Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Yardboy's Jetties Nano

yardboy

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This tank is seriously impressive. Now I am completely sold on my attempt to recreate a Florida biotope in my 20L. Too bad I can't dive for mine...

• 2 weeks later...
on_ice... I think I will be making a trip down to Jupiter before the summer is over. I've lived in FL all my life (30+ years now) and had no idea how much of this stuff was so close to me. I always thought i had to go down to the bahamas or something just to see anything cool. I guess not!

Ive been doing ALOT of tank diving the past few days and everyday I see something new I havent seen for the past 8 years diving here!

AdriftQuasar

I think this might be the coolest tank I have ever seen. Makes me really wish I lived near the sea. I'm about as inland as you can get in the U.S. I really want to try my hands at a biotope tank though, but I can't decide what.

dahliaheartsyou
I think this might be the coolest tank I have ever seen. Makes me really wish I lived near the sea. I'm about as inland as you can get in the U.S. I really want to try my hands at a biotope tank though, but I can't decide what.

+10000

so cool and natural.

as far as the sea blade/gorg/sea fan...

is there anyone you have found to be more hardy/easier to feed...?

is there any advice you could give me on them?

I want to make a biotope with a few of them, but am sorda scared :scarry:

THANKS!

great tank!!!

I can't believe I just found this thread. I've snorkeled at that same jetty like five times!!!!!! It's pretty sweet.

You need to get one of those blennies.

gulfsurfer101

Your tank is looking badass man. I gave up on my ten gallon biotype for gulf marine life here because of my limited stocking options and how lame it is here. Nothing but grass weeds and unwanted crabs here, nothing like those polyps and cool looking fans and SPS looking things that seem to be growing wildly in your tank. After seeing this tank again kinda makes me wanna pack my stuff up and head back out to Florida.

I went through your thread again and saw that you did have one of those blennies.

I was snorkeling on the jetty the last Tuesday in July. I saw these brown fish. I couldn't tell what they were but their bellies were enlarged and a pale white color. I saw yellow fish that looked like tangs. I saw dark purple almost black fish that looked like tangs. This last time I snorkeled there, I was pleasantly surprised to see the anemones, sponges, as well as the LPS and SPS corals there. Only on my last visit did I go out to the end of the jetty where I saw the Queen Angels. I can't wait to go back.

I guess I'm a tourist too. But I'm cool

--willyboy

Thanks for the comments guys, I really appreciate your checking my thread out. This tank was started as an experiment in using typical FW filtration and as a biotope for the local jetties. I've been surprised at how much pleasure it's given me. It really does remind me of the jetties, though as anyone who's tried to keep a biotope has found, there are always things that are common in the wild that are not going to be so conducive to keeping in a small glass box. The Beau Gregory and blennies being a case in point. They are very common at the jetties, but are way too aggressive to keep in a 10 gallon tank, so I have to seek out only the really calm and small stuff. Also, the jetties changes with the seasons and even daily. You just never know what you'll see when you go there. Willyboy, I'd urge you to go again when you have a chance. Every tide brings in something new. While stingrays are fairly common, to the chagrin of the bathers (stepping on one isn't fun) the coolest thing I've seen there (except for maybe the manatees) are manta rays. They are so fast, filter feeding on zooplankton, they practically fly out of the water. Also, the inside and outside of the channel is like two different worlds. You said you had to swim out to the end to see Queen Angels, but they travel the full length of the jetties, but only on the channel side, or deep water on the Gulf side.

Gulfsurfer, I know what you mean about the limited possibilities. I'm from Mississippi and just that small difference in latitude makes a big difference in the marine life there to here. If you get a chance, go diving a bit farther than inshore. Most of the life in my tank requires a hard substrate to exist on. That's why the jetties (huge limestone boulders) are such an attractant. The same off shore. Nothing there but sand unless you find a wreck or local divers and fisherman place artificial reefs (old pieces of concrete or sunken ships) which become major marinelife attractors. I'll bet it's the same off the Texas coast. You do have your diving license don't you. If not, GET THEM! The most important piece of equipment I have in understanding my tanks better!

