Top Shelf Aquatics

Custom ZeroEdge Coldwater Tank

Jamie

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent.

In other news, I set up the zeroedge again today (this time it's tropical). I'll have to make another thread for that, but here's what I'm thinking:

Mangroves

S. tapetum

E. crucifer

M. digitata

M. capricornis

various anemone symbionts

The main feature will be the mangroves. I've read up on techniques for geting them to grow their trademark aerial prop roots. I'm just picturing a mangrove coming up out of the back of the tank. Big knotty roots curving down into the water. Anemones and various anemone symbionts basking in the filtereing through the trees above. I'm psyched B)

-Jamie

UPDATE:

Aside from those two fish deaths, everything is going well. The sliced anemones are still two distinct halves, no sign of curling up or anything, but they're staying open, so I'm still optimistic. The kelp crab (still haven't gotten a decent picture of it) is growing quickly. Some of the ones at the beach I caught were basketball sized, so I'll probably be getting rid of him in the next few months, assuming he continues to grow at this rate. The big ones I caught were really cool. They were incredibly slow moving, so you could just pick them up, and the never tried to bite you, they'd just sort of wrap their arms around your hand and sit there.

I'm thinking about changing my setup a little. Even with the new arrangement, flow is not as much as I like, so I'm thinking about setting up a horizontal gyre-type tank. That way I could maximize flow without adding too many more pumps. If I can, I'd like to have the flow switch directions every ten minutes or so, to eliminate dead spots behing rocks and things. If I have time maybe next weekend I'l start working on it.

-Jamie

kingwintergreen
Mike can have the tunicate, if he wants it. But, without a gorg frag (I understand, Mike) AND without the Catalina goby (I understand, Jamie), giving up both of my stubbies is a hard sell. I'll do it, but I will want the original rock, with AT LEAST 12 adult strawberries still on it. And, Jamie, it would be nice if you could supply two of the six aggregating nems (I'll supply 4, of course). So, to reiterate:

1. I get rock with 12+ Corynactis (maybe some shrimp), I give two stubbies and four aggregating nems

2. Jamie gets one stubby and some Corynactis (we split number of them that exceeds 12, if it does), and gives two aggregating nems

3. Mike gives Corynactis rock, gets one stubby and six aggregating nems

Deal? I'll try to keep in touch, but I'll be visiting family for the next few days (I'm actually leaving soon). If you both like this arrangement, go ahead with it (Mike can send the stuff up to Jamie) and I will deliver/pick up on the 9th or 10th of Feb (hopefully both work for now, I'll have to check other plans before I can say which). In any case, Jamie will ship all of Mike's stuff (perhaps on Mon 11th). For my part, I can assure both of you that I will deliver on time and that my animals are in perfect health. Hopefully I'll hear from both of you soon...

I'm back... When Mike jumps back on board, hopefully we can resume our talk of trading some cool stuff...

I can still undertake my pick-up/delivery either day this weekend...

kingwintergreen
Okay, I'll pm him and see if he can ship this week. Sunday would probably be better for me, but I think either day will work.

Anything going on yet? Miiiiiiike...

Thanks you two! I'm working on yet another tank design, a horizontal gyre type thing, but I'm not sure if I'll actually do it. I could also go with just a nice looking display tank, but I need to figure out a good way to get enough flow.

I have a feeling the trade won't happen this weekend. Unless Mike shipped today and we just haven't heard about it yet. I suppose if he shipped tomorrow, overnight, it would (hopefully) get here on Sunday, but timing could be an issue. Will other weekends work for you? I hope this wasn't our one chance.

-Jamie

I now present the new and improved coldwater tank!

It is a horizontal gyre tank. The anemones needed more flow, and adding more than one more pump would raise the temperature too much, so this is what I decided on. Here is a picture of the whole thing:

DSC_0399.jpg

The shelf is a single piece of acrylic. I used an embossing gun to heat it up and bend it. I also cut "legs" on one side, but they are hideous and weakend the structure so much that it is cracking with the weight of the rocks. I'm going to leave it for now, but I might end up making a new one.

