Top Shelf Aquatics

DEKAND's 34g Solana Diary/Build-up

dekand

Bad Company

If you already got your pistol shrimp, make sure you rocks a firmly placed in the sand bed, my pistol shrimp pretty much collapsed my whole aquascape last week the 2nd night I had him.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah all my rocks are on the bottom so i'm not too worried about that...

quick update: pic of my first ricordea splitting...

ba237b10.jpg

Updated FTS:

Ricordea finished splitting (top 2)

Added a California Blue/Green Tort (Top Right)

Changed rockwork a little

Added some pulsing xenia from my brothers tank

Added Cleaner Shrimp

Added Small Zoa Frag

It's moving along nicely, and its really starting to look like more than just rocks now so thats nice... The cleaner shrimp rocks, always climbing up my arm when its in the tank (admittedly too much).

I need to find a better option for lighting my 2nd chamber/mini fuge as the submersible halogen just isn't providing enough light for the Chaeto, so updates on that when i figure it out.

c2874f59.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice tank. I love the Solanas. That's a nice hotel you have in the back for the fishies. That's what I call my cave. It's the fish hotel. :D

thanks, always appreciate compliments, your tank looks great as well! as for the "fish hotel" my clowns rarely go into the darkness of the hotel lol, i need to get a fish that will utilize the many caves i have in my tank... and i need to update my sig as i don't have a yashe/pistol pair, so its just the 2 clowns and diamond goby as of right now... i might be getting a yashe/pistol pair from my brother that i know are healthy and already paired up.

updates soon i promise!

Felt like taking pictures today so here's an update:

The yasha hashe goby never came out, aka it died, but i narrowed it down to a bad batch of gobies/pistol shrimp that the store got in, so i'm waiting for a replacement and a pistol shrimp, may get a known healthy pair from my brother soon.

I've recently started running filter floss on top of my 2nd chamber (where the skimmer overflows) and it has significantly cleared up my water of all the particulate matter that my diamond goby likes to sift into the water column, so i'm pretty happy about that because it was getting really annoying not having clear water but clean sand.

And the Xenia moved it self onto the rock but i wanted to try it in a few different spots in my tank so since i had 3 frags i am trying 3 different spots, i really want them to grow thick and fat like my brothers tank that i got them from, so i'm trying to figure out what the key to that is, his are very densely packed and pulse constantly. I don't like when they grow long stalks and are all separate from each other. Anyone have a lot of experience with Xenias and how to get them to grow nice and fat?

[April 23, 2008] FTS

IMG_5713.jpg

Frogspawn

IMG_5695.jpg

ORA Blue Tort

IMG_5703.jpg

Cleaner Shrimp (he's molted twice in like 2 weeks, crazy...)

IMG_5709.jpg

Candy Cane (getting fatter...)

IMG_5711.jpg

Left View

IMG_5718.jpg

Right View

IMG_5720.jpg

thanks lalani! yeah its pretty large and in charge haha, i love it i just hope it doesn't get TOO big but i guess if it does i'll just have to frag it... i really would like an anemone on the other side of the tank to balance it out and id pray my clowns would one day decide to host it but that wont be for a while and its gonna have to be an anemone i really really like...

Doubt the anemone would stay in the place you want it to, but that is a nice idea. Fragging frogspawn is pretty easy, as long as you don't crush the branch where the tissue is.

Everything looks very happy and fleshy. I miss having fish. I had a bunch of fish casualties, though I was going to have a tank crash, but everything is slowly coming back hooray! Sorry about your fish death, it's always upsetting.

Doubt the anemone would stay in the place you want it to, but that is a nice idea

Yeah i know thats my only worry is it moving around all over and stinging things in the process, but i guess id just have to watch it like a hawk, i work from home so i have the luxary of being around my tank all day!

Everything looks very happy and fleshy. I miss having fish. I had a bunch of fish casualties, though I was going to have a tank crash, but everything is slowly coming back hooray! Sorry about your fish death, it's always upsetting.

