SaltCritters.com

TJ_Burton Returns - last pics...

TJ_Burton

Its really not that tricky to get it right, provided you use a high-quality gate valve. The weight of the water pushing from above helps control the equilibrium. If the water level in the overflow rises a little, the pressure on the valve below increases, and the water level falls again. If it falls a little, the pressure is reduced and it rises again.

If it really fails big-time for some reason I am just completely failing to comprehend, you can always just open the valve all the way and slap a durso in the overflow, and voila, the system becomes a standard durso setup.

- Josh

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Its really not that tricky to get it right, provided you use a high-quality gate valve. The weight of the water pushing from above helps control the equilibrium. If the water level in the overflow rises a little, the pressure on the valve below increases, and the water level falls again. If it falls a little, the pressure is reduced and it rises again.

If it really fails big-time for some reason I am just completely failing to comprehend, you can always just open the valve all the way and slap a durso in the overflow, and voila, the system becomes a standard durso setup.

- Josh

Thats exactly my point! Even if it fails to work, all I end up with is Stockman style drain with an Aux drain to prevent accidental flooding do to the main drain being clogged.

I will keep you updated once I reach that point.

(Also, I did a diagram for Josh's drain) Josh, correct me if it is inaccurate.

post-7376-1200699686_thumb.jpg

noobwithatank

TJ, how is the work on the skimmer.. im looking at getting one soon for an planned upgrade.

also.. where abouts in canada are you from?

stoney waters
A little known fact that people often forget when they build their dursos is that the drain pipe itself should be larger than the bulkhead. If you build your own... don't forget.

This is true, the stand pipe that is. The drain below the bulkhead should be the same size as the bulkhead itself. Yes, stockman pipes will preform better if slightly over sized.

What Josh is trying to convey is what is commonly called the Herbie method. It is basically a controlled siphon. It is dead silent and bubble free, many reefers have described great success while others have considered them hard to maintain. I can actually convert my overflow into one by simply removing the the durso top to my stand pipe. I tinkered with the idea, but I like to turn the pumps off for feeding. It was to much trouble for me to restart it every time. Nice concept, it just didn't work out as nice for me.

TJ, how is the work on the skimmer.. im looking at getting one soon for an planned upgrade.

also.. where abouts in canada are you from?

I don't actually have the skimmer running yet, but when I do I would be more then happy to PM you with a review.

I am in Ontario, GTA.

This is true, the stand pipe that is. The drain below the bulkhead should be the same size as the bulkhead itself. Yes, stockman pipes will preform better if slightly over sized.

What Josh is trying to convey is what is commonly called the Herbie method. It is basically a controlled siphon. It is dead silent and bubble free, many reefers have described great success while others have considered them hard to maintain. I can actually convert my overflow into one by simply removing the the durso top to my stand pipe. I tinkered with the idea, but I like to turn the pumps off for feeding. It was to much trouble for me to restart it every time. Nice concept, it just didn't work out as nice for me.

Understandable. I am not sure if I will be shutting my pumps off for feeding or not. It is probably a smart idea though. I will make a stockman for backup, and also insure it is a little over sized. Thanks for the Input!

*update*

Figured I would show the progress on the anthellia.

Before:

BlueAntheliaRock.jpg

After:

Flash-

IMG_0216.jpg

No Flash-

IMG_0219.jpg

And also, just wanted to post this pic (sorry for the poor quality, like I said - camera is messed)

This is my Montipora palawanensis. I can't show you it's color which is becoming more stunning as time passes, but what I figured I could show was it's very nice growth pattern. It is probably one of the nicest Montiporas when it comes to texture. Polyps are bluing up nicely!

IMG_0207.jpg

Thats exactly my point! Even if it fails to work, all I end up with is Stockman style drain with an Aux drain to prevent accidental flooding do to the main drain being clogged.

I will keep you updated once I reach that point.

(Also, I did a diagram for Josh's drain) Josh, correct me if it is inaccurate.

Yep, that's exactly what I was getting at, and much prettier than my napkin drawing, lol.

Stoney, thanks for putting a name on it for me. Yep, the Herbie method is what I am describing. I googled it, and it's the same system. I had never heard it formally described before as such, and if I knew that, I could have just said "why not try the Herbie method?".

Googling "gate+valve+overflow+no+bubbles+silent" probably would have gotten me nowhere, lol.

