ReefCleaners.org

Clove Mania !

roxy25

I got some really nice cloves on accident the other day as hitchhikers, but aren't looking great. What is the best way to A) Revive them, B) best lighting and flow, and C) propagate them so they spread fast. Thanks for the help.

- Mike

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They tend to take awhile to open up after under going any type of stress, just give them time and they should open up. I still have some that are just starting to come out after a week in my tank.

• 2 weeks later...

well I reaquascape and I am about to start fragging and cutting my colonies so they will spread faster.

The orange tips I have are so tempermental I had 8 polyps now I am down to two :angry:

I will post pics of my fragging methods

Have you tried fragging dieing/closed up colonies before? Take 2-3 polyps and glue it onto a rock then wait around 2 weeks and you should start to see the root system spreading and forming new polyps. I've done this twice now and it's works great for growing small frags.

Have you tried fragging dieing/closed up colonies before? Take 2-3 polyps and glue it onto a rock then wait around 2 weeks and you should start to see the root system spreading and forming new polyps. I've done this twice now and it's works great for growing small frags.

yeah It works for healthy stalks also MAN I have only polyp of the orange tips left I think something is eating it so today i will glue it on the wall away from my stupid hermit crabs :angry:

I am going to frag up the yellow tips so we should be finding out what we want to trade :P

I put this up on the reefcentral board but I thought I'd throw it up here as well. I found this pic of some cloves and was wondering if this morph is around.

cloves1ds6.jpg

I put this up on the reefcentral board but I thought I'd throw it up here as well. I found this pic of some cloves and was wondering if this morph is around.

cloves1ds6.jpg

Those are nice !!! Its hard to tell it depends how long they been in that persons tank. Some times when you first get them the cloves are stressed or damaged and they have these crazy colors, but once they get used to your tank ( can take a few weeks ) they change colors depending on lighting. The first cloves I posted where yellow when I got them right now they are a fleshy color with slightly light color rims, I am trying to color them up to see if they will get yellow tips.

If those cloves you post stay like that I want some lol :P Me and Fiction are going to do some trading I am waiting for this darn Ic gel to get here so I can cut my stuff up I have new pics of me reaquascaping here

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k72/kali...newtank2038.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k72/kali...newtank2035.jpg

My orange tips are gone I found out my new pep shrimp has been eating them -_-

Ok prop time ! :D

So I did some cutting and gluing here are some pictures

The tools

tank2001.jpg

For Cloves that grow more matt like together you will need a blade to cut them off ( you can probably try to pull them off with fingers but I will have to try that later )

example or matt like growth

tank2002.jpg

out the water

tank2005.jpg

Find a section you want to cut. When you have picked out what section just cut the root system, So its like you are cutting the roots from the main colony. after that you can put blade under what you sectioned off and lift with your fingers.

tank2006.jpg

tank2007.jpg

tank2009.jpg

tank2012.jpg

tank2013.jpg

This type of growth pattern are more like stalk that are seperated

you can pull these off with your fingers near the base.

tank2016.jpg

tank2017.jpg

under what I just pulled off

tank2018.jpg

tank2022.jpg

you can pull as many stalks off as you want and glue them together or seperately

tank2023.jpg

I will post where I glued the frags in my tank later happy clove keeping ; )

Great pics on how to frag them. I always loved cloves but we have no variety here in Jersey that I've found. I'll have to get some of everyones here pending the shipping experiment. I'm sure if they can be brought back from the dead they should survive priority shipping in a thermos like zoos or shrooms.

• 1 month later...

i am so glad you revived this thread. I am getting an order of neon green palm cloves tomorrow from live aquaria. So when I get them...should I freshwater dip? If so for how long. I do have some coral wash from 2 fishes called ReVive.

I do not want any nasties in my tank so I'm trying to be cautious. Also, I read that they like to be high up but it seems you are saying they need to be low. Like on the sandbed? I have a 34 gallon Red Sea. 2 55W T5 PC fluros.

So low flow? And then if you could just advise me on the dip I would really appreciate it!!

Thanks in advance!

fiction101

Well they don't seem to like direct flow, but actually they do better in high flow areas (so the polyps are sticking straight up and not side ways). The main thing is making sure they don't have an algae build up around the stocks of them, because it tends to make them rot away. I've never dipped any of my corals, but a lot of people seem to recommend it. ;)

Well they don't seem to like direct flow, but actually they do better in high flow areas (so the polyps are sticking straight up and not side ways). The main thing is making sure they don't have an algae build up around the stocks of them, because it tends to make them rot away. I've never dipped any of my corals, but a lot of people seem to recommend it. ;)

OK so it was Roxy that recommended freshwater dipping. By the time I got thru the thread I wasn't sure who recommended it! :D

It's always a toss up for me....do you risk dipping the coral or bringing pests into your tank.....hmmmmmmm

Time to breathe some life back into this thread.

Here's the beginning of my mini clove tank. :)

super.jpg

Mine are like the ones in the upper right corner! What are those called?

OK so it was Roxy that recommended freshwater dipping. By the time I got thru the thread I wasn't sure who recommended it! :D

It's always a toss up for me....do you risk dipping the coral or bringing pests into your tank.....hmmmmmmm

Mine are like the ones in the upper right corner! What are those called?

