Coral Vue Hydros

fewskillz' 180 gallon adventure!

fewskillz

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

The tank seems to be settling in nicely. I had a little algae bloom that I think was fueled by accidentally leaving the timers forced "On" overnight a couple weeks ago. I'll be adding more sand and moving some corals in tonight or tomorrow night. I can't wait to see how things grow under the halides.

I'll probably be making a fish order after Christmas, I'm still trying to decide what all I want to add. I got a diamond goby last weekend. I'm thinking another tang (or 3), a dwarf angel (or 2), a wrasse or two, maybe a blenny, and a group of anthias. Something like a basslet or gramma is a possibility, as well as a mandarin.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

IMG_20120121_220052.jpg

Added 8 new fish today. Current stocklist is:

Blonde Naso Tang

Powder Blue Tang

Yellow Tang

Sailfin Tang

Blue Hippo Tang

Yellow-eyed Kole Tang

Cherub Angel

Ocellaris Clown pair

Blue/green reef chromis

Long finned fairy wrasse

Bluehead fairy wrasse

1 male/3 female Maldives Lyretail Anthias

Diamond Goby

Skunk cleaner shrimp

• 3 months later...
fewskillz

Thanks guys.

Matt, a 50 is a nice size tank. Ive had pretty much every size tank, or at least close to it, that you can imagine from 2.5 up to the 180. The 40 breeder is my second favorite behind a 125.

Hi La La. ;)

• 1 month later...

Added a green banded sleeper goby this weekend.

IMG_20120705_213158.jpg

My sand bed had really gone to crap since I lost my diamond goby along with most of my other fish back in February. A really busy year for me combined with the near-tank-crash really hurt my motivation for this tank. 14 fish dying provided some pretty serious ammonia fuel for an algae/cyano out break. Life is starting to slow down a little and I feel like I have a handle on this tank again. I'll take a FTS tonight, the water was cloudy last night from me scrapping the back wall and overflows.

Current stock:

Yellow tang

Blue hippo tang

Pair of black occelaris clowns

Red firefish

Red fairy wrasse

Blue/green chromis

Green banded sleeper goby

Pair of skunk cleaner shrimp

My view from the couch:

IMG_20120709_213036.jpg

Some perspective shots to show how much swimming room there is:

IMG_20120709_213151.jpg

IMG_20120709_213131.jpg

IMG_20120709_213111.jpg

And the promised FTS:

IMG_20120709_211857.jpg

I'm sorry photobucket murders the quality of my mobile uploads.

Thank you. I've actually been thinking about changing the aquascape some. I like the current one, but I feel like I can do better.

I've been reading about dosing lately and I think I'm ready. I'm definitely ready for some more serious coral. I'm also considering carbon and/or gfo reactors. It will probably all come from BRS and I'll stick with manual dosing for now. Thoughts? Advice? Pointers? Etc? for an experienced hobbyist looking to take the next step?

You can't have a 180g adventure.. I has a 180g adventure.. I been thinkin of changin the name tho.. ;).. I was going to do a similar scape also with 3 columns but my wife likes the reef wall look. Not sure how I convinced her cutting a 3" hole in the living room wall was a good idea.. but I think I'll make the rock wall. Maybe you can get some acrylic rods or some plastic driveway markers and epoxy up some arches.

Don't dose for that which you don't test for. The only reason you need to dose is to keep levels within range. If you don't have a lot of calcium sucking sticks and you consistently test 460ca each week then you don't need to dose calc. If you test 8dkh one day, and 6dkh a few days later, then you need to dose bicarb. That's the jist.. if you run a fuge in your sump and you don't have much algae growth in the display you can likely skip the GFO for now. Again you'd need to test for phosphates before considering a GFO reactor to remove something you might not have an issue with.

Thanks for the advice Mike. I haven't been dosing before because I don't test for much and dont have any really calcium dependent corals. I want some though! I have a calcium test and have always been a little low when I've tested out of curiosity. I'm going to get salifert magnesium and alk tests later this week, and in another paycheck or two I'll upgrade my calcium test to salifert too. The reason for wanting the reactors is I use natural seawater and don't have a very effective fuge anymore. I did at my old house but got rid of it in favor of an ATO reservoir inside of the cabinet.

Archived