Coral Vue Hydros

Shaz's AP 24 HQI

shaz1971

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are some new shots of the tank.

Damsel the sole fish of the tank for now.

post-31894-1194297762_thumb.jpg

post-31894-1194297767_thumb.jpg

post-31894-1194297772_thumb.jpg

post-31894-1194297777_thumb.jpg

Astrea snail, I had to turn this guy over 4 times yesterday, I said I wasnt going to get this type of snail but the LFS talked me into it. :angry:

post-31894-1194297789_thumb.jpg

Hermits, caught these guys fighting before I took the pic, they saw me and broke it up. :)

post-31894-1194297796_thumb.jpg

Micro bubbles from the skimmer, still waiting for the break in period. Hopefully they will pass. Any other ideas to get rid of them?

post-31894-1194297811_thumb.jpg

Snail. Got 4 of these guys and they are doing pretty good at cleaning the glass and loclines and the Koralia.

post-31894-1194297837_thumb.jpg

Right side of tank.

post-31894-1194297832_thumb.jpg

Left side of tank.

post-31894-1194297803_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Hi Shaz~ Your tank is looking great! That blue fish is beautiful! I bet it really shines in your tank, huh?

I posted some new pics, I got a female Scooter Blenny for my male and he seems to love her! I also got a feather duster that didn't seem very happy yesterday but now he seems to have found a spot he likes and he has been out most of the day today. I would like to get some more of those, they are pretty flowing in the water current.

Hope your having a great weekend!

RedSeaGal/Angie

CypressSlayer
Thanks for the support guys :blush: I got the JBJ 1/10 Artica brand spankin new in the box for $255.00 picked up. I think I got a deal what do you guys think? also against my better judgement but the advice of a trusted LFS owner bought a few snails and crabs. I aclimated them for about an hour or so. They seem to know what to do right out of the box so to speak. Started cleaning up all my diatoms, veeerry niiice. Will post pic later.

Good deal. I have a chiller, I think eveything I had whould have died by now if I didn't get it. My pad has no AC it always about 85 in here.

Thanks for the support guys :blush: I got the JBJ 1/10 Artica brand spankin new in the box for $255.00 picked up. I think I got a deal what do you guys think? also against my better judgement but the advice of a trusted LFS owner bought a few snails and crabs. I aclimated them for about an hour or so. They seem to know what to do right out of the box so to speak. Started cleaning up all my diatoms, veeerry niiice. Will post pic later.

The tank looks really good.

You got a great deal on the 1/10. I picked up mine at the LFS (Pacific Reef) for closer to $350 or so. I ended up purchasing one after I came home from work one day and found all three fish dead and my tank water around 92 degrees. So good for you on being pre-emptive (I think someone else mentioned that) and taking care of that now.

Sorry to hear about your experience with ATA. That's awful.

And, yes, you're right. This hobby is akin to a drug addiction. "... must buy <urrgh> more equipment ..."

Looking forward to more photos.

RSG, that is awesome. Did you post pics of him? or the two of them together? Troy, I dont know the measurement of the fuge but I would think that it would fit if it clears or sits over the partition in middle dividing the chambers. I stretched the bulkhead wall a little when I was trying to secure one of the pumps back there with my big hand but it went back in place so I dont think I broke it (if that makes any sense?)biocubist, thank you much. Just trying to take it slow but today I had an oppertunity to pick up a free superman monti and a $5 xenia so couldnt pass it up, hope they survive. Going to give them a day or two to see how they are doing or else they will probably go to LFS. Pics at the bottom. CS, I got the chiller after seeing the temps go to the mid 80s. Wouldnt you know it, after I got the chiller its been pretty cool here in the high desert. :) guess I will appreciate when summer rolls around. PaulS, thanks for the encouraging words. I just have to keep myself in check (as my wife puts it) I tend to go overboard on my hobbies and two months later, I am done with them :), ie; my bike sitting in the garage untouched for 6 or more months :)Sorry to hear about your fish. I would hate to see something perish under my care aswell, bummer I bet. ATA seems to be lacking in customer service, just want to make a quick buck and it seems they dont want to retain loyalty?? puzzles me to no end. lol, I seem to be searching for cool things for my "next" tank even though I hardly started with this one. Almost bought a pair of Tunze 6025s knowing I dont need them :) like you said "must buy more equipment" :)Here are some pics finally. . . .Acclimation setup. post-31894-1195030777_thumb.jpgpost-31894-1195030783_thumb.jpgpost-31894-1195030788_thumb.jpga Bad pic of the tiny superman Montipost-31894-1195030796_thumb.jpgPic of Xenia frag.post-31894-1195030848_thumb.jpgDamsel again.post-31894-1195030804_thumb.jpgSnail..post-31894-1195030822_thumb.jpg[att

