SaltCritters.com

Yardboy's Jetties Nano

yardboy

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been postponing this story about a month but anyways......

The power cord for the jetties nano was on an outside circuit with a GFCI on the front porch. Christmas came and we had the standard light parade outside, you know the "circle around the Palm trees in Florida kitsch" and a bad azz storm came and shorted the lights, throwing the GFCI when we were gone to Jacksonvlle (an overnight trip). When e got back I immediately went into the tank room to look around and noticed spaghetti worms climbing up the glass. Arrrgggghhh.

Long story short, we lost the rusty and bridled goby pairs and the shrimps, but nothing else. Did a quick water change and after a few days everything was cool again, with the exception of the fish. I loved those guys, Diane had turned me on to them. Kinda bummed me and I almost took the tank down, but decided instead to move everything into a 20L that had ben set up as a frag tank for about a year. I cleared it out, (moved to the Super Ghetto Frag System) and reset the tank as close as I could do it (which wasn't very close) into the longer tank. Not quite finished ytet, but here's a FTS to show where it's at. Hope no one is too upset. It was a great tank, but everyhing was growing so well, that they'd grown themselves out of a home. I've fragged heavily on everything but the montipora, and traded and sold the frags.

FTS012509.jpg

Here's the monti in it's new home in my 150 gallon reef.

P1010003adjforpsot.jpg

The longer you have fish, the more you become attached to them. I hated so badly losing those guys. I've thought about getting some for the 20 but not sure if I want the same species. I'm almost afraid to go look on Ken's SeaLife site. Wonder if he has any more of those warty corralimorphs?

I have to say though that the Montipora's happier. After only a few weeks he's grown quite a bit, and since he's in a higher flow area, he's got many more swirling plates forming. I'm beginning to think that the multi-plate swirling morphology is more genetic than environmental.

Thanks for not flaming me guys. I almost didn't confess it, but it's just one of those things. When I look at beautiful tank set up for years, I realize how much luck is as important as skill.

Ouch, sorry about that mishap. :(

Looks good though. I didn't know you had a 150g tank..

My addiction is really complex. I also dive extensively and have a home in the Indo-Pacific, just because I can't get enough of my eight tanks!

gulfsurfer101

Your tank is still kick ass and I love than monty. I've been trying to find where in your thread it first makes an entrance but to no avail. I'm working on getting transferred over to West Palm Beach or Homestead after the project my company is doing here is complete somtime late this year. Once I get there I plan on getting my diver's and collector's licsence to enjoy the wildlife as much as I do hear. I plan on getting ascuba trained and checking some local rigs to see what I find here in the springtime. Do me a favor and put me down for a frag of that monti cap when frag time comes and I will hook you up with whatever collector's monti I can frag from at the time.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow I just read through all 12 (?!) pages of this thread, and all I have to say is... AMAZING! :D Your response has been great, your posts well thought out, and the tank was beautiful. Inspirational to say the least, too bad for the 'crash'. I'm sure it'll grow back. Just a thought though... your lighting looks really blue, and the light on the nano wasn't nearly as blue. Do you think it will affect anything in the long term?

Hmmm, I hadn't thought about it but now that you mentioned it I will likely rethink it. Truthfully, The 20L originally had 2-65W PC's over it, one of which is an actinic. I added 2-24W T-5HO's, ATI Blue Plus and an 03 actinic. I think I'll switch out the PC actinic first, then change out the other PC since it's nearing the end of its life and though its a 10000K, replace it with a 10000K which will be brighter since it'll be new.

The water at the jetties varies from crystal clear to very turbid, but quite shallow. Likely most of the stuff I'm growing does prefer brighter light. On the other hand, I've been fragging some of the gorgonians and they encrust onto plugs amazingly fast.

Gulfsurfer, I'll definitely put you on the list for a frag. I've been quite hesitant to frag it yet. It had encrusted three rocks in the nano, and somehow I managed to move it to my 150 without knocking a single frag off of it. That's really a first for me. I once moved a Pink birdsnest out of my 150 and dropped it on the floor and it shattered into a thousand pieces. I had frags of that guy for over a year. One of them is now back in the tank, branchng out again.

The first mention of the monty is on Post #85. The only way I figure it got into the tank is I have a fair sized prop system, with a half barrel sump full of live rock. There's a basket in the sump full of rubble, some of which has dead frags from when I clean the prop system out. Apparently, I took one of the pieces of rubble and wedged it under a bigger rock in the jetties tank to level it up and it turned out that the frag was not dead, but had survived in the sump rubble for some time before it got another chance on life. Weird thing is I have no colonies of that coral, so it must have come as a trade with someone else, so I really know nothing about it's history. All I do know is it must be tough. Maybe when I got it, it bleached under the metal halides of the prop system and I thought it was dead. It apparently doesn't have the need of high light as it grew into that colony under 2-36W PC's, and now it's on the bottom of a 150 with 250W EVC 20000K's and growing even faster. To me it's quite a miracle. I have spotted several plates that are being shaded. They have growth on their edges, but I think I may frag it there and get it started again.