• 4 weeks later...

Eeeeks! Time flies when you're having fun!

I've been doing some serious work on my 150 and frag tanks so haven't posted on one of the best tanks I have so thought I better try and catch up. Lots of things have happened to it in the last month. It became almost famous, getting featured tank on NR and was one of the subjects of a talk on biotopes at MACNA. I suppose with all that it'simportant to keep it going. Several times I almost moved it to a 20L, mainly due to the issues with scratched glass on the cheap 10g tank. Imagine what I'd do to an acrylic tank!

Anyway, knowing that I'd never be able to move it and have it look nearly the same, and since it's doing so well, I've decided to keep it until in my old age I will it to my children! Well, maybe. It is kinda neat to think of it going for years. And "they" used to say a reef tank couldn't be kept in a small tank. Well, I guess we beat that idea in the ground a long time ago!

Anyways, here's another growth shot of the purple rimmed monti that is doing beyond all expecations in this tank. Hell, even I would have said it couldn't be done 6 months ago.

Montiporaadj090708.jpg

I know that there are quite a few peps on NR that are considering careers in marine biology. Just to give you a taste of what you are in for, here's a shot of....well, I'm sure if you have any interest in marine scatology you can tell that the cucumber seems to be getting plenty of fiber.

Scat090708.jpg

The anemone shrimps that I got from Reeftopia down in Key West haven't taken with any of the 4 kinds of anemones in this tank, preferring the company of gorgonians. Easier to snatch flake food when Genie feeds the tank, I guess!

anemoneshrimpongorgonian.jpg

Reeftopia told me that the shrimps prefer condys or ricordia's. Knowing I don't have sufficient light for condy's I decided to move a blue ricordia into the tank. It's still small, and has been in too intense of light for awhile, but maybe will expand out soon.

BlueRicordiapost.jpg

I've found another hitchhiker in the tank. About a month ago I moved another gorgonian I had in a bigger tank into this one. It's got zoanthids in the base, all from the Keys, so to give the nano a bit more color.

Unfortunately, in that same tank is a Pocillipora damicornis that has a bad habit of scattering babies all around. I didn't notice it for awhile, but it's finally grown to a size that it's easier to see.

I guess I'll be seeing a lionfish in here before long. :D

Pocilliporahitchhikerpost.jpg

Montiporaadj090708.jpg

:o Rediculous! Is the tank still fluctuating between 60's and 80's? My coldwater tank may be getting some tropical additions soon. B)

Tank is amazing as ever, and congrats on the TOTM!

-Jamie

• 2 weeks later...
Eeeeks! Time flies when you're having fun!

I've been doing some serious work on my 150 and frag tanks so haven't posted on one of the best tanks I have so thought I better try and catch up. Lots of things have happened to it in the last month. It became almost famous, getting featured tank on NR and was one of the subjects of a talk on biotopes at MACNA. I suppose with all that it'simportant to keep it going. Several times I almost moved it to a 20L, mainly due to the issues with scratched glass on the cheap 10g tank. Imagine what I'd do to an acrylic tank!

Anyway, knowing that I'd never be able to move it and have it look nearly the same, and since it's doing so well, I've decided to keep it until in my old age I will it to my children! Well, maybe. It is kinda neat to think of it going for years. And "they" used to say a reef tank couldn't be kept in a small tank. Well, I guess we beat that idea in the ground a long time ago!

Anyways, here's another growth shot of the purple rimmed monti that is doing beyond all expecations in this tank. Hell, even I would have said it couldn't be done 6 months ago.

Montiporaadj090708.jpg

I know that there are quite a few peps on NR that are considering careers in marine biology. Just to give you a taste of what you are in for, here's a shot of....well, I'm sure if you have any interest in marine scatology you can tell that the cucumber seems to be getting plenty of fiber.