I thought of yet another way to plumb it, but i'm going to save myself the hassle of typing it out here. Maybe i'll mangle another napkin later, for sh!ts and giggles, and post it here. It's just an idea for minimizing the amount of plumbing inside and behind the tank, and requires one less hole be drilled in the tank, which is nice. Gotta run to go out and get poopyfaced at the bar with some friends. Maybe, for sheer entertainment value, i'll test my drunken artistic skill when I get home.

When I build my next tank, i'm going to try out all my crazy plumbing ideas myself, rather than trying to convince some poor sap such as yourself to be my guinea pig, LOL!

Whatever you decide, i'm sure it will be nice, if your past tanks are any indication. I just enjoy the planning phase almost as much as having a running tank. This thread has been a source of much fun for me, as I love mental acrobatics and trying to build a better mousetrap, so to speak. I hope you understand that, as that is why I have repeatedly hijacked your thread.

I know, I know, i'll have another one of my own before too long, and then I can jabber on all day long. I am truly the long-windedest mofo around.

I thought of yet another way to plumb it, but i'm going to save myself the hassle of typing it out here. Maybe i'll mangle another napkin later, for sh!ts and giggles, and post it here. It's just an idea for minimizing the amount of plumbing inside and behind the tank, and requires one less hole be drilled in the tank, which is nice. Gotta run to go out and get poopyfaced at the bar with some friends. Maybe, for sheer entertainment value, i'll test my drunken artistic skill when I get home.

Still waiting for your drunken diagram!

*update*

Heading over to Marte's tonight to pick up some more freebies. I am getting some large sps, and possibly some bullseye shrooms etc. I have no idea where I am going to fit it all, but it's now or never unfortunately. I will try to get some pics when I get home.

Still waiting for your drunken diagram!

*update*

Heading over to Marte's tonight to pick up some more freebies. I am getting some large sps, and possibly some bullseye shrooms etc. I have no idea where I am going to fit it all, but it's now or never unfortunately. I will try to get some pics when I get home.

Must be nice to have a steady supply of FREE CORAL. I'm jealous man, especially since I don't have much money to play with right now. Lookin forward to the pics.

I was too drunken to be inclined to draw, and now i'm too tired.

I'll sketch something at work tomorrow, and see if my idea makes sense. (If i can't draw it so it makes sense, then it probably won't work, lol) I don't have a scanner at home anyway, so I couldn't put the idea up now even if I had a good drawing. I'm still not feeling sufficiently patient to teach myself a drawing program, I'll stick to napkins. :)

Must be nice to have a steady supply of FREE CORAL. I'm jealous man, especially since I don't have much money to play with right now. Lookin forward to the pics.

Well, we have been very good friends for a long time so I guess that helps. He also told me he is going to give me a bunch of ricordias when I am ready for them. The sps I got are not too happy and have lost 80% of their color. I will take pics but they wont look like much right now. Marte also gave me an acrylic window for top down shots in the tank! He made 2 and didn't mind parting with the second one.

I was too drunken to be inclined to draw, and now i'm too tired.

I'll sketch something at work tomorrow, and see if my idea makes sense. (If i can't draw it so it makes sense, then it probably won't work, lol) I don't have a scanner at home anyway, so I couldn't put the idea up now even if I had a good drawing. I'm still not feeling sufficiently patient to teach myself a drawing program, I'll stick to napkins. :)

I don't mind interpreting your napkin sketches into MS Paint. It actually helps me to understand it! lol

Alright, as promised I have pics of the newcomers, and some pics of the acans as well as my other corals. I was trying out the acrylic window Marte gave me to get some macro shots of the sps and top down shots of some other corals.

New sps placement

Left

IMG_0246.jpg

Right

IMG_0242.jpg

Side shot (sorry about quality)

SideShotLeft.jpg

New sps close ups

Acro6.jpg

Acro3.jpg

Acro4.jpg

Acro2.jpg

Acro5.jpg

Acro1.jpg

Other sps

MontiPaliwensis.jpg

PurpleMonticap.jpg

Acans

Acans2.jpg

Acans1.jpg

Anthelia (recovering nicely)

BlueAntheliaRecover.jpg

Brain (feeding mode)

BrainFeedingMode.jpg

Forgot to post this one of my recently split anemone. You can see the new one in the reflection of the tank. He tucked himself further down at the bottom of the standpipe. Luckily he is still easily accessible!

AnemoneSplit.jpg

Ok, I tried my hand at drawing with MS Paint. It's definitely clearer than a napkin drawing, at the cost of only ten times as much effort, lol.

