Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Just opened my new JBJ 28g HQI, time to start my new project.

Moadster

i take it you ordered your rock through Pacific East Aquaculture?

more people should take advantage of their special on LR right now as its an incredible deal and they can hand pick you the rock you want

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i take it you ordered your rock through Pacific East Aquaculture?

more people should take advantage of their special on LR right now as its an incredible deal and they can hand pick you the rock you want

No, I have a buddy that is a distributor of Sea Dwelling Creatures in LA. Fish and LR for dirt cheap!

OONGRATS ON THE ROCKS THEY LOOK GREAT PLEASE POST PICS ONCE YOU HAVE THE ROCKS IN THE TANK. Remember take your time in curing the rocks it pays off......

Thanks, yes I plan on introducing them this evening, I just added the LS about an hour ago and I'm waiting on things to calm down before I place them.

Ha,

i was just there yesterday (Sea Dwelling Creatures). They do have decent prices and you don't need to pay for shipping.

Try and PM this guy Epicfish. He bought a bunch of them in a group-buy a while ago and i think he has some extra ones.

What are the dimensions for the back chambers? and what are you going to put in them and where? also are you going to get a chiller?

The back chambers aren't that large, but I plan on consolidating the activated carbon and mechanical filter then removing the dividing grate and using the remaining 2 compartments for chaeto algae. Then I am going to cut out a square piece in the filter box and replace it with a panel of clear acrylic and put my light back there.

As far as the chiller goes, I keep my house at 78 most of the time, and the highest I have seen the tank go so far is 80.6. For now it seems to be ok, but if the temps rise past that I will. I shouldn't have to worry about it till next summer cause the temps from here on out should be pretty nice in San Diego :)

So the LS finally settled down enough to add my LR on Friday night. It is still kinda cloudy today because I blasted the rocks with a baster today, but they still look nice. I also haven't really aquascaped yet, I placed them in there how I thought would look nice, but I think its pretty crappy right now. It's also tough to figure out how to place 40+ lbs of LR in a 28g tank.

I also just did my first water test, PH is 8.2, Ammonia is 4.0 ppm, and Nitrites are at 0 so far, but I expect that to start rising quickly...

14k Halide and 2X18w Actinic's

t70lmb.jpg

dqg0uq.jpg

29w39f5.jpg

1ta81s.jpg

2cd8wsk.jpg

33kt3ll.jpg

And under just Actinic's.....

3465clh.jpg

312gxvq.jpg

2wqu2hk.jpg

My vote would be to do a water change 30% to get the ammonia level down and try to save some of the critters on the rock. May lengthen the cycle but would be better for the life.

Just sayin, I'm sure your'ss get other opinions.

My vote would be to do a water change 30% to get the ammonia level down and try to save some of the critters on the rock. May lengthen the cycle but would be better for the life.

Just sayin, I'm sure your'ss get other opinions.

I'm going to test it right now and see where the ammonia levels are at and I will if they haven't come down at all...

Just did my water test again, here are the results.

PH 7.9

Ammonia 6.0 PPM

Nitrite 0 still :-/

I'm in the process of doing a 20% water change so we'll see how much it helps.

On a side note, my temps went to 83.5 today when I didn't run the A/C, but my condo gets to around 80 when I dont so I guess that can be expected. I am going to mount a 4" 120v fan pointed along the back of the aquarium to see how much it helps, if it doesn't then I will prolly start running the A/C at 78 untill it cools down again (hopefully in the next couple weeks), then I will probably consider a chiller for next summer.

On a side note, my temps went to 83.5 today when I didn't run the A/C, but my condo gets to around 80 when I dont so I guess that can be expected. I am going to mount a 4" 120v fan pointed along the back of the aquarium to see how much it helps, if it doesn't then I will prolly start running the A/C at 78 untill it cools down again (hopefully in the next couple weeks), then I will probably consider a chiller for next summer.

How many hours did it take for it to get to that temp? Are you running the halide and the pc lamps?

I am running the halide for about 8 hours and the pc's for about 12. It got to that temp by about 3 PM when it was turned on at 10 AM.

Just did a 25% water change and my ammonia has gone from 6 ppm to 4-5....now all I need is my nitrite spike!!!

nice tank! i dont like black sand, but other than that i love your plans for it etc... but cycle for longer than 6 days dude! even I, the most impatient bastard in the world, cycled for a month on my BC 8.

nice tank! i dont like black sand, but other than that i love your plans for it etc... but cycle for longer than 6 days dude! even I, the most impatient bastard in the world, cycled for a month on my BC 8.

Yea, I was expecting the indo-pacific sand to have a bit more black in it, I'm not sure how much I like the penguin look, but I guess it's too late to change and I don't think it looks too bad.

Haha, I'm not in a hurry to finish the cycle, just get it started. B) I'm sure it will take almost a month, there was alot of dead stuff on my rocks. I still did what I could to scrub off most of it, but you can't ever get it all.

My 28g would heat up about the same to about 83 with my room running about 76-78 after 5-6 hours.I rigged up a 120mm 12V fan to blow into the back area and it keeps it cool. Its just taped down to blow down into the center chamber, ghetto but it works. I've been playing with the voltage to slow the fan to to minimize evap and noise. I'm currently running it at 6v. I'm gonna make a mount to stand it upright and blow across the entire back area and see how that does.Oh, about your lockline setup on your pump outlets. What size stuff did you use, 1/2" or 3/4"?
Yea, I was expecting the indo-pacific sand to have a bit more black in it, I'm not sure how much I like the penguin look, but I guess it's too late to change and I don't think it looks too bad.
YOur indo-pacific is a lot blacker than mine. Mine is more white with black spotting.
My 28g would heat up about the same to about 83 with my room running about 76-78 after 5-6 hours.I rigged up a 120mm 12V fan to blow into the back area and it keeps it cool. Its just taped down to blow down into the center chamber, ghetto but it works. I've been playing with the voltage to slow the fan to to minimize evap and noise. I'm currently running it at 6v. I'm gonna make a mount to stand it upright and blow across the entire back area and see how that does.Oh, about your lockline setup on your pump outlets. What size stuff did you use, 1/2" or 3/4"? Your indo-pacific is a lot blacker than mine. Mine is more white with black spotting.

I am going to try that tonight, I have 2 different 120v fans that I can use. The lockline fittings are 1/2". And my sand is half indo-pacific and half tahitian moon. (which btw is the dirtiest stuff on the face of the Earth :angry: )

Just did my fan mod, I used a 100mm 120v .13 A fan, and mounted it with a simple T bracket to the aquarium with double sided foam tape and hot glue. I mounted it so if some reason the glue lets go, it will fall off the back of my tank and not in it :-X. I used the less powerful of the 2 fans that I have, and I put it on the timer to run with my halide so I will see how it does tomorrow. Today I hit almost 84 degrees :-o.

33vmgk4.jpg

33o1hsz.jpg

Fan mod seemed to work great! In the 2 hours it was on, it dropped the temperature over 2.5 degrees to 81.5! Now hopefully all my water wont disappear.

Been following your progress with new JBJ HQI. Mine is due to arrive 10/05. Is that the stock skimmer in the last pic? It looks to be skimming away with great foam production! I am debating ordering the actinic mod from Nanotuners. Can you tell if they put out much heat by themselves. Worried about increased heat added to the MH. I do plan to do a fan mod also.

Archived