Pod Your Reef

Custom ZeroEdge Coldwater Tank

Jamie

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, good and bad news: despite my many efforts, the leak is still not fixed. I did finally figure out the problem though. The pipe that pumps water into the surge tank originally stopped right at the level of the bottom of the tank. When I tried to seal it, the silicone made a lip over the edge of the pipe, but it never really sealed it, so water was leaking out around the edge of the pipe. I cut a longer length of pipe and resiliconed it in, so hopefully that will fix the problem. So.. the tank will be set up the soonest tomorrow, but with the way things have been going, i'm not so sure that will happen. We can hope though... fingerscrossed

HOORAY!!! The tank is finally set up! :D The leak is fixed, and the siphon device is working great. I've transferred everything into the new tank, but it's all sort of jumbled around... no aquascape yet. I also haven't build the light fixture yet, so the tank is just going off natural light right now. I'll try to work on that this weekend, but on't know if I'll get it finished.

The best news of all though is that the chiller is working perfectly! I was afraid it wouldn't be able to keep the temp down, because the other chiller I was using couldn't keep the 2 gallon below 64 when it got up over 75 degrees outside. When I hooked up the new chiller, the tank was at about 70, and the room it was in was probably over 90 degrees, but the chiller got the tank down to 59 in only about three hours! The other chiller I was using is actually the excact same brand/ HP/ model as the new one, so it looks like the old one jjust needs a good cleaning and it'll be all set.

I don't have any pics yet, because as I said, there is no artificial lighting on the tanks, and it's night time right now, but I should be able to get some tomorrow.

-Jamie

Finally some pics! These are mostly not very good, because I just aquascaped it, so the water is a little murky, and all the nems are a little po'ed. This thread is in desperate need of pictures though, so I'm posting them anyways.

First is a series of fts's showing the stages of the surge:

1. The siphon is just starting:

DSC_0755.jpg

2. Siphon is getting going, clearing the tube of air

DSC_0756.jpg

DSC_0758.jpg

3. The siphon is at full power now. Approx 600 gph can go through the 1 inch pipe, according to the fishstore.

DSC_0759.jpg

4. The siphon breaks, letting a second burst of air into the tank:

DSC_0761.jpg

5. The siphon has stopped, just a few bubbles hanging around:

DSC_0762.jpg

6. Cycle repeats. I haven't timed it, but I'd say a surge happens about every 30 seconds, maybe a little less. the siphon breaking is pretty loud. I diminished the noise a little by putting a little piece of airline tubing in the opening of the siphon, which lets the air in more slowly over a longer period of time, but it's still pretty loud, so if anyone has any suggestions for making it quieter I would love to hear them.

Just a few more random pics, again, not very good, but they're all I have for now:

DSC_0773.jpg

DSC_0772.jpg

DSC_0768.jpg

-Jamie

Thanks everyone. FF- I love your cuttlefish! They're so cool!

Anyways, here are a few more pics for you guys. A little better than the ones before, it'll probably be awhile till i get any new pics cause it's going to be a busy week, and I won't be here next weekend. Good news though, I'm going to the beach next weekend, so maybe I'll be able to get some more stuff.

Front FTS

DSC_0831.jpg

Side Fts

DSC_0849.jpg

Anemones:

DSC_0838.jpg

DSC_0846.jpg

DSC_0851.jpg

Bubbles!

DSC_0840.jpg

Another view of the xantho:

DSC_0853.jpg

-Jamie

Very Nice!

I went and saw Steve Weasts tanks on friday, I also got there when the lights were off. Still really awesome to see though, I wonder what happened to his giant anemone tank?

where did you get all the anemones i did a cold water tank for 6 months and the had to get rid of it because parents said i had to may tanks

i had alot of waratah and beadlet anemones

zissou - yep, collected everything myself. I'd like to see some pics of your tank, too if you have any.

darklyte-yeah, I really should start a new thread, or at least change the titel of this one. The zeroedge hasn't been up for a long time.

Also, I got some new stuff this weekend when I wen to the beach. Kelps, a few new anemones, some really colorful snails, a sculpin, and surfgrass, among other things. I don't know when I'll get pictures up (finals are approaching :scarry: ) but when I do, the may be in a new thread, directed more towards the new tank.

-Jamie

Archived