Top Shelf Aquatics

My 34g solana rimless cube...

dailydriven911

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Added a ACjr, JBJ ATO, and rio mini sunlight for the converted refugium and some new livestock additions.

Here are a few new pics...

What all mods have you done to the tank? I was looking into getting one for my office but being this is the first run of these tanks I'm sure there are kinks that need to be changed...what do you think should be changed on this tank or added? Does the sunpod metal halide lights make the tank too hot? Did you ditch the ATO that came with the tank and just do your own? Why? I hear the newer version of this tank coming out in spring 08 is going to have a refugium in the back? Thanks for any info-it helps to hear from someone that already has this tank what can be improved or needs to be improved.

dailydriven911
What all mods have you done to the tank? I was looking into getting one for my office but being this is the first run of these tanks I'm sure there are kinks that need to be changed...what do you think should be changed on this tank or added? Does the sunpod metal halide lights make the tank too hot? Did you ditch the ATO that came with the tank and just do your own? Why? I hear the newer version of this tank coming out in spring 08 is going to have a refugium in the back? Thanks for any info-it helps to hear from someone that already has this tank what can be improved or needs to be improved.

In the second chamber I removed the top drip plate and filter and placed the cheato with a rio mini sunlight led light over it and a 14" flourescent sits behind the tank. I now have a jbj ato with a 5gallon tub that sits in the stand. The sunpod works great no heat issues at all. I do run a small 6" fan that blows over the surface of the water. The skimmer works okay but I'd go with a deltec mce300 or 600 in the skimmer chamber. I'm evntually going to add l/r rubble to the same chamber as well. I would go with a custom stand because the one that comes w/ it is small and not the sturdiest. They should have added a refugium to the current one. I would wait for that one...:) Sorry it took awhile to get back to ya...

Jayson

Killer tank. I have been thinking of getting one of these for about 2 weeks already and I can't decide. But now that I see yours I might just go out and get one. Very cool.

dailydriven911
Looking good man. Keep up the good work.

Thanks I appreciate the kind words!

Killer tank. I have been thinking of getting one of these for about 2 weeks already and I can't decide. But now that I see yours I might just go out and get one. Very cool.

I'm happy with the tank so far my only complaint is the skimmer. It worked good for awhile but it's not pulling enough dark skimmate out. I'd like to eventually upgrade to a deltec mce300. Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
gilbertjanke
Beautiful! I love the 'scaping.

DailyDriven, im in love w your tank. Im 90% decided on getting a Solana, but dont know what to do with lighting yet.

Any problems running an HQI MH on that baby? I dont want and cant afford a chiller so im very curious about your success? Tank isnt running too hot?

Thanks a bunch!

did u jus siphon out the sand? im plannin to go bb too but not sure on how i should safely do so....:unsure: love da aquascaping btw :happy:

dailydriven911
DailyDriven, im in love w your tank. Im 90% decided on getting a Solana, but dont know what to do with lighting yet.

Any problems running an HQI MH on that baby? I dont want and cant afford a chiller so im very curious about your success? Tank isnt running too hot?

Thanks a bunch!

Thanks I'm in love too... :D As for the light I'm having zero problems w/ heat. It stays between 78.5-79.5 degrees. I'm using a 6" fan that is blowing across the tank to help disapate the heat. Before the fan it was between 80.5-81.5 degrees.

dailydriven911
Beautiful! I love the 'scaping.

Thanks! I'm happy with how it turned out. :)

did u jus siphon out the sand? im plannin to go bb too but not sure on how i should safely do so....:unsure: love da aquascaping btw :happy:

I did a total makeover. I took everything out and placed into tubs for about 24hrs and emptied all the water and cleaned out the tank. I was up 34 hours straight :o I ended up loosing two fish a shrimp and clam in the process. I'm still stumped as to why? Stress or the carpet anenome I had at the time stung them. Not sure. :huh: I then setup the new aquascape and filled with new water. I then acclimated everything and placed back into the tank. Thanks I like the scape better this time around too.

-Jayson

Thanks! I'm happy with how it turned out. :)

I did a total makeover. I took everything out and placed into tubs for about 24hrs and emptied all the water and cleaned out the tank. I was up 34 hours straight :o I ended up loosing two fish a shrimp and clam in the process. I'm still stumped as to why? Stress or the carpet anenome I had at the time stung them. Not sure. :huh: I then setup the new aquascape and filled with new water. I then acclimated everything and placed back into the tank. Thanks I like the scape better this time around too.

-Jayson

Hey Jayson,

I was going to do what you did but i dont want to lose my anemone and clam lol. I think im just going to siphon out the sand with all my livestock in the tank.......and jus refill back with new water...be like a water change lol

dailydriven911
Hey Jayson,

I was going to do what you did but i dont want to lose my anemone and clam lol. I think im just going to siphon out the sand with all my livestock in the tank.......and jus refill back with new water...be like a water change lol

I hope it works out for ya! Lmk how it goes and post your results... :)

Well im now BB.

Took me a good 2 hrs to do it lol. Never doing something like that again. I had to tear down 90% of my rockwork to siphon the sand and dietrus. Overall I like the look of BB and my new rock work :) Still nothing like yours though Jayson :P

Archived