You have an incredibly well thought out thread going. Many kudos (sorry about your fish) and keep the good stuff rolling, you seem to have alot of it...

one thing about the biotope that i love are the colors... i've almost always thought of American reefs as brown and not nearly as colorful as say a Hawaiian or Philippine reef, but your's has a beautiful vibrant charm to it, I'd love to see more pictures when you have the time :)

• 1 month later...

Sorry I missed your post PBUEHH, I've been out of the country, diving, and away from the Internet most of the time. The new home of the Jetties nano is doing very well, and I will post pics as soon as I take some, but I do have some cool stuff to report.

While the Jetties transitions from season to season, some periods of it I don't see much of, as I don't have the cajones to do much diving in the winter, though I know it would be cool to do so (literally cool).

After having been to the Philippines diving for several weeks, I got back with the urge to get in the water, so I went down to the jetties and told myself it wasn't so cold. (it was about 65) and plunged on in. Yes, it was cold, but yes, the appearance of the jetties was different, with many things I hadn't seen before. I didn't bring my camera, figuring that coping with the cold, a camera, and collecting jars was just too much.

Anyway, I did catch these guys,

P1010005somethingweird2.jpg

P1010005somethingweird1.jpg

and which likely turned out to be Phylliroe atlantica, a pelagic nudibranch and predator on jellyfish

This guy I've still not figured out, can't get past the idea it looks like a tiny purple turnip, but swims amazingly fast.

P1010007purpleturnip.jpg

I was surprised to discover this mantis shrimp (probably just past larval stage) freeswimming at about 5 feet. I captured him and brought him home too.

P1010002mantis2.jpg

And this is his new home, for now. No, he will not be going in the jetties nano. I put some rock for him to get under, but note in the bottom of the pic, he's chosen to make tunnels in the sand instead. The piece of mysis I put in disappeared, so I'm hoping he's eating. I may sacrifice a stomatella to see if it keeps him alive.

mantispico032709.jpg

Awesome stuff! Those nudibranchs are crazy... are you keeping them, or just brought them home for a picture? Very cool mantis too. Any more tank pics?

Awesome stuff! Those nudibranchs are crazy... are you keeping them, or just brought them home for a picture? Very cool mantis too. Any more tank pics?

I hadn't brought my camera to the beach to take pics, but I always bring a collection jar! After shooting some pics of them I brought the nudibranchs back to the beach. They're predators of jellyfish and lord do we have lots of those in the summer.

I'd planned on going diving again this past weekend, but as everyone knows, the weather deteriorated and it has been double red flags for the past week. Poor Spring Breakers. It's a wonder there haven't been more drownings.

Last fall on one of my last dives there of the year, I found a neat cerianthus anemone. I wasn't prepared to catch it, will probably require a small shovel to dig it out, but I've wanted to get one all winter. I thought it might be difficult to find one, as this one was the only one I'd ever seen there. This year, at this time, they are very common,possibly seasonal. Forecast is bad for this weekend again, but I'll be preparing to nab one as soon as I can get back in the water.

New tank pics soon. I've been trying to get my sexies situated.

P1010009ADJ.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
lacassiere101

that tank my friend is isane.. :o and your dedication with those rocks is crazy. :bowdown: but one question how does that kung pou crab women catch those crabs :lol:

that tank my friend is isane.. :o and your dedication with those rocks is crazy. :bowdown: but one question how does that kung pou crab women catch those crabs :lol:

:D:D

Ya gotta be fast to get one past the Kung Pao Crab Woman. She's the youngest of a large family and if you weren't quick with with the chopsticks you didn't eat. Those darn crabs didn't stand a chance.

Thanks for the kind comments. I've been doing more diving and tank maintenance than I have picture taking. Gotta get some posted. The tank, after moving to bigger quarters (the 20L) is doing very well. I recently added a Porites grown out by Propagator from a small frag found on the back of a snail. Same way I got my Star coral, except the snail shell's still under there!

hey do you know if the shovel nose lobster is reef safe? My neighbor found one...we live below tampa. But the lobster is only 1 inch long. I have a 29gallon biocube with 2 clowns, 1 yashi goby, 1 yellow watchman goby, and 1 fairy wrasse.

What do you think? Can I put him in my tank?

I think these lobsters are common in your area.thats why im asking you.

Thanks

Yes, they are common here, and they get quite big. Big enough to eat, so I'd think too big to put in any reasonably sized tank, and especially a nano! Cool find though. How about posting a link so we can check it out!

Archived