Pod Your Reef

The 40 Breeder's Tank Thread

sammy113

How often do you guys with 40 breeders perform water changes and how much water is changed each time?

I do a 5 gallon bucket once a week.

Everyone's tank looks awesome! Quick question. I'm currently setting up my 40g breeder and it's in the process of cycling. I have ~45 lbs of cured rock from Premium Aquatics that was air shipped via Southwest airlines. Total time out of water was probably max 10 hrs. I'm 5 days in and the Ammon peaked at .5 and is now 0. Nitrite is .5 currently and I suspect it will be to 0 in a few days given the relatively small peak in Ammon.

I have about 12 lbs of LR, Clown, sand sifting goby, and firefish, a couple of hermits, few nass, and 5 astreas in AP12. I'm going to rescape with my better pieces from nano, perhaps removing some that is in now cycling.

Question is when, and in what order, and how long for transition...I sure some or most of you have gone through transitioning tanks, so your thoughts would be very much appreciated.

FishFreak77

Very nice tank shortie! I want to post my 40 breeder once I get some new lights and more corals. Do you guys think a 4x 39w t-5 fixture would be fine for softies and maybe some frogspawn and blastos? I currently have a 192w CF but like the variety you can have with the t-5.

Very nice tank shortie! I want to post my 40 breeder once I get some new lights and more corals. Do you guys think a 4x 39w t-5 fixture would be fine for softies and maybe some frogspawn and blastos? I currently have a 192w CF but like the variety you can have with the t-5.

That should definitely be enough light for those corals depending on what bulbs you use.

I have 2 T5's that supplement my Halide. I'm currently running a Blue+ and a Aquablue which both have very high par numbers. Both of those bulbs paired with daylight bulb or two should be nice. You should check with TJ Burton. He's running JUST T5's on his 40. He's running 6 bulbs, but he's also keeping SPS.

I'm in the planing stages of setting up my 40 breeder, and I have recently discovered google scetchup. It seems some others on here are already using it,but if not, I'd check it out. It's basically a 3d modeling program for those of us who can't work autocad (or afford it!). Anyways, i just got done modeling an AGA 40breeder and thought I'd post a link to it in case anyone else wants to download it to plan their tank out.

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/det...95d3dd9a9ff70e6

A very cool program for sure. Makes me look like i know what I'm doing!

Oh we're getting there... I just wanted to post the model online that didn't have any holes so that people could put them wherever they wanted when they download the model. I'll post up a pic of my finished model including stand and canopy when i get done with it. I'm thinking I'm going to end up with at least 5 holes right now, all in the back panel! We'll see how that goes.

Here's the stand framing, not quite finished.

Standframe.jpg

Edited by Xytrix01
Wow, very nice tank tj and thanks for the help. I'm assuming that you're using the current nova extreme pro? Also I saw in your thread that you made your own sump, how difficult is it to get the baffles in and to the proper hight/placement? This may be in your thread, but are you running a fuge?

edit: I saw that you're just running a skimmer.

I have a huge fuge! more then half of my sump is fuge lol... I also have a big skimmer :P

Are you going to use pocket screws to join that? I ended up going with screw boards on the inside. :(

Unfortunately due to a lack of fancy equipment I'm probably going to end up putting screw-boards inside too... My one thought though is that I'm going to be skinning this thing entirely in 1/4" or 1/2" hardwood ply... if i glue and screw that on all sides do I really need the internal braces? I'll have to think about that one. This is getting a little off topic anyhow, maybe I'll just go start my build thread...

Edited by Xytrix01
  • 4 weeks later...

Bump for new 40s.

Add an updated FTS in your original post or add one if you haven't already.

EDIT: and why the hell is this in the large reef forum?

Edited by nanoty
EDIT: and why the hell is this in the large reef forum?

Because, you cracker, this site is called "Nano-Reef.com". In the world of "Nanos" 40's are large! SHEESH! Some people these days...

:P

Because, you cracker, this site is called "Nano-Reef.com". In the world of "Nanos" 40's are large! SHEESH! Some people these days...

:P

I submit that in the world of regular reef tanks "nanos" are considered 40g and under...........and I'm not a cracker..........I am a redneck........

EDIT: and another thing, why are there 232 40breeders in the members tank forum instead of the large tank forum. You want to internetfight boy?

:D:D:D:D:P:P:P:P

Edited by nanoty
I submit that in the world of regular reef tanks "nanos" are considered 40g and under...........and I'm not a cracker..........I am a redneck........

Cracker a$$ cracker!

BTW... I'm a redneck too! Represent!

• 2 weeks later...

I got out the camera to snap a few of my 40 gallon breeder, and then all of the sudden my arms were in the tank and I was rearranging the rock! I got a few ideas after reading this thread so it's going to be a few days...

I got out the camera to snap a few of my 40 gallon breeder, and then all of the sudden my arms were in the tank and I was rearranging the rock! I got a few ideas after reading this thread so it's going to be a few days...

I hope you put the camera down first.......... :mellow: