Pod Your Reef

TJ_Burton Returns - last pics...

TJ_Burton

***Update***

A situation has come up:

The friend of mine that gave me the 20g Custom I used 4 years back, has contacted me this week with an interestsing request. He has very recently been married and had a child, this has taken up 99.9% of his time (rightfully so). His reef tank is suffering due to the lack of maintanence, and his Acans and other prized corals are beggining to deteriorate. He just so happens to have a duplicate tank to my last 20g (24Lx18Wx12T) that is already drilled for both drain and return, and has all the plumbing etc. He has asked me if I would like to take the tank, and his 250w DE HQI 20,000K MH Pendant and house his corals for him until he is able to set up a smaller tank (he currently has a 150g). In return, he said I can have his zoa colonies/he only wants frags back, he said I could also keep a frag of each Acan/Acro.

I am all for this! Pretty much get some nice corals/frags and a prop tank for babysitting! :P

Also worth mentioning:

- I have picked up my 4000HH return pump today.

- I have aquired two of the three 250 Electronic MH Ballasts/Moguls (also got two 20,000K XMs)

- I was searching through my basement for some electrical stuff I used to rig up my lighting on the 20g all that while ago, and came across 2 electronic ballast and 3 pairs of waterproof Icecap T12 endcaps capable of running 24" VHOs. I forgot I held on to this stuff! (Guess I am going to have one rock'n prop tank too!)

I will post some pics of the 20g when it gets here and gets set up. I should have some 'before' shots of the corals that need to recover, and by the time I set up my 40g, I should have some 'after' pics ready.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Plans for the stand:

The stand is already being built. I don't have any photos, but I do have a mockup that I did.

The stand has no cetral support beam in the front, allowing full access to the sump. The doors on the front look like 4, but are actuall 1 door (per side) with a piano hinge in the center. The canopy has a full length door that flips up. The stand is 48X18. The extra 6" on either side are fully enclosed to hide all plumbing. The tank will only be viewable from the front panel, I will be painting the 3 non-viewing panels black.

The stand will be constructed of 2x4's and pine paneling. Some small detailwork may occur, it also may not occur lol. I am still up in the air about the stain I would like to use. I am thinking a walnut or chocolate brown.

First pic is of the stand closed.

Second pic is doors open.

post-7376-1198193964_thumb.jpg

post-7376-1198193975_thumb.jpg

Just for those who may be interested in seeing what lighting I have planned.I have somewhat changed the actual lighting I will be using, although the principal is the same.Instead of 3 250w. I am going to use two 250w 20,000K and one 150w DE 10,000K. Why, you might ask yourself, would TJ change his mind? Well more or less 2 reasons, heat & convenience lol. To make a long story short, a 30" CL Retrofit 150w DE setup (no ballasts) fell into my arms, as in I did not pay for it. It is brand new, has the moonlighting in it, unfired 10,000K CL bulb (might change to Ushio) and 2 65w CL PC Actinics. I will not be using the PC's and will probably sell them with their endcaps (which I got with it). I will put the 2 95w VHO actinics in their place on the reflector. The extra space on either side of the 150w DE bulb is where the 250w 20,000Ks will sit. This pretty much makes my "DIY" very easy as far as lighting goes. I will attach some pics for those who would like to see.

Lighting Consists of:

Two - 250w 20,000K SE MH

One - 150w 10,000K DE MH

Two - 95w 420nm/460nm Actinic VHOs

Four - 1w Nocturnal Blue LED Moonlights.

Still pretty killer IMO. I think the 150w will be plenty enough on such a short tank. They, from what I understand, have output above a 175w SE halide anyhow.The pics attached are of my lighting components and the 2 new pumps.

More pics will follow as the stand progresses.

Opinions/Comments are always welcome!

post-7376-1198210404_thumb.jpg

post-7376-1198210424_thumb.jpg

post-7376-1198210469_thumb.jpg

post-7376-1198210484_thumb.jpg

post-7376-1198210582_thumb.jpg

post-7376-1198210740_thumb.jpg

stoney waters

That looks good, Although I must say it is the first time I have seen someone sandwich a smaller lamp with two larger ones.

Good choice swapping the PC's for VHO's. How has your lighting cycle changed?

That looks good, Although I must say it is the first time I have seen someone sandwich a smaller lamp with two larger ones.

Good choice swapping the PC's for VHO's. How has your lighting cycle changed?

