• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bubbles3660

• eddie29

• Lalani

• WhiteShark

bubbles3660

> tank looks good. i realy like the doughnut coral.

It is a very crafty critter.

snail_brain.jpg

> oh yea... clean those power heads :P

Yeah, the algae growth has been very aggressive - and I've been very lazy.

--bubbles

bubbles3660

Some new additions...

Blue shrooms

blueshroomMedium.jpg

I thought this Sargassum macro algae was developing seed pods but they are actually tiny sacks of air that the plant uses to float its branches towards the light.

kelpMedium.jpg

New pink bubbletip anenome

bubbletipMedium.jpg

--bubbles

Edited by bubbles3660
  • 2 weeks later...
bubbles3660

Some new shots...

Benny the Blennie

bennyMedium.jpg

"This reef ain't big enough for the both of us."

nem_battleMedium.jpg

New blasto

newblastoMedium.jpg

--bubbles

• 2 weeks later...
Updating my 75 gallon project...

I've forgotten the name of this new sps - spirolina?

spiroMedium.jpg

stylophora :) nice tank btw. that catspaw (stylo) is nice. just got one myself. yours will color up better to more pink to almost purple.

• 4 weeks later...
bubbles3660

FTS - May 30, 2008.

fts_05_08Medium.jpg

I harvest a handful of that sargassum off the rock each week. Grows like crazy.

The condy retreated under the rock after being harrassed by the bubble tip. Both are doing well in their new spots. The bubbletip's colour has changed slightly to pinky/salmon. After initial buyer's regret, I've come to appreciate the condy. It is less aggressive than I expected and likes to stay put. It also retains its lovely violet/purple colour. I still do a fish count every morning though. :)

Concerns: I've had a few aptasia pop up. (Joe's Juice worked well.) I've also had some bubble algae appear but it isn't spreading all that quickly. I know most people think it is a scourge but I find it fascinating to look at. The donut is not doing as well as it did in my BC14. I may have to go back to feeding it using the bottle method.

--bubbles

Edited by bubbles3660
fish n' pets

What type of live rock did you use and where did you get it? I'm setting up a 75 gal. and I was thinking of putting 60 lbs. of live rock in. I don't want to get into a situation where I end up wanting to get more rock later, because I have to order it all online and shipping will be expensive enough once! Your aquarium looks great, by the way.

bubbles3660
What type of live rock did you use and where did you get it?

It's mostly fiji with a little tonga mixed in. ~65 pds worth. I purchased it from my lfs.

--bubbles

• 1 month later...
bubbles3660

Hi All,

Updates on my tank. The good, the bad, and the disappeared. My pink bubbletip has retreated behind the rock thanks to constant harrassment by my clowns. My orange plate coral has been relegated to the fuge for the same reason.

New blue tip acro.

blue_acroMedium.jpg

Encrusting monti. Started out purple but then went a dull brown under the halides. :(

encrustingMedium.jpg

Monti cap chip that I rescued and glued to the rock. Starting to grow in.

new_montiMedium.jpg

"Feed me. Feed me." Prime suspect re: my missing royal gramma.

condiMedium.jpg

A very abused maxima rescued from my old 3 gallon. It has survived a tank crash, massive salinity swing, power outage, and pyramid snail attacks. Much happier here.

maximaMedium-1.jpg

Don't be fooled by his innocent smile. He's planning something really evil. I just know it.

pure_evilMedium.jpg

FTS - July 21st, 2008

FTS_july21_08Medium.jpg

--bubbles

• 3 weeks later...

Updates:

I just fragged the hell of out my torch. Left two heads. It revealed some halimeda macro algae that I didn't know I had.

torchMedium-1.jpg

Rainbow Meat Coral

meatMedium.jpg

Candy canes swapped for some torch frags.

caneMedium.jpg

Up close and personal with my condi.

condyMedium.jpg

My bubbletip has completely withdrawn behind the rocks. I'm starting to suspect my cowrie snail is harrassing it. I've watched it munch on a few softies. Anyone in T-Dot want a free snail?

FTW August 11, 2008

fts_aug08Medium.jpg

--bubbles

Edited by bubbles3660

Still more updates...

