ReefCleaners.org

fewskillz' 180 gallon adventure!

fewskillz

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of them were old, but not 23 of 26 that died within a couple days of each other. It was a disease or something external that poisoned them. There are 3 Demasoni cichlids still alive.

It's a 75 gallon with two 350 gph HOB filters, so oxygen levels should be fine. It's been running for over a year. It was either a disease brought in by the couple of fish I added 3 weeks ago or something from inside the house. I'll never know. I'm over it at this point anyways, you become pretty numb after tossing 23 fish corpses into trash bags. I'm ready to setup my 93 cube.

Blubbernaut

It's a 75 gallon with two 350 gph HOB filters, so oxygen levels should be fine. It's been running for over a year. It was either a disease brought in by the couple of fish I added 3 weeks ago or something from inside the house. I'll never know. I'm over it at this point anyways, you become pretty numb after tossing 23 fish corpses into trash bags. I'm ready to setup my 93 cube.

Yeah....That's one way to put it..... Once again, sorry for the loss :tears:

Sitting on the couch last night, which is low enough to not see the cyano on the sandbed, after all this time and I still look at this tank in amazement of how pretty it is. I'm going to miss the halides.

Mine are 1 year old MH's, but yeah, same here. My old RO filters probably weren't helping, but I don't think they were the root cause. If the weather is good this weekend I'm going to do a couple 60 gallon WC's with the NSW I used to use.

Blubbernaut

Mine are 1 year old MH's, but yeah, same here. My old RO filters probably weren't helping, but I don't think they were the root cause. If the weather is good this weekend I'm going to do a couple 60 gallon WC's with the NSW I used to use.

:blink: Thank god I only have a 28g.....

I always :haha: at people that say "bigger tanks are less work". Bigger tanks are more stable, less work per gallon...maybe, but certainly not less work. I'm TOPPING OFF 15 gallons of water a week and have two 30 gallon Brute's for doing water changes. How in the world is that less work? omgomgomg

Cyano seems to really hate heat, so I took advantage of the tank creeping up to 85 yesterday and siphoned off most of the slime. It starts to bubble and break down and lift off the sand at that temp. I've got a phosphate sponge coming this week and I just bought a reactor that I'm going to stick some GFO in, so hopefully I can stay ahead of it this go-round. fingerscrossed

I always :haha: at people that say "bigger tanks are less work". Bigger tanks are more stable, less work per gallon...maybe, but certainly not less work. I'm TOPPING OFF 15 gallons of water a week and have two 30 gallon Brute's for doing water changes. How in the world is that less work? omgomgomg

You're speaking the truth. Not less work, not less money, and certainly not less headache. It'd be nice to be able to solve issues with just a couple of 5 gallon buckets and a little saltwater.

However, the rewards can be worth it. Keep up the good fight.

Blubbernaut

You're speaking the truth. Not less work, not less money, and certainly not less headache. It'd be nice to be able to solve issues with just a couple of 5 gallon buckets and a little saltwater.

Oh, the advantages of a 28g B)

Oh, the advantages of a 28g B)

How many tangs do you have in that 28? I have 4 in my 180...along with 16 other fish. :D

I do love my 10 gallon though. I do water changes using a 3/8" hose, a 16 ounce cup, and 1 gallon pitcher. The 180 I'm using 1" hose, a Eheim 1250 return pump, and two 32 gallon Brutes!

Ordered a bunch of new toys this week, they'll be here today and Monday. I got a Tunze 6045 to try out in this tank and BRS bulk dosing supplies. I'm going to try kalkwasser for the first time, too. Most of this new stuff will transfer over to the 93 cube whenever I get to set it up. Probably won't be until we move again. Until then the lion will chill in QT so he doesn't eat my shrimp and smaller fish.

Hopefully the moving thing will be sooner rather than later.

Blubbernaut

How many tangs do you have in that 28? I have 4 in my 180...along with 16 other fish. :D

I do love my 10 gallon though. I do water changes using a 3/8" hose, a 16 ounce cup, and 1 gallon pitcher. The 180 I'm using 1" hose, a Eheim 1250 return pump, and two 32 gallon Brutes!

