Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

fewskillz' 180 gallon adventure!

fewskillz

Blubbernaut

Got tired of the heat issues from 750 watts of metal halide, so we're going to try 270 watts of T5 for awhile. I also suspect that the older MH lamps were contributing to the Cyano, which has receded quite a bit lately.

IMG_20130603_221028_zps6c3d6093.jpg

IMG_20130603_221018_zps197eba7d.jpg

You can't have T5s and not post an actinic shot!

IMG_20130603_224109_zpsb3e9e625.jpg

I used to have MH as well, and TBH, they were cooler than my current LED's. Strange, but true. Love the actinic shot, everything's shimmering in the blue!

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The halides were warming the tank from 79.9 to 83+ every evening. Tonight with the T5s: 80.3! I'll take it. That could've just been the ambient increase too, the fish room is the warmest room in the house. It faces west and is farthest from the AC unit.

Tonight I moved yellow tang #3 from QT to display. He hasn't been picked on much at all, nothing like #2 was. Added a pair of firefish and a cool green and red Lobo to QT. Also added a melanarus wrasse into the aggressive tank QT with the baby lion. It was an expensive LFS trip.

Blubbernaut

The halides were warming the tank from 79.9 to 83+ every evening. Tonight with the T5s: 80.3! I'll take it. That could've just been the ambient increase too, the fish room is the warmest room in the house. It faces west and is farthest from the AC unit.

Tonight I moved yellow tang #3 from QT to display. He hasn't been picked on much at all, nothing like #2 was. Added a pair of firefish and a cool green and red Lobo to QT. Also added a melanarus wrasse into the aggressive tank QT with the baby lion. It was an expensive LFS trip.

I could imagine :bling: My maximum for any single fish is like $40..... For now....

A good chunk of it was store credit from where I sold him my shallow 80. Haven't seen the melanarus, but Elizabeth says she saw him earlier. Everything else is doing well.

• 2 weeks later...

Tank is doing well with the new light. The coral seems to like the T5 and the heat problem is gone. Tank stays between 79.9 and 80.5 now. I did a 75 gallon water change on Tuesday and will be adding a few new corals to the tank this weekend. I might add the melanarus and the pair of firefish, too.

Our tanks all go through periods of highs and lows, right now is definitely one of the highs. I'm loving it!

Yep.. i was just thinkin the same thing.. though I'm ready for my highs and lows to be more spread out.. just about the time when I can't be happier somethin happens.. leaks, pests.. all part of the deal though I s'pose.

Added a Powder Blue and a Kole to QT today. The tank is going to look a whole lot awesome-er in a few weeks. I can't wait.

The powder blue was NOT happy in the 29 QT, so I moved him over to the 180. He was at the LFS for about a month and in QT for a week. He looked as healthy as a pissed off PBT can look, so I took a chance. The Kole and the melanarus both seemed very healthy, so I figured they were OK too.

I also moved my orange plate coral, a candy cane, and a baby maxima clam over from the 10 gallon.

Really loving this tank right now!

PBT didn't make it. I never had high hopes for him. The tank needs a centerpiece fish, I'm thinking blond naso.

Kole is doing well. I added a Cherub to QT and a Long Tentacle Anemone to the display. Hopefully my clowns find it soon. The female is starting to host the Lobo, and it doesn't like its house guest at all!

On the water quality front: Reef Crystals rocks. I've used it for the last couple water changes, but today was the first time I've tested it. 1230 Mag, 10.5 Alk, 420 Calcium. I used my BRS 2-part to dose the WC water up to 1300. I'm going to test and dose the tank in a little while. Once it's up to where it needs to be I'm going to start some Kalkwasser in the ATO.

My real job hasn't had any work for me for almost a month now, so last week I started part-time at my LFS. I'm really enjoying it, I just wish it paid better. The employee discount is going to bankrupt us!

Sorry about the PBT. :(

Ha, I considered applying for a job at an LFS but I knew the people would drive me nutso.

The people at the LFS actually haven't been too bad yet. I'm sure its coming though.

In more crappy fish news, I haven't seen the Cherub all day in the QT. He was doing fine and eating, perfectly healthy fish. He was at the store since late March. Maybe he'll turn up tomorrow. :(

• 3 weeks later...

You should try a Powder Brown Tang (Acanthurus japonicus, not the nigricans)

If you get a good one, they have awesome personalities and are just as active as the blues. And slightly less aggressive IMO.