It's all good, fish and things die, my guess is it was just already too stressed from shipping, i actually got another yasha hashe and pistol shrimp last night, i drip acclimated them for 45 minutes and released them, as of this morning they are both still alive, i caught a glimpse of the yashe before it went back into the rear of the tank, and the pistol has taken up a home right in the front under my right rocks which i hope he stays! and more importantly i hope the yashe finds him once he's a little less shy... we'll see :)

It's all good, fish and things die, my guess is it was just already too stressed from shipping, i actually got another yasha hashe and pistol shrimp last night, i drip acclimated them for 45 minutes and released them, as of this morning they are both still alive, i caught a glimpse of the yashe before it went back into the rear of the tank, and the pistol has taken up a home right in the front under my right rocks which i hope he stays! and more importantly i hope the yashe finds him once he's a little less shy... we'll see :)

Ah. I had a really bad three weeks for my tank. I upgraded my lights (to 150w MH) and the corals were having trouble adjusting. Then I had a temp drop (10 degrees) and a temp increase (11 degrees) all within 24 hours. Then two weeks later the power went out in the middle of the night for two hours. I lost everything but my mushroom corals and rics. Now a month and a half later (or so) I'm finally getting back on track, thank goodness. I got a naked clown today, which is extremely exciting.

Man that really bites! sorry to hear that... but just keep at it and i'm sure it'll be worth it... we have 2 naked clowns at the store, they are awesome if i didn't have two black and whites i'd probably get them...

I saw my yashe eat when i fed the tank, so im happy about that, he seems really healthy but still skittish, hiding in the rockwork in the "fish hotel" as you called it :) The pistol may have moved from his spot as i haven't seen him but theres a lot of rubble around it so he may just be tucked away, its not really a burrow so i think he may have found a proper hole to hide in... i'll be crossing my fingers until i see them together in a burrow, hopefully not in the back of the tank :)

(btw what part of louisiana are you from? I'm from Lafayette)

hahaha, well luckily the only sports team from louisiana i really have ties with is the Saints ... i moved from there when i was like 10 but all my family is there, so i didn't really have time to get into any sports there, however i was born into being a Saints fan so i will till i die, or they kill me, which is likely to happen first.... lol

I know what you mean. I've always had faith in the Saints..... Faith that they will LOSE. -_-

It's like a train wreck every season.... except when they bring in all new players and head coach, they do well those years, then it all goes downhill again....

I know what you mean. I've always had faith in the Saints..... Faith that they will LOSE. -_-

It's like a train wreck every season.... except when they bring in all new players and head coach, they do well those years, then it all goes downhill again....

Yep pretty much, well this weekend is the draft and all i can hope is they pick up the defensive pieces they need, because the offense they have right now is too good to be losing because of a crappy defense, so as we say every year for the Saints... THIS IS THE YEAR! lol ;)

FyrFighter2004

Yeah well all I can say is that my cowboys got Pac-Man Jones <_< , if hes not in jail when the season starts, THIS IS OUR YEAR ha!

Tanks looking great BTW. yall need to get some new clams in so i can buy one!

Yeah well all I can say is that my cowboys got Pac-Man Jones <_< , if hes not in jail when the season starts, THIS IS OUR YEAR ha!

Tanks looking great BTW. yall need to get some new clams in so i can buy one!

HAHA cowgirls what? lets not get into that here, we'll save that convo for me you and dane at the store!

and we just got some nice looking ones last night, and one that is too big to fit in a 5 gallon bucket, come by and check em out, not sure how long the big one will be there but we got a few small ones that looked really nice im about to go check them out actually...

Been following your thread for a bit and just wanted to say how nice and clean it looks. I really like that ORA Blue Tort....what an awesome piece and looks like you are getting some nice growth out of it. Did you get it locally or online?

FyrFighter2004
HAHA cowgirls what? lets not get into that here, we'll save that convo for me you and dane at the store!

and we just got some nice looking ones last night, and one that is too big to fit in a 5 gallon bucket, come by and check em out, not sure how long the big one will be there but we got a few small ones that looked really nice im about to go check them out actually...

HAHA alright

Sounds good, I'll be by after work tonight then to check them out. Ill go ahead and reserve that big one for my 24g! HA

Did yall ever figure out what was killing all of the others off?

Been following your thread for a bit and just wanted to say how nice and clean it looks. I really like that ORA Blue Tort....what an awesome piece and looks like you are getting some nice growth out of it. Did you get it locally or online?

Thanks! Yeah i like the blue tort too, can't wait to compare pictures a few months from now and see how it's grown... I got it locally, we got about 4 in and i just had to grab one i had been eyeing some other ones we had for a while...

HAHA alright

Sounds good, I'll be by after work tonight then to check them out. Ill go ahead and reserve that big one for my 24g! HA

Did yall ever figure out what was killing all of the others off?

Well i looked at them last night and theres one really cool one, maybe the others needed to color up (do clams do that?) but there is one nice one like i said, and i almost bought it, but it may still be there for ya... and i don't know why the ones in the coral tank died, i think thats why he put these in the display refugium to see if it was the tank or that batch of clams...

Archived