Innovative Marine Aquariums

Just opened my new JBJ 28g HQI, time to start my new project.

Moadster

Are you using one of the Rio pumps to feed the chiller? Looks like the pic shows the chiller return is through one of the tanks return nozzles. Is this correct?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
While expensive for fans the SilenX line from nanocustoms reduced my stock fan noise BIG time.With mine being in the bedroom it was worth every penny.
Yea, I don't really mind the fan noise since they are only on when my halides are. (~6hr/day)
Are you using one of the Rio pumps to feed the chiller? Looks like the pic shows the chiller return is through one of the tanks return nozzles. Is this correct?
That is correct.

10/14/07

Day 16.

Did a 25% water change on Friday night. My CUC really did the job keeping my algae in check. I have been adding daily doses of Purple Up and Reef Solution, and also been adding Reef Pure PH buffer every other day to keep my PH up. It all seems to be doing what it's supposed to, and now I can really see some growth in my coralline algaes.

Water test:

S.G. - 1.024

PH - 8.3

Ammonia - 0

Nitrites - .25ppm

Nitrates - 10ppm

Calcium - 500

DKH - 12

Phosphate - 0

So the good news is that it looks like my cycle is finally over!!! I am going to make a trip to the LFS tomorrow and pick out a few goodies, but the majority of them are coming on Thurday...I will post pics of what I get ASAP. But for now here are a few pics.

***OLD FTS****

oppflw.jpg

Current FTS (look at the difference in color on the rocks)

10ye2qh.jpg

Awesome coralline growth

2yl8a61.jpg

2iqg5zt.jpg

One of my scarlet hermits

oiw51x.jpg

Did you notice any increase/decrease in temps after you added the HF 6's?

The HF 6's are rated at 15w and push 350 GPH so they look even more efficient than the stock Accela pumps (16w at 266GPH). Looks like a win/win?

your tank looks cool to me, and i love the mod u made. btw, wat did u use as filter media in the 3 compartments at the back? did u use the same filter media since day 1 of cycling?

COOL TANK. What are your plans in the future for corals. SPS-LPS?? Either way your corals will do good in the setup you got. Wont have to worry about heating problems B)

GRATz 2 U

Did you notice any increase/decrease in temps after you added the HF 6's?

The HF 6's are rated at 15w and push 350 GPH so they look even more efficient than the stock Accela pumps (16w at 266GPH). Looks like a win/win?

There was no noticable difference in temps with the new pumps that I could tell, but I do have a chiller. But like you said it shouldn't make any increase in temp since the wattages are actually lower.

your tank looks cool to me, and i love the mod u made. btw, wat did u use as filter media in the 3 compartments at the back? did u use the same filter media since day 1 of cycling?

Thanks!

I am still using the stock sponge and carbon. I used an ammonia reducing carbon bag for the first 2 weeks, but now I threw the stock carbon back in there. I also removed the ceramic media.

COOL TANK. What are your plans in the future for corals. SPS-LPS?? Either way your corals will do good in the setup you got. Wont have to worry about heating problems B)

GRATz 2 U

I plan on mainly ric mushrooms and SPS, but mainly anything that catches my eye. I am prolly going to throw a clam in there as well. :)

10/19/07

Time for a much needed update.

Water test:

S.G. - 1.025

PH - 8.4

Ammonia - 0

Nitrites - 0

Nitrates - 0

Phosphates - 0

Dkh - 12

Calcium - 540

I also added my first 2 corals this week.

Ricordia Yuma shroom polyp in the process of splitting.

2udx3ir.jpg

2ryndb7.jpg

Armor of God Zoo polyps. This was the first night I got them, they still haven't opened up fully.

2m4de82.jpg

More pics to come!

Sweet setup. I think that JBJ 28g is a nice tank, I might look at one of those down the road. I will be following your progress!

Thanks! Yea I am 100% happy about my purchase, it's been a sweet tank so far.

I changed my aquascaping again this weekend to make more room for corals. At first I thought I was going to have to remove 2 or 3 fairly large rocks, but I ended up only removing 1 small one and I am very happy with the way it came out.

What do you think?

Before

2nltm3s.jpg

After

o6ionl.jpg

15rntxz.jpg

Thanks! Hey quick question about the AOG's...about how fast did they multiply? What did you feed them?

went from 10 full and 2 babies to 18 full and a baby in ~2.5 months. They love mini misis, fed em every 3-4 days.

went from 10 full and 2 babies to 18 full and a baby in ~2.5 months. They love mini misis, fed em every 3-4 days.

Awesome, I can't wait to see these babies spread!

A chiller makes a tank sexier than almost anything else.

Sweet set-up. I like it. Good choice on substrate, it looks great. I've had enough of the plain white sand...like my own.

A chiller makes a tank sexier than almost anything else.

Sweet set-up. I like it. Good choice on substrate, it looks great. I've had enough of the plain white sand...like my own.

Thanks, I am uber-jealous of your zero-edge, I love the top down views! But I am happy with my sand, I did a pretty much 50/50 mix of indo-pacific and tahitian moon.

Time for another update!

10/25/07

Water test:

S.G. - 1.025

PH - 8.4

Ammonia - 0

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate - 0

Phosphates - 0

Dkh - 12

Calcium - 500

Well I have really stocked up this week. Here is what I have added in the last few days.

1 pulsing Xenia/ Green Zoa frag (10 polyps)

1 assorted bright colored Zoa rock (~20 polyps)

1 small Eyes of Rah Zoa frag (5 polyps)

1 yellow mystery coral frag :-o

1 blue Ricordia mushroom rock (2 polyps)

1 2" Ultra Maxima clam

1 Green striped mushroom rock

1 Red mushroom rock

1 Flame Angel (gonna have to keep my eye on this one)

2 small True Percula clowns

And on to the pics!

img1081bk8.jpg

img1084qc3.jpg

img1105nc4.jpg

img1082xy9.jpg

img1083yb7.jpg

img1085ec7.jpg

img1086gr2.jpg

img1087fv7.jpg

img1093uk2.jpg

img1094ge2.jpg

img1095ap0.jpg

img1098mq0.jpg

img1099mq1.jpg

img1103oh8.jpg

img1104ly2.jpg

And a couple of videos...

http://img532.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mvi1101ii3.flv

http://img532.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mvi1102ry5.flv

http://img532.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mvi1106fy2.flv

Hey, great tank. I am getting mine tomorrow. For the locline, its just a Y on each side, then you position each line where you want it?

If I went the my LFS to get it, what all would I need? Does the tank need to be modified ? Did you keep them on the wavetimer?

Hey, great tank. I am getting mine tomorrow. For the locline, its just a Y on each side, then you position each line where you want it?

If I went the my LFS to get it, what all would I need? Does the tank need to be modified ? Did you keep them on the wavetimer?

Yes, its just a Y on each side.

The tank doesn't need to be modified at all, and yes I keep them on a wavetimer still.

10/28/07

I did a couple things today. I finished my mini-fuge and I went to the LFS and bought 2 more large turbos, 5 more nassarius snails and 2 peppermint shrimp.

Here are some pics of my fuge setup:

14ugdau.jpg

2pq8fx3.jpg

8vruyw.jpg

11mc761.jpg

2e21kcj.jpg

Archived