SaltCritters.com

My 34g solana rimless cube...

dailydriven911

dailydriven911
how is the tunze skimmer over the stock? Big improvement or only a little?

It's a huge improvement because my stock one decided to stop producing anything. It was loud and really annoying to clean. I love the tunze! It's super quiet, easy to clean and has a much bigger collection cup. As far as skimmate production I'm getting some nice tea colored stuff right now but I'm skimming wet. I'll post a pic in a few days. :)

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the pics - that was a huge help. So, it looks like you had to cut one of the walls in the rear chamber to make room for the skimmer - right?

dailydriven911
Thanks for the pics - that was a huge help. So, it looks like you had to cut one of the walls in the rear chamber to make room for the skimmer - right?

Nope actually it fit right in there. Just had to remove the bracket attachments. :)

• 2 weeks later...
dailydriven911
\

what size power heads are you runnig on this?

Two k2's and a tunze 6025 along with the stock return.

Amerijuanican

so, if you take out the stock skimmer (mine no longer works very well either! been 4 months and it crapped out after 2!), you can just drop the Tunze right in there? Does your water level stay where it was originally designed to? (right under the little rim for holding the trays). Thanks.

dailydriven911
so, if you take out the stock skimmer (mine no longer works very well either! been 4 months and it crapped out after 2!), you can just drop the Tunze right in there? Does your water level stay where it was originally designed to? (right under the little rim for holding the trays). Thanks.

Yep I put some flat l/r rubble pieces in there just to raise the skimmer where it should be and the water level is right on with the ato sensor in the third chamber.

dailydriven911

More pics...

added a nice tri color nana yesterday

solanacubepics628.jpg

added a beautiful tricolor (similar to ac loripes but a bit different) blue/purple tips, teal base and green polyps...

solanacubepics627.jpg

and a few random pics...

solanacubepics626.jpg

solanacubepics629.jpg

solanacubepics630.jpg

The tank is looking great and I love the tri color nana. If the tunze skimmer fits in that easily I may replace mine as well...

dailydriven911
The tank is looking great and I love the tri color nana. If the tunze skimmer fits in that easily I may replace mine as well...

Thanks yours as well! Yeah for $20 I couldn't pass it up. :) It fits in the middle chamber just perfect but it does need to elevate off the bottom about 4" or so.

Thanks yours as well! Yeah for $20 I couldn't pass it up. :) It fits in the middle chamber just perfect but it does need to elevate off the bottom about 4" or so.

$20 for the skimmer??? What a deal - if you run across another deal like that let me know!!!!

dailydriven911
$20 for the skimmer??? What a deal - if you run across another deal like that let me know!!!!

Sorry I meant the tri color nana... :lol: Skimmer was $90

• 2 weeks later...

very nice tank, i just recently got a solana. However I'm having a really big problem with the stock skimmer putting out tons of micro bubbles. From you earlier pictures it looks as though you weren't having that problem. I removed the little bio-balls from the skimmer that were said to be micro bubble diffusers. Is this the problem? It's only been running two days, so is it still just breaking in?

Livingonline

I bought a Solana about a month ago and was thinking that I would go bare bottom. After seeing yours I am definately going that route. Do you have any problems with the rock shifting?

Biocube14GAL

how do you like the tunze skimmer so far? any new status? I plan to buy one because the stock one is crazy noisy is it night and day from the stock skimmers noise? anyone else have this problem?

• 2 weeks later...
Amerijuanican

did you have to take the magnet off the back of the Tunze 9002? I just ordered one for my Solana, it will be here on Monday!

Biocube14GAL

I plan to build a stand for the tunze skimmer.. does it perform better when it is even with the water flow coming from the first chamber? or does it need to be slightly higher or lower? Is 4inches too much ? I was thinking maybe slightly higher than 4 inches?

• 4 weeks later...
dailydriven911
very nice tank, i just recently got a solana. However I'm having a really big problem with the stock skimmer putting out tons of micro bubbles. From you earlier pictures it looks as though you weren't having that problem. I removed the little bio-balls from the skimmer that were said to be micro bubble diffusers. Is this the problem? It's only been running two days, so is it still just breaking in?

Yep just breaking in so far...I'm sure you know that by now.

I bought a Solana about a month ago and was thinking that I would go bare bottom. After seeing yours I am definately going that route. Do you have any problems with the rock shifting?

Nope not yet... :)

how do you like the tunze skimmer so far? any new status? I plan to buy one because the stock one is crazy noisy is it night and day from the stock skimmers noise? anyone else have this problem?

I love it! Super quite lots of skimmate every day or two and so easy to use and clean.

did you have to take the magnet off the back of the Tunze 9002? I just ordered one for my Solana, it will be here on Monday!

Mine came with the brackets and not the magnet so I would try and use the magnet if you can. If not just remove it and build a platform for the skimmer to stand on in the middle chamber.

how do you like the phosban reactor

I like it alot. I run carbon and po4 remover.

I plan to build a stand for the tunze skimmer.. does it perform better when it is even with the water flow coming from the first chamber? or does it need to be slightly higher or lower? Is 4inches too much ? I was thinking maybe slightly higher than 4 inches?

I think it likes the water a bit higher. I keep my mine at the water mark of the tunze skimmer or just above. Skims like a champ.

where does the input and output on your phosban reactor go?

I have mine in the third chamber. The mj400 goes to the middle input and the output returns to the same chamber.

Couple pics with the new Helios 20k...

I'm getting ready to install a 250W lumenarc. How did you aclimate your corals when you switched from the 150W? What bulb did you have before the helios 20k. I currently have a phoenix 14k with the 150 W fixture. I thought about going with that on the 250. It does seem to turn all the corals green though.

I'm getting ready to install a 250W lumenarc. How did you aclimate your corals when you switched from the 150W? What bulb did you have before the helios 20k. I currently have a phoenix 14k with the 150 W fixture. I thought about going with that on the 250. It does seem to turn all the corals green though.

Flinster,

I too have a solana and have swapped out my light, I now have a 250w plus 2 t-5 actinic maristar fixture with 14k pheonix bulb...I love that bulb over my tank. I get crazy colors out of my sps...I have acros and montis with better color in my tank than in my bf's tank which is where all the parent colonies are.

When I switched out my lights....to acclimate the corals, I cycled the light for a week, I would turn on for 1 hour then off for about 3 hours, then back on for an hour then back off...for a day...and slowly added an hour per day...making sure the lights were off for a couple of hours before turning the lights back on again...I did not have any bleaching or problems with acclimating this way. Was a little labor intensive, but luckily I don't have a job right now...so I was able to spend the time with my tank when I did this.

Cristina

Flinster,

I too have a solana and have swapped out my light, I now have a 250w plus 2 t-5 actinic maristar fixture with 14k pheonix bulb...I love that bulb over my tank. I get crazy colors out of my sps...I have acros and montis with better color in my tank than in my bf's tank which is where all the parent colonies are.

When I switched out my lights....to acclimate the corals, I cycled the light for a week, I would turn on for 1 hour then off for about 3 hours, then back on for an hour then back off...for a day...and slowly added an hour per day...making sure the lights were off for a couple of hours before turning the lights back on again...I did not have any bleaching or problems with acclimating this way. Was a little labor intensive, but luckily I don't have a job right now...so I was able to spend the time with my tank when I did this.

Cristina

Thanks Cristina. I have an acjr so I can accomplish that pretty easily with a little programming.

Archived