chment=31156:SNAIL_OUT.jpg]post-31894-1195030836_thumb.jpgThe Snail Tank :)post-31894-1195030842_thumb.jpgFTS..post-31894-1195030811_thumb.jpgGot to improve on my camera skills. Hope you enjoy the pics and thank you for looking :)Man I do a lot of :)s

post-31894-1195030831_thumb.jpg

Shaz~Tank looks sooooo good! I love your xenia frag! :wub: Is it pulsing yet? I have been looking for one myself, but can't find any for a good price yet. I did get a medusa star polyp, it's pretty small and I got a frag of frogspawn, which I love! I will get some pics...I know, I know..I ask for pics and then I don't post any myself! :blush: My camera phone just doesn't take great pictures! I think I posted the pics of my blenny couple, if not, I will add it tonight!

What kind of snail is that?? Never seen one like that before!

Glad to see your tank is coming along as great as it is, mine is doing good other than I have a ton of hair algae on the back glass that none of my CUC will touch! :angry:

What other kinds of corals are you planning on getting?

Ahh thanks for the compliments :blush: that xenia is doing outstanding, pulsing and seems pretty happy. I had to relocate him a couple of times because I dont have anything to mount him with. I would really like to see the pic of your medusa polyp.

BTW, I got that Xenia from a local who is awesome I might add (Mark) :) he hooked me up with it for $5.

Today I went to Aquarium and Reef and met Ali who is total Reefer and not a shop owner it seems. Very clean shop. I got two frags of frogspawn and a purple torch with neon green tips, which he threw in fo free. Very cool of him.

Then I visited Scissorhand and got a huge piece of Red Monti cap and a tiny frag of star neon polyp and another cap ( I forget the name). Awesome people here on the board.

hmmm what other corals?? I want to get some recordias, yumas, plate, maybe some zoos for the wife perhaps a couple other ones., Nano size ofcourse :) as far as fish, just want to get a goby and a couple of clowns. Dont know which ones yet.

Will post pics later.

I am bargain hunting :)

Here are a couple of more additions that I made last night, I dont think that corals affect the bioload, someone please correct me if Im wrong.

post-31894-1195163543_thumb.jpg

post-31894-1195163551_thumb.jpg

post-31894-1195163567_thumb.jpg

post-31894-1195163572_thumb.jpg

post-31894-1195163579_thumb.jpg

I also got a tiny frag of neon star polyps that I cant get a clear pic of. Hopefully it will grow.

Another freebie I got from Aquarium World in Victorville. Never met the owner Todd but got to talking to him on the phone today and he totally hooked me up with this birdsnest. Sweet.

The pics are not capturing the true color of this thing. It is neon green.

post-31894-1195190952_thumb.jpg

Any opinions on which brand Iodine test I should use along with any other tests now that I am keeping corals? thank you for looking.

This morning woke up to find one of the hermits molted and the xenia is all closed up. All my params are ok any thoughts of how to revive the xenia?

Hi Shaz, you have some great corals!! What is the name of that last one you have pictured?? Are you going to take a FTS anytime soon, huh? huh? :lol: Well, I am waiting for a digital camera to come that I bought from Phixion and then I will take some pics of mine. I've never had a digital camera before, so I am pretty excited!

Anyway..I just wanted to tell you that I was looking on some websites for some pulsing xenia, I am still trying to find some and I came across a web site that said, if your xenias are not pulsing.. you should increase your lighting or move them up closer to the light. Of course, I don't have experience with that...but I thought of you when I saw it and thought I would mention it. :)

Hope all is well with you and your tank!

Hey RSG, thank you much. The sps I just added is a birdsnest coral, LFS hooked me up with it. I will take a FTS shortly and posted soon. Anti-virus is doing a system check on my computer right now so I have to wait till that is over. Congrats on the digi camera, cant wait to see the most awesomest pics you'll produce with it :).

Thank you for the xenia tip, I will place it near the top now and see if it works. Last night at the LFS, the owner said that xenia likes a little dirtier water or place it near a leather since leather discharge some gunk. Never heard of such a thing, I wonder if that is true. Ahhhh you thought about my little xenia, that is sweet :blush:

how is your tank doing? are the criters attacking the back wall yet?

My tank is doing really good, my skunk shrimp is playing nice now and no more sexy shrimp murders. :) I moved the top rock around where the sexy shrimp liked to stay because I could never see them to make sure they were still there. Once I moved the rock around, they moved and now they live in my frogspawn, it's pretty cool, so now I can see them in the front all the time!

