Top Shelf Aquatics

TJ_Burton Returns - last pics...

TJ_Burton

Well, I have no new updates on the tank other then I am one over flow panel (should be arriving next week) away from a completed 40g system! I already have some gorgeous live rock picked out and waiting at my LFS for me. Only thing left to do is install the panel, do a test run of the system, then put it in place and get it cycling!

In the meanwhile, I am always on a quest to further my collection. I picked these frags up today along with a coupling (which is what I actually went for).

I am not going to try to name all of these, but I think these could be monster lips

MonsterLips.jpg

Peaches and Creme (lol I made that up)

PeachesandCreme.jpg

Really nice greens (these look amazing in person)

SlimeGreen.jpg

Extremely nice teal/blue (again, need to be seen in person)

TealTyphoon2.jpg

Really stunning pinks

RadicalPinks2.jpg

Now these are wicked! Reminds me of PPE but with a pink skirt instead of green!

PinkRimPPE3.jpg

PinkRimPPE.jpg

Nice orange cap frag (I had to mount it)

OrangeCap.jpg

Just a top down shot of the teals, and my green maxima that made it in the frame.

newbies.jpg

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

where are you getting the wye check valve? and where did you get the pink rim ppe thing? i would think they were prpe but that pink looks crazy pastel, let me know when you have frags of that!

where are you getting the wye check valve? and where did you get the pink rim ppe thing? i would think they were prpe but that pink looks crazy pastel, let me know when you have frags of that!

I already ordered, received and installed the checkvalves. I got them from here.

I got the pink rim ppe things from an LFS, Big Al's Aquarium Services in Oakville (Canada). I will let you know when I have frags available. I can not ship though :(

I have officially given up waiting. My LFS STILL hasn't received my overflow panel from the manufacturer, so I have requested to be able to make the hour long trip to the manufacturer and pick it up myself today! So god willing, I will have some photos of my completed plumbing ready for Sunday! I am aiming to also have it running salt with LR for Sunday as well. I have some LR at the LFS that I have had on hold for a week that I have to pick up today, hopefully it won't lose too much color sitting in buckets for a few days.

THE FIRST DROP OF WATER!

Well, I finally picked up the overflow panel and installed it. I gave it the suggested 24hrs+ to dry, and figured it due time to fill the thing up so I can patch up my mistaks ;) (which there were a few).

First a couple pics of the finished plumbing:

This setup is very simple IMHO. It looks clean, and uncomplicated.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

I had to build on to the stand a bit to make a shelf for the closed loop pump:

IMG_0004.jpg

FINALLY, The overflow panel! (My silicon job is very sturdy, just not so attractive):

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

And lastly - The leak test!

IMG_0013.jpg

So here is the outcome:

Lets start with problems...

-The main drain leaks at the bulkhead - easy enough fix

-One of the 2 spare 1" bulkheads on the sump is leaking from the cap - very easy

-The closed loop pump shows no signs of life when plugged in - HUGE PITA

-The main pump sounds like it is grinding internally - Could be an easy fix

And the good news!

-I am having amazing success with the silent overflow design, and the 1" spare Aux drain does the trick!

-The drain produces ZERO bubbles.

-The overflow panel's teeth are at a PERFECT hight!

-The return system/SCWD alone has amazing circulation! I can't wait to see the CL working too!

-My silicon job on the overflow is leakproof! lol

I am hoping to have the little setbacks sorted out by tomorrow so I can get some salt in this thing!

Just for fun, while I was taking pics of the frags for my classified ad, I took a pic of the new maxima I picked up!

IMG_0004-1.jpg

Just for fun, while I was taking pics of the frags for my classified ad, I took a pic of the new maxima I picked up!

IMG_0004-1.jpg

Hey TJ,

You are my Hero............

Cheers,

Lukan

Hey TJ,

You are my Hero............

Cheers,

Lukan

Get a life! lol...

It's funny hearing that from my biggest mentor in this hobby!

Get a life! lol...

It's funny hearing that from my biggest mentor in this hobby!

Hey,

Learning about the hobby is a never ending endevour. I like your tank. I must see it in person soon. Hurry up already, a few of my ricordia's need a place to call home.

Cheers,

Marte

Hey,

Learning about the hobby is a never ending endevour. I like your tank. I must see it in person soon. Hurry up already, a few of my ricordia's need a place to call home.

Cheers,

Marte

I am aiming to have water in it tonight! I have some room in my prop tank though ;)

I keep having to clear out zoas cause my tank is so packed!

And how rude of me to forget: Welcome to NR.com! :welcome:

When are you going to add your SH tank to this board?!

Alright, I got all the problems sorted out with the tank's plumbing, as well as with the pumps. So here it is running it's second fresh water test! I also included pictures of the sump water levels. You can see the speed of the water going through the refugium is a little quick, but most of it is across the surface due to the depth of the fuge. The baffles seemed to be spaced well, they don't get congested and could probably handle twice the flow going through them now. I had one of the 250w 20,000K halides running in these pics. It is pretty bright lol... I can't wait to get the others up and running!

