel like splitting it cuz it looked cool, so i swapped it out for a similar one and slapped it right in the zoa garden and forcefully told it to stay put, and magically, thankfully, it did! i think it looks really cool surrounded by zoas, and i hope they grow onto it's shell.

I also picked up another really cool clam you can see at the top of the tank, not sure on final placement, most likely put it somewhere under the frogspawn once i get some new rock in there, probably put it back down on the sand with a rock under it so i can place it wherever, i can tell you though the colors really shine on this clam way up top, it opens up a lot more as well, so maybe i'll keep it high up...

the black cap basslet and coral beauty are doing great, both eating prepared food (pellets) with the clowns and shrimp. i hear it's hard to keep the black cap's so i'm happy he seems to be comfortable in the tank, he is out and about with the other fish 90% of the day, they all get along quite well.

OH! and the auto top-off, is AMAZING... ah that has been the best money i've spent in a while, and i'm sure my tank appreciates the stability, and i appreciate the once a week fill up rather than daily.

on to the pics already... i am having a bit of brown algae on the sand, unsure why, but didn't feel like waiting to take pics till it cleared up so deal!

IMG_7317.jpg

IMG_7323.jpg

IMG_7333.jpg

IMG_7343.jpg

IMG_7346.jpg

Beautiful tank bro. My solana just finished cycling. Time for clean-up crew. Couple of questions... Are still using the stock skimmer? I just turned mine on today since the cycle is over and it seems to be already pulling out some pretty good stuff. My other question is about the clean-up crew. If you had to do it all over again, what would you have gotten? BTW I love your clowns man. My fiance won't let me get black percs. I'll give you one guess what she's making me get. If you guessed a "NEMO" you're correct. Freakin' movie! :angry:

Yes i am still using the stock skimmer, i only run it while the lights are on, the noise annoys me at night, so it's on the same timer as my light, has been working fine for months...

Update:

Just installed a new bulb, my stock one was over a year old so I upgraded to a 20k XM 150w bulb and well, wow it's a whole new tank... I am sure it'll be a little less blue once broken in but still it's a world of difference from the old 14k bulb. I'll have picture comparisons once I let it break in some more...

Here is a picture of some blue Paly's that I got that I love, they have a kenya tree growing out the middle of them, i'll have a pic of that later.

IMG_7369.jpg

Well here is a shot of the new 20,000k XM 150w bulb... just a day old, quite blue, but i'm definitely loving the color i'm getting from the corals, my ricordia are like brand new corals, now i've got to work with camera settings to get good pics again, but safe to say i'm happy with the change in bulb... my blue/green tort is also coming back to life.

Also re-arranged some things, will have some new rock pieces in soon as i'm getting rid of the 2 rocks with xenia on them (waiting on some rock to cure at the store).

20k XM

IMG_7373.jpg

Old 14k Stock bulb

IMG_7317.jpg

Some goodies

IMG_7395.jpg

IMG_7393.jpg

IMG_7388.jpg

IMG_7385.jpg

My frogspawn is pissed from being moved so it'll be a few days before it's back to it's full out glory but i'm just trying to make a lot more room for new corals and my old arrangement just wasn't an efficient use of space... so more pics when i get more rock and corals in!

Paleoreef103

Great tank! Watch those Xenias though! They're absolute weeds! Gorgeous pulsing awesome weeds, but still...

ohhh trust me i know, they are being slowly moved out of the tank to get rid of them, i loved them for a while but they grow WAY too fast, and take up too much space for other gorgeous things i want ...

Archived