The lighting cycle is going to stay the same. Just dulled down from a SE 250w, to a DE 150w 10,000K in the center.

My bulb "sandwich" (well put ;)) is basically because the goal is for the 250w 20,000K halides to be spaced as evenly as possible between each other over the DT as if they were the only bulbs lighting the tank. This way, the 10,000K is more or less just a spotlight of extra Kelvin/Spectrum/PAR for the SPS that will be centralized in the DT. I don't want the softies and LPS to have to deal with too much extra lighting, while I really want the SPS to get smothered in it!

Just for those who may be interested in seeing what lighting I have planned.I have somewhat changed the actual lighting I will be using, although the principal is the same.Instead of 3 250w. I am going to use two 250w 20,000K and one 150w DE 10,000K. Why, you might ask yourself, would TJ change his mind? Well more or less 2 reasons, heat & convenience lol. To make a long story short, a 30" CL Retrofit 150w DE setup (no ballasts) fell into my arms, as in I did not pay for it. It is brand new, has the moonlighting in it, unfired 10,000K CL bulb (might change to Ushio) and 2 65w CL PC Actinics. I will not be using the PC's and will probably sell them with their endcaps (which I got with it). I will put the 2 95w VHO actinics in their place on the reflector. The extra space on either side of the 150w DE bulb is where the 250w 20,000Ks will sit. This pretty much makes my "DIY" very easy as far as lighting goes. I will attach some pics for those who would like to see.

Lighting Consists of:

Two - 250w 20,000K SE MH

One - 150w 10,000K DE MH

Two - 95w 420nm/460nm Actinic VHOs

Four - 1w Nocturnal Blue LED Moonlights.

Still pretty killer IMO. I think the 150w will be plenty enough on such a short t ank. They, from what I understand, have output above a 175w SE halide anyhow.The pics attached are of my lighting components and the 2 new pumps.

More pics will follow as the stand progresses.

Opinions/Comments are always welcome!

YEEEEHAAAAAWWW! Believe the hype, people. That is one super-high intensity sun gun. 600 total watts over a 40 breeder!@#! You're gonna need shades if you want to look at it for an extended period of time, but the colors will definitely pop and the corals will want even more. I'm sold on the there-can-never-be-too-much light theory. Since I added a second halide to my system, I've seen with my very own eyes how multiple spectrums can enchance the corals' growth and my own viewing pleasure. It's only been 3 days and I already want actinic supplements too. I want what you got, TJ. But for now, I'll just take notes. hehe.

BTW: Who is building your stand?

YEEEEHAAAAAWWW! Believe the hype, people. That is one super-high intensity sun gun. 600 total watts over a 40 breeder!@#! You're gonna need shades if you want to look at it for an extended period of time, but the colors will definitely pop and the corals will want even more. I'm sold on the there-can-never-be-too-much light theory. Since I added a second halide to my system, I've seen with my very own eyes how multiple spectrums can enchance the corals' growth and my own viewing pleasure. It's only been 3 days and I already want actinic supplements too. I want what you got, TJ. But for now, I'll just take notes. hehe.

BTW: Who is building your stand?

LoL It is actually 844 watts if you count the 4 1w LED moonlights!

My stand is being built by another good friend of mine, he is a young gun, 18yrs old. He is one hell of a brainer though, like - genius child type deal. He keeps reefs too. Great guy for DIY. He actually makes my coral mounts for me.

P.s. is 21.1 watts per gallon considered overkill? (rofl - watts per gallon rating = JUNK)

I have ended up with some black percs and a very shy filamented fairy wrasse. Also got some new zoas/palys but my camera blows so I am not going to post the pics of the corals till I get some better shots. My current cam makes them look disgusting.

post-7376-1198388246_thumb.jpg

I have ended up with some black percs and a very shy filamented fairy wrasse. Also got some new zoas/palys but my camera blows so I am not going to post the pics of the corals till I get some better shots. My current cam makes them look disgusting.

In the meantime, where are you keeping these guys again? In the tank your buddy gave you, right?

In the meantime, where are you keeping these guys again? In the tank your buddy gave you, right?

Marte hasn't had time to take down the 20S tank yet, so I am keeping everything in a standard 20H. Tank is running off a Hydor Canister filter filled with calcium based substrat, RedSea Prizm Deluxe, and has a 175w SE 20,000K MH with 2 NO T-5 Actinics. It has about 20lbs LR and a 2.5" to 3" sandbed of BOMIX.

