Cultivated Reef

DEKAND's 34g Solana Diary/Build-up

dekand

the rockwork looks great! And I'm officially addicted to ricorea (adds that to the ever growing "to get" list)

Lovin the clowns too, I plan on adding a pair of percs to my nano and gold stripe maroons to my 90. Kind of a drag setting up two tanks at once, but oh well.

Definately will be tagging along in this one

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

*Update*

So a little while after i originally set my tank up, after the dust settled and i analyzed every spec of it i noticed quite a few scratches that i know for a fact weren't from me as I never touched the front glass, but thats neither here nor there, but i've been waiting on a replacement from Current USA and finally got it friday, so i spent all day saturday swapping tanks (boy that was fun! i recommend it to everyone :) )

Tested water yesterday and nitrates and ammonia were a little above normal, to be expected i guess considering i moved the original sand bed but nothing out of control. Anyways everything actually went really smoothly and i didn't lose anything, the dust has finally settled and my tank is nice and clear again. So i took the opportunity to bring back the lawnmower blenny unfortunately he was cool, and contrary to popular belief was well fed in my tank with the natural algae, every night he'd have a huge stomach... but i just wanted to do something else with his "spot" as a fish in my tank i guess, and this was the only time i had a shot of getting him out since i was moving the rocks...

A few days before the switch (didn't know when the tank was getting here) i picked up a Diamond goby to keep my sand bed clean as it was always pretty dirty and other than creating a sand storm for a while he's doing a pretty good job and is a fun fish to watch.

I also traded in my Xenia as it just wasn't the type of Xenia that i thought it was at the store i guess... either way i picked up another Ricordea frag with 1 big head and one small this one has a bit more blue than my first frag, and i'm waiting to get some all blue ones soon. I want the entire rock i have the current 3 on to be all Rics...

I think the new rockscape is awesome, it completely hides the return lines and gives me plenty of room for all the things i have planned, and on top of that i just think it looks cool... opinions are welcome :)

[/end novel]

77524971.jpg

Looking good man. Love the setup. We have similar setups with the stand, light and placing it in a corner of the room. I love how the light bounces off and hits the walls at night. The aquascaping looks cool too, looking forward to seeing some more additions. I'm dying waiting to just put in some CUC hah.

9e32c1c5.jpg

bd5eb4c8.jpg

Tank is looking great and a nice new tenant. He needs to get fed real soon. got pods ;)

Just kidding, I don't even think these guys eat pods.

What kind of substrate are you using bro?

CaribSea Arag-Alive

Tank is looking great and a nice new tenant. He needs to get fed real soon. got pods

Just kidding, I don't even think these guys eat pods.

He pretty much sifts all day, but he will also swim up and eat the pellets i feed the clowns so thats comforting knowing that i don't have to worry about him getting all his food from the sand bed...

as far as pods go, not sure if they eat them or not, at any rate my original pod population got wiped out but i have a mini-fuge in back with some chaeto now and i just added some Reef Pods to it so hopefully they can start re-generating...

Update: March 20th 2008 - 2 months old

Ok so i'm sure you guys love that my rockwork is different pretty much on EVERY update... i can't help it i get a new coral and the placement of things just changes to suite it i guess... or i find that although there are certain things i like, they may not be practical. So hopefully this is the last major change to the rockwork, but i can't guarantee anything, but i need to stop in order to get my zoa's to start spreading at the very minimum.

We have an enormous frogspawn at the store so I managed to get a nice chunk of it for a good price as well as a candy cane i've had my eye on for a little while. I have it pretty high in these pics but I have since lowered it since recommended placement seems to be lower in a tank with MH, let me know your opinions on where you'd place it...

I also got a small frag of zoas (ID Please) that look really cool and fortunately im getting some really cool blue zoas today that are being fragged.

Its starting to look like a reef in there, still waiting on my Yasha Hashe Goby and Pistol Shrimp ...

and for the good stuff:

3061588f.jpg

6d8007aa.jpg

9182421b.jpg

(ID Please Below)

ec4a5522.jpg

775783d6.jpg

Sexy Shrimp

I loved the the original rockwork but the new rockwork is just the best! You have caves to his plus lots of shelves to put corals!

