Coral Vue Hydros

Just opened my new JBJ 28g HQI, time to start my new project.

Moadster

I just picked up my JBJ nanocube 28g HQI and stand from my buddy's warehouse. It looks amazing! Very happy with the quality of the tank and the stand. The whole setup looks great in my condo, very sleek. I like how you can mount the halide ballast, power strip, wave maker, and pretty much all other electronic connections inside the stand out of sight.

My buddy taking the tank out of the box.

4tz2fyr.jpg

Unwrapping it....

4plq1k2.jpg

The filter basket.

4qx4zgo.jpg

Protein skimmer and air pump.

6gbrjhs.jpg

Back of the tank, hopefully I can figure out how to make a mini-fuge in the back of here.

6cf7us8.jpg

Lights on!!

645o11x.jpg

Back area with skimmer.

66t5mky.jpg

LED's.

4tjzzpz.jpg

Color filter on.

4ms3508.jpg

I also got my Nanotuners 2X18w actinic lighting mod.

682pnwh.jpg

And also ordered this stuff from Liveaquaria:

1) CD-912221 Aqua Gloves Pair

2) CD-907026 Master Liquid Test Kit Saltwater

3) CD-922871 Deep Six Hydrometer 1.012 - 1.032 specific gravity

4) CD-967117 Tahitian Moon Sand 20 lbs

5) CD-12873 Arag-Alive Indo-Pacific Black 20 lbs

6) CF-25731 Coralife Power Centers Single Digital

7) CD-29129 Koralia Water Circulation Pumps Pump 2

And later this week I'll be ordering the following:

Digi-Mag nano

Finnex titanium 150w heater

24" JBJ aqua scraper

and finally 36lbs of Tonga Fusion LR.

I'll post more pics as the rest of my stuff comes in...

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your tank looks great! Thanks for the pictures!Do you plan an auto top-off system in the stand? Wondering what the evap rate will be with the halides.How wide is the filtration area of the tank?

what a fat garfield.
Yea, he's a porker, but he's also huge....like 38" from head to tail. :o
Your tank looks great! Thanks for the pictures!Do you plan an auto top-off system in the stand? Wondering what the evap rate will be with the halides.How wide is the filtration area of the tank?
I'm not sure if im going to use an ATO or not, I just need to see how much water disappears per day to see if it's worth it. The filter basket is about 5 inches by 2 inches by about 11 inches, and the area the basket slides into is 5 inches wide by about 5 inches long and 14+ inches deep.
Back area with skimmer.

66t5mky.jpg

It would appear that the skimmer collection cup is in the way of the hood opening? That is, if those are hinges on the back of the hood.
It would appear that the skimmer collection cup is in the way of the hood opening? That is, if those are hinges on the back of the hood.

Idk if its like this with the jbj, but the biocube29 hood isnt on hinges like the smaller ones are.

You're off to a good start with this tank. Can't wait to see it up and running.
Thanks!!! Yea, I'm dying to get something living in the tank...
Hmm, looks like JBJ already made changes to the back area. My 28g has clear glass for the back area and your pics show the back area with a black coating.
Yes, they have added a vinyl film to the back area, but it is easily peeled off.
That is true, the cup is in the way of the hood, but the cup is easily removed and the hood will open and shut normally.

Did my Nanotuners 2X18w Actinic light mod today. Install was fairly straight foward, I found that the easiest way to drill through the extremely thin metal reflector was to put a wood block on the other side of it while drilling so you could put alot of pressure on it with the drill and not bend the reflector. The only thing that I changed about the install was that I siliconed the power cord where in enters back into the waterproof light enclosure to make a factory watertight fit.

Mounting the light clips.

rrjtef.jpg

The ever important block of wood.

jqgqhi.jpg

Running the power cord and wiring up the ballast.

sg68uf.jpg

Finished mounting and soldering of wires.

4vlmxc.jpg

Siliconed power cord.

vg0eps.jpg

All done.

fe2881.jpg

I can't wait to see my corals glowing under this!!!

Good work and keep us updated I'm still trying to decide if I should get this tank or the CAD 34g Signature tank when I shift to America. Right now I have the Red Sea Max.

Good work and keep us updated I'm still trying to decide if I should get this tank or the CAD 34g Signature tank when I shift to America. Right now I have the Red Sea Max.

The CAD is a very nice tank, but I like the true "All in one" look of the JBJ. It compliments my condo very nicely, it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb. I also couldn't argue with the price I got the JBJ for...more than $200 cheaper than the CAD signature. Of course for the price of a new tank, you could get the Nanocustoms hood for your RSM and be set ;)

Yeah but I'm moving to America and the price it would cost for me to take my Max tank over there alone would be more than a new CAD Signature :D keep them pics coming.

***Update****

Christmas came early!!!!

I got everything I need! I just finished hooking up my RO/DI unit under my sink and I'm in the (long and slow) process of filling it up now. I ran an additional Tee in-between the outlet of the RO filter and the faucet and hooked up 30 feet of 1/4" line with a valve on the end of it so I can directly fill my tank up....so far so good.

2q2ik54.jpg

o6i3iv.jpg

20lbs Tonga Fusion

e1damf.jpg

20lbs Tonga Kaelini

103c1vr.jpg

Hey hey.... everything looking great.

I am a little bit too late though. I see that you got all the items that you ordered already. I would suggest that you get rid of the Hydrometer and get yourself a Refractometer. I had a Hydrometer in the beginning as well and getting a refractometer was a great investment.

Hey hey.... everything looking great.

I am a little bit too late though. I see that you got all the items that you ordered already. I would suggest that you get rid of the Hydrometer and get yourself a Refractometer. I had a Hydrometer in the beginning as well and getting a refractometer was a great investment.

Your the second person to tell me that today. :)

Any advice on a good one?

Thought this was a cool pic. I mixed some salt in the tank already, and the non-saline R.O. water looks pretty cool going into the saline aquarium water with the lights on.

w0q1dg.jpg

Archived