TankFullShot.jpg

FullTankPanelShot.jpg

WaterMovementDisplay.jpg

OverflowPanel.jpg

Lighting-onehalideleft.jpg

SumpFull.jpg

Chamber1sump.jpg

Chamber2Fuge.jpg

Chamber3return.jpg

WaterMovementSump.jpg

Waterspeedbaffel1.jpg

I also picked up some LR which will probably go into the tank today! It is sitting in a full sized cooler, so you can roughly tell they are decent sized pieces. Got about 25lbs in there.

NewLR.jpg

stoney waters

WOW, that is a lot of water in the sump, it's good you were able to minimize the threat of flooding. How is that siphon overflow working. Dead silent? You could put a small MJ in the fuge to help distribute the flow. Any plans for an ATO?

WOW, that is a lot of water in the sump, it's good you were able to minimize the treat of flooding. How is that siphon overflow working. Dead silent? You could put a small MJ in the fuge to help distribute the flow. Any plans for an ATO?

The overflow is so incredibly quiet that the humming of the pumps is all I can hear! And it was remarkably easier to regulate then I expected. I found the sweet spot in about 30 seconds, and the auxiliary drain is the best failsafe I have come across to date!

I will certainly consider an MJ for the sump. The flow down there is actually pretty decent, but I can't see a whole lot just yet since it is still foggy from the sand.

I do plan to have an ATO reservoir placed beside the tank (to the right of the display). I don't want an ATO straight from an RO unit do to countless stories of flooding and display tanks crashing due to it staying on. I am going to keep a 5g-10g ATO of R/O water full as often as required.

Hey TJ,

IMO another thing to consider is the size of the return area in your sump. Since that is where the level will drop when water evaporates you might risk your return pump burning out since the water level will drop very quickly.

Ben

SeeDemTails

Looks good TJ!!! Cant wait to see it finished!

Got your nudis under control now?

I am bringing home my rainbow monti next week, it is HUGE now!, and nudi free. It is pushing itself up growing under the aragonite plug and down!

Hey TJ,

IMO another thing to consider is the size of the return area in your sump. Since that is where the level will drop when water evaporates you might risk your return pump burning out since the water level will drop very quickly.

Ben

Yeah I have taken that into account. It is actually a lot more water then it looks like! It is actually around 8 gallons. Still, I will be running an ATO to insure it doesn't drop below half way. I can have the tank shut down completely and it will not overflow the sump. There is about 10g of space between the room in the last baffle, and the 2.5" to the top of the 40br sump.

As long as I pay attention for now I shouldn't have any issues! :)

Looks good TJ!!! Cant wait to see it finished!

Got your nudis under control now?

I am bringing home my rainbow monti next week, it is HUGE now!, and nudi free. It is pushing itself up growing under the aragonite plug and down!

The nudis seem to be gone. I keep checking everyday just to be sure, and the montis seem to be recovering the damaged areas. So unless I see more nudis, it is safe for now.

Glad to hear yours is on it's way home! I'm sure your crazy excited!

Figured since I finally got the damn thing up and running I might as well keep the updates coming!

The unit is now officially beginning the cycle with the new LR. There are 4 pieces that total 25lbs, I may buy another 25lbs uncured and throw whatever I don't use for aquascaping in the sump with the 15lbs of rock rubble and 3.75" DSB.

Let the pics commence!

(yesterday)LRLine.jpg

PremiumLR.jpg

SumpShot.jpg

(today)

SumpDisplay.jpg

SumpFugeLRRubble.jpg

MoonlightsSTRONG.jpg

LRMoonlights.jpg

And to give an idea of how the returns are doing for the current I present you with a pic, and a video! (The R-Tard talking in the video is my little brother, and not he isn't talking about the tank) lol.

TankCirculationeg.jpg

th_TankCirculation.jpg

P.s. all the noise you hear in that vid is from the 20L - it is the loudest damn tank I ever set up. To quote my brother "the new tank is so quiet I keep thinking it's not running, and then open the cabinet to hear the pumps to make sure"

Looking good so far. I like what you've got started. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to see your progress.

Oh, btw, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Looking good so far. I like what you've got started. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to see your progress.

Oh, btw, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Fo shizzle, happy birthday. Damn 1986? Makes me feel old.

lol - I started this hobby pretty young. I was 17yrs old when I did the tank in my sig (the 20g). Come to think of it, I still feel pretty young! I ain't growing up any time soon. Screw that! ;)

Goodness. It looks beautiful already! Very nice setup

Thanks for the kind words :)

Still have a long way to go though! I think I may pick up more LR today.

The tank has cleared up quite a bit since I added the sand and LR, so I figured it time to add some pics. I have also got all the halides functioning now. All I can say is BRIGHT!!!

First 10K only shots.

Tank10KMHOn.jpg

Rockunder10K.jpg

Rockupclose.jpg

RockFlow.jpg

And now, with all the halides on.

3MHLighting.jpg

3MHLightingTank.jpg

Archived