SaltCritters.com

TJ_Burton Returns - last pics...

TJ_Burton

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply
L M A O!!!

It's all part of my evil plan... MUHAHAHAHA...

Now that you'll have a table of contents it's all good!

Well, while you attempt to destroy my thread ;) I figure I might as well post up the pic of the tank that has inspired me the most as far as aquascaping and select coral placement is concerned. You may have seen it before.

And this tank has greatly influenced the way I look at aquascaping as well.

post-7376-1201744204_thumb.jpg

***update***

-Stand is complete and being delivered tomorrow

-Display tanked had all holes drilled (7 holes) and one was questionable. It had a slight pair of cracks less then 1/8" which ended up destroying the back panel of the tank when it got gently tapped. So I am picking up a new 40br tomorrow to start from scratch. Although, I am going to repair the cracked tank and re drill through the hole. I will use the repaired tank to insure that the returns etc. function as I intended them to. This way if anything is not up to my standards, I can just make adjustments when I do the new 40br.

***update***

-Stand is complete and being delivered tomorrow

-Display tanked had all holes drilled (7 holes) and one was questionable. It had a slight pair of cracks less then 1/8" which ended up destroying the back panel of the tank when it got gently tapped. So I am picking up a new 40br tomorrow to start from scratch. Although, I am going to repair the cracked tank and re drill through the hole. I will use the repaired tank to insure that the returns etc. function as I intended them to. This way if anything is not up to my standards, I can just make adjustments when I do the new 40br.

Did the cracks cause the glass to shatter when you tapped it? Just wondering how you're going to repair it by re-drilling through the hole.

Did the cracks cause the glass to shatter when you tapped it? Just wondering how you're going to repair it by re-drilling through the hole.

I will actually be placing a new panel of glass over the cracked area. It isn't tempered so it wont shatter. I can try to take some pics of that as well.

Do you mind me asking what your total budget for material and labor is for this entire setup, including lighting?

Also, I added a cost breakdown on the Main Page (first post) as per PurpleUP's request.

Alright, it FINALLY arrived!

Here is the stand, completed, in all it's glory. I don't have the build picks of it yet, as I am still waiting on my bud to send them to me, so those will be posted up top once I have them.

Ya I know, "GET ON WITH THE PICS"

Here they are. (I apologize for the crappy camera work, colors are a little off due to the flash and very low pot light.

The Stand

StandFrontalFar.jpg

A bit closer

StandFrontal.jpg

Side view

StandSideAngle.jpg

Better look at the hardware

StandHardware.jpg

Canopy

CanopyClosed.jpg

Canopy Open

CanopyOpen.jpg

Doors Closed

DoorsClosed.jpg

Doors Open

StandDoorsOpen.jpg

Access from left side of tank to sump (for plumbing - there is also one on the right side)

StandAccessHoleSide.jpg

Fan port in canopy

CanopyFanPort.jpg

I am sure you can see the crack in the tank... That is what I will have to repair. I will post pics of the repair job when I am done and drill out the holes again.

The fans actually get covered by the reflector, however the reflector leaves about 3/4" gap between itself and the canopy. This will allow for airflow, and should cause the polished aluminum reflector to act as a heat-sink as the fan draws hot air directly off the metal.

If there are any questions let me know! I hope to have the build pics up shortly.

**edit**

Figured I should also mention, the canopy is completely removable.

Excellent craftsmanship. Nice lines. How in the heck did he get the wood to line up so straight! Nice stain job too. I like how the canopy opens up to access the lighting and the top of the tank (for Top Down shots). You got your money's worth with that stand. Flawless.

Yo man...

THAT IS SICK! I love the setup!

Ben

Excellent craftsmanship. Nice lines. How in the heck did he get the wood to line up so straight! Nice stain job too. I like how the canopy opens up to access the lighting and the top of the tank (for Top Down shots). You got your money's worth with that stand. Flawless.

The exterior of the stand is made with pine paneling that pretty much interlocks. It is all solid wood, no compressed board, plywood, or mdf. My biggest concern when building this baby, was redundancy. I wanted everything to be fully accessible and able to be removed if necessary.

Well,

Today I picked up some more stuff for the tank. A new 40br for starters... As well as four 15lb bags of Fiji Pink substrate, and two 10lb bags of Fiji Pink arag-alive. 35lbs for the display, and 45lbs for the fuge's dsb.

New40Br.jpg

SubstrateFIJIPINK.jpg

SubstrateFIJIPINKCloseup.jpg

I also took a shot of the cracked 40br with the returns in place.

Damaged40Returns.jpg

Now THAT is a nice-looking stand. It looks like you definitely got your money's worth. I would be mildly (but not extremely) concerned that the canopy will allow you to sufficiently vent excess heat from the lighting you are planning to use. A couple of well-placed fans should solve that, I would think, but it is something that would have to be dealt with.

That thing looks like it could hold my car up, let alone a measly 40 gallons. That is some serious construction.

