SaltCritters.com

Imisky's custom 30g sps tank

imisky

Your friend is crazy for telling you to change anything ! :D Do you have any regrets to adding the sand?

i sometimes do when it comes to maintenance and having to vacuum it, but its actually a very good indicator for when i over dose vodka, it starts to show signs of diatom/cyano when that happens, so i just cut back. but overall i think the sand bed if that's what you want to call my 1/4" thick layer of sand makes it look just a little more natural and it reflects some of the light to the underside of my corals which is good.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think i ran out of equipment to add :lol: i suppose thats a good thing, the only things left is to take out the corals i dont like and buy more colorful corals to replace them haha.. or switch out my modded tunzes for 2x MP20s but thats just too much $$

• 3 weeks later...
I love this tank. It should be a TOTM for sure. I think we need more macros. ;)

thanks! i dont quite think this tank is TOTM material yet as i always see tanks that i feel are much better than mine. But its good to hear people feel like my tank could be TOTM :happy:

i took some top down photos today, nothing macro as i had switched my tele lense back on and only had a few minutes before lights out to grab a few photos. I had recently just moved all my rics and blastos down into my frag tank as an attempt to "free up more room"...none the less that didnt work haha i took out about 5 corals and the tank still looks as full as ever.

enjoy the photos guys.

skittles granulosa: (this bugger is such a slow grower)

IMG_1037.jpg

ORA borealis:

IMG_1036.jpg

purple polyp blue tip tabling acro:

IMG_1035.jpg

sunset millipora:

IMG_1034.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Paleoreef103

The macros are great! I especially love the skittles acro. Quick question though, what is the monti on the sandbed in the Borealis picture. It's gorgeous!

Do you have any fish or inverts? I don't know if I've seen any.

• 2 weeks later...
The macros are great! I especially love the skittles acro. Quick question though, what is the monti on the sandbed in the Borealis picture. It's gorgeous!

Do you have any fish or inverts? I don't know if I've seen any.

thanks for the comment!

the monti beside the borealis was called "blue berry cheese cake monti" when i got it, but its looking more and more like a reverse pokerstar in terms of coloration lately.

as for livestock i have the following:

5x blue eye cardinals

1x female fairy wrasse

1x tailspot blenny

1x peppermint shrimp

and maybe 6 or so snails

im thinking about adding 1-2 gobies to finish up the livestock

• 3 weeks later...
Updated FTS? :) The tank looks awesome!!!

i'll update this on wednesday once i get some time to actually grab some photos of the tank.

Ive had the weirdest RTN/STN happen to my borealis a few weeks ago that forced me to frag it into

millions of frags or else id lose it. never figured out what caused it, no signs of rb or aefw so its a mystery to me.

now all the frags are healing so im not complaining.

Great tank. Love the selection of corals. Good variety in color.

thanks!

after resting up from all the all nighters i had to pull...i finally got around to taking some new photos, for some reason 3 of my cardinals died they were all eating so i couldnt figure it out. so off to the fishstore i went today and while i was looking around i saw the worldest smallest sleeper goby and just had to get it ( its roughly 2" big at the moment) cool little guy, he made his home right under the pink birdsnest in the middle of the tank so ill probably be seeing lots of him around.

so now im down to 5 fish and im thinking about adding 2 more into the tank any thoughts on peaceful fish that wont drive my cardinals crazy?

and as for photos here you go guys enjoy.

FTS:

IMG_1236.jpg

newly acquired pink lemonade:

IMG_1250.jpg

new deepwater i got a while back:

IMG_1265.jpg

sleeper goby: (you can see the STN-ed borelias in the background recovering)

IMG_1256.jpg

montis:

IMG_1270.jpg

very orange turbos: (first time ive seen these and they are holy crap bright)

IMG_1271.jpg

Awesome update! I love that FTS. Great job!

thanks!

for those who have been reading, im debating to let the tank really fill in before fragging anymore or frag like i have been to keep things in proportion. ive seen alot of the tanks over at RC that are literally coral next to corals and they look stunning to me but i wonder how much chemical warfare there will be. any thoughts or comments are welcome

for those who have been reading, im debating to let the tank really fill in before fragging anymore or frag like i have been to keep things in proportion. ive seen alot of the tanks over at RC that are literally coral next to corals and they look stunning to me but i wonder how much chemical warfare there will be. any thoughts or comments are welcome

First off, looks like the tank hasn't missed a beat with your work schedule. Fantastic as always...pictures really speak for themselves.

Second, I've been thinking about doing the same thing with my tank. I haven't fragged any of my branching SPS in quite a while and it's really starting to fill in as a result. Really looks great but I'm a little worried about some corals getting a little too close to one another. I'd say I have another couple of months before a few really start encroaching one another.

