Pod Your Reef

Oceans upgrade. Now 5 gallon reef.

constantocean

constantocean
wauu, this tank i`ts very prety, i hope get something like this

Thank you.

I will post pictures next week after I order frags from altisreef of everything in the new tank. I love my new aquascape, just need to get some decent frags in there.

even my GSP wont open, how do you kill gsp?

I ran tests at both home and work on my water and couldnt find any out of balance levels.

I really think I was just cooking my tank with too much lights for softies.....I mean zoos will open under moonlights so they sure don't need a 65 watt bulb 6 inches over the tank.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
constantocean

I figured out what's ####### off/killing my zoos.

I have a sundial snail in my tank.

I went to remove him and.....DROPPED HIM!!

so......he's still in my tank until I can get him out.

freakin lovely right?

edit: also just realized one of my frags DOES have zoopox.

I'm taking all the unopen frags to work tomorrow to trade them for new ones.

• 2 weeks later...
constantocean

almost all the zoos you currently see are from altis reef since all my old zoos were wiped out for the most part. the ones that made it through whatever was wrong with my tank lost a lot of color.

I found a deal on ebay where you get 10 frags including some fire and ice and pink palys for $84 so I just ordered that. It's supposed to be delivered next tuesday.

After that frag pack my tank should be 98% complete, all I'll need at that point is a nice trio of sexy shrimp.

I'm pretty happy with how my tank looks, well other than the fact its dirty cus I never have time to take a razor to the walls. But i'm working on that.

I also just bought an 89 mustang....so I have a new project to work on too =)

el fabuloso

I have those green palys! My LFS gave me a free frag when I bought my blasto. A month later one polyp has grown into six polyps so that's cool. Get your sexies already. Oh yeah, congrats on the stang, sounds like a neat project! You should post some pics of it. ;)

constantocean
Those featherdusters are too big to have two in that small of a tank. They're going to starve to death.

I target feed them with phyto. Trust me I thought about that before I bought them. Granted they've only been in there for a little over a two weeks, so they very well might end up starving to death. But I hope they don't, the one was a freebie attached to the other anyway, so if one dies it's not the end of the world.

I have those green palys! My LFS gave me a free frag when I bought my blasto. A month later one polyp has grown into six polyps so that's cool. Get your sexies already. Oh yeah, congrats on the stang, sounds like a neat project! You should post some pics of it. ;)

I love those palys! They are overrunning one of the tanks at my LFS, every week I go in there they have more, but they are all attached to giant rocks which are main parts of the tanks aquascape so they don't get sold since my LFS doesn't frag.

And I might just have to post a pic of the stang, It's in great mechanical shape I just need to do a few things to the body.

constantocean

Getting pretty pissed.

My zoas seem to drop like flies.

I even managed to kill a frag of xenia....how on earth do you kill xenia???

and its only in this tank, the other tank is fine, so it's not like im screwing up, but what the EFF is in my 5.5?????

I've been doing like half gallon water changes every other day in hopes that any perhaps heavy metals or what not that could be in the tank would get taken out, and things still keep going down hill.

I bought a sally lightfoot crab and it was dead by the next morning.

My pH, calc, alk, ammonia, nitrites, AND nitrates all read in perfect range on MULTIPLE different test kits.

My salinity is fine according to my refractometer AND my hydrometer.

I tested for phosphates even just for the hell of it and that came up fine too.

My temperature is fine.

My hands are ALWAYS clean before they go into my tank, so I really don't get what the problem could be.....

I get a new frag pack of zoos/palys tomorrow via USPS overnight, I might have to dump them in the 12 gallon NC until things straighten out in the 5.5.....I might just scrap it and start it fresh.

I was thinking maybe there was some type of weird mineral that could be throwing things off that is being released by the tahitian moon sand.....cus thats the only thing that has changed since I moved everything from the 3 gallon. things were doing GREAT in the 3........then I move them to the 5.5 and everything goes downhill and just wont look back up again.

My hands are ALWAYS clean before they go into my tank, so I really don't get what the problem could be.....

maybe its your soap? or maybe something in your tank is killing something. i'd dip all your stuff for nudis. i think sponges can die and nuke your water on their way out.. any hidden under the liverock? just some ideas. hope you work it out.

constantocean
maybe its your soap? or maybe something in your tank is killing something. i'd dip all your stuff for nudis. i think sponges can die and nuke your water on their way out.. any hidden under the liverock? just some ideas. hope you work it out.

thanks for the advice. I was thinking about the soap too, but I always rinse my hands for way long and its these same hands that go into my 12 gallon.

Anyway, I used a small part of my tax refund to buy a halide light that I'm going to have about 2 feet over the tank, because all the zoos in my 12 gallon under the halides look GREAT....im starting to thinking there might just be something about the halide lighting they prefer. It should be here tomorrow or friday. If it doesn't work out........look for it on sale here on N-R in a few days lol.

