Top Shelf Aquatics

dshnarw BIOTOPE

dshnarw

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OMG WTF ARE THOSE?!?!?

:lol: Ring of fire...my favorite zoas :)

AHAHAHAHA :haha:

Tank looks really good by the way! :)

Thanks!

Nice, Daniel. Good to see you are back in the game. I hope everything is going well for you and the Mrs!

Everything is going great so far...

we're about to get a new puppy (he's 5 weeks old now), I just got a new Mazda3 hatch since my old car finally kicked the bucket, and we're looking for a house to get out of this apt...supposed to look at more this weekend, and one is actually in our price range and NOT a foreclosure :D (Just in case anyone's looking...foreclosures are AWFUL houses from what we've seen. Probably the nastiest places I've ever been in my life, and my father does maint. on section 8 housing.)

In tank news...I have an "outbreak" of small white critters on the glass. Not spirorbids...they're oval-shaped, with smaller, off-white round spots on their "undersides", around 2mm, and they move around the tank (looks like they're eating algae off the glass). Can't get a pic to save my life. Since I have the wrasse, I can't imagine they could possibly be flatworms or they'd be eaten before I ever saw them. I think they may be baby limpets, but I can't find a photo of anything similar. Anyhoo...they're multiplying in number every day, so I'm just gonna wait it out. Definitely not bothering anything since they're pretty much all on the front glass.

• 2 weeks later...

omgomgomg omgomgomg

After a year...

I FINALLY COMFIRMED THAT I HAVE A MANTIS SHRIMP!!!!!!!!!

I think it's Gonodactylellus viridis, or a closely related species. It's appeared twice now, apparently as a result of my having rescaped the tank and destroying it's home. Definitely a smasher - I've heard the popping since last summer, back when this tank was a mere 12g AP, nonbiotope. A little under 2" long, bright green. I don't know what he's been feeding on, but I suspect he took out a few smaller snails.

A distribution search of Gonodactylellus species shows that most species do live in the area around Singapore. I'll have to see if I can find pics of similar species from one of the blogs.

Lights will be on later...maybe he'll be out again and I can get a pic and better look. Need some pics of the new rockscape anyway.

:scarry: Whatcha gonna do?

i dunno...i tried trapping it with all sorts of traps last summer/fall with no success.

probably just hope that it'll stay small and stick to good behavior. If I find one of my cowries smashed, though, it's on!

Needreefunds
......... If I find one of my cowries smashed, though, it's on!

:lol:

LOL, Thanks D, ice cold Silver Bullet through the nostrils after reading that line.

I hope he continues to behave. Looking forward to the pics. :)

a few photos for now...i took a lot. new scaping means i have something newish to photo...

IMG_5360.jpg

IMG_5359.jpg

IMG_5357.jpg

IMG_5355.jpg

IMG_5352.jpg

IMG_5350.jpg

IMG_5349.jpg

IMG_5348.jpg

IMG_5346.jpg

dahliaheartsyou
IMG_5350.jpg

IMG_5349.jpg

IMG_5348.jpg

Oh my god, your tank, it is...FREAKIN AMAZING! along with your top-notch photo skillz!

What are these pics of? *I feel dumb for asking :(*

IMG_5345.jpg

IMG_5342.jpg

IMG_5341.jpg

IMG_5338.jpg

IMG_5337.jpg

IMG_5335.jpg

IMG_5330.jpg

IMG_5327.jpg

IMG_5324.jpg

IMG_5323.jpg

IMG_5321.jpg

IMG_5319.jpg

Oh my god, your tank, it is...FREAKIN AMAZING! along with your top-notch photo skillz!

What are these pics of? *I feel dumb for asking :(*

thanks. :D my tank shots disappoint me sometimes though...so hard to shoot through glass and water.

those are mini carpets - the "maxi" variation. I have about 25-30 of the maxi mini carpets and about 40-50 of the mini mini carpets in the tank right now.

dahliaheartsyou
thanks. :D my tank shots disappoint me sometimes though...so hard to shoot through glass and water.

those are mini carpets - the "maxi" variation. I have about 25-30 of the maxi mini carpets and about 40-50 of the mini mini carpets in the tank right now.

That is how I always feel about my tank pics, especially with the rounded corners <_<

OMG! that's what I thought they looked like, but like a million times cooler than my minis!

How big do they get?

Also, dumbed question, but have you noticed the mini carpets overpowering any other corals?

IMG_5337.jpg

long tanks are so much prettier than tall ones...

or maybe it's just your tank lolz

That is how I always feel about my tank pics, especially with the rounded corners <_<

OMG! that's what I thought they looked like, but like a million times cooler than my minis!

How big do they get?

Also, dumbed question, but have you noticed the mini carpets overpowering any other corals?

supposedly 12 inches. Biggest I've seen is 8", biggest I have is 5". Most will never get anywhere near the large end since they get cut in half for aquaculturing at 2-3"

They don't seem to bother SPS at all, unless they just shade them out. Softies, especially zoanthids aren't especially happy about having them around - mine would never fully open with a mini carpet touching them - but they don't die back either. I had some orange zoas with a mini on top of them for a couple months and never lost polyps, but they only opened enough to see their mouths. LPS will die back, but it takes a couple months before you'll notice tissue loss on anything. And my gorgonian (looks like GSP between the zoanthid pics in my second post of pics today) was never bothered by them sitting all around them.

I always liked the long/wide tanks. This one is nice because it's not only 3 feet long, but it's also a foot and a half front to back. Hard to show in the pics really well, but the overhangs I made on the right hand side of the new rockscape each hang out about 8" over the sand towards the front of the tank, and I still have 6" of open water to the glass for cleaning and fish swimming room.

^^I think someone is sucking up :D

IMG_5319.jpg

I think this needs to find its way into my baby plate garden at some point. It only seems fitting. :):D:lol::P;) Along with the baby Halomitra. :o:D

I think this needs to find its way into my baby plate garden at some point. It only seems fitting. :):D:lol::P;) Along with the baby Halomitra. :o:D

you might get the million baby plates on the skeleton, but the baby Halomitra stays put... not taking chances with it

*sigh* You're making me want a new macro lens...

:lol: me too...with a camera attached :D

you might get the million baby plates on the skeleton, but the baby Halomitra stays put... not taking chances with it

:lol: me too...with a camera attached :D

Whats going to happen to it in my tank? There is nothing in there to bother it.

Not going to happen!! You might get a new lens, but you are not getting a new camera anytime soon. :P

Whats going to happen to it in my tank? There is nothing in there to bother it.

Not going to happen!! You might get a new lens, but you are not getting a new camera anytime soon. :P

i dunno, but 50g of water + skimmer is better than 2.5g of water if something happens.

*sigh* i tried...

Did I just hear the crack of a whip? :lol:

Yeah...gotta keep trying though...one day that whip will fall apart and I'll have a new camera in my hands :P

AdriftQuasar

I would just love to have a camera that isn't a point and shoot. DSLR, ftw.

Seeing so many fantastic long, broad, and shallow tanks makes me want to convert. Thanks for adding to the temptation.

Archived