Hey Hazmat I would not recommend a FW if you don't have a infestation Like I did. Get some iodine and just do a SW with iodine your cloves will not be stressed.

Time to breathe some life back into this thread.

Here's the beginning of my mini clove tank. :)

super.jpg

Nice fiction !

I been MIA I have lost like 5 colonies of cloves due to a faulty thermometer. I just fixed the problem and things look better. I should have some new cloves this weekend. I added a reeflux 12 bulb to my tank so I should have faster growth in no time.

I also got a new used canon 20d so I should be posting better pictures :)

I will edit some of my info so people will not get confused about dipping

Thanks for the clarification Roxy!

Have you heard of ReVive Coral dip by 2 Fishes? It's a coral cleaner recommended by Zoanuts. It's not Iodine but made out of some kind of plant extracts. I also have Lugols.

Thanks!

fiction101
Hey Hazmat I would not recommend a FW if you don't have a infestation Like I did. Get some iodine and just do a SW with iodine your cloves will not be stressed.

Nice fiction !

I been MIA I have lost like 5 colonies of cloves due to a faulty thermometer. I just fixed the problem and things look better. I should have some new cloves this weekend. I added a reeflux 12 bulb to my tank so I should have faster growth in no time.

I also got a new used canon 20d so I should be posting better pictures :)

I will edit some of my info so people will not get confused about dipping

Damn that's too bad, what brand of thermometer were you using?

Do you have any remaining colonies, that your able to frag? I'm looking to buy any small frags that I can find. :)

uglyamericanV1.5

i love cloves

DSCN1043.jpg

used to be bright green in center...spreading fast, but no glow

cloveswithlobo-1.jpg

have some orange tipped ones too, would take pic but i hurt my back and cant move...

arrrggghhhhoisdfh;ash

Damn that's too bad, what brand of thermometer were you using?

Do you have any remaining colonies, that your able to frag? I'm looking to buy any small frags that I can find. :)

It was a coralife thermometer I think .... I just bought a JBJ in tank one , this is how I found out the temp was off surprisingly yumas/shrooms and the toadstool love the hot temps lol

Nothing is frag able now -_- I am going to see if my buddies will give me more colonies man I am so mad some of the cloves I had i will probably never get again

I do have this unusal clove that I have never seen before its doing great , even tho I got the new bulb I plan to turn my softie tank lighting into t5 only lighting later.

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that I did dip my new cloves in the Two Little Fishes ReVive Coral cleaner. It smells like orange oil.

Anyway, as soon as I started dipping the pesties started coming out!! This frag was maybe 1 1/2 square inches. You would not believe how many bristle/fire worms came out of that tiny piece of rock. So I'm holding it with my bare hands and the worms are coming out like crazy. I am not kidding you but there must have been 8 worms that came out. And one was 2 inches long!!! Eeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!

There was another kind of worm also but not sure what it was. I'm really glad I dipped!!

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that I did dip my new cloves in the Two Little Fishes ReVive Coral cleaner. It smells like orange oil.

Anyway, as soon as I started dipping the pesties started coming out!! This frag was maybe 1 1/2 square inches. You would not believe how many bristle/fire worms came out of that tiny piece of rock. So I'm holding it with my bare hands and the worms are coming out like crazy. I am not kidding you but there must have been 8 worms that came out. And one was 2 inches long!!! Eeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!

There was another kind of worm also but not sure what it was. I'm really glad I dipped!!

Bristle worms are not bad the things that you need to dip for are the nudis

Well, I know there are two schools of thought on bristle worms. I'm not a big fan of them. And especially one that is 2 inches long. So for me...it was a good thing.

Is there any other good pics of nudi's besides on the ID thread?

Well, I know there are two schools of thought on bristle worms. I'm not a big fan of them. And especially one that is 2 inches long. So for me...it was a good thing.

Is there any other good pics of nudi's besides on the ID thread?

There are pics on the first page of the nudis that eat cloves

• 2 months later...

Where do you place your cloves? Do you mostly place them on the bottom? My clove would not open fully. They are reaching to the light and would not fully open. I have a 70watt sunpod on a 10 gal. That should be more then enough for them.

Where do you place your cloves? Do you mostly place them on the bottom? My clove would not open fully. They are reaching to the light and would not fully open. I have a 70watt sunpod on a 10 gal. That should be more then enough for them.

70 watts is more than enough light, Right now I have mine under 80 watts of t5 bulbs.

Mine are placed every where top bottom etc.

Did you get a new bulb ? and how much flow do you have in tank? are they located in where the most flow is?

I have been having the best luck with having cloves in low flow tanks. I have had a few people tell me they have them in high flow areas and they do great but then have them melt for no reason and come back. I have never had this happen either . When I first started caring for cloves I had them in a high flow sps tank. This is one of the time my cloves melted . The second time is because my thermometer and refractometer when bad.

My friend has given me his mini colony of cloves because in his tank they would not open. I had then in my tank for 3 weeks they are now growing and opening up. :)

Archived