I must say however, I got my frag pack from Reef Creatures Unlimited today and WOW would I ever suggest them. The corals that are open are INTENSE....some of the nicest zoos I have EVER seen. I paid $89 including shipping for 10 pieces and they aren't even on crappy frag plugs came on rocks so my tank doesnt look bad, and the corals are so so so so nice. I'll get some pics of them after I take them under my new halide!

I won't be "acclimating" them to the new light since they'll still be essentially getting the same wattage, just a different spectrum. I ordered the 14,000K bulb since thats whats over the 12 gallon.

Fingers crossed that this light makes all the difference!

constantocean

new light arrived yesterday. zoas are stretching upwards towards the light but are not opening yet. stems are elongated but polyps are not really opening. I have been doing weekly iodine dips. Probably going to do another one this weekend.

Only about 3 of the frags I received the other day are still open.

Oh and I ordered some PPEs ...a 3 head frag.

If things arent cleared up when they arrive they are DEF going into the 12 gallon cus I'm not risking something that expensive dying. Its one thing when my 10 dollar zoos drop, but when a 90 dollar frag dies I might be a little pissed.

constantocean

amazingly things are finally starting to look up again.

I got rid of a few dead frags and kept the good ones. just gonna need to get maybe one more frag pack to fill in the now empty spaces.

oh.....and i have a surprise.

i'll post pictures of it soon!

yay things are looking up on my tank front again!

except for me buying 3 sexies yesterday and having 2 dead by the time i got home. that was pretty lame.

constantocean

MY CHANGE OF HEART:

since all my other tanks are perfectly healthy and it just seems like something is wrong in this new one, I decided to call it quits on the new tank.

I took all my corals and moved them into my other tanks.

Already, they are opened up bright beautiful and happy. Wish I could have pinpointed the problem in the 5.5 gallon, but what can you do, sometimes things just dont work out, at least I saved my remaining corals before they died too. I will have to take pics of my happy little frags in their new homes for you all.

I had a 10 gallon tank that was used to store live rock (so it was quite cycled at this point) and set it up in my bedroom instead of the 5 gallon since something was just not working out in there.

And I decided I am going to use all my extra power heads and my new metal halide light to start an SPS tank! I have zoos, mushrooms, LPS, and assorted other softies in my other tanks, SPS is all thats left to try! So I'm going out to the LFS today to pick up my first piece of SPS coral. The 10 Gallon is currently standing alone but I am ordering an overflow and going to plumb it to the 5 gallon which I will be using as a standard sump with my protein skimmer connected to it. The skimmers rated for a 60 gallon tank so it should do a pretty nice job keepin this new tank in check.

Sorry to hear that. Some times one dead coral sends out toxins & trigger

a cascade of decline. A skimmer would help, did you use a skimmer?

Many Pico don't use skimmer, when things are fine, Rock/Fuge can take care of normal business,

but when disaster happens, skimmer will come handy.

I use skimmer for both my 4G & 2G. 2G recently got cooked up over 90 degrees due to a faulty heater,

Mu buttons are all closed & skimmer is picking up nasty stuff. I am sure the tanks would have been

crashed completely if not for the skimmer.

el fabuloso

Sorry to hear that Dave, that sucks. It's a good thing you have a backup tank to move things into! The SPS project sounds like fun, can't wait to see you get started on that. :)

constantocean
Sorry to hear that. Some times one dead coral sends out toxins & trigger

a cascade of decline. A skimmer would help, did you use a skimmer?

Many Pico don't use skimmer, when things are fine, Rock/Fuge can take care of normal business,

but when disaster happens, skimmer will come handy.

I use skimmer for both my 4G & 2G. 2G recently got cooked up over 90 degrees due to a faulty heater,

Mu buttons are all closed & skimmer is picking up nasty stuff. I am sure the tanks would have been

crashed completely if not for the skimmer.

I have 3 skimmers in my house. the oceanic biocube skimmer. the prizm nano-skimmer. and whatever my giant skimmer is I currently forget the brand name. the oceanic skimmer would not remove anything from the tank, the prizm took out a little bit, and the large skimmer is too big to hook up to this tank. from now on I wont be operating without a skimmer tho, thats for sure.

Sorry to hear that Dave, that sucks. It's a good thing you have a backup tank to move things into! The SPS project sounds like fun, can't wait to see you get started on that. :)

Thanks man! I actually wound up picking up 3 new pieces, they also get a new order of SPS in tomorrow so I'm gonna have to check that out! And they get clams on wednesday but I think I'll wait til the skimmer is hooked up before I get a clam.

• 1 month later...
TheChosenReefer

Looking good wish I could say the same for mine same look havnt really got into the tank yet. Was busy with my FW. But Getting a 24g aquapod with sunpod soon in the summer cant wait for it.

Archived