Coral Vue Hydros

Basser1 BC29 Updated 6/4/12

basser1

• 2 weeks later...
Hey gang, I didn't mean to neglect this thread, but I'm holding off on updates until I get the new lights. But everything is doing fine, even the Mr. Coral pieces! -_-

ETA on 13up Duo retrofit?

• 2 weeks later...

Time flies...I looked into this thread like more than 3 years ago haha! Not sure if you remember me, but anyway, look forward to a 2012 update of this tank.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Time flies...I looked into this thread like more than 3 years ago haha! Not sure if you remember me, but anyway, look forward to a 2012 update of this tank.

I was just on the first page and was like "OMG", then realized the date on the post was 2008. :D

Anyways, basser1, how's the red dragon doing?

Sorry gang that I haven't updated yet.

Brother you sure know how to put one together for sure !

Thanks, I appreciate it!

ETA on 13up Duo retrofit?

Dave got the 13up boards in, but I dont have my hood back because he is waiting on a new controller. He wasn't happy with what he had so he out-sourced them to another company. He's still waiting for them to come in and will send me the hood and everything complete. I'm hoping the wait won't be too much longer!

Hey Sahin.... You're right, it does go by fast!

Your tanks always look awesome! I looked at the last FTS pic and I really need to get a new one posted. The corals have really grown in to some nice colonies!

Do you mind if I ask you where you purchased your picasso clownfish? Interested in purchasing a pair down the road. Thanks.

I got mine from my local LFS who was a dealer for ORA. I got them right before the "designer clownfish craze"! I paid $250 for the pair over 3 years ago. Sadly though, my LFS has long since closed their doors. :(

I was just on the first page and was like "OMG", then realized the date on the post was 2008. :D

Anyways, basser1, how's the red dragon doing?

Asureef... Yeah the tank definatelty looks different now! ;)

The red dragon is still doing great! I find it is one of the easier acros to keep and it likes lower light to bring out the red. Higher light and it is more pinkish in color.

On another note, how are you Mr. Coral pieces doing? I still have mine, but they are really slow growing. Slower than my other acros. Maybe because they are wild corals? :huh:

bigceez01

Nice work!! Im trying SPS in my tank, but only getting polyp extension at night.. How often are you changing your water?

• 1 month later...

Hey All!!

Well, it's been a long time coming, and better late than never, but I finally got my LED BC29 hood with Dave Fasons' new LED's. It features 2 of his 13up boards with Rebel Leds. Each board has 1 deep red, 3 cool white, 2 neutral white, on one series and 5 Royal Blue ES, and 2 Blue on the second series, for a grand total of 26 leds!

I would like to say that since I put this on my tank over the week-end, I'm seeing colors in my corals I have not seen before and I'm very impressed so far. I have these turned way down so I don't run the risk of bleaching my corals.

As a comparison, the first pic is a FTS with the MH and 2 UVL-R 50/50 actinics. The large colony in the middle top was looking very brownish and I almost threw it out:

bc29may24009.jpg

The second FTS pic is one I took today. Now look at the same coral under Dave's light.... WOW!! What a differrence! And the Red Dragon acro looks better as well as the King Midas Zoas!

hpim3396.jpg

I've been on the fence about LEDs for awhile and I'm glad I made the change. One big advantage is my room doesn't sound like a 747 taking off with all of the fans running. I had a total of 6 fans running and now I have the 2 fans in the hood, needless to say it's a lot quieter! ;)

• Like 1
Wow! What a difference! Everything looks great.

Is that an elegance in the bottom left?

Hey Spiro...... That is a Duncan coral and the clowns really like it! ;)

Nice setup. What percent are you running the leds?

Thanks. I have the whites turned down to 30%.

Spirofucci
Hey Spiro...... That is a Duncan coral and the clowns really like it! ;)

Thanks for the response! That must be quite a piece. If you ever get a chance a pic or two would be nice!!

Thanks for the response! That must be quite a piece. If you ever get a chance a pic or two would be nice!!

Will do!

In the meantime, here is a pic from the on-line vendor where I bought it from! When I bought it, it had long branches. Since I have it in the sand bottom, I don't see them.

duncan8heads79991.jpg

Dave is the man.

Looking good.

Yes, Dave definately does some fine work! :bowdown:

Now I'm waitin' on his fancy, shmancy controller! omgomgomg

• 2 months later...

Do you still have your BSJ? I'm contemplating on getting one. Do you find 3" substrate is enough? Did you make a 'home' for it (PVC)? Any special considerations other than a lid obviously?

• 5 weeks later...
Do you still have your BSJ? I'm contemplating on getting one. Do you find 3" substrate is enough? Did you make a 'home' for it (PVC)? Any special considerations other than a lid obviously?

Sorry for the delay in responding. No, unfortunately, I do not have him anymore. The substrate depth should be fine. As far as a temporary home goes, I just used a small piece of PVC and buried it at a slight angle. But he soon gave that up and dug his own burrows.

• 3 months later...

Updates with some 13UP coloration pics please? This thread has been a great read, my jam dropped when your tank crashed. I am planning a DIY LED using Rebels, mimicking the combo of the 13UP.

Hi Basser! Saw this thread again after someone bumped it up. I'm glad they did. I see that your tank is back from that heater breaking. Very happy to see that. I hope we get new pics soon.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
MyLiquidBlue29BC

I'm thinking of getting a NanoBox a Retro fit, too. I was just wondering how you are liking the lights and at what % you have the lights up to now.

The update photo from Markalot is great!

• 3 months later...

Sorry for the delay in responding. No, unfortunately, I do not have him anymore. The substrate depth should be fine. As far as a temporary home goes, I just used a small piece of PVC and buried it at a slight angle. But he soon gave that up and dug his own burrows.

Basser, you still owe us an update. :D Please!