So the 3 yellows get along fine?

I've got a Sailfin and Orange Shoulder in my 180... would love to add ONE MORE tang... but I just know it would come back and bite me in the arse! :lol:

Never loved Powder Browns. I don't know why. I want one more big fish, but I haven't decided what.

The 3 yellows do okay, they're all different sizes so the hierarchy is pretty clear. I've had the big one since 2008, he can be seen in pictures back at the beginning of this thread.

I could NOT have only 2 tangs in a 180. You have some serious self control that I lack.

Tomorrow I have a rose bubble tip anemone and 5 lyretail anthias (1 m, 4 f) coming to the store with my name on them. This employee discount is a dangerous thing, but the tank is going to look killer.

Never loved Powder Browns. I don't know why. I want one more big fish, but I haven't decided what.

The 3 yellows do okay, they're all different sizes so the hierarchy is pretty clear. I've had the big one since 2008, he can be seen in pictures back at the beginning of this thread.

I could NOT have only 2 tangs in a 180. You have some serious self control that I lack.

Tomorrow I have a rose bubble tip anemone and 5 lyretail anthias (1 m, 4 f) coming to the store with my name on them. This employee discount is a dangerous thing, but the tank is going to look killer.

Honestly if it was my personal 180G tank, I'd likely have more, but seeing as I gave quite a few of the fish choices to co-workers it got spread out.

That being said.. not long after my post above I went to the LFS to pick up a Wrasse I paid for on Friday. I had to leave him there for a few days until the shop owner knew it was eating, etc. Got the wrasse bagged and my eye caught a 3-4" Powder Brown Tang. Looked really healthy, very responsive, no white ich spots at all, and $38... "I'LL TAKE HIM!" :lol:

Oh this hobby! I don't really know which tank I want to put him in. My sailfin and orange shoulder will likely harass the crap out of him in the 180G (as they already flare up at each other as it is but they would all be fairly similar in size). On the other hand I could bring him home for my 62G but the tang police will be all over me if I stick him in my 62G. haha. I had one in a 75G before and he was quite happy and never showed signs of stress.. For now he's in my 20H QT tank.

I don't mind Naso's but I do find they are over done.. If you're looking for a "Centerpiece" Tang, perhaps an Achilles? or Soahl?

Powder Brown's must be cheap everywhere this week. Ours are priced at $40. That's cheap enough to make me consider it. I've also been considering a Lieutenant we've got at the store, but I'd rather have a Naso or an Orange Shoulder.

Lost a female anthia, but that's why I got 4. The others are looking OK so far. My black clowns, after ignoring a monster Long Tentacle anemone for 3 weeks, started hosting the tiny RBTA the very first morning. Go figure. I should've bought the big RBTA we had in the store last week.

Got Euphyllia?

IMG_20130725_224655_zpsd366520e.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

IMG_20130812_202611_zpsec3b6356.jpg

IMG_20130812_202752_zps5d0c6339.jpg

I think that qualifies as a "centerpiece"...

Nice! However, a catshark would have been more unique ;) He/she looks nice and chubby!

Ha! I don't care about unique, I don't have anything uncommon. I do care about healthy and pretty livestock. This naso is both, and other than a powder blue tang, the fish I wanted most.

I'm really happy with him. He already ate tonight. So did the new starry blenny. Just a few more additions and the fish list is complete.

skillz, what is your stocking list so far? I know you posted it but I can't seem to find it.

That blonde looks nice and healthy and chubby.

Ha! I don't care about unique, I don't have anything uncommon. I do care about healthy and pretty livestock. This naso is both, and other than a powder blue tang, the fish I wanted most.

I'm really happy with him. He already ate tonight. So did the new starry blenny. Just a few more additions and the fish list is complete.

A starry blenny? Those guys get FAAAAAT!!!

skillz, what is your stocking list so far? I know you posted it but I can't seem to find it.

That blonde looks nice and healthy and chubby.

Stocking list is in the first post of this thread. I'm up to 21 fish with a few more final selections in the works.

Thanks, he is nice and chubby. He loves nori!

A starry blenny? Those guys get FAAAAAT!!!

Yeah, he's already a little tubbo. I really like him.

Man, photobucket murders my phone picture quality. I'll try to get out the real camera next week. This is the view from the couch:

IMG_20130815_225821_zps50740872.jpg

Archived