Scat090708.jpg

The anemone shrimps that I got from Reeftopia down in Key West haven't taken with any of the 4 kinds of anemones in this tank, preferring the company of gorgonians. Easier to snatch flake food when Genie feeds the tank, I guess!

anemoneshrimpongorgonian.jpg

Reeftopia told me that the shrimps prefer condys or ricordia's. Knowing I don't have sufficient light for condy's I decided to move a blue ricordia into the tank. It's still small, and has been in too intense of light for awhile, but maybe will expand out soon.

BlueRicordiapost.jpg

I've found another hitchhiker in the tank. About a month ago I moved another gorgonian I had in a bigger tank into this one. It's got zoanthids in the base, all from the Keys, so to give the nano a bit more color.

Unfortunately, in that same tank is a Pocillipora damicornis that has a bad habit of scattering babies all around. I didn't notice it for awhile, but it's finally grown to a size that it's easier to see.

I guess I'll be seeing a lionfish in here before long. :D

Pocilliporahitchhikerpost.jpg

wow, monti has grown REALLY NICELY!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Guys! I'm glad you like the tank, and yes, the tank has no heater or fan and does get warmer and colder than I would have thought a Montipora could tolerate. But then, this whole experiment has been surprising. I would have never thought a Monti could handle the 1) nutrient level, 2) lower light level, or 3) lower level of flow. And it's looking better than ever, with a growth pattern I've not been able to achieve on any other monti I've got or have ever had.

I just got back from a week long business trip, but tomorrow I will take some pics to post. The rim is a real nice purple now.

Okay, I finally got a pic of the Monti. For whatever reason, it seems to be growing even faster now, and has begun to show it's purple rim

Montipora2adj100508post.jpg

HeyLookItsCaps

still readin bud, ive loved this tank from the beginning.

so noble of you to do this and make something out of what others take for granted.

now my main question is, how much for a frag of the magic monti?! ;)

Awesome thread. Just read it all. This is my first post here. So I guess I am a noob -_- . I have recently had a 55 gal that my wife had to take down, I am currently deployed overseas. But she did happen to get a BC 14 that I can't wait to get home to see. I have done some collecting off the jetties in Jax. I don't think we have as much diversity as you seem to have though. I really need to get my divers license so I can check out the offshore reefs. I hope you keep up the good work on this and best of luck. I will be tagging along from now on.

still readin bud, ive loved this tank from the beginning.

so noble of you to do this and make something out of what others take for granted.

now my main question is, how much for a frag of the magic monti?! ;)

When I get ready to frag it you'll be the first, but......... not sure when.

Awesome thread. Just read it all. This is my first post here. So I guess I am a noob -_- . I have recently had a 55 gal that my wife had to take down, I am currently deployed overseas. But she did happen to get a BC 14 that I can't wait to get home to see. I have done some collecting off the jetties in Jax. I don't think we have as much diversity as you seem to have though. I really need to get my divers license so I can check out the offshore reefs. I hope you keep up the good work on this and best of luck. I will be tagging along from now on.

Ace, welcome to NR.com! You be careful over there and come back so you can check our your wife's BC 14!

I've not dove in the Atlantic except in the Keys, not sure what is in JAX either but certainly you should get certified and check it out. You won't regret it and it'll add a whole new dimension to reefkeeping.

Thanks for the kind words. This tank is just cruising along, basically weekly water changes, pruning of macro and an occasional cleaning of the glass. Other than that, it's just sitting and watching it. I'm trying to get a shot of my blue-clawed pistol shrimp. He's been in the tank since the beginning, but has been extremely shy until recently. Not sure what changed in his attitude but I've been seeing him out lately.

I'll look forward to a thread of your BC14 as soon as you can get one. Or get your wife to join and she can post and we can all enjoy it.

Thanks so much for taking the time to post to my thread. Good luck with your deployment and we'll all be hoping you can get home soon.

Archived