ReefCleaners.org

Just opened my new JBJ 28g HQI, time to start my new project.

Moadster

That is great!! Hope you don't mind but I've pretty much modeled mine after yours. Haha, just trying to finish up the fuge tonight. Then after the cycle, I'll add the algae.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That is great!! Hope you don't mind but I've pretty much modeled mine after yours. Haha, just trying to finish up the fuge tonight. Then after the cycle, I'll add the algae.

Thanks, it seems to working pretty well so far....Post pics of your setup too!!

Thanks, it seems to working pretty well so far....Post pics of your setup too!!

Hey Moadster, wonderful tank so far! Keep up the good work!!

Question: do you have an auto-top off setup? If so, which chamber do you have it setup in? I currently have a JBJ auto-top off in my 24g nano (planning out the 28g setup) and was worried it wouldn't fit in the middle chamber with the filter canister in the middle. Thanks for any help!

I currently have a JBJ auto-top off in my 24g nano (planning out the 28g setup) and was worried it wouldn't fit in the middle chamber with the filter canister in the middle. Thanks for any help!

I don't have a ATO in my 28g yet, but you would need to put the sensor in one of the outer chambers with the pumps. Normally, the middle chambers stay at a constant level, and only the pump chamber varies due to evap. The problem I see is that when the wavemaker resets, due to power failure, or power cutoff to feed, the wavemaker turns on with both pumps on and significantly drops the water level in the pump chamber which would cause the ATO to add in a lot of unneeded water.

I don't have a ATO in my 28g yet, but you would need to put the sensor in one of the outer chambers with the pumps. Normally, the middle chambers stay at a constant level, and only the pump chamber varies due to evap. The problem I see is that when the wavemaker resets, due to power failure, or power cutoff to feed, the wavemaker turns on with both pumps on and significantly drops the water level in the pump chamber which would cause the ATO to add in a lot of unneeded water.

I have the same issue with my Ocean Pulse on my 28g. It turns on both pumps after a power up even if you have an interval set. It should go back to a interval state. I think JBJ is correcting this in future models based on an email I got from them.

I have a ReefKeeper2 that I am going to use a couple channels for the wave maker function. This should avoid the sump flush from both pumps powering on. I am waiting to set up my ATO after I set up the RK2 for this very reason.

so how long does it take for the wavemaker to return to the settings u guys previously set?
It will default to both pumps on until you manually set the timer to the maximum 6 minute cycle. Even if you always leave it at the 6 minute rate, when the timer resets, both pumps are on until you mess with the dial.
Hey Moadster, wonderful tank so far! Keep up the good work!!

Question: do you have an auto-top off setup? If so, which chamber do you have it setup in? I currently have a JBJ auto-top off in my 24g nano (planning out the 28g setup) and was worried it wouldn't fit in the middle chamber with the filter canister in the middle. Thanks for any help!

Thanks for the compliment, I'll do my best!

I don't have an ATO setup yet, but my sink with my installed R.O. faucet is like 15 feet from my tank so I just take a cup of RO water over to the tank when I feed my critters every day. Plus I now have a chiller in the bottom of my cabinet so I don't really have any room for a reservoir to hold the R.O. top-off water anymore.

• 3 weeks later...

I am setting up my jbj 28 right now, Your thread has been really helpful and I am copying some of your ideas.

I was wondering on warm days how often does the chiller cycle on and off? Also how is the noise of the chiller?

I am trying to keep my tank as quiet as I can.

Thanks,

Tom

• 4 weeks later...

Great tank man. Can you post more pictures of the fuge? and more info on what equip you used and where? So I can buy the same stuff and set it up the same way? Thanks. P.S. you know of any cheaper places to buy a 28g? I was gonna buy a 24g with the upgrade lighting but i would end up paying the same price, so i might as well buy a 28g hopefully someplace cheep.

Moadster,

Your tank is totally awesome! I'm kinda copying you too! I'm extremely new to the hobby and I know very little. Your thread has been very educational;-)

I don't think I would be doing many of your modifications though, b/c of lack of experience, but I have one quick question. Why did you add the mod lighting kit? What type of life does this allow you to have in the tank?

Happy Holidays and Best Wishes:-)

LH

lbaskball...

If you are anywhere close to the Fountain Valley, CA area then you should check out Pacific Reef Fountain Valley. I just bought the same tank there for 499+ tax and they have a couple of more left. At least the idea is supporting a LFS other than inet stores.

lbaskball...

If you are anywhere close to the Fountain Valley, CA area then you should check out Pacific Reef Fountain Valley. I just bought the same tank there for 499+ tax and they have a couple of more left. At least the idea is supporting a LFS other than inet stores.

marinedepot.com is giving the stand for free! Is the LFS doing the same? If so then I'm all for supporting the local LFS.

marinedepot.com is giving the stand for free! Is the LFS doing the same? If so then I'm all for supporting the local LFS.
Your right, I dont think the LFS is doing the same although I would go with LFS support because in case there are problems with the tank, you can take it back to the LFS to get it replaced ASAP whereas online you cant..BUT..I ended up buying from online due to:1)FREE Stand (worth close to $200)2)NO TAX
lbaskball...If you are anywhere close to the Fountain Valley, CA area then you should check out Pacific Reef Fountain Valley. I just bought the same tank there for 499+ tax and they have a couple of more left. At least the idea is supporting a LFS other than inet stores.
Thanks for the info. I live in Los Angeles. Im not sure how far Fountain Valley is from there.

Moadster, I have been floating around these forums for a while trying to decide if I want to get back into this hobby after being out of it for 10 years or so. After following your thread, I am definitely ready. Just prearing my wife for what is about to consume all of my free time. Great job and keep the info coming.

Silver DC5 TypeS

Tank looks real good. I just setup my 24g nanocube a month ago as well. The progress looks great. I need to get a chiller as well for mine. I might pick up that current one you got if there's another good deal on ebay. I'm local as well and can pick it up.

Your right, I dont think the LFS is doing the same although I would go with LFS support because in case there are problems with the tank, you can take it back to the LFS to get it replaced ASAP whereas online you cant..BUT..I ended up buying from online due to:1)FREE Stand (worth close to $200)2)NO TAXThanks for the info. I live in Los Angeles. Im not sure how far Fountain Valley is from there.

lbaskball... Pacific Reef Torrance was also having the sale of $499 and I think you can haggle regarding the tax. Either way, the tax would still be less than the shipping. Im glad to hear another to join the JBJ NC 28g HQI club. ;)

is it possible to plumb and external fuge into this tank?

If so how would You go about it??

Also do any of you feel as though the pump or skimmer needs "upgraded"

this seems like an awesome setup!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived