Innovative Marine Aquariums

Imisky's custom 30g sps tank

imisky

lucky. wish i can take a break from school too.

your sticks are hawt. especially that borealis. mmmmm.

have you thought about red LEDs instead too?

Ya the break from school is fairly nice as we dont usually get spring break or what we call reading breaks here.

The borealis had its turn on the "bad events" where it STNed for no reason but not its doing fine and coloring up well.

as for the LEDs never really though about red ones as i wanted it to look as natural to me as possible so white was pretty much the choice from the beginning.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

not much of an update, but i was playing around with the camera today. I saw my pygmy hawkfish out for the first time since i got it last week so im happy that its alive and starting to come out, so i managed to get a crappy picture of him but good or bad at least i got a picture to show.

IMG_2407.jpg

and here are the rest of the photos i got.

appleberry montipora:

IMG_2397.jpg

pink lemonade: 4 months worth of growth

IMG_2400.jpg

neon green deepwater Suharsonoi:

IMG_2401.jpg

bali tri color (coloring back up nicely):

IMG_2403.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

a new addition to the tank..since i cant add anymore SPS im settling for thing that can go on the sandbed now..haha and whats better then chalices right?

heres the frag of it.

IMG_2456.jpg

Mummy eye?

Did you pick your bulb combo yet?

i thought it looked like the mummy eye but it was extremely cheap at $20 for 4 eyes. So it cant be the "real" but its pretty close id say.

I havent picked up the MH bulbs yet but i added 2 more T5HO for supplement and now i run 4x T5HO + 2x MH 150w

lighting goes: (front to back with metal halide in middle)

Giesemann pure actinic

KZ fiji purple ----- Fiji+pure actinic provide all the pink/purple/red spectrum

---------------------------

2x 150w phoenix 14K <---- have to change for ushio 10Ks still

---------------------------

Aqua Science 22,000K ----- UVL+22K provides all the blue spectrum

UVL super actinic

IMG_2464.jpg

the biopellets came in! with a newly cleaned mesh modded phosban reactor im almost ready to get this guy up and running. The LFS that i am helping out at is running biopellets and i are having pretty good results with it so i thought why not give it a try. I'll keep you guys posted.

IMGP6964.jpg

IMGP6965.jpg

IMGP6967.jpg

IMGP6968.jpg

appleberry montipora:

IMG_2397.jpg

pink lemonade: 4 months worth of growth

IMG_2400.jpg

neon green deepwater Suharsonoi:

IMG_2401.jpg

bali tri color (coloring back up nicely):

IMG_2403.jpg

Woah nellies! Those are some GREAT close ups!

Well done!

Very nice tank!

Im excited to see someone going with chalices :)!

chalice are definitely interesting corals in my books just up until now they have been extremely expensive up here in Canada, especially for those LE pieces. But it looks like some of the companys here are now able to get nice pieces without emptying the our pockets :P hopefully i'll be able to find more nice looking pieces to add to the collection

on another note, i had some time tonight to grab the camera out to get my custom white balance correct so that i can take some photos showing the proper colors of things in the tank. So whats better then to grab the macro lens to test out the settings right :lol: I hope you guys like the photos.

hot pink birdsnest (round tip):

IMG_2505.jpg

ORA ice tort:

IMG_2513.jpg

lime in the sky:

IMG_2519.jpg

green pocci:

IMG_2520.jpg

weird color changed oregon tort:

IMG_2529.jpg

no idea what this is but its cool:

IMG_2541.jpg

bali tri color:

IMG_2544.jpg

ORA borealis:

IMG_2552.jpg

unknown acro:

IMG_2557.jpg

rainbow pocci from the front:

IMG_2562.jpg

sand sifting star on the glass just had to take it:

IMG_2568.jpg

got the bio pellets up and running now, they are tumbling quite nicely in the modded TLF media reactor. Reactor is being run with a MJ1200 with a TLF ball valve in place to control the tumbling speed in the reactor. At the moment its on at full to prevent the reactor from producting too much mulm at once.

IMGP6981.jpg

and heres a video of it tumbling away.

th_IMGP6978.jpg

That looks pretty close to a true mummy eye. At 20 bucks it doesn't matter though :D

i agree at $20 anything that looks like that or has unique coloration like that i can care less about the name or if its tyree, ora or whatever

rescaped the right side of the tank a little trying to give the tank a little more growing space, ended up removing the brown stag and found an extra please for another frag! So i replaced the stag with an ORA hawkins echinata frag i got off a friend and a rainbow stylopora to fill in one of the holes.

new reworked right side: FTS

IMG_2652.jpg

hawkins echinata

IMG_2636.jpg

rainbow stylo

IMG_2647.jpg

I love your tank. You have some awesome pieces in there and everything has that full, grown out look

Thanks, I've said i wouldnt frag anything from the tank for a while and just watch it fill in but i cant keep my hands out of the tank!

Im getting too much compliments from you all!

Best SPS tank ever! Great job!

Thanks! I'll take the compliment, but i'll be modest here, it's hardly the best SPS ever. We all know that

Amazing Nano! Really awesome job!

• 3 weeks later...

finally got around to changing the bulb, the previous lighting system was:

2x 150W phoenix MH + 4x T5HO (fiji purple,giesemann pure actinic, UVL super actinic, aqua science 22,000K)

now:

2x 150W ushio 10K MH + 4x T5HO (ATI actinic, ATI blue plus, UVL super actinic, aqua science 22,000K)

im liking this setup alot better, its not as blue and definitely brighter, to the point that my blueberry cheese cake monti is bleaching at the bottom of the tank. I think the corals are still adjusting to the change in lighting but the change doesnt look bad. I'll let the photos do the talking, theres less floresence but i see an increase in color pigment with only a few days use.

IMG_2697.jpg

IMG_2701.jpg

IMG_2702.jpg

IMG_2703.jpg

IMG_2704.jpg

IMG_2705.jpg

IMG_2706.jpg

Awesome tank dude.. tons of awesome colonies! get any close-up shots of your fish? Thats true camera skillz! haha

Thanks! I'll try and get some close-ups of the fish soon, I'll post them up in the next few days.

Archived