I really like the look of all of the filled in SPS tanks, I guess it just comes down to if you want to go the natural route and let them duke it out or frag before they get that close. Personally, I think I might let some Caps that I have intertwine but will probably frag the others to keep things happy.

-Adam

Second, I've been thinking about doing the same thing with my tank. I haven't fragged any of my branching SPS in quite a while and it's really starting to fill in as a result. Really looks great but I'm a little worried about some corals getting a little too close to one another. I'd say I have another couple of months before a few really start encroaching one another.

hows it working out for you so far? any issues that you see other than it becoming too crowded, i see so many documentaries which show so many SPS growing side by side and dont see any damage on them. the one thing im scared of is when 1 coral things another and it starts a STN/RTN event on the effected corals and you end up losing 1 or both.

How did you mount the T5's inside the acrylic tubes and then how did you mount the whole thing to the MH?

Amazing tank!

the T5s are just sitting inside the acrylic tubes the reflectors lift them u a little and make it so its angled adjustable depending how i want the T5s to work. The tubes are attached this way:

IMG_1046.jpg

IMG_1047.jpg

Let it grow out and see how it turns out for ya :-). If it starts getting too cramped or corals are suffering, you can always frag it out later.

i think ill do that, hopefully it'll be ok and it actually works out a little better with my schedule too!

thanks for the input guys

• 2 months later...

a little question for everyone,

its time to get new bulbs and i am planning to get ushio 10Ks for the white color as i am starting to like it more than the blues, i'll still be using suppliment actinics for the colors but i was wondering what everyones thought on MH + T5HO combo would be for a 10K bulb. I only have access to UVI,Giesemann,Aqua Science, and Korallen-Zucht bulbs as not many stores sell ATI ups here and those that do charge a premium for them.

i was thinking about going with this combo:

2x 150 ushio 10K + 2x 24w UVI super actinic blue (PAR is much better than Giesemann pure actinic)

or

2x 150 ushio 10K + 2x 24w UVI 75.25s

i cant really decide which one i want to go with yet or if you guys have any combos which doesnt end up producing a super blue hue like the phoenix im open to suggestions. im looking for something with a very little amount of blue yet it gives off the florescence of the sps.

now that that question is out there i got a picture i took a few days ago by luck. enjoy

IMG_2075.jpg

I love the look of your tank. So nice.

And if you don't mind shipping frags. I would be more than happy to buy any SPS or whatever else you got any time... :D

Can't wait to see more pix.

thanks nebthet

maybe when the weather gets warmer i dont have experience shipping in cold weathers, when i ship livestock i usually wait til the temperature is at least 15C just to be on the safe side of things along with a heat pack.

a grabbed a quick FTS not much change except the relocation of the tri color a little upwards resulting in me fragging it into millions of pieces. and growth fromt he pink mille on the left top as

IMG_2145.jpg

bleached tri color from the relocation and fragging.

IMG_2146.jpg

• 1 month later...

a little update but not much changed.

recently picked up a yellow candy stripe hogfish so far its been playing nice with the fairy wrasse and eating well. Added a geometric pygmy hawk to the tank from a grand opening of a LFS and also got a blue polyp digitata......now i have a problem haha...i have no room :lol:

hm...moved the rock work around a little so that the corals have JUST a little bit more room to grow maybe a cm or two for a few selected corals, and lowered the millipora in the center as it was getting a little top heavy and constantly falling over. Now its got more room to grow.

heres some photos FTS and the hogfish, the pygmy hawk is still shy but should be out once it gets used to my feeding schedule, we'll see.

IMG_2337.jpg

IMG_2319.jpg

With the olympics is here in Vancouver and all the universities in area closed i have alot of spare time to kill so i am finding things to do. I havent had moonlights for a while on my tanks but started to miss it a little and so i started planning this project a few weeks ago thinking how i want this to be as natural looking as possible and decided i didnt want blue LEDs instead id go with white ones to replicate what the corals would be exposed to in nature. With all the planning done (took i think 15mins) i went out and bought all the parts and went to town and got it all finished today.

So.. Parts

3x 1/4W white LEDs

1x old cellphone charger with 5.5V and 550ma output

1x acrylic tubing i think its 1" thick

3x daily contact lens casing (for the reflectors that i dont think does anything)

total price? i think its less then $5 if you count out the contact casing that you can keep.

I forgot to take progress photos but i think a project like this shouldnt be too hard. I chained up the LEDs in series so i could avoid the use of resistors, the LEDs are a little underdriven but thats fine for this project as i wanted to keep things dim as the tank is in my room. Cut the acrylic tubing a little longer (1mm) than the 2 MHs beside it and the pressure from the pendents keep the moonlight tubing held pretty well.

heres some pictures.

IMG_2378.jpg

IMG_2379.jpg

IMG_2381.jpg

and what the tank looks like: (in real life its about 10x dimmer)

IMG_2384.jpg

Archived