Cultivated Reef

Oceans upgrade. Now 5 gallon reef.

constantocean

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
constantocean
If you guys want more info on all species of seahorses Check outwww.seahorse.org

and checkout ther site, they IMO have the most info I have Ever found on the net about Seahorses

Mike

already a member. lol.

thanks tho!

constantocean

Getting back to the topic, we had a nice little break with my seahorse post:

Despite the fact I am a huge fan of the "reef wall" aquascape, and its the scape i almost always use, I thought I would go for something different in this tank, but theres a reason for that, heres a new FTS (or a few):

100_2394.jpg

the reason I moved the rocks like this, is so that I now only have to move 2 rocks to access my heater control, rather than my entire aquascape.

100_2385.jpg

here you can see my new light. I got it for $26 including shipping. its a 2x13 watt. currently running one 50/50 and one actinic. I'm going to swap out the blue act for another 50/50 I think.

100_2384.jpg

that little branch rock in the front right is kind of just being used as a place holder, I'm going to swap it out for a small zoo frag in the future.

For a short time I was running 2 filters on the back, but the second filter was really noisy. So now I just have the original one that came with it, and it seems to be working great, due the large quantity of LR in my tank, I cut back on the amount of LR in the filter and just have a few small marble sized pieces now, but a whoooole bunch of chaeto. The way this one rock catches the falling water from the filter makes such a nice flow pattern, check it out:

100_2392.jpg

100_2393.jpg

Here is the filter with what I have stocked in it now, I took the old light out of the canopy I made and am now using it as a fuge light over the filter, some of the light even pours over into the tank, so my tank looks really nice:

100_2390.jpg

100_2389.jpg

I don't know if you can see this, but there is a nice little cave under my aquascape that takes up almost the whole tank and the peppermint shrimp LOVES it:

100_2388.jpg

100_2387.jpg

AND i finally found a sexy shrimp!!! I haven't seen one in an LFS for about a year now, and they only had the one but I was NOT missing the chance to get this guy:

100_2391.jpg

100_2386.jpg

That's all on my tank front, I'm still broke right now so no new coral, as soon as I have some money to spare I'm taking a drive to alti's reef (a sponsor here at n-r) to buy some corals.

In other news: The seahorses are doing great! They are already changing colors and adjusting to their new surroundings, the stress colors they were demonstrating at the store have disappeared. They are constantly eating and exploring! We even picked up another one so there are three now. We want to get one more If we can but there's no more locally.

We also got a clownfish for the nano cube, he is hosting the overflow now, quite a character of a fish. Yesterday he was hosting a snail, it was too funny.

That's all for now. I will update if anything changes.

avalanche1201

looks nice, make sure to keep that sexy fed or it will pick at your corals and piss em off all the time (at least mine did before I gave them to my friend)

Its looking good

constantocean
Sweet sexy!
thanks!!

SCRATCHES EVERYWHERE!!I can't deal with how easily this thing scratches anymore. I can't even get off the coralline spots without scratching the sides. I've decided I'm upgrading to an ADA small tank. (its the same size, just made out of gorgeous crystal clear glass) This upgrade won't be made anytime soon. I think I'm going to get my corals first. But once serious stocking begins I'm going to have to upgrade.

constantocean

Best news ever for me: So I got a call from Adventure Aquarium today (The NJ State Aquarium) about my volunteer application. And it looks like I'll be working two days a month at the aquarium cleaning tanks, feeding fish, and taking water samples. If I stay with them for a year, I get to do the shark shows where I dive in the tank and touch the sharks to impress the little kids and answer their questions, etc. Probably the most thrilling information I have ever received and I can't wait for my first day!

lilredneckman
Best news ever for me: So I got a call from Adventure Aquarium today (The NJ State Aquarium) about my volunteer application. And it looks like I'll be working two days a month at the aquarium cleaning tanks, feeding fish, and taking water samples. If I stay with them for a year, I get to do the shark shows where I dive in the tank and touch the sharks to impress the little kids and answer their questions, etc. Probably the most thrilling information I have ever received and I can't wait for my first day!

Sounds fun

I met a guy recently that works for the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach, CA. He found out I was a diver and I might be getting to dive in the "Blue Cavern". "This 142,000-gallon, three-story high exhibit features ocean inhabitants found off the coast of Catalina Island."

scott, that is bad ass! whenever I see the monteray bay aquarium on discovery channel I want to do that!

constantocean, I have been reading this as of recent. I am thinking about making about a 12" cube out of acrylic for desk tank at work. I am still trying to work out dimensions, but I have no idea on the light. I was leaning towards MH but maybe I can make the dimensions of the tank to easily fit with a t5 or PC fixure like yours.

tank looks good!

constantocean
scott, that is bad ass! whenever I see the monteray bay aquarium on discovery channel I want to do that!

constantocean, I have been reading this as of recent. I am thinking about making about a 12" cube out of acrylic for desk tank at work. I am still trying to work out dimensions, but I have no idea on the light. I was leaning towards MH but maybe I can make the dimensions of the tank to easily fit with a t5 or PC fixure like yours.

tank looks good!

scott, super jealous. thats too awesome. I am starting classes to get my certification in march.

dopamine, acrylic=evil, at least whatever type my tank is made out of, spend the few extra dollars and go with glass, you will be far happier.

well...I am going to do a mantis tank and I distribute plastics so I have all free acrylic here (3/8" - 1/2") and tons of novus and weld-on.

constantocean
well...I am going to do a mantis tank and I distribute plastics so I have all free acrylic here (3/8" - 1/2") and tons of novus and weld-on.

ahhhh you have the hook ups! i see i see. well at least if it scratches a replacement is only a day away. i'm ordering the ada small glass aquarium once my tank is stocked.

I met a guy recently that works for the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach, CA. He found out I was a diver and I might be getting to dive in the "Blue Cavern". "This 142,000-gallon, three-story high exhibit features ocean inhabitants found off the coast of Catalina Island."

The Baltimore Aquarium also runs a similar volunteer program for certified divers.

That sounds like a lot of fun! I wish I didn't live in the friggin desert. <_<

That sounds like a lot of fun! I wish I didn't live in the friggin desert. <_<

Can't you go diving in the shark tank at Mandalay Bay? :lol:

constantocean
Hmm... I wonder if they have an opening for a merman at
:D

you could totally do it!

actually isnt there a place in vegas that has like a HUGE saltwater tank with fish and sharks and theres like a waterslide that goes thro a tunnel under it?

I know I saw it somewhere and I'm pretty sure it was in vegas.

I'll try to dig it up.

you could totally do it!

actually isnt there a place in vegas that has like a HUGE saltwater tank with fish and sharks and theres like a waterslide that goes thro a tunnel under it?

I know I saw it somewhere and I'm pretty sure it was in vegas.

I'll try to dig it up.

"The Tank" at the Golden Nugget. I know about it but I've never been.

constantocean
"The Tank" at the Golden Nugget. I know about it but I've never been.

If I was every in vegas that would be the FIRST place I went.

mandalay bay has the giant shark tank you can walk "through" and take a cheesy picture where the photoshop a scary shark next to you.

congrats on the aquarium position!

im jealous of your step-seahorses too... i wanted to have one of those tanks but I just dont have the space in my apartment for ANOTHER tank (and brine shrimp hatching factory) :)

and i looked back far enough to see your ink. where's the eel?

Archived