Too bad your first 40B cracked. Did it happen while you were drilling it, or when you were putting the fittings on? Whatever the cause, i'm sure you'll get it right this time.

I am really psyched to see how this system plays out. It looks to me like you are now in the home stretch.

I'll be following along again.

Sorry I disappeared for awhile, it's just that my tank is more or less "full" and mature, so there is little for me to do but wait for growth. My maintenence routine has been slimmed down to just a few minutes a day, my tank is doing very well, and I find that staring at all these beautiful tanks makes me want to spend money I don't have on upgrades I don't need so I was taking a brief break from torturing myself, lol.

Of course you had to know it wouldn't last more than a week or two. :)

Now THAT is a nice-looking stand. It looks like you definitely got your money's worth. I would be mildly (but not extremely) concerned that the canopy will allow you to sufficiently vent excess heat from the lighting you are planning to use. A couple of well-placed fans should solve that, I would think, but it is something that would have to be dealt with.

That thing looks like it could hold my car up, let alone a measly 40 gallons. That is some serious construction.

Too bad your first 40B cracked. Did it happen while you were drilling it, or when you were putting the fittings on? Whatever the cause, i'm sure you'll get it right this time.

I am really psyched to see how this system plays out. It looks to me like you are now in the home stretch.

I'll be following along again.

Sorry I disappeared for awhile, it's just that my tank is more or less "full" and mature, so there is little for me to do but wait for growth. My maintenence routine has been slimmed down to just a few minutes a day, my tank is doing very well, and I find that staring at all these beautiful tanks makes me want to spend money I don't have on upgrades I don't need so I was taking a brief break from torturing myself, lol.

Of course you had to know it wouldn't last more than a week or two. :)

Glad to have you back!!!

As far as the fans are concerned, I am pretty sure the ventilation design I have set up with those 6"/7 blade industrial cooling fans will handle the heat. What other ventilation/fans would you add to make it more effective?

Glad to have you back!!!

As far as the fans are concerned, I am pretty sure the ventilation design I have set up with those 6"/7 blade industrial cooling fans will handle the heat. What other ventilation/fans would you add to make it more effective?

Oh I missed that bit. That sounds like plenty of ventilation to me. I just always worry about heat accumulating inside canopies. I have always run open tops, so i'm not sure to what extent it is an issue. This is, paranthetically, also why I have never kept a jawfish, despite the fact that I love them so. I know the little guy would be carpet surfing within a week, and I can't stand lids, so I do without.

Oh I missed that bit. That sounds like plenty of ventilation to me. I just always worry about heat accumulating inside canopies. I have always run open tops, so i'm not sure to what extent it is an issue. This is, paranthetically, also why I have never kept a jawfish, despite the fact that I love them so. I know the little guy would be carpet surfing within a week, and I can't stand lids, so I do without.

I understand that. However, The back of the canopy is completely open to allow for entry of air. The canopy doesn't enclose the tank completely, also the stand is completely open at the back. This should allow for the tank to breathe. If I were to add any jumpers, I would probably want to cover the back of the canopy (at least half way) with a plastic meshing to prevent fish from jumping out the back of the canopy.

Sweet set up!! Looks like a well thought out plan. Looking forward to it getting wet. Keep up the great work. I'll be tagging along.

Thanks, and will do!

Alright,

I got about half of the lighting installed last night, and thats pretty much it so far. I have been working quite a bit so the tank has been neglected.

On a higher note,

The Acros I got from Marte are really starting to change color! The tricolor (which was just brown with purple tips) is now almost completely purple, and the teal acro w/ baby blue tips is has gotten all the color in it's tips and polyps back, and the body has turned green.

Also, my blue Anthelia has recently gone through a major growth spurt and has gotten at least 40% bigger since the last pics. It has also started to spread on the surrounding rocks. I am not sure what caused this spurt but it is nice to see that it is recovering!

Your coral are doing awsome before you even get them into the display tank!!

Well, I am giving them almost an identical environment, as well as top knotch care! So I hope they are doing well :)

I got a new camera! Didn't get a DSLR as I am going to wait for the Canon Rebel XSi to come out first, but I ended up getting a pretty good deal on a Canon G9! This camera is actually quite amazing for a PS camera, and has manual focus which I find pretty important/usefull when shooting through glass or acrylic, or symply for artistic ability.

I will post some updated shots of my anthelia (which I have a small frag of) and the sps I got from Marte.

I also made some of my own mag-racks since Sushi doesn't ship to canada :( - They turned out very well IMO and finally put my old/extra small mag-floats to use!

The tank is sort of in neutral, and I have a lot of work to do on it still. I won't get it done until maybe early march at this rate... but you know what they say, "slow and steady wins the race!"

Alright, been messing around with the cam on auto.

DIY Mag Racks:

MagRack3.jpg

MagRack2.jpg

MagRack1.jpg

Blue Anthelia:

Jan 22nd-

BlueAntheliaRecover.jpg

Today-

BlueAntheliaFeb1108.jpg

Some random shots:

FullTankFlash.jpg

MPalaMacro.jpg