It is doing the job for now. I am watching what I put in it though, I could have gotten a few nice sized acros for 30$ a pop but resisted just because I know this tank isn't optimal for them.

Just picked up two 6" 7-blade heavy duty fans for the canopy today. Now I just need to find a 24VDC transformer for them lol. Also picked up the Ebony stain for the stand.

Sweet plan bro!! cant wait to see my icecap 150 ballast put to good use!

i just bought a new tank also!

its 65 gallons, 48"x 18" x 18" with a corner overflow in the left corner. drilled at 1-1/2 inch bulkhead.

also got another icecap 660 to run on this tank.. im just debating on wether or not 4-48" VHO's is enough light for my acro's...hmm.. might have to throw my 400 under the hood... yikes.

ballast will be out to you first thing monday..

get this effer built!!

Sweet plan bro!! cant wait to see my icecap 150 ballast put to good use!

i just bought a new tank also!

its 65 gallons, 48"x 18" x 18" with a corner overflow in the left corner. drilled at 1-1/2 inch bulkhead.

also got another icecap 660 to run on this tank.. im just debating on wether or not 4-48" VHO's is enough light for my acro's...hmm.. might have to throw my 400 under the hood... yikes.

ballast will be out to you first thing monday..

get this effer built!!

Awesome! Can't wait to recieve it!

As for your lighting - GO ALL OUT! VHOs+400MH BOOYAH!

Well everyone is posting pics... and I know my 40g isn't up and running yet, but the 20 that is holding my livestock is sort of interesting! lol.

I had to revert back to using my Zecaview cam as my digital camera is out of order... sadly. But alas, it gives me a reason to go by an DSLR.

ON WITH THE PICS.

First an acro I picked up as it wasn't looking to swell at the store. It didn't cost me much but promises to be something stunning provided I can nurse it back to health. It had a zoa eating crab living in the middle of it. It was about 1" across. Nasty bugger had pulled all sorts of macro and zoas in between the branches of the colony killing off most of the corals underbelly.

Here is a pic to show its size (about the size of a softball).

NEWNANO200722.jpg

And a shot from above to try and show color (my cam sucks for this, but the green plate behind it is actually a pretty nice tealish green color, so take that into account)

NEWNANO200745.jpg

Now my 2 largest zoa colonies.

Wammen Watermelons

NEWNANO200718.jpg

Pink Zoas

NEWNANO200714.jpg

NEWNANO200752.jpg

I am not going to bother trying to name the rest so, here are some Paly/Zoas

NEWNANO200728.jpg

NEWNANO200734.jpg

NEWNANO200724.jpg

NEWNANO200726.jpg

NEWNANO200723.jpg

NEWNANO200748.jpg

And these next ones I removed off of the back of an Urchin. They weren't too happy and are slowly getting there color back. My guess is bright green rim, bluish purple center with white striping.

NEWNANO200710.jpg

and the ones on the frag rack that are too small in most cases to take pics of. but I tried.

NEWNANO200732.jpg

NEWNANO200730.jpg

NEWNANO200736.jpg

Stupid cam, had to focus 2 times and have 2 pics for you to be able to see...

I WANT A NEW CAM... and my 40g to be ready already!

Here is a pic to show its size (about the size of a softball).

NEWNANO200722.jpg

It does look like the inner core of the colony is dead and colorless, but the outer part still holds great color. From your experience, will the good stuff encrust over the dead stuff and bring life back the whole thing? or will color only grow *outward* from the healthy parts?

It does look like the inner core of the colony is dead and colorless, but the outer part still holds great color. From your experience, will the good stuff encrust over the dead stuff and bring life back the whole thing? or will color only grow *outward* from the healthy parts?

From my experience, the coral will grow back over itself, but it will become more of an encrusted thick base. It basically doubles back over the dead branches but becomes thicker, so where there was alot of space before, there is less space now creating a thicker branch or just a base full of holes (do to gaps being formed where the dead branches were to far apart for the base to fuse together in certain areas).

I don't know a better way to explain it so sorry for the mish mash.

From my experience, the coral will grow back over itself, but it will become more of an encrusted thick base. It basically doubles back over the dead branches but becomes thicker, so where there was alot of space before, there is less space now creating a thicker branch or just a base full of holes (do to gaps being formed where the dead branches were to far apart for the base to fuse together in certain areas).

