Coral Vue Hydros

Cycling New 75 Gallon

bubbles3660

Hi Nanopeeps,

Just starting to cycle my new money pit...

75galcycleMedium.jpg

75 gal / 48" long. On top coralife twin 150 MH HQI with 2 actinics and four moons. 70 lbs live rock (I think I need a little more height.) plus seeded aragonite. The only addition to the display will be two koralia 4's on either side of the tank. (thanks Vic)

My 30 gallon sump is in the base and that's my main concern because I was hoping to fit a Euro reef or octopus skimmer in it but I don't think I have the headroom for those 20-22" models. Any suggestions for something a little more squat that could handle 75 gallons?

Denizens of my old overcrowded BC14 await. "So when do we get to move in?"

oldtankMedium.jpg

--bubbles

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bubbles3660

• eddie29

• Lalani

• WhiteShark

how tall is the stand inside?? Most stands have about 28"ish of usable height inside the stand, so you could easily fit almost any skimmer inside there.

My stand is only 23.5" inside and my sump height is 16.5" which leaves me very little wiggle room (6" clearance). I don't think I would be able to wedge a 22" in there - a 20" might give me cup clearance. My mistake for trusting the LFS's advice!

Your oceanic looks gorgeous, btw.

--bubbles

You can get a Euro reef RS100 skimmer in there. it is only 20" high and zero clearance to take off the collection cup.

Can I see some picture of how you do your pluming? do you have a reverso durso or something in the sump to help with the noise?

Thanks

Edited by Capt_Nemo
My stand is only 23.5" inside and my sump height is 16.5" which leaves me very little wiggle room (6" clearance). I don't think I would be able to wedge a 22" in there - a 20" might give me cup clearance. My mistake for trusting the LFS's advice!

Your oceanic looks gorgeous, btw.

--bubbles

thanks, but I really never got that far into it before I upgraded again. You see the newest part of it?

As far as your skimmer goes, many skimmers have unions that you just spin off an require almost no extra clearance to remove the cup. I'd be more worried about trying to take the skimmer out for whenever you need to clean and service it. That being said, I would seriously consider an external skimmer so that you don't have to worry about removing it from the sump since that might be an issue with such a short stand. If you gravity feed the skimmer, just put a ball valve on the line to control flow. A good thing about this setup too is that you remove the feed pump (less electricity to use), and the skimmer pump isn't contributing heat to the system

Capt_Nemo: "do you have a reverso durso or something in the sump to help with the noise?"

Yes, I'm using a durso in the drain with flexible tubing into the center section of the sump. (fuge on the left, baffles then a RIO return pump on the right). Very quiet. My BC14 is noisy as hell compared to it.

Esabasard: "I got an Octopus in my stand. It has a zero clearance cup but even better, it has an output on the cup so that you never have to remove it."

Which model Octopus do you have? I was looking at the NW-110.

Eddie29: "You see the newest part of it?"

I eventually scrolled to the sump. Looks amazing. I probably should have gone pre-fab acrylic but it was a lot cheaper making it myself.

An external skimmer is a good solution but I would lose space for a future calcium reactor and CO2 canister down the road. I may have to go that route though.

--bubbles

new_ftsMedium.jpg

A week later. I've added two Koralia 4's to the sides. Alternating flow in 6 minute cycles using a Reefkeeper2. I used a dead shrimp to start the cycle. Readings were barely noticeable. A tribute to the cured live rock/sand or my crappy test kit? Who knows.

I added some more live rock a few days ago to build up the wall. As you can see the brown algae is already starting to take over on the older pieces and the substrate. So far so good.

Current readings:

Temp 78F

pH 8.01

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate .5

Phosphates 0

kH 10 (179)

Calcium 400

--bubbles

• 2 weeks later...

Update on my 75 gallon ~4 weeks in.

I went with the Euro-Reef RS100 skimmer in the sump. Bubbling away quite well. I am still fiddling with the skimmate consistency. The cup has JUST enough clearance to remove. A very tight fit - but it works. Fuge is on the left with two compact fluorescent bulbs from my old pico on alternate light cycle.

euroreefMedium.jpg

Crappy pic of my moons w/ no flash. I need a tripod.

moonsMedium.jpg

That's all. CUC are in and doing well. Ammonia/nitrite/nitrate all at zero.

--bubbles

the tank looks good i cant wait to see it's progress

Thanks. That anenome in your 40 gallon looks enormous. I'm thinking of getting an RBTA once my tank matures a bit.

