Top Shelf Aquatics

DEKAND's 34g Solana Diary/Build-up

dekand

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

bluespot jawfish, there are 2 you can see the other one hiding out in the left corner... and these are not in my solana for anyone who didn't read the whole thread, i have a 46 bowfront setup just for them :)

I can't tell you guys how awesome it is to watch these bluespot jawfish work, they are little engineers it's really cool, in the photo below all you see is a hole in the sand, but its really a lot of big/small rocks covered in sand to "camouflage" it i guess... me and a friend were leaving to go out to eat and ended up being late because we just were watching them for like 15 minutes and didn't want to leave haha...

Can you spot them :)

IMG_6118.jpg

this ones burrow is nice and constructed, the other one i just added a bunch of small rubble for it to use and it has started to burrow immediately after i did that so i guess it just need some construction materials!

IMG_6104.jpg

Wow man....those are awesome. I'm not sure if you've seen Stoneywaters thread but he created a really awesome burrow for his out of PVC....looks like yours are nice and happy.

Absolutely beautiful specimens as well. Congrats.

Man those fish are amazing looking. Someday I will setup a tank for jawfish, until then I will just live vicariously through your tank, lol. Nice setup too.

Mischeif Nite

Man, that pictures hilarious! It's like somebody burried him up to his neck in sand....."little help please?"

What's their diet like? Complex to feed?

Wow man....those are awesome. I'm not sure if you've seen Stoneywaters thread but he created a really awesome burrow for his out of PVC....looks like yours are nice and happy.

Absolutely beautiful specimens as well. Congrats.

Thanks man, i think i have seen stonywaters thread but i will go back and look again i don't remember seeing the pvc burrow, though i've heard of people doing that.

Man those fish are amazing looking. Someday I will setup a tank for jawfish, until then I will just live vicariously through your tank, lol. Nice setup too.

i certainly recommend setting up a tank for them, they are really fun to watch! and i'll have some video in the near future so you can live vicariously even better haha

Man, that pictures hilarious! It's like somebody burried him up to his neck in sand....."little help please?"

What's their diet like? Complex to feed?

yeah since i took that picture he's been scurrying about the tank and dragging rocks back to his burrow to create another "level" so i'm sure that'll be covered with sand tomorrow and just look like a hole again, you wouldn't believe the size rocks these guys can move with their mouths!

i am just feeding them frozen mysis right now and i just pour it in and they go after it, no spot feeding needed with these 2 they will swim all the way up to the top of the tank to get food if it's there, so i'm really happy about that because eventually i want more fish in this tank and i don't want to have to feed them with a turkey baster...

Mischeif Nite

That's awesome....most of the time the coolest fishes are the biggest pains in the arse to keep....very cool

Your tank is amazing.......I hope mine turns out half as good! I just ordered the solana and am super excited!

thanks man! always appreciate compliments!

check out this picture, i thought it was worth posting haha

IMG_6204.jpg

So my two jawfish managed to use up every single piece of live rock rubble available for their homes, so naturally i added about 1.5 lbs more to the tank of just .25"-2" pieces, needless to say they are happier than pigs in ____.

anyways i managed to catch a little slideshow of one of them lifting a rock, its ridiculous how big of a rock these guys can manage to lift and swim with, so awesome to watch!

IMG_6238.jpg

IMG_6241.jpg

IMG_6242.jpg

IMG_6243.jpg

IMG_6244.jpg

yes i know i need a video camera!

What awesome fish....must be incredible to watch them construct their "houses."

Any more pics of your SPS from the Solana?

What awesome fish....must be incredible to watch them construct their "houses."

Any more pics of your SPS from the Solana?

No i haven't gotten any pictures lately because i'm working on getting it healthier, it seems one or both of my mexican turbo snails had it out for it and were knocking it over every night, my fault for not puddying it in but i wasn't sure thats where i wanted it forever, anyways it's not looking terrible but it definitely needs some help so hopefully in the new more secured spot it wont get knocked over and will do better...

Ok now for an update on the tank this thread is about!

I did some re-arranging on the right side to make more room for frags, i just didn't like that the frogspawn was taking that entire area up and i wanted it up top. So i think it all worked out for the best, i didn't get anything new just moved it all around. The byproduct of this is that i finally made a really nice low-flow spot for my xenia.

The reason i like them in low flow is because thats when they really get fat and start to pulsate really hard, it looks way better than stringy xenia flowing in the current in my opinion.

I also moved my clam to the rock to see how it likes it there, i personally like it better there so we'll see.

And my zoa's seem to be growing fairly well, i put together a little animation to see it in action and thought i'd post it as well.

UPDATED FTS, May 23 - 2008

IMG_6326.jpg

Zoa Growth (Over roughly 2 months)

zoa-growth.gif

FyrFighter2004

Looks good man. I haven't seen you around the store recently, your brother was talking up that big sale coming up in few weeks. Ill definitely have to check that out

• 4 weeks later...

So it's been a while since i've updated, I haven't really had a reason to as it's been a while since i put anything new in my Solana.

On a sad note, i haven't seen my Yasha Hashe goby and pistol shrimp in about a month, i believe i hear the pistol shrimp every few days, but i think the diamond goby may have killed the yasha, as i saw signs of aggression between the two before. Sucks but not much i can do, i will not be adding another yasha as much as i liked them.

Zoa's are still growing well, and i just added some really nice blue zoas.

My xenia will be out of control soon so i need to figure something out (why can't zoas grow as fast? :) )

And finally I have added a Mystery Wrasse, i debated for a while while it was at the store whether to get it or not and decided to when we had our big sale since i got him half off. Let me just say it's an awesome fish, it brings a ton of color to the tank and personality. He swims in and out of any hole/crevice he can fit in and is pretty fun to watch. I havent seen any signs of aggression between him and the other fish so thats good.

Anyways pictures as always:

IMG_6565.jpg

IMG_6570.jpg

FTS [ June 17 2008 ]

IMG_6572.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
dustbunny86

I enjoyed reading your diary/build up and I especially love your Ricordeas and all your zoas! Good job - it looks very nice.

I enjoyed reading your diary/build up and I especially love your Ricordeas and all your zoas! Good job - it looks very nice.

What all do you have in chamber #2? Also have you done anything with about the ATO?

Thanks

What all do you have in chamber #2? Also have you done anything with about the ATO?

Thanks

thanks guys, always appreciate the comments!

all i have in chamber 2 is chaeto with an old aquarium hood light, i need to get in there and trim it down because it is packed with chaeto it grows so fast...

i haven't gotten an ATO yet but seriously considering it soon as its getting harder for me to keep up with the top-off as i've been out of the house a lot lately.

I should have a picture update once i do a water change and some cleaning...

• 3 weeks later...

Very nice tank...I have been looking around to get some ideas for my 28g. Nano Cube and your tank is definitely inspiration...Keep up the good work... :D

• 5 months later...
Great posts and inspiring pictures as well! Any updates on how the tank is doing lately?

I've been super busy over the past 3-4 months so the tank has been basically in auto-pilot mode, other than accidently getting rid of a big colony of xenia (was i using freshwater while doing some pruning? oops), i just did a 25% water change today and moved some stuff around and got rid of some sand in the front of the tank because i want to get some polyps growing to form a zoa mat all the way around the front, so i'll have some pics up here soon.

Archived