Here are a couple random pics:

Shrimp and anemone:

DSC_0411.jpg

DSC_0415.jpg

and a cropped fts:

DSC_0401.jpg

And a Happy Valentines day wish to everyone. My anemone was feeling the love:

DSC_0360-2.jpg

:wub:

-Jamie

I'll be leaving for the beach tomorrow. It's going to be really nice - sunny and highs near 60. Rare for Oregon this time of year. Hopefully I'll find something good to bring back.

-Jamie

I've collected some great stuff. I got five or six of the typical pink and white elegants. They seem smaller than average though. I also got four larger than average elegants with multi-colored tentacles (green, white, pink), and one approx. 3 inch xantho. I'll try to get pics as soon as I can when I get home.

-Jamie

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry it's been a really long time since I've had an update and there are still no pictures. Fortunately spring break is only a week away, so I'll have some time to take pics. I'm going up to puget sound, so hopefully I'll be able to get some some cool anemones and things. The kelp crab is getting too big, I don't really know what I'm going to do with it, they're basketball sized when full grown. Right now it's silver dollar sized, and growing very quickly. The anemones are doing fine, however I'm having water clarity issues. I think the daily feedings with no filtration are having an effect on the water quality; I might need to run some carbon for a while. I also haven't done a water change on either of my tanks in, like, three months, which might not be so good. Most of the large elegantissima's I collected have split, so I have 6 or 7 large ones, plus 10 or so small ones.

I don't know what I'm going to do this summer, because I need the chiller for my tropical tank. I'll have to buy another chiller if I want to keep the coldwater tank, but I don't know that I'll be able to afford one (at least, without mooching off my parents).

-Jamie

modularduck

lookin super sweet Jamie! still working on my cold water hoping to have it up and running soon so i can do some collecting at the end of summer. keep it up!

Cool! If I can recommend a few places for collecting: Arch cape (just south of cannon beach) is packed with large anthopleura elegantissima and xathogrammica. Shortsands beach is good for xantho's, and I've also found a green w/ white edge variety of elegantissima there. If you want to go a little farther south, netarts bay has great eelgrass flats where you can get shrimp and little crabs and things. Last summer there were tons of little gunnels ( a type of eel-like fish) there, but I didn't see any when I went around christmastime. I think they may only come into the shallows during the warmer months.

Good luck with collecting!

-Jamie

Well, I got some great stuff from Puget sound, but I barely had time to drop everything in my tank before we left for the oregon coast, so... no pictures. Hopefully I will get pics up on sunday. It's really good stuff though, so I think it'll be worth the wait. Also, everything has been moved out of the 5 gallon gyre tank into a 2 gal, because the chiller couldn't keep the 5 cold enough now that the weather is warming up. I'm working on a new tank design (hopefully this one will last) but I don't know how much I will get done before school starts up again.

-Jamie

Pictures! Finally!

A quick top down shot of the front of the tank.

DSC_0442.jpg

Metridium farcimen:

DSC_0452.jpg

A. elegantissima

DSC_0455.jpg

DSC_0469.jpg

DSC_0475.jpg

DSC_0477.jpg

DSC_0478.jpg

A. xanthogrammica

DSC_0470.jpg

Feather duster:

DSC_0457.jpg

DSC_0474.jpg

-Jamie

I love it. I've gotten so spoiled I've stopped buying things for my tropical tank. Why buy when you can get it for free? That is, assuming you can find it in the wild. ;)

In other news, I'm currently working on a new ( yes another ) coldwater tank for all this stuff to go in. If it works, it will be amazing. If it works...

-Jamie

fraggle rockette

wow. your tank is awesome. i love the northern coast riverstone feel it has... just like polished rock tidepools. great work!!!

Archived