Coral Vue Hydros

Yardboy's Jetties Nano

yardboy

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today was such a beautiful day. It's been rainy for so long. Couldn't resist going snorkeling though we knew the water would be bad. Caught the high tide at 8:30, so vis was as good as it was gonna be, and it was bad, maybe 2-3 ft. Still, had to go hunting. After about an hour came out cold (water is still not 70) with a few things to show.

P1010003.jpg

They're all happily ensconced in the jetties tank, which I still need to take pics of. It's looking good, but I guess I'm embarassed because I've managed to put non-jetties stuff in it. It's Prop's fault. I got a Porites from him but "other" stuff too and the long-tentacled Sarco looks cool in there.

those redish orange nems are probaly sunburst anemones which ive caught in numbers but under good lighting they color up and spread fast only problem is that the detach and float around.

heres a pic

P2150053.jpg

Nice anemones :)

From personal experience I know that finding any inverts take time.

This tank totally inspires me to get my Tidepool biotope fully loaded with inverts.

• 3 weeks later...

This thread is amazing! You are so lucky you are right near a jetty. I need to learn how to snorkel/scuba so I can go somewhere cool like this.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Guys. Sorry I haven't taken any shots of the tank recently. It's doing great, but I've been using my camera for diving and haven't used it for the tank.

I recently started collecting data on different stuff I find. I went diving today and came back with a very interesting gorgonian that I'd never seen at the jetties. Oh, and for anyone getting ready to dive the jetties, here's a marked map along with some shots of the gorgonian.

StAndrewsJettiesmarked.jpg

Gorgonianofsomekind.jpg

Gorgonianofsomekindcloseup.jpg

It was almost high tide, just a slight movement into the bay. Lots of activity in the channel. Visibility wasn't great, maybe 15 feet, but I managed to get a silhouette of these members of a large school of manta rays cruising by.

MantaRaysmovingthroughthechannel.jpg

i wish i still lived by the ocean... even santa monica's pollution beats landlocked. :tears:

• 2 weeks later...

Heres a good website for you yardboy.

www.fishbase.org

You'll have to know what fish you're wondering about but it almost always shows a map of where the fish are found.

Very helpful website for biotopers

Thanks notwithit, I'll book that.

The gorgonian is probably a Carijoa riisei, nonphotosynthetic, but likely to be very easy to grow. I've got several frags of it and they seem to be eating Golden Pearls (5-50um). This is their second week in quarantine. If I see any indication of growth I'll have to put a frag in the jetties nano.

If you google it you'll find that they are not loved by all. Evidently they've shown up in Hawaii as hitchhikers, and are causing some grief to the local populations of coral. There is some question if it's the same species as the Caribbean, but that's further evidence that they ought to be easy to grow!

• 2 months later...

It's been awhile since I posted pics of my jetties nano. I've done a few things to it, changed from a standard bulkhead overflow to a cassette skimmer

bulkheadoverflow.jpg

cassetteoverflow.jpg

I did this while the tank was running. I was a bit afraid of the curing process of silicone messing up the water chemistry, but no change in pH. I drip kalk continuously so it likey just converted the acid to acetate

While the tank isn't purely a jetties tank any more, I still have plenty of things that are found there. This years seems to be the year for these small red flower anemones, and they are quite hardy. I've also gotten pretty good at finding red mini-brittle stars, though they quickly disappear into the crevices of the tank.

Here's a shot of a pink colt coral and one of the more accessible photographically red anemones.

Thanks for looking.

coltandredanemone.jpg

I can't get enough of this tank. This is probably one of the best tank threads on NR!

BTW! Those little red nems are incredible!

I can't get enough of this tank. This is probably one of the best tank threads on NR!

BTW! Those little red nems are incredible!

+1, much too long between updates. This little tank rocks!!!!

Thanks Guys. I'm glad you like it. It's a pleasure for me.

I had two teeth pulled today, (Sigh, goodbye old friends) and the assistant told me as I left, "Go home and look at your corals" (My wife is the Hygienist there) so clearly I have a reputation of spending a lot of time looking at it.

Awhile back I attended my first frag swap and came home with these blue polyps. I've heard different things about them, from them taking over to spawning in the tank, but for sure I've had bad luck with clove polyps in the past. these had bubble algae on them, which I removed, and some wiry macroalgae that worried me until I saw a blueleg hermit harvesting it. I'd be interested in ya'll's experiences with them.

BlueClavularia080209.jpg

Here's one of the anemone shrimp, who spends time everywhere but in the anemones. He's just eaten a meal of "Golden pearls, 5-50u size, which I feed the gorgs but the shrimp scores too. I've got a deal working on a rose bubbletip that's real small. Maybe the shrimp will take up residence there.

anemoneshrimpingorgonian2.jpg

You have some stuff i want so bad. I now hate you. Awesome tank! i have been awaiting an update for such a long time!. Seriously, awesome tank.

Archived