Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Shaz's AP 24 HQI

shaz1971

Your tank is really coming along nice!!! It looks so clean too! I can say I am really jealous of all the corals you have in your tank! PLUS, your clowns are beautiful, I like the thicker black bars on them! I bought quite a few zoas that would look good if they would open and I keep getting the brown stringy stuff all over them, which isn't helping the fact that they won't open. GRRRR! I bought a mushroom from someone on Ebay and it turns out they have a little store just a few miles from me, so when I go to pick it up, I am going to see what else he has. Be nice to save on shipping!!

You bought a fire shrimp, huh? Do you have any other shrimp in your tank? I really want one, but I just don't know if it would get along with my skunk and sexy shrimp. I should have bought a fire shrimp first! Can't wait to see the pics! Are your zoas already open?

Glad your back!! :D

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thanks shaz. your tank is soo nice and its set up very well. you did a good job! ok but i dont really want to spend $300 for a fuge so ive read that moding the 1st or 2nd chamber to a fuge would still help towards the nitrates and stuff but more cost effective. ive read to remove the sponge and just put some LR in the bottom of the chamber with some chateo and a little light over it. does anybody else have anything to add or change with that? how does the modified chamber fuge actually work for your tanks? what skimmer are you using shaz?

RSG, thank you much.. the clowns I have are true percs and less hardy than the ones you have. Your zoos will open up, I have heard that some times it takes 15 minutes or some do not open up for a week or so, hang in there. Did you ever find out what that brown stuff was?

Score on finding a local shop, specially with good prices.. that is great. I have one lonesome shop close by so I often have to drive 50 miles each way to Orange County which seems to be the mecca of saltwater stores lol.

The fire shrimp is hiding in the back so I could not get a clear shot of him. They are pretty little creatures, I will try to get a pic of him today. He is the only shrimp in tank. I was looking for a sexy but just didnt come across one and the not so LFS offered him to me for $20 so I took him.

My limited number of zoos are opened up, love the way they glow in the moonlight. Still bummed about my AOG polyp :(

Did you see the pic of the Xenia? he is doing better :)

Jason.. thanks for the compliment brother. Actually if you skim the boards here and others, you can find a deal for skimmers and fuge. I bought mine here for $120 for AquaC Remora Skimmer and CPR small fuge and like I said, they fit perfect.

Also if you dont want to peel off the coating from the back and get a clip-on light, you can simply get one of those sponge holders from lowes, HD or walmart and stick it on the side or back.. I was going to do that to save on hassle and cost of finding a clip light but ran across said deal. I found a black sponge/soap holder at lowes that would be perfect to fit in the back and kinda blend in.

Have you started your tank yet?

ok i will look for a deal on a skimmer and a small CPR refuge. no i haven't' started my tank yet, but i hope to start it sometime next month :) i can't wait! ive been doing researching for the last week.

another thing shaz. how much does the extra pump for the refuge add to the tanks heat? also do you have another pump for circulation in your tank besides your return pumps? if so, isn't that too much circulation? and do you see any extra tubing or anything in the tank from the CPR fuge because i want to try to minimize the extra stuff showing in my tank?

Hey Jason, I have a Rio 200 on the fuge.. Im not sure how much heat it generates but I have been keeping the temps at 78 degrees since its been kinda cold around my area. If it gets warm in the house, I take the glass top off so that helps.

I replaced the stock pump with Maxi Jet 1200 and I also have a Koralia 1 on the right side of the tank. From what I heard... as long as there isnt a sand storm in your tank, you are ok.

Everything hides behind the bulkhead so you do not see any tubings at all. Check out my pics on an earlier page to see how the fuge sits in the back. Hope this helps.

I am so glad that the little xenia is doing better! I actually found some on my LR when I moved it around and it is so tiny, but it is pulsing away! :wub:

I wanted to let you know I got some new stuff, green hammer, neon green torch and a yellow-tipped torch. I posted pics, nothing is open yet, but they are working at it. I will get more pics once they are fully open.

How's the fire shrimp doin??

Shaz the tank looks really good. i am setting up my ap 24 right now, and you are giving me some ideas about a fuge and a larger skimmer on the back. Did the mj 1200 and K1 give you that sand storm? I was thinking of just using a mj900 with the k1 in fear of too much flow. (I also have a tone of zoo frags I dont want getting tossed lol) Also, are you getting any serious skimmate off of that remora? I am trying to see if the fuge/skimmer hang on back method is honestly worth the cash.

thanks for posting, i cant wait to see more of your tanks evolution.

Thanks DJ, I am very happy with the MJ1200 and the K1... no storm what so ever. I have one of the loclines spouts pointed upwards for surface agitation and the other pointed downwards mid point. The K1 is on the right upper back corner pointed front left mid point. It works out great.

On the skimmer and fuge, I would suggest that you find a used one but it was worth the money for me. I am tossing out 3/4 cups full of green/brown tea every week and I dont have much in my tank so thats got to be good. I also like the small cpr in the back because I am seeing a lot of pods developing there all crawling around and since I placed a bag of carbon in there where pump introduces the water in fuge?? it has polished my water nicely.

Sorry for the babble, I hope I was able to write my thoughts. lol

when i get my tank up and running, should I take the glass top off or keep it on? i kind of would like to keep it on because i like that look and my sunpod wont get all crusty with salt creep. but im going to get a CPR HOB fuge and AquaC Remora skimmer so i would have to take it off for them....mann the delema!!

Thanks DJ, I am very happy with the MJ1200 and the K1... no storm what so ever. I have one of the loclines spouts pointed upwards for surface agitation and the other pointed downwards mid point. The K1 is on the right upper back corner pointed front left mid point. It works out great.

On the skimmer and fuge, I would suggest that you find a used one but it was worth the money for me. I am tossing out 3/4 cups full of green/brown tea every week and I dont have much in my tank so thats got to be good. I also like the small cpr in the back because I am seeing a lot of pods developing there all crawling around and since I placed a bag of carbon in there where pump introduces the water in fuge?? it has polished my water nicely.

Sorry for the babble, I hope I was able to write my thoughts. lol

Jason,

I would only take the top off in the case of a heatwave or if your house is constantly hot. When it was hot here in CA I had the glass top off and I really didnt see that much salt creep. I clean my tank every other day or so too so that helps.

Oooh, sweet additions! I LOVE the yellow rics! (Do you sort of wish they'd come on a smaller rock, tho? :))

Everything's looking great!

--Diane

haha.. hi Diane, didnt have time to cut that rock last night but I do plan on cutting it today. You know I have you to blame for my interest in rics :)

Just went to check on the fish and couldnt find one of my clown fish. She hasnt been doing well, have not seen her eat in 3 to 4 days so I was sure that she perrished. Found her against the over flow and knew she was dead... took the glass top off and went to scoop her out.. whamm she started swimming again... that was wierd! hehe

Glad she is not dead... I likes her :wub:

Archived