I don't know a better way to explain it so sorry for the mish mash.

Well said. I see. Now hopefully that happens to my milli.

Ok, so here is the scoop.

Last night I went to my friend's house (the one building the stand for me etc.) and took a look at the progress. A+++!!! This stand is going to be very decent! Also began to drill the main tank. Drilled the holes for the drain and closed loop. I am still figuring out the returns. Also took over the Ebony stain for the stand.

As far as Marte's corals go, I am stopping by his house tonight to pick up his Acans which have been neglected and are starting to receed. I will post pics when I can. Marte hasn't had the time to remove his prop tank as it is hard plumbed to the main system, so while I was at my buddy's house last night, I had a 20L drilled with a 1.5" drain and a 3/4" return. I will be transfering my 20H into that tank tonight. The only pump I have available atm is 1000gph or so, so hopefully that won't turn the tank into a whirlpool.

Will also be borrowing Marte's 250w DE 20K halide to help light the 20L.

Pics will follow later tonight I am sure.

Pics of the stand/tank progress will come as soon as it is all done and my buddy sends me the pics.

Ok, so here is the scoop.

Last night I went to my friend's house (the one building the stand for me etc.) and took a look at the progress. A+++!!! This stand is going to be very decent! Also began to drill the main tank. Drilled the wholes for the drain and closed loop. I am still figuring out the returns. Also took over the Ebony stain for the stand.

As far as Marte's corals go, I am stopping by his house tonight to pick up his Acans which have been neglected and are starting to receed. I will post pics when I can. Marte hasn't had the time to remove his prop tank as it is hard plumbed to the main system, so while I was at my buddy's house last night, I had a 20L drilled with a 1.5" drain and a 3/4" return. I will be transfering my 20H into that tank tonight. The only pump I have available atm is 1000gph or so, so hopefully that won't turn the tank into a whirlpool.

Will also be borrowing Marte's 250w DE 20K halide to help light the 20L.

Pics will follow later tonight I am sure.

Pics of the stand/tank progress will come as soon as it is all done and my buddy sends me the pics.

I'll be waitin.

stoney waters

Seems like everything is coming along nicely.

Which return configuration did you decide to go with? The one on top of page 2?

Seems like everything is coming along nicely.

Which return configuration did you decide to go with? The one on top of page 2?

See, thats more the route I will be going. Just trying to make final decisions of exact placement of the return holes. two will be on the side panels for sure, and two will be on the back wall. The question that remains is where... How high/low? How far forward/backward left, right etc. The holes I did drill for the drain and closed loop intake are exactly as shown in the picture.

stoney waters

Yeah, thats the plan I would choose for the CL. The reason I asked is because in your first plan you had one of the returns crossing through the overflow box. This would prevent you from raising the standpipe as far as possible. From personal experience it is very important to have as small a spillover as possible. This will reduce micro-bubbles caused by the turbulence and prevent them from being sucked into the intake. My spillover is just enough to make good surface skimming. Less than an inch drop. It also keeps noise to a minimum.

Disregard if I already told you this in PM :P

Yeah, thats the plan I would choose for the CL. The reason I asked is because in your first plan you had one of the returns crossing through the overflow box. This would prevent you from raising the standpipe as far as possible. From personal experience it is very important to have as small a spillover as possible. This will reduce micro-bubbles caused by the turbulence and prevent them from being sucked into the intake. My spillover is just enough to make good surface skimming. Less than an inch drop. It also keeps noise to a minimum.

Disregard if I already told you this in PM :P

I think this is the first time you mentioned that... :huh:

I think you are right about that, which is why I definetly will not cross one through the overflow box. I appreciate these kind of comments! Half the time I haven't even considered stuff like this.

Well the 20L is up and running... Really Mickey Mouse'd this setup as I was in a rush to finish. I will have to tweak the setup tomorrow. Also, lights turned off before I had a chance to take pics so those will come tomorrow as well. I got about 6-8 acans from my buddy to take care of for a good long while. Also am currently using my 175w SE 20,000K mh on one side of the 30" tank, and his 250w DE 20,000K on the other. Looks kind of bright ;)

Will post some pics tomorrow after I am done farting around with the setup. I need to split the return 2 if not 3 ways, as the single lock line return is sort of too much :P

Archived