Top Shelf Aquatics

Imisky's custom 30g sps tank

imisky

What was the price for the PAR38 XPE spotlights?

The prices for the PAR38 XPE are $189.99 CAD/ea.

Evil's are $120 each but there are new Par30's that are $60 each I think.

Evils are $120 but technically you get 5 emitters 15W of light not 21W

these are 9 emitters at 27W of light

Wow, great looking tank. Let us know how those LED's work out with your SPS.

I'll definitely keep everyone posted, i use the XRE version of these bulbs on my frag

tank and i love them the sps colors are great.

Imisky, where did you get those Par38, and am I reading this right. are they a 9 bulb light?

These PAR38s were from Oceanic Corals (if you are on canreef you'll know them)

and yup they are 9 emitters.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thank you :happy: Thinking about getting those lights for my 40b BB SPS tank.

Is this the web where you got them from?

http://www.oceaniccorals.com/store/index.p...p;productId=430

Yup thats the website, however the pricing on the bulbs are wrong on the site, that was their promo pricing and the normal pricing is $189.99 also the bulbs shown there are the old model (XRE) the newer models havent been updated yet.

hmmm.. that pricing makes me stop and think then.. between two of those or one of the g2 maxpect 60watts the reef shop is selling for $299. Decisions decisions..

Thanks for the info Imisky, and your tank is looking as awsome as ever. I can't wait to see how much the color changes on your sps and the new growth.

hmmm.. that pricing makes me stop and think then.. between two of those or one of the g2 maxpect 60watts the reef shop is selling for $299. Decisions decisions..

Thanks for the info Imisky, and your tank is looking as awsome as ever. I can't wait to see how much the color changes on your sps and the new growth.

both are good options and you cant go wrong with one or the other. So far im happy with the choice of going with these spotlights and think they might be overkill a little bit but we'll see how it turns out, i cant wait to see the colors develop as i run XRE versions of these spotlights on my frag tank and the colors are really good.

I'll keep everyone posted on the progress as my corals were grown under 10K ushios that turned nice and yellow on me and my corals browned out a little but grew extremely fast. I guess now is the coloring phase of the corals!

The LEDs look awesome.

Any idea what the PAR difference is from one set up to the other?

I wish i could tell you, i never took PAR readings from the previous setup to compare it. What i can do is try and find a PAR meter to borrow so i can measure these lights output.

as a small update, its been a week and most of my corals have started to color up under the LEDs, what an incredible change under such short period of time.

• 3 weeks later...

update! Im still loving the switch to the LEDs, so far no regrets at all with the switch. All corals are happy and i find that my fish are alot more interesting to watch now that there are some shadows under corals (mostly the middle millipora).All the corals are reacting pretty good to the switch as well even though my parameters are fluctuating a little.This is because I'm in the process of finding out if my 2 part dosing is working again as i switched from recipe 2 to 1 so im getting a bit of fluctuations in my parameters but so far its not effecting the corals too much.

Heres some pictures of the tank and new inhabitants (tang police is going to come after me) enjoy it guys.

**im trying to figure out the correct white balance for the LEDs still...it is harder to do than the MHs but im getting there, these pictures are pretty close i would say 80-90% to what they would be like in real life.

New FTS

IMG_4048.jpg

New blue eye cardinals (small)

IMG_4030.jpg

Size difference

IMG_4031.jpg

Anyone see something odd in this pic?

IMG_4028.jpg

corals

IMG_4015.jpg

IMG_4017.jpg

IMG_4018.jpg

IMG_4026.jpg

IMG_4027.jpg

IMG_4034.jpg

IMG_4040.jpg

IMG_4036.jpg

IMG_4041.jpg

This has long been one of my favorite tanks so I'm glad to see it's still up, running, and doing great.

Everything looks incredibly happy and healthy.

Is that an MCE600 I spy in the back left? I've been loving my MCE300 that I picked up for my 17g.

-Adam

This has long been one of my favorite tanks so I'm glad to see it's still up, running, and doing great.

Everything looks incredibly happy and healthy.

Is that an MCE600 I spy in the back left? I've been loving my MCE300 that I picked up for my 17g.

-Adam

That is an MCE600 in the back :) super over skimming my system but i have no problem with the skimmer not performing due to over skimming(i dont believe that there is such a thing as over skimming).

Do you still have all 8 of the Talbots damsels?

Great looking reef.

i have 6 left, 1 jumped out on the side of the vortech so i assume it was trying to swim against the flow when it kicked onto high and freaked the fish. The other got sucked into my overflow for my fuge and into the maxijet...

Super tank!! I don't see anything odd? Talbot's are a favorite of mine; we don't see them in tanks very often, and thats a shame.

talboti.jpg

most "tang police would find that picture odd :lol: and would probably flame me until i die but hey its my tank and alrdy got plans for it later on. I agree with you on the talbots, they are by far my favorite damsels with the allens damsels following not too far behind and not to mention they are probably the least aggressive damsels ive ever owned.

• 2 months later...

just thought id pop in here and say hi to everyone. Been busy lately with family and friends but have also been busy working on a side project for my system. A DIY mame overflow system. just to give u guys a sneak peak heres a picture of a semi finsihed overflow, the only things left now is the auto priming venturi and thats it.

If you want to know how i made it i'll be posting these in my blog, the link in my signature will bring u there.

IMG_5572.jpg

Very cool man. sleek.

thanks.

The overflow has been finished. Ive ordered a quiet one 3000 to use with the overflow as i needed something that could push roughly 300gph at 4ft. if its too strong i can always dial it back. Once i receive the unit i'll post a video of it working for everyone.

*i need to find a way to cut vinyl tubing straight haha....as you guys can see i cant do that

IMG_5577.jpg

IMG_5584.jpg

IMG_5582.jpg

Archived