Coral Vue Hydros

Custom ZeroEdge Coldwater Tank

Jamie

Beautiful new setup!

I like the big rock in the back - the white is part of the rock or just something encrusting? Is that a local rock? (Sorry, geologist coming out)

Thanks! The rock is local (basalt, I believe, but not sure) The holes in the rock are from rock boring mussels. The white is a dead, encrusting bryozoan of some type. Giant kelps attach to rocks like these, then wash up on the beach. I cut off the kelp attachment when I found the rock, just cause it's so cool looking. Not much survived on the rock in it's trip through the surf zone and subsequent drying on the beach, but it makes a nice decoration, and it will eventually get covered it corallines and such.

Wow Cool pix! Hi Jamie, may i know what goby/blenny is that and also those eggs belongs to it or the snails? :happy:

Thanks, that would be a Catalina goby, Lythrypnus dalli (from california area). I'm afraid I do not see the eggs you speak of, but wherever they are, I would guess they are from the snails. The gobies have not formed any sort of paring that I can see. They tolerate eachother, but I'm not sure that they're too happy about being in the same tank together.

-Jamie

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
kingwintergreen
Wow Cool pix! Hi Jamie, may i know what goby/blenny is that and also those eggs belongs to it or the snails? :happy:

If you are referring to the orange mass on one of the larger rocks, as I suspect, the "eggs" are actually the colonial tunicate Didmnum lahillei. You won't find it in Pacific Northwest field guides, as it is invasive. In fact, they are battling it up the entire US West Coast, and I would forewarn anyone to not let a warden catch you handling this stuff in the wild (especially in Washington)-- they would likely burn your aquarium and send you to Abu Graib.

kingwintergreen
If you are referring to the orange mass on one of the larger rocks, as I suspect, the "eggs" are actually the colonial tunicate Didmnum lahillei. You won't find it in Pacific Northwest field guides, as it is invasive. In fact, they are battling it up the entire US West Coast, and I would forewarn anyone to not let a warden catch you handling this stuff in the wild (especially in Washington)-- they would likely burn your aquarium and send you to Abu Graib.

Typo... meant Didemnum lahillei... By the ways, nice pics, Jamie. The cobblestone makes a killer quasi-barebottom substrate, and it has a really unique appearance. Is that an inlet line coming in through a hole in that big rock?

Thanks for the name on the tunicate. Apparently they are originally from europe. I fragged them off a huge colony that was smothering a piece of kelp growing off the docks in newport bay.

Yes, the cobblestone is great. I can't say I came up with the idea myself though; Steave Weast has the same in his tanks. When I started out with coldwater tanks I used native sand, but the particles of sand are so small that the whole sandbed gets really densely packed, then gets covered in cyano. Rubble is much more attractive, and easier to clean, imo.

And yes, the inlet comes through the rock. I was pretty fortunate to get a rock with a perfectly placed hole like that. I guess sometimes it pays off to go beachcombing in the rain. :P

-Jamie

Thanks for the support. I was afraid people might not take the switch of tanks very well. My sister was practically screaming at me for taking the zeroedge down. :(

These pics are similar to ones above, but focused differently so you can see the patterns on the anemones better:

DSC_0221.jpg

DSC_0237.jpg

-Jamie

wow u made it out of glass.

im still designing it and hopefully i get the acrylic next week....

im just measuring the pieces. and perfecting it.

lol just a question where is your water output???

i have to say i preferd the zero edge but it's still a very nice tank, it's good to see something a bit different. I wanted to ask how do you stop the tank emptying via the pump during a power cut?

I liked the zeroedge better, too, but it wasn't a healthy environment for the anemones. Not near enough flow.

Thats another reason I took it down. If there was a power outage, all the water in the tank would just drain down into the sump. This would be fine if the sump had a larger volume then the tank, but I was only using a two gallon, so it would overflow.

Coolwaters- now that the tank is no longer set up, I can take some pics that better show the mechanics of everything. The water drains out in the back channel, behind the tank.

-Jamie

that would be great since im trying to make one i need as much info i can get.

i'll try to find a check valve to prevent the water to drain away. but im putting the output high up there so 100% of the water wont drain away.

when i first looked at your tank i thought it was FW lol

I cleaned up te tank today, but I haven't gotten pictures yet. Finals start tomorrow, so it may take a few days to get pics, upload, etc.

-Jamie

I will set up the zeroedge sometime as a tropical setup, once I find a check valve. I cleaned it up to some degree, so here are the pics:

DSC_0349.jpg

DSC_0352-1.jpg

And some new pics of the tank:

FTS with new backround and new light:

DSC_0319-1.jpg

Special rock pic for dshnarw:

DSC_0284.jpg

Crab just molted:

DSC_0342.jpg

Anemones:

DSC_0291.jpg

DSC_0286.jpg

Experimenting with top down shots:

DSC_0328-1.jpg

DSC_0331-1.jpg

DSC_0334.jpg

-Jamie

I'm glad you like it. :)

Also, I sliced one of the anemones for you. It did not approve. I think it'll make it, but it's not acting like any other anemone I've fragged. I don't think it liked being unattached from the rock, and got it's foot all bunched up. Now it won't attach, and is not making the typical "C" shape they do. Unlike most anemones this ha a very stiff foot. I don't know if it has the ability to stretch itself around like that. Other than that it seems fine, no melting or anything. I guess we'll see. BTW this was not A. elegantissima I sliced, I can't remember the latin name right now. It's common name is buried anemone, if that's any help. <_< Closely related to A. elegantissima though.

