inTank Media Baskets

fewskillz' 180 gallon adventure!

fewskillz

Lemonpeel would be my choice.. I'm almost positive I will be adding one to my 180. I see a lot of Flames in everyones tank (for good reason, nice fish). Don't see many Lemonpeels. The contrast of the blue rings around their eyes with the yellow, very sharp IMO!.

Tank looks good skillz. Is that Monti Cap blue?? B)

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tank looks good skillz. Is that Monti Cap blue?? B)

Thanks. The monti cap is a very pale purple. It's supposed to be Idaho Grape, but he said it never colored up for him even though it was growing well. We'll see what it looks like after awhile under my 14,000k's.

I will probably let the individual fish determine which one I get, which one looks healthiest, is eating best, etc. I've never had a flame, so that carries a little weight.

The lemonpeel was gone and the bicolor didn't look perfect. Plus he offered me Friday's 15% off tonight.

IMG_20121121_193005-1.jpg

So I couldn't pass him up for a 2nd week in a row.

• 1 month later...

Ordered new filters for the RO unit. I'm having a cyano problem and the blame is currently falling on my RO water. I'm not registering any TDS or Phosphates, but SOMETHING is feeding this cyano. I don't necessarily trust my Phosphate test, either. I haven't ever replaced them, so it's time either way.

The flame angel and royal gramma will get moved from QT to the display as soon as I can get a break from work. We've been working overtime for 6 weeks now trying to hit a January 7th deadline. We haven't really gotten to enjoy the holidays and my tanks are suffering, I'm definitely ready for some down time.

Once the QT is open I'll be shopping for it's next inhabitant. I'd really like some anthias again, but we'll see...

Happy New Year everybody.

I replaced my filters last week and have noticed a reduction already in all algae in my tank. I can already tell with about 30 gallons through my new filters the DI is about 10% used up.

• 1 month later...

I've decided to downsize the good ole 180. Life is getting pretty crazy and it's getting more difficult to keep up with the big tank.

I'm going to pick up this Deep Blue shallow 80 gallon (48x24x16) on Saturday morning:

IMG956857.jpg

I love this tank, and it's had a good run, but I've been contemplating doing this for too long now to not give it a shot. I'm not selling the tank just yet. In fact, I'll probably move my cichlids over, but this is my experiment to see if I'm happy without a 6 foot saltwater tank at home. I've had a 72" tank since summer of 2008. In fact, my yellow tang that I've had for the same amount of time is the reason I'm going with a tank as big as the 80 and not the 40 breeder I bought earlier this month. I can't get rid of that fish. I'll probably move all livestock over at first, just to make sure I'm not moving back to the 180, and then sell the Hippo and Desjardini once I'm sure. They're all small enough to be fine in a 4 foot tank for a little while.

Thanks everybody for accompanying me on the journey of my 180, it's been a fun and educational ride.

• 3 weeks later...

We decided not to rush the move to the shallow 80. We are going on vacation next week so we don't want to leave a new setup unattended. We're also in the beginning stages of house shopping so we'll probably wait to see what happens with that before making the change.

Speaking of changes! IMG_20130126_141349.jpg

Added 6' of LEDs to the canopy. Its not bright enough to be actinic supplementation to the 750 watts of 15,000k, but its perfect before and after the halides lighting. $30 at Costco, fully dimmable and color customizable:

IMG_20130126_141412.jpg

My Yuma that Lalani gave me over 2 years ago is FINALLY spitting off some babies! IMG_20130217_214158_zps67b40eac.jpgIMG_20130217_214210_zpsfb493f77.jpg

Also, I put 8 adult blue/green chromis in quarantine. Chromis are cool fish, and even cooler when they get big. Liveaquaria charges like $17 for adult chromis, but my LFS still had these guys for the standard $5. They will add some much needed activity to the display when I move them over.

IMG_20130218_212329_zps68d8053d.jpg That's a standard 29 gallon for size reference.

Moved the chromis from the QT to the display. They look awesome!

IMG_20130224_221548_zps7b14f1ad.jpg

IMG_20130224_221522_zps0b02f7dc.jpg

Video!

Soooooo I might not be using that awesome new shallow 80 gallon afterall. Something that I couldn't pass on popped up for sale this past weekend.

IMG_20130225_213817_zpsbc980e03.jpg

So I am the proud owner of a brand new 93 cube. Never had water in it. Guy bought it a few months ago and decided to go a different direction and sold it at a 40% discount. 30x30x24, I'm stoked. Going to hold off on doing anything with it until we buy a house, but I couldn't NOT have this tank packed away as an option in case there's not room for the 180 in whatever house we buy. My ever patient, awesome wife has had enough though, and says this is the last tank until I get rid of some. This is #20! omgomgomg

Moved the chromis from the QT to the display. They look awesome!

IMG_20130224_221548_zps7b14f1ad.jpg

IMG_20130224_221522_zps0b02f7dc.jpg

Video!

Soooooo I might not be using that awesome new shallow 80 gallon afterall. Something that I couldn't pass on popped up for sale this past weekend.

IMG_20130225_213817_zpsbc980e03.jpg

So I am the proud owner of a brand new 93 cube. Never had water in it. Guy bought it a few months ago and decided to go a different direction and sold it at a 40% discount. 30x30x24, I'm stoked. Going to hold off on doing anything with it until we buy a house, but I couldn't NOT have this tank packed away as an option in case there's not room for the 180 in whatever house we buy. My ever patient, awesome wife has had enough though, and says this is the last tank until I get rid of some. This is #20! omgomgomg

Hmm, I think you could get a few more ;)

Honestly, I'm very happy with what I have. I've been fortunate enough to be able to buy pretty much every tank I want. If we wind up with some big walls I would love to upgrade the cichlids from the 75 to a 125 and add in a few more species. Elizabeth is okay with that if I sell other tanks to pay for it and we truly have the room. If not, I'm happy with the 75.

Of course, that is until I upgrade to a 300+!

Here's the current list of tanks, parenthesis are the ones in use:

3g picotope

10 (planted freshwater)

10 (new 10 gallon nano)

15 long

20 high (180 ATO reservoir)

20 long

20 long

29 (QT)

29, baffled for a sump

30 long

30 long (180 sump)

37 tall

40 breeder

55 (peacock cichlids, fish are for sale, will hopefully be broken down soon)

75 (mbuna cichlids)

80 shallow, 48x24x16

93 cube, 30x30x24

180 (reef)

20 total. That MIGHT be enough.

• 3 weeks later...

I really don't want to sell it, so I priced it a little high, and I'm going to be pretty firm about it. I will probably sell off the lights and a lot of the fish. Those are much easier to replace should I change my mind.

I'm really thinking I'm going to try my cichlids in the 180 once I get it empty and cleaned up.

• 2 weeks later...

Why did you even consider downsizing? Its not like you can have too many tanks.

Well, most of us can have too many tanks, but not you. :P

I'm still downsizing the reef. The 180 will be aggressive fish. When even I think it's too many tanks, it's too many tanks. The cichlids will probably get the axe. So I'll have small, medium, and large saltwater tanks.

The lion is only 3" long. He's been eating frozen mysis for a few weeks now. He's awesome.

The cichlids will probably get the axe.

Self fulfilling prophecy...the cichlid tank crashed. Friday I had 26 fish in there, as of this morning 3 are still alive. I suspect they will be goners by the time I get home tonight.

Blubbernaut

Self fulfilling prophecy...the cichlid tank crashed. Friday I had 26 fish in there, as of this morning 3 are still alive. I suspect they will be goners by the time I get home tonight.

What happened?

Archived