Here it is:

plumbing1.jpg

It is the same basic idea as before, but only requires one hole. The bulkhead I drew on the side is for the closed loop. The valve at the top is opened up when you start it up, to allow somewhere fo the air to escape, then it would be closed to allow for silent and bubble-free running.

The lower valve is the same one as before, and would be used the same way.

I thought this was a better way, as the less holes you have to drill in glass, the better.

Does it make sense to you?

- Josh

Ok, I tried my hand at drawing with MS Paint. It's definitely clearer than a napkin drawing, at the cost of only ten times as much effort, lol.

Here it is:

It is the same basic idea as before, but only requires one hole. The bulkhead I drew on the side is for the closed loop. The valve at the top is opened up when you start it up, to allow somewhere fo the air to escape, then it would be closed to allow for silent and bubble-free running.

The lower valve is the same one as before, and would be used the same way.

I thought this was a better way, as the less holes you have to drill in glass, the better.

Does it make sense to you?

- Josh

Only issue I can see is if the drain gets plugged in the overflow box, and not down by the gate valve. It will still overflow the tank in that situation. Also this way is a little more complicated. I don't see the Aux drain doing well if it cannot get air. Also, sharing the same pipe at the bottom could stifle the flow of the Aux drain.

Yeah, if it clogs at the bulkhead, you are screwed, but the risk of that is no greater here than in any other internal overflow. Of course, you would be wise to put a screen or something in the bulkhead.

The reason I looped it up near the top then dropped it down, is so that if the valve should clog, the water will find it's way up and over. The overflow box would remain silent, but the sump might get noisier.

As I said, it was a wacky idea, but would allow you to use one hole and still have a silent system.

All in all, if noise/bubbles isn't a huge issue, a simple Durso would have the same effect, at least in terms of preventing the closed loop from sucking air. I have just been having fun imagining interesting ways to solve problems with plumbing. I have never been terribly elaborate with plumbing in the past, but I think I will probably get more experimental with it in my next setup.

Thanks for letting me brainstorm in your thread.

By the way, that brain coral (the one in your avatar) is amazing! I think I drooled on my keyboard a little.

- Josh

Yeah, if it clogs at the bulkhead, you are screwed, but the risk of that is no greater here than in any other internal overflow. Of course, you would be wise to put a screen or something in the bulkhead.

The reason I looped it up near the top then dropped it down, is so that if the valve should clog, the water will find it's way up and over. The overflow box would remain silent, but the sump might get noisier.

As I said, it was a wacky idea, but would allow you to use one hole and still have a silent system.

All in all, if noise/bubbles isn't a huge issue, a simple Durso would have the same effect, at least in terms of preventing the closed loop from sucking air. I have just been having fun imagining interesting ways to solve problems with plumbing. I have never been terribly elaborate with plumbing in the past, but I think I will probably get more experimental with it in my next setup.

Thanks for letting me brainstorm in your thread.

By the way, that brain coral (the one in your avatar) is amazing! I think I drooled on my keyboard a little.

- Josh

I don't mind the brainstorming, like I was saying before, I want this thread to be useful to others! I totally understand what you were shooting for, but it is a lot more PITA to do it that way, then it would be to drill one more hole.

Also, that brain is one of my most prized corals at this point. I love it to death! Those acros are so far from being their potential color it's not even funny. I can't wait to post pics when they gain them back! I know for fact that one is a breathtaking tricolor acro.

P.s. You did good with MS Paint!

i have a plan going for my potential 40 gal. i want a peninsula setup. would it be dangeroue to have my closed loop returns going through the bottom of the tank. mayby i could add a check valve or something.

nice coral btw.

i have a plan going for my potential 40 gal. i want a peninsula setup. would it be dangeroue to have my closed loop returns going through the bottom of the tank. mayby i could add a check valve or something.

nice coral btw.

Check valves can be noisy, but would work. The other option is to make sure the returns come up just under the surface of the water to insure that the siphon stops before too much water is drained from the tank.

*updates*

- Last night my heater failed on me, allowing my tank to drop from 80 to 73... Everything is fine, and I had the heater replaced under warranty today.

-While I was at the LFS where I got my heater, I came across a very nice Montipora sp. similar to my Palawensis, but blue in color. Will post pics soon as my camera battery is recharged.

-My stand is 90% completed! It is just getting the final coats of stain, and then will be assembled with the hardware (Hinges/Handles etc.). Pics will be coming shortly as my friend should be sending them to me tonight/tomorrow.

man, i cant wait for your tank to get setup..

i want to see your coral under your lights to se if i want that kind of light.

All in good time! ETA on the setup is late Feb.

Archived