SaltCritters.com

Shaz's AP 24 HQI

shaz1971

you know I was trying to find the little black and white tentacle in my pic too and had to look real hard in middle of the pic to spot it. I will try to take a better pic tonight.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
gulfsurfer101

Congrats bro on your new addiction, trust me it will set in. I found a ten gallon tank on the side of the reod and that's how it got started for me, now about five tanks and about 5 grand later I just got me one of the aqua pod 24g w/hqi and I love it. Looks good, your off to a good start, just keep the maintence up and it's a learn as you go process.

gulf, it is most def a addiction, I read the thread "whats up with this pricing" and immedialtely thought of buy a 12g to start with :). But I think I will wait to have my 24G setup. Are you posting your progress yet?

Oh, I think your rock and rockscape are just beautiful! Very sweet hitchers, too.

Those bristleworms will be an excellent part of your CUC. They will multiply or decrease in number as needed.

Nice job!

--Diane

Looking good. Nice hitchhikers. The 'tentacles' that are you see could be peanut worms coming out. I have some that look like that. If they are true tentacles and not a worm, could possibly be a mini brittle star. I couldn't see in the pics well enough to tell. For your question on the star, could be a mini brittle star if they have long skinny legs. If the legs are short and stubby, most likely to be asterina anomala stars. A common star, some people say they might munch on corals, some say they don't, but they are supposedly good CUC.

On your earlier question, if it were me, I would do a re-aquascape now if I wanted to, as opposed to later (although you will probably want to do one later as well if you are like the rest of us... lol) Anyways, the reason I say now is that you will likely stir up the sand moving the rocks around and muddle things up a bit. I have found that can make nitrates go up slightly and could make some diatoms. Do it now in the cycle, and not have to worry about it later after your cycle is done. Disclaimer: That is all purely opinion, as I am certainly no expert. :D

just thought Id update on my tank.

New hardware additions..

AquaC Remora skimmer (not nano) with Maxi1200 (Thanks to Ryan)

post-31894-1193889190_thumb.jpg

CPR refugium with JBJ light and Rio 200.. (Thanks to Ryan)

post-31894-1193889121_thumb.jpg

post-31894-1193889128_thumb.jpg

post-31894-1193889136_thumb.jpg

Koralia 1.

post-31894-1193889152_thumb.jpg

Rainbow Lifegard Little Time

post-31894-1193889171_thumb.jpg

FTS

post-31894-1193889281_thumb.jpg

I noticed that I am getting a diatom bloom going, its on my rocks and I have a few spots on the sand. Should start a CUC now??

Also Just wanted to thank Ryan for his knowlege and the freebie. :)

Everything is looking really good! Looks like good placement on the Koralia, as you will get lots of flow across the rocks, and when you look at the tank from the front, the backdrop for the K1 is the filter grates, so it kinda blends in.

With the fuge going into the 1st chamber, are you still using some kinda filter media in the chamber? How do you have that set up?

Wish I could help on the skimmer. I have never used one so I am not sure about the micro bubbles issue. Good luck.

On your question on the CUC, I would feel comfortable adding a few if the nitrates had subsided enough. I found that Astraea snails do a great cleanup job, as well as Cerinths.

Keep up the good work!

Your tank looks really good so far and you definitely won't regreat the metal halide lighting later on. :)

The best advice I can give to you on your new tank is just to make sure you take things slow and pace yourself when you start adding livestock.

Good luck!

Thanks H2O and Brian for the compliments. :). Yup, Im trying to be really slow with it. No plans for livestock for awhile except some CUC if the Diatoms go out of control.

H2O, I ended up copying your set up and pointed the K1 up and the two arms down to see if I can eliminate the micro bubbles. Apparently its the skimmer and it will continue to do so for about a couple of weeks so I will change the config back.

For the fuge, I took out the sponges since I read that they were nitrate traps anyhow. I left a little bit of LR rubble in the bottom of chamber 1. The fuge currently has only LR on the bottom along with a handful of chaeto. I might add a phos-ban bag on the right (where the power head is attached) chamber since Ryan has a moded crate there.

post-31894-1193939491_thumb.jpg

post-31894-1193939499_thumb.jpg

I have the skimmer pump going in chamber two along with the stock pump, do you see any problems with that? also I am contemplating the placement for the stealth heater (due to arrive any day now) should place that in chamber two? or try to manage it chamber 1. Thank you much. Shaz

last night I had everything at 0s except my nitrates were at 180 ppm. I researched the net on it and came to the conclusion that I should do my first water change. I did a 20% water change and brought the nitrate down to 80 ppm. Can anyone tell me if it was the right thing to do? after the fact I know.

My params..

Ph. 8.2

Am. 0

nitrites. 0

nitrates. 80

salinity. 1.023 (holding steady since day 1)

Also, how do you calibrate a refractometer?

Sorry for all these newbie Qs. :wacko:

I probably would have done a water change at that point too. Over the next week keep testing your nitrate levels, if they continue to rise then you know that your tank is still cycling and should be given more time before the next water change. (Pre-emptive water changes can slow down the cycling process if i'm not mistaken). However, if your nitrate remains at 0 or a very low amount, then I would suggest another larger water change, and then you can begin adding some livestock.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Brian, I do have a few little criters in the tank and didnt want them dying off so thought it best to do a water change. I will keep monitoring the levels though. What amount of water change should I do when I get 0s across the board? thank you again.

I remember when I was first cycling my tank, after it was all set and ready for fish and the first coral, I did about a 40 - 50% water change.

man Im spending way too much on this tank. Just bought a Artica 1/10 chiller from ebay, now Im thinking I probably didnt need it. :( How many of you guys have chillers on your nanos?

Ha, I thought that the other day, that I am spending way too much on my tank. But, as I told my wife I don't go out drinking or gambling so this can be my vise. lol As far as the water changes go, I think the standard thinking is that if you leave it alone and don't do water changes, it will cycle faster; but if you do have some hitchikers that you would like to try to save, do the water changes and they might survive, but may take longer to cycle. I think that was already stated earlier in some form or fashion, but just thought I would throw it out there again.. :D

I think when the heat of next summer rolls around, you may be glad you have that chiller. Ambient room temp can really affect your tank temp, and the temps are pretty mild right now since it is fall, and you may see a spike in temp next summer and be glad you have the chiller.

H2O +1

I was about to say the same thing. Just wait until the summer rolls around. I live in Canada and only have power compact lighting, but the temperature gets out of control during the long summer days!!

I also just ordered a chiller for my tank last night actually, from the great people at Nanotuners. They already shipped it before the weekend!! :D

Next up---> 150w MH.

CHEERS!!

edit:

you should probably not spend anymore money for a while now though. lol

Nice tank your starting there, also nice hitchhikers!

about the money thing, if you think about it, how much do other hobby cost?! Although I also tell myself I spend too much money on that cube filled with water with all kinds of living stuff in it...

Thanks for the support guys :blush: I got the JBJ 1/10 Artica brand spankin new in the box for $255.00 picked up. I think I got a deal what do you guys think? also against my better judgement but the advice of a trusted LFS owner bought a few snails and crabs. I aclimated them for about an hour or so. They seem to know what to do right out of the box so to speak. Started cleaning up all my diatoms, veeerry niiice. Will post pic later.

Archived