ReefCleaners.org

Imisky's custom 30g sps tank

imisky

after the $60 how much did it cost to get the rest of that Ca reactor going... i have been looking into getting one but just dont know all of the costs

EDIT: oh yeah your tank looks killer... someday i hope mine can look as good as yours

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so heres the breakdown of how much the total cost to get the Ca reactor running:

Via Aqua ACRO-Cal reactor :$60.00

Rowalith C+ (6.0KG): $40.00

zeomag: (1.0KG): $15.00

2nd hand 5lb CO2 cylinder+ regulator: $120.00

*not needed* milwuakee PH controller: $120.00

total without PH controller: $235.00

total with PH controller: $355.00

i have been running the reactor since the tank has been up and have yet to replace the media inside it.

so the 6KG of Ca media and 1KG of Mg media will last me at least an year + until my SPS become big colonies.

VannReefer87

Very nice tank you have...I'm still debating to switch my 30B over to BB...so how many fish do you have now, I see 7....if your bio filtration can handle it the more power to you...

i personally have never used a DSB before but have experienced a tank with SSB. I do like the BB tanks for maintance as you can easily syphon out the detritus. Ive found if i can remove the detritus then alot of the algae problems actually start to disappear. There is 7 fish in there, there was 8 at one point but i didnt wash the GFO good enough and as a result my cleaner wrasse died as the tank was super cloudy for 1 night.

With this tank i have been dosing a source of carbon via alternating doses of vodka, sugar, and vinegar. I find that it really helps with polyp extensions on my SPS and keeps the fish more active. Dont forget it helps get rid of algae and you get a higher bacteria count inside your LR/LS to help with the bioload.

thanks guys for the kind words, i dont think my tank is yet ready to be a TOTM as it still requires alot of work at least IMO.

Is the tank Acrylic or glass?

the tank is made out of 3/8 glass on all sides

heres some pictures i took of how my Ca reactor works.

water feed:

IMGP1229.jpg

eff and ph controller probe (inside a DIY acrylic box):

IMGP1231.jpg

heres some random photos to show other things in my system:

a DIY GFO reactor:

IMGP1212.jpg

IMGP1214.jpg

and a couple of feather dusters for extra water polishing:

IMGP1234.jpg

you dont need a seperate pump for the water feed do u? sorry just seeing if it would work for me on my 26gal with sump. I have an ACjr to control it already.

it uses the same pump that feeds my CPR aquafuge, just i drilled a hole in it and put some tubing in there so some of the water gets forced out and feeds the Ca reactor.

ok so i got bored again tonight...grabbed my camera and i went driving into my tank (not literally) i built an acrylic box which i can put my camera in and out with easy so i can take top downs close up!!

heres some of them, enjoy guys!! ;)

can someone ID this piece..ive had it for the longest time and have yet to ID it..

IMGP1238.jpg

IMGP1239.jpg

IMGP1241.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

another little update for the tank, i went out and grabbed a tunze nanostream 6055 for the tank. it does have good flow but i found it a little too straight and not wide enough of a flow. i decided that maybe there will be a mod for this pump as i know there are some for the 6025 and went onto RC and found the nanostream modding thread. in the end i found a mod which is supposed to increase the pumps flow to 2000GPH and i decided that i might as well do it. the mod name is called "extreme nano mod". i havent put it in my tank yet as im letting everything cure properly before trying to do anything. i used ABS glue + black kroylin paint ( no black ABS glue in canada ) + 1.5" black PVC coupling and a dremel. heres some comparison pics to the original front propeller housing.

IMGP1272.jpg

IMGP1273.jpg

Sweet setup! I really like those Chalk Basslets, somethin about them... You've got some sweet mods on that tank, let us know how the nanostream mod works out.

thanks Cam barr, and cfeist for the comment. i think i might need some input on the next powerhead. After hearing about the new eco-tech vortech MP20 with the estimated price at $300, the tunze 6055 + single controller is also roughly at $300 with the front housing propeller mod. which one would you guys think is the better powerhead. after the mod the tunze should be putting out 2000GPH so it would be the same as the MP20 just less controller settings for the tunze. so now im stumped in which pump to choose for the next powerhead upgrade im going to do to replace my koralia 4...what do you guys think any input is welcome!

Really awesome tank!

I have been loving the barebottomed SPS tanks lately....hmmm....

so your tank just has a skimmer, a HOB fuge/filter unit, and power heads?

thats awesome!

I dont know, I guess its not really that crazy, now that I read that sentance over, but I'm so used to thinking about systems with ato resevoirs, full fuges, return pumps, overflows, drilled holes, from the point of building it, this actually seems more "simple" and "cluter free" than a built in fuge that hides everything!

Anyway - Love the tank

I dont know much about the bare bottom approach, Is there anything to know about it??

any added matinence or considerations to be taken?

thanks guys,

i have a normal vortech in my elos 120 xl and i love its a really great pump

how long have you owned the vortech for?? the only thing turning me away from them is the fact that they say you have to replace the wet side and the magnet every 1year to 1.5 years althought its not that expensive of a replacement for a powerhead that price i wouldnt want to replace things so often. dont forgot the rust issue they've been having these days..yikes! :o

I have been loving the barebottomed SPS tanks lately....hmmm....

so your tank just has a skimmer, a HOB fuge/filter unit, and power heads?

it also has a ACRO-Cal Ca Reactor and a small 2L ATO for toping off as well

I dont know much about the bare bottom approach, Is there anything to know about it??

any added matinence or considerations to be taken?

as far as maintance goes nothing is really different compared to having a SSB just without the constant vacuuming of the sand. instead the detritus will be constantly suspended or they would gather in one place for easy siphoning. Other than that aspect everything is the same imo,

hey guy heres an update to the nanostream mod. i didnt get a chance to get a picture of the 6055 alone but heres some pictures of the system. i'll grab the photo of the 6055 on alone tomorrow for better comparison. at the moment my tank has roughly 106x turn over with the modded 6055

6055 with modded front:

IMGP1286.jpg

all pumps off

IMGP1290.jpg

6055 and K4 both on

IMGP1287.jpg

• 1 month later...

its been a while so i decided to update the thread. So since middle of June is supposed to be the hottest its been for 20 yrs i decided to get a JBJ Arctica to get prepared for this and in return it has kept my temp in +/-2dF at night time being 77.8 to MH being on at 79.8 ish. I also upgraded my deltec MCE300 to an MCE600 along with a media box. This skimmer is far better than the MCE300 with the trade off of it producing a bit more noise. The media box is used with Zeolites for me to use along with my C dosing (vinegar + vodka +sugar).

so i guess now i'll put the photos, enjoy:smile:

IMGP5143.jpg

IMGP5139.jpg

IMGP5142.jpg

IMGP5141.jpg

IMGP5138.jpg

Tank looks great. How do you keep your bottom so clean? On most BB tanks I've seen the bottom is covered in Coraline algae.

Tank looks great. How do you keep your bottom so clean? On most BB tanks I've seen the bottom is covered in Coraline algae.

Thanks guys for the comments :) I dont do anything special, to keep my bottom coraline free, it just doesnt grow there much for some reason. My K4 has been pretty much covered in coraline now and my tunze modded 6055 is starting to get algae on it however the bottom still remains somewhat clean with a few spots here and there which i just clean them when i see it.

Archived