-Jamie

I'm glad you like it. :)

Also, I sliced one of the anemones for you. It did not approve. I think it'll make it, but it's not acting like any other anemone I've fragged. I don't think it liked being unattached from the rock, and got it's foot all bunched up. Now it won't attach, and is not making the typical "C" shape they do. Unlike most anemones this ha a very stiff foot. I don't know if it has the ability to stretch itself around like that. Other than that it seems fine, no melting or anything. I guess we'll see. BTW this was not A. elegantissima I sliced, I can't remember the latin name right now. It's common name is buried anemone, if that's any help. <_< Closely related to A. elegantissima though.

-Jamie

COOL!!! fingerscrossed I've never seen one not curl up after being cut, but I've never had one that had anything close to stiff foot - minis and BTAs are fairly jelly-like. I'm still working on a tank design...and a way to break it to Amber. My inventory of "junk parts" indicates that I just need a cooling system and some mini carpets ;)

How big of a system are you thinking? My chiller is 1/10 hp, and it can only keep my tank down to 62 during the day, and it's not even summer. My tank isn't very well insulated though. If you're going with a bigger tank I would say:

-thick acrylic (more insulative than glass)

-biggest chiller you can afford

-styrofoam under bottom bottom and on back

-insulate the plumbing(I think home depot sells flexible pipe insulation)

Also since you live where it's pretty humid, you have to worry about sweating. From my understanding, water will condense on glass that is the same temperature as the dewpoint on that particular day. The dewpoint never gets above 50 here, so I don't have to worry, but I imagine it is higher in the DC area.

I'm thinking about slicing one of the anemones with it still attached to the rock. The rocks are so flat and smooth that I think it would work ok. Only one way to find out!

-Jamie

COOL!!! fingerscrossed I've never seen one not curl up after being cut, but I've never had one that had anything close to stiff foot - minis and BTAs are fairly jelly-like. I'm still working on a tank design...and a way to break it to Amber. My inventory of "junk parts" indicates that I just need a cooling system and some mini carpets ;)

He broke it to me and.............................................................................

...........He gets the tank. Hes getting my old 3g acryllic tank.

How big of a system are you thinking? My chiller is 1/10 hp, and it can only keep my tank down to 62 during the day, and it's not even summer. My tank isn't very well insulated though. If you're going with a bigger tank I would say:

-thick acrylic (more insulative than glass)

-biggest chiller you can afford

-styrofoam under bottom bottom and on back

-insulate the plumbing(I think home depot sells flexible pipe insulation)

Also since you live where it's pretty humid, you have to worry about sweating. From my understanding, water will condense on glass that is the same temperature as the dewpoint on that particular day. The dewpoint never gets above 50 here, so I don't have to worry, but I imagine it is higher in the DC area.

I'm thinking about slicing one of the anemones with it still attached to the rock. The rocks are so flat and smooth that I think it would work ok. Only one way to find out!

-Jamie

Amber is sending me her 3g acrylic, I have 1.5" styrofoam pieces from a shipment of coral that I'm going to cut and shape to fit the bottom, back, and one side that will end up next to a wall. I'll also have some pieces for the front and other side for when I'm gone (planning to put it in my office), for extra insulation. The chiller lines will go through the styrofoam as much as possible, and insulated otherwise.

Dewpoints around here can get up into the 60s, so I'm prepared to live with sweating.

As for temps in the office - the summer is no problem - ithe A/C works really well (as in need a sweatshirt). So just about any chiller should work for summer. Winter is the real problem at the office, and if all else fails I can bring it back to the apartment.

So anyway - I'm still exploring chiller options, but won't need a huge one...yet...(one day I'll want a bigger coldwater tank...)

Yay! I assure you that you won't be disappointed with a coldwater tank. I have a native rock for you if you want it. It was once alive, so it has good encrustation (did I just make up a word? :P ) on it, but is currently sitting on my deck. I can throw it in the sump/overflow area to get some bacteral goodness on it for you if you like. It's pretty dense though, so shipping would be more.

If you have air conditioning I doubt you'll have problems with sweating. For a chiller I would say you could do a 1/15, but 1/10 would be safer. I have a Pacific Coast Imports chiller and I have been pleased with it. I don't know about those ICA nano chillers. I haven't heard good things about them, but they are really cheap, so maybe worth a try. Or you could try making your own chiller. I posted a link to instructions for making one in the other coldwater thread if you're interested.

I really have to go see Steve Weasts tank. I think I might be able to convince the store owners to sell me some things. If not, I'll have to learn to scuba dive.