I have a few snails working on the back wall but they aren't even making a dent in it, so I scraped it today and it messed up the water pretty good and I spent awhile with a net trying to get most of it out of the water. Still have a bit back there but next time I change the water I may try again...hopefully that will get all of it. At least it looks a bit better now.

I have a hammer and a torch coming in about 2 weeks and I will let you know when I post some pics!

Oh, what is the coral that is above the picture of the birdsnest? That is really nice!!

Let me know how the little xenia is liking it up top! :)

No change in the xenia, I might have lost it. :(

Above the birdsnest is a challice, it is supposed to be purple with neon yellow mouth but right now it has tint of purple but mainly mauve? color with neon yellow.

Cant wait to see your pics.

Gorgeous new corals, Shaz, and sweet pics of them, too!

If you read any of the Xenia threads in the coral forum you will quickly gather that it can be problematic...it either grows like a weed or refuses to thrive...Mine does the former and my tank is on the dirty side, so there's some evidence for what you were told. :) Not sure I'd buy the bit about the leather, though...not that you shouldn't try one if you want, but they are notorious for chemical warfare and I don't think that's what your Xenia needs. (Though I'm not saying it would harm the Xenia, either...it's just not the right kind of "dirt").

Was it pulsing when you bought it?

If it's just closed up, I wouldn't worry about it yet...it might sulk for a few days, then re-open. When Xenia goes bad it "melts," I think.

Your tank's looking great!

--Diane

Tank is looking good. Hope your Xenia pulls through. I thought about getting some Xenia at one time, and decided against it when I saw some peoples tanks that were almost overrun by it. It is pretty stuff when it is pulsing though. Good luck with it.

Hi Diane, Im glad you like the tank. Yup it was pulsing when I put it in the tank for about 4 or 5 days but after the water change it closed up. I can still see little polyps extended but not fully so theres hope yet. If it does get overrun then I would give them to noobs like myself :). Thats what I like about meeting people here, always willing to share what they have. :)

H2o, my tank is taking shape for what I envisioned it to be. Xenias are very interesting to watch, I have not seen anything else that pulse like that.. are there any other corals who behave similarly?

Just want to thank reeferman_chris for hooking me up with an awesome AOG polyp. Cant wait for it to open up. Will post FTS when it does.

I have read about people modifying there 2nd or 1st chamber into a fuge. but Shaz you have added a CPR Fuge to the back of your nano. which do you guys think is better? or easier?

Thank you for the compliments guys..

Chris, as you know.. the AOG polyp detached when I put it in my tank.. then I found it, re-attached it and then AGAIN it got lost and I have been searching for that little sucker but cant find it. Really bummed about that.

Hope it turns up.

H20, yup they are sweet. Im still beating myself up for losing it. :(

Hey Jason, I was going to mod my 2nd chamber for a fuge but I ran across a deal from Ryan(member here) for a fuge and skimmer so I couldnt pass it up. To tell you the truth I am really glad I did, I have a bunch of pods in there in a short amount of time. Skimmer and fuge fit in the back like a glove.

Well for the past couple of days I was trying to aquire a couple of clowns for the tank but it seems that I was not having any luck, even for a regular pair of false percs. So at about 6pm I called Ali at Amazing reefs and he had just got two pairs of true percs and he gave me a price I couldnt refuse. Drove out to Oc and picked them up along with a fire shrimp and tricolored wrasse. Wrasse and shrimp are hidding so I will take a pic of them later.

Here are my clowns.

post-31894-1196198535_thumb.jpg

so the poor damsel has to go. I really feel bad about it but Im affraid its a neccesity :(

post-31894-1196198575_thumb.jpg

Here is my RBTA from Ryan, thank you Ryan for this and EVERYthing else you hooked me up with.

post-31894-1196198588_thumb.jpg

My Xenia is feeling better after I placed it in a different spot but it is still not fully opened.

post-31894-1196198595_thumb.jpg

Eeeks, a bristleworm made its way into my fuge! Im surprised it didnt get chopped up in the pump.

post-31894-1196198544_thumb.jpg

FTS (seem to be having a hard time today with my camera)

post-31894-1196198566_thumb.jpg

Not pictured are the Cirrhilabrus lubbocki wrasse. Yesterday I was really close to getting a Mystery Wrasse after I saw at Ryans but held off even though it was a great price.

Also not pictured is the Fire Shrimp, Whammin Watermelon and awesome orange zoos from Ryan.

More to come..

Archived