Pod Your Reef

Oceans upgrade. Now 5 gallon reef.

constantocean

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
constantocean
Wait you have a sand sifting star in a tank with crushed coral?

its only got a very small small amount of cc in it. basically just a top layer. everything else is ls. and he burrows down to the ls. hes been in there about 3 months and is perfectly happy.

constantocean
That hermit with the the kenya growing on his back is too cool B)

thank you. he is my favorite piece in my tank at the moment. and for $8 unbeatable. My only fear is that the frag is already growing! Soon his shell might be too heavy for him.

constantocean
This tank is really coming together. I'm liking the nifty little DIY hood.

thank you =) tag along. much more to come. i have big plans for this little tank.

constantocean
Ok, you got me excited, show us more!

trying! trying! broke at the moment (as I am also gathering parts for a 75 gallon) As soon as I have a few dollars to spare, I plan on getting some rics and a few polyps.

thank you =) tag along. much more to come. i have big plans for this little tank.

I'm definitely tagging along, can't wait to see what you'll do next! What else do you plan on putting in your tank?

trying! trying! broke at the moment (as I am also gathering parts for a 75 gallon) As soon as I have a few dollars to spare, I plan on getting some rics and a few polyps.

You should put in some zoas. I'm addicted to zoas! I got some new pictures up, check 'em out.

constantocean

I went to the LFS yesterday and was rather disappointed. Both with selection and with service. Not that I can blame them, there were 2 families both buying biocubes with no SW experience what so ever. And only 2 people working.

Anyway, I had allotted myself $20 to spend. And since there was nothing worth purchasing really, I just bought some new live rock pieces, swapped them out for my ugly gray base rock. So I have a new aquascape and its 100% LR no base. Nothing really worth taking pictures of right now.

They had pygmy (pixie) seahorses there for $20, size of my thumbnail FULL GROWN. wanted to get one but the flow in my tank would have been too much for them, going to set up a special species only tank for them soon. (I've kept seahorses before, I know how hard this is going to be, but I'm up for the challenge.)

I did get a peppermint shrimp, he's doing his usual peppermint shrimp stuff and hanging out upside down in a cave. Hopefully I'll have some more corals soon. stick around. Oh btw, I killed the curlycue anemone, sad to see him go, but nobody wanted him and that rock was too nice to get rid of.

constantocean

its on a sad note that i must say i'm going to have to get rid of my walking frag. i'm going to cut the kenya tree off his back and glue it onto a rock. and then take the electric blue hermit inside back to the store. he killed a peppermint shrimp within 24 hours of me adding it to the tank. and also ate 7-8 asterina stars. that little wanker. i really liked him but im stocking this tank with nothing but shrimp, i can't do that if theyre all going to be eaten.

also, added 3 nice turqoise color shrooms.

i think the only corals im going to put in here are zoa's, just all different types, and some shrooms and a ric or two.

just thought i'd throw the update out there since its been a few days.

constantocean

I just took these so I figured I'd post it.

currently: no ammo, no trite, 10 trate.

salin at about 1.023.

new FTS:

100_2360.jpg

100_2361.jpg

fragged some new gsp. those are the new shrooms in the bottom right.

quick edit: i got a new peppermint shrimp today, since my last one went MIA. also moved the electric blue leg hermit with the kenya tree on his shell into the 12G biocube, I thought he'd cause less problems in there, hopefully wont eat any shrimp with all that space to wander and find other food sources.

constantocean

Okay guys! Well I figured I would drop off a quick update on the tank, but the real news here is: the secret I have been keeping from you all. The pixie/dwarf seahorse hexagon tank! Hippocampus zosterae. My sister felt left out since I have a tank and her boyfriend has a tank (the 12 gallon in previous posts). And we have a 75 gallon tank that we are all 3 setting up together. So with my help, we got her tank cycling. And altho they don't technically belong to me, I still love these little guys, and will be here to take care of them and hand feed them when she is away for the weekend. This is her first tank, so she will need some guidance, but I'm sure these little guys will do very well. I have kept seahorses in the past, but never the zosteraes. We have taken EVERY precaution in setting this tank up. And thoroughly put in hours upon hours of research.

Here is what you came for. The pics:

There are two horses for the record, we plan on getting more, but two is a start.

100_2366.jpg

100_2367.jpg

100_2368.jpg

^^^note here the low flow filter, covered in filter floss and left on MINIMAL flow. there are two more of these filters on the way. Both will be set up in the same fashion. One will hold LR rubble, the other will hold chaeto.

100_2369.jpg

100_2370.jpg

100_2371.jpg

100_2372.jpg

100_2373.jpg

100_2374.jpg

100_2375.jpg

100_2376.jpg

They are still exploring their new surroundings, so they are kind of hard to snap pics of at the moment. They were just released into the tank about 20 minutes ago after a 2 hour acclimation process.

constantocean
Nice. I am thinking about making my deco a seahorse tank. My LFS is going to help me get started with it if I am going to do it.
they aren't very good in a pico. especially since your pico is your first SW tank. They shouldnt be kept with corals either, certain species of corals will eat them. (anything with a large enough mouth) Also, your corals need flow, the horses need virtually no flow. They need to be in a species only tank with nothing other than some algae to hold onto. If you're seriously interested, consider purchasing another small and tall 2 gallon or so tank and setting it up especially for them. I'd be happy to help you along with setting it up.
cool, have fune hatch bbs everyday. They will breed like crazy.
already got that covered. the baby tank is in process of being put together. they are still babies themselves tho, and there are only 2 at the moment, we aren't expecting babies for a while yet. but when that time comes around, everyone keep your eyes open for some seahorse sales.
constantocean

well believe it or not they eat frozen cyclop-eeze already! they were raised on it. And have quite a healthy appetite. But the brine shrimp are on their way just in case and so they can have a healthy diet variety.

TheChosenReefer
they aren't very good in a pico. especially since your pico is your first SW tank. They shouldnt be kept with corals either, certain species of corals will eat them. (anything with a large enough mouth) Also, your corals need flow, the horses need virtually no flow. They need to be in a species only tank with nothing other than some algae to hold onto. If you're seriously interested, consider purchasing another small and tall 2 gallon or so tank and setting it up especially for them. I'd be happy to help you along with setting it up.

Really OK, Do they need any LR? Also and special lighting? If not I can get a new tank in about 2 weeks.

constantocean
Really OK, Do they need any LR? Also and special lighting? If not I can get a new tank in about 2 weeks.

LR isn't suggested due to the fact any hitch hikers can seriously injure the seahorses due to how small and fragile they are. We killed our rock before putting it into the tank, then left it in there to come back to life. If you are going to put in any LR, I suggest you do the same. Mainly they just need height and algae to cling to (chaeto). As far as lighting goes, they don't really need anything special, just enough so they don't get stressed constantly being in the dark. I have a power compact clip on the tank just because we (my sister and I) prefer the look of the PC light.

Archived