Hoobahans - Any news on the strawberries? Did you get them? How are they doing?

-Jamie

Yay! I assure you that you won't be disappointed with a coldwater tank. I have a native rock for you if you want it. It was once alive, so it has good encrustation (did I just make up a word? :P ) on it, but is currently sitting on my deck. I can throw it in the sump/overflow area to get some bacteral goodness on it for you if you like. It's pretty dense though, so shipping would be more.

If you have air conditioning I doubt you'll have problems with sweating. For a chiller I would say you could do a 1/15, but 1/10 would be safer. I have a Pacific Coast Imports chiller and I have been pleased with it. I don't know about those ICA nano chillers. I haven't heard good things about them, but they are really cheap, so maybe worth a try. Or you could try making your own chiller. I posted a link to instructions for making one in the other coldwater thread if you're interested.

I really have to go see Steve Weasts tank. I think I might be able to convince the store owners to sell me some things. If not, I'll have to learn to scuba dive.

Hoobahans - Any news on the strawberries? Did you get them? How are they doing?

-Jamie

's ok on the rock - I've got a bunch of rock "eggs" from Maine that I collected on the beaches in between sledge-hammering samples from the outcrops that would look good. (btw...don't kill barnacles....the stench of dead barnacle is close to the worst smell I've ever had the displeasure of sniffing. Especially bad when it's sat in a baggie on your rock sample for a couple weeks...) I guess I can cycle the tank with the dead shrimp technique.

I was thinking I might go for a DIY, I'll check out the link (thanks). I have an old dorm fridge that'll be in my office. I think on a tank that small, the fridge should do the trick, so I'll give it a test run and see. If not, my father does HVAC, so maybe he'll have old parts sitting around. No harm in trying the freebies first.

Good luck getting the strawberries! (If you do, I'll have a maxi waiting for a trade ;))

(btw...don't kill barnacles....the stench of dead barnacle is close to the worst smell I've ever had the displeasure of sniffing. Especially bad when it's sat in a baggie on your rock sample for a couple weeks...) I guess I can cycle the tank with the dead shrimp technique.

Been there, one too many times.

I was thinking I might go for a DIY, I'll check out the link (thanks). I have an old dorm fridge that'll be in my office. I think on a tank that small, the fridge should do the trick, so I'll give it a test run and see. If not, my father does HVAC, so maybe he'll have old parts sitting around. No harm in trying the freebies first.

I hope that works out for you. If it does, I may try it, because I'm going to need two chillers (one for my tropical tank, too) once summer comes around. Our house doesn't have AC, and can get up in the 90's on the hot days. I may just have to move the CW tank to the basement.

Good luck getting the strawberries! (If you do, I'll have a maxi waiting for a trade ;))

I decided on what to do with the zeroedge -

Anemone Symbiont Tank!

Now all I need is the anemones. Actually, I also need the symbionts. I have the tank though!

I'm thinking:

S. tapetum

mini H. hemprichii (have already in my tropical tank)

euphyllid of some sort

M. digitata for some variety

various anemone shrimp

pom pom crab

porcelain crab

Of course, for this tank to work I have to have mini carpets, which you have. :ninja:

-Jamie

Been there, one too many times.

I hope that works out for you. If it does, I may try it, because I'm going to need two chillers (one for my tropical tank, too) once summer comes around. Our house doesn't have AC, and can get up in the 90's on the hot days. I may just have to move the CW tank to the basement.

I decided on what to do with the zeroedge -

Anemone Symbiont Tank!

Now all I need is the anemones. Actually, I also need the symbionts. I have the tank though!

I'm thinking:

S. tapetum

mini H. hemprichii (have already in my tropical tank)

euphyllid of some sort

M. digitata for some variety

various anemone shrimp

pom pom crab

porcelain crab

Of course, for this tank to work I have to have mini carpets, which you have. :ninja:

-Jamie

:lol: What an interesting predicament we have here...

I like the anemone/symbionts tank idea. Cool concept. What would be cool is if the pom pom picked up a tapetum for defense!

yeesh...don't think I could stand 90 INSIDE the house. 72...always. But I don't have to pay the electric bill either (only reason I'm enjoying the rental experience).

The pompom is the only animal I already have that would go in the tank, and he already has anemones on both his claws. It'd be interesting to see though, maybe if I see one without anemones I'll pick it up for an experiment. That would, or course, not be possible until I have some mini carpets ;) .

The temperature issue has made us quite good at regulating the temperature of the house naturally. At night, we open all the windows and put fans in them, that generally gets the house to about seventy. Then, in the morning, we shut all the windows, close the blinds, and if necessary, take refuge in the basement, which is always much cooler than the rest of the house. Unfortunately, both tanks are on the upper floor, where the air is the hottest, not helped by the fact that I will be running two chillers.

Last day of finals tomorrow! :happydance:

But I'm taking the SAT on saturday morning. <_<

But then I get to go to the beach! :happydance:

I haven't checked the tides yet, but hopefully I'll be able to get something.

-Jamie

Edit: just checked the tides, and it's not going to be low at all while I'm there. Oh well.

Archived