Nice frogspawn. How do you get your sand so clean?

you can thank mr. diamond goby and the 10 nassarius snails for that :)

I loved the the original rockwork but the new rockwork is just the best! You have caves to his plus lots of shelves to put corals!

yeah thats what i've been trying to accomplish, its a learning experience, the more corals i get the more i realize i need practical places to put them, so the rockwork gets changed, but i think from now on since im really happy with this 'scape, i'll be gluing the frags down instead of making spots for them...

stratosphere

Wow - looks great. Love the 'scape and your coral placement. Keep the updates coming!

Also, I've been tagging along and was thinking about getting the same fuge light I think you got (from here). As far as I can tell the lightbulb it comes with is a regular halogen bulb, which would have a color rating of about 3000k, whereas on here I've read that chaeto needs more like 6500k... So I was wondering how your chaeto is doing after a few weeks with this light in the fuge?

Wow - looks great. Love the 'scape and your coral placement. Keep the updates coming!

Also, I've been tagging along and was thinking about getting the same fuge light I think you got (from here). As far as I can tell the lightbulb it comes with is a regular halogen bulb, which would have a color rating of about 3000k, whereas on here I've read that chaeto needs more like 6500k... So I was wondering how your chaeto is doing after a few weeks with this light in the fuge?

thanks for the compliments, always appreciated!

as far as the chateo, i honestly can't say, it certainly isn't losing any volume i don't think but i wouldn't say its growing outragiously haha... i think it does a good enough job maintaining it and probably a slow growth, but im not looking for it to grow so fast that im trimming it down all the time anyway since that rear chamber isn't that big ya know?

hope that helps!

stratosphere

Thanks - sounds good. I think quite a few folks on here have had success with halogen bulbs in their fuges, so it's worth a try. I ordered that light last night and if it doesn't work it was only $15 with shipping, right? :D

so i got a 46 gallon bowfront from my aunt/uncle for free... and since i can't put certain fish in my solana, this will become my jawfish tank :) just trying to decide on whether i want 2 bluespots or a few pearly's ... we'll see, i may start a thread for this tank but probably not, might just throw in shots of its progress occasionally on this thread...

29fc3da8.jpg

Got some rock into the 46, all of it is secured on the bottom all the way through the sand bed so i don't have to worry about the jawfish collapsing anything, and i wanted it to be pretty sparse, not a pile of rock like a reef tank, im pretty happy with the results...

6931802c.jpg

after waiting on the cycle with my first tank, i've learned to enjoy this period of time with a new tank... so it's fun, still trying to decide on 2 bluespots or a few pearly's, but really leaning towards the bluespots after watching them in the store yesterday, they are just awesome fish...

FyrFighter2004

My guess would be that the sand bed isn't deep enough. Ive got a pearly and i love him, If my tank way bigger i would definitely get a bluespot. Have you though about doing both?

yeah the sandbed in my solana is only about 1.5-2" at most so not nearly deep enough for happy jawfish, the sand bed in the 46 is an average of 5-6" with a lot of live rock rubble for them to move around... i haven't thought about doing both pearly's and a bluespot but it could be pretty cool, lots of options to think about i guess, well thats what the cycle time is good for :)

yeah the sandbed in my solana is only about 1.5-2" at most so not nearly deep enough for happy jawfish, the sand bed in the 46 is an average of 5-6" with a lot of live rock rubble for them to move around... i haven't thought about doing both pearly's and a bluespot but it could be pretty cool, lots of options to think about i guess, well thats what the cycle time is good for :)

Ahhh man you're killin me. I want a jawfish so bad... but I am still going back and forth about it because I have an open top and my sandbed is 2.5-3" (which I think would be ok). Also if I wanted to get another burrower, there would be problems in the aquapod. Oh well, looking forward to seeing yours, those bluespots are hard to find and high price but look amazing. The pearly jawfish in the LFS by my place is a character, and the main reason why I wanted one in the first place.

• 2 weeks later...
Your tank looks awesome. :D I want your rics :P

I have to agree... Tank, I mean TANKS are lookin' awesome bro!!!

thanks guys (and gals) :) ... always appreciate compliments! it looks like my first Ric has decided to start splitting, it has 2.5 heads already and is splitting into equal sized parts and seems to be doing it fast so we'll see how long it takes to totally separate ... everything else is going good BUT the yasha hashe didn't make it im afraid, never saw any remains but did get a decent algae bloom and haven't ever seen him but he's getting replaced next week, seems it was a bad shipment ...

more pics soon :)

Archived