Toadstool swapped for a torch frag.

toadstoolMedium.jpg

Amazing purple monti. When I first saw it I thought it was just coralline.

purplemontiMedium.jpg

Blueberry gorg. (I know. I know.)

blueberryMedium.jpg

--bubbles

• 2 months later...

Updates...

New Anthias

anthiasMedium.jpg

Halimeda/Caulerpa

caulerpaMedium.jpg

Catspaw (note the crab at the base)

catspawMedium.jpg

Monti

montiMedium-1.jpg

"Are you talking to me? Are you talking to me?"

mandarinMedium-1.jpg

GSP

gspMedium.jpg

Three year old crocea.

clamMedium.jpg

"What do you mean I am upside down? It is *you* who is upside down."

jacquesMedium.jpg

--bubbles

• 2 weeks later...

Tank looks GREAT.....

Are you finding that 2x150 is sufficient for good growth and color? Looks like it is. I was planning a 75

and was debating between 150 and 250. Since I'm looking at basically the same species you have was just

wondering...

Thanks

Edited by Mojorizn

Awesome tank Bubbles...

Geez, I thought my gf's BTA was pink! Definately not compared to yours!

Re that crab in the sps, is he part of ur CUC or hitchhiker? If he's a hairy crab, get him outta there, he'll eat your polyps off the sps. FYI.

Are you finding that 2x150 is sufficient for good growth and color? Looks like it is. I was planning a 75

and was debating between 150 and 250. Since I'm looking at basically the same species you have was just

wondering...

I'm satisfied with the 150 so far (and so is my wallet). But if you can afford it I would go with 250 because you can never have enough light. With the exception of that one encrusting monti the colour is holding on my sps. My clams have never been happier. The green acro has lots of growth on the tips but there is some regression on the base where the light doesn't reach. I will be switching to 14K from 10K when I swap out the bulbs in a few months.

--bubbles

Edited by bubbles3660
Re that crab in the sps, is he part of ur CUC or hitchhiker? If he's a hairy crab, get him outta there, he'll eat your polyps off the sps. FYI.

Hitchhiker. I've kept a close eye on him for a few months and he appears to be benign. He lives in the branches and keeps things clean so I think he's just an acro crab. I also have two smaller white acro crabs living in the blue tip. They are a really cool ivory cream colour with a black band across their eyes. Space age! I have one other mystery crab hitchhiker who I am not so happy with but I haven't caught him in the act yet. He's definitely a predator. He hitched over from my previous tank. My one remaining store-bought mithrax was killed by my condi - which I wouldn't have believed possible if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes.

--bubbles

Tank looks awsome. I just purchased a 75 gallon oceanic tank (haven't picked it up yet from the owner though).

Have you had any issues with the tank overheating? I was planning on setting my tank up infront of a window (with no direct sunlight) and putting on a cooling fan just to make sure that the water temp remained stable. I keep my apartment pretty cool so I'm thinking I'll be okay but just wanted to ask someone who had already been there.

Have you had any issues with the tank overheating? I was planning on setting my tank up infront of a window (with no direct sunlight) and putting on a cooling fan just to make sure that the water temp remained stable. I keep my apartment pretty cool so I'm thinking I'll be okay but just wanted to ask someone who had already been there.

I use a 1/10 chiller in the summer with the glass top removed. I run it pretty high @ 82 degrees because the chiller is underpowered. I don't have ac so I have a temperature failsafe on my lights using the Reefkeeper II to control things. In the winter it gets so cold in the apartment that my tank remains a consistent 78 degrees day and night. Overheating is never a problem in Soviet Kanukistan. :)

--bubbles

Interesting. I'm not going to be using metal halides (getting an 8 bulb nova extreme), and I may be doing an open top (probably actually). I'm thinking I'll be okay as far as heat is concerned. The previous owner had the tank set up similar to how I will be setting it up (infront of a window) and never had any probs with heat.

how big is your clean up crew?

how big is your clean up crew?

Currently:

8 astrea

6 nassarius

1 turbo

at least 10 stomatella (hitchhiker)

1 tiny conch (hitchhiker)

2 cerith (hitchhiker)

1 cleaner shrimp

2 peppermints (for aptasia)

at least 4 hitchhiker crabs

I got rid of the cowrie because it started to munch on my softies.

--bubbles