--bubbles

watch out for the koralias on a wave maker, it kills them quick

and i think you should find some nice looking dead rock, lace rock, whatever as long as it is natural rock from the sea, grab 50-75lbs of it and add to the tank, no cycling will occur and the existing live rock will seed the "dead" rock and will become live and add enough natural filtration and biomass you wont have to worry about things, it will almost be self maintaining within a year i would say other than occasional water changes

Yes, I am a little concerned about that. I use a Reefkeeper II with soft start so it cuts down on the clanking. I will lengthen the wave cycles as well. (And fortunately the Koralia's are pretty cheap.)

--M

How many lbs of sand did you put in?

I'll have to check but I think it was forty pounds of arag plus fifteen pounds of live sand. Substrate depth varies from 1.5 inches to 2.5. I do have more of a DSB of live sand in my fuge - 3.5 inches.

--bubbles

and i think you should find some nice looking dead rock, lace rock, whatever as long as it is natural rock from the sea, grab 50-75lbs of it and add to the tank, no cycling will occur and the existing live rock will seed the "dead" rock and will become live and add enough natural filtration and biomass you wont have to worry about things, it will almost be self maintaining within a year i would say other than occasional water changes

If you add rock that was ever live you actually will see a cycle (atleast a small one). If you want to add more rock inexpensively check out marcorocks.com. They sell some really nice looking rock, but you will have to cure it outside your tank for a while first.

So far your tank looks great. Why don't you run it completely open topped? Just curious.

If you add rock that was ever live you actually will see a cycle (atleast a small one). If you want to add more rock inexpensively check out marcorocks.com. They sell some really nice looking rock, but you will have to cure it outside your tank for a while first.

So far your tank looks great. Why don't you run it completely open topped? Just curious.

I think I'm done with my rock purcha$e$ - that's what my accountant advises anyway. :)

I actually removed the top centre rock to offset the "wall" look of my scape. It's amazing how one little change will make the esthetics look much better. I did have a few spikes during cycling before my params went to zero. I had a final nitrate spike followed by a green algae bloom that looked like this:

greenlfs.jpg

The glass tops came with the package. Cuts down on evap and it's been so effing cold in my place lately that heat hasn't been an issue. It's not really visible in the pic but I took one panel off the back left quarter to accomodate my spraybar return and to help with surface gas exchange. I may have to get rid off all of them once summer hits. I've just installed an ATO.

--bubbles

All corals transplanted now...

My green donut.

new_donutMedium.jpg

Nasty torch has much more room now.

happy_torchMedium.jpg

Coralline encrusted rock from the old tank. Striking burgundy and green colours.

green_coralMedium.jpg

Crocea.

croceaMedium.jpg

My new cowrie. [edited]

conchMedium.jpg

--bubbles

Edited by bubbles3660
  • 2 weeks later...

Some new coral additions as of February...

Yellow polyps from my old tank.

yellowMedium.jpg

New pink anenome.

pinkMedium.jpg

Green acropora. My first stoney.

acroMedium.jpg

My much abused monti is doing very well now.

montiMedium.jpg

Full tank shot.

ftsfebMedium.jpg

--bubbles

good stuff, but that snail looks more like a cowrie than a conch

and why did you go with a condy nem?

LFS listed it as a conch. I've never owned either before so I don't know the difference. And I liked the look of the condy - though I know it's not likely the clowns will host.

--bubbles

LFS listed it as a conch. I've never owned either before so I don't know the difference. And I liked the look of the condy - though I know it's not likely the clowns will host.

--bubbles

Definitely a cowrie.

• 1 month later...
bubbles3660

Updating my 75 gallon project...

A wide variety of macroalgae has sprung from the live rock...

vegMedium.jpg

I've forgotten the name of this new sps - spirolina?

spiroMedium.jpg

The monti has been growing like crazy.

montigrowthMedium.jpg

A few days ago my condi started to deflate.

consdismallMedium.jpg

Then it decided to squeeze itself through a hole in the rock. Dumbass!

condisqueezeMedium.jpg

In ~ a month my green acro's growth went from this:

acroMedium.jpg

To this:

acrogrowthMedium.jpg

FTS - April 12, 2008

newerftsMedium.jpg

Dats all!

--bubbles

bubbles3660

A few more new shots...

Fuge plant life is starting to grow in.

fugeMedium-1.jpg

Mandarin on the pod prowl.

mandarinMedium.jpg

After a nasty tangle with my torch these blastos have finally found a safe haven and are starting to return to good health.

greenblastoMedium.jpg

--bubbles