Ordered a bunch of new toys this week, they'll be here today and Monday. I got a Tunze 6045 to try out in this tank and BRS bulk dosing supplies. I'm going to try kalkwasser for the first time, too. Most of this new stuff will transfer over to the 93 cube whenever I get to set it up. Probably won't be until we move again. Until then the lion will chill in QT so he doesn't eat my shrimp and smaller fish.

Hopefully the moving thing will be sooner rather than later.

I have approximately 0 tangs. But I don't really want a tang at this point in time. My 28g is the perfect sized tank for me.

Blubbernaut

Nothing wrong with a 28 gallon, I was just giving you a hard time.

Lol, I know. I meant that at this point in time, I not only wouldn't be able to take care of a 180, I couldn't afford it :(

There was a long time there where I couldn't afford the 180. If it weren't for the free, filtered Natural Sea Water the tank would've suffered big time. I probably would've never bought it if it weren't for that NSW. I would've still been rocking my old 54 corner or 40b. My old 125 ran for 2 years with mis-matched lights on it because I couldn't afford a 6' fixture.

Buying used is the only way I could ever afford this hobby in the first place. My new 10 gallon is the first tank I've ever bought all new equipment for, and that's why the 93 cube is taking me so long to build. I'm trying to go with exactly what equipment I want for it also. You forget how expensive that really is when you've been buying nothing but used for 7 years.

That's why I can't bring myself to sell this 180, it would take me years of saving to be able to replicate it buying new. I got the $1000 tank for 350, the $1000 lights for 375, the $180 return pump for 75, my powerheads are cheap modded maxijets, the cabinet was $50, I built the canopy for $50. My rocks all came from my first setup, a 46 bowfront, that I bought used as a complete package in 2006. I've added some $2/pound dry rock in once. My skimmer was some huge Christmas sale, same for my RO/DI unit. My sump was $10, my ATO reservoir was bought at Petco's $/gallon. This really is a hodge-podge of a setup cobbled together over many years for as cheaply as possible. I guess that's what makes it mine. :wub:

Blubbernaut

That's why I can't bring myself to sell this 180, it would take me years of saving to be able to replicate it buying new. I got the $1000 tank for 350, the $1000 lights for 375, the $180 return pump for 75, my powerheads are cheap modded maxijets, the cabinet was $50, I built the canopy for $50. My rocks all came from my first setup, a 46 bowfront, that I bought used as a complete package in 2006. I've added some $2/pound dry rock in once. My skimmer was some huge Christmas sale, same for my RO/DI unit. My sump was $10, my ATO reservoir was bought at Petco's $/gallon. This really is a hodge-podge of a setup cobbled together over many years for as cheaply as possible. I guess that's what makes it mine. :wub:

Psshh... I bought my 28g used as well...And my wallet still hurts <_< But it's well worth it! Now I get free therapy ;)

wow.. quite a haul of stuff.. can't quite make it all out though. I've been toying with the idea of dosing kalk.. just not sure how I want to go about it.

Basic dosing kit to get the levels right, Kalk to keep them there, carbon, gfo, a couple of fresh filter socks, and some 1/4" mesh to make new screen tops since I was placing an order and no one else seems to carry the 1/4" stuff. Then a 6045 to try out a Tunze pump without spending big bucks on one of the big ones, and a nano osmolator for my 10 gallon, which will also be getting Kalk.

• 1 month later...

Got tired of the heat issues from 750 watts of metal halide, so we're going to try 270 watts of T5 for awhile. I also suspect that the older MH lamps were contributing to the Cyano, which has receded quite a bit lately.

http://s57.photobucket.com/user/fewskillz/media/180%20gallon/IMG_20130603_221028_zps6c3d6093.jpg.html'>IMG_20130603_221028_zps6c3d6093.jpg

http://s57.photobucket.com/user/fewskillz/media/180%20gallon/IMG_20130603_221018_zps197eba7d.jpg.html'>IMG_20130603_221018_zps197eba7d.jpg

You can't have T5s and not post an actinic shot!

http://s57.photobucket.com/user/fewskillz/media/180%20gallon/IMG_20130603_224109_zpsb3e9e625.jpg.html'>IMG_20130603_224109_zpsb3e9e625.jpg

Archived