Top Shelf Aquatics

Chucktown BC 29 Mixed Reef

divecj5

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think the Birdsnest looks great. I've noticed that sometimes polyps will brown out when shaded by the rest of the coral. It shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks man....I was kind of wondering the same thing about the shading. It is really looking happy where I have it now. It is now a little higher up and in an area that has a little higher and more random flow. Hopefully it will continue to grow.

I gots some with your name on it!!!!!! Come and get it!!

Glad to hear that you have more to share around....it has been doing great in my tank. You definitely hook it up for sure.

Let me know when we can work out the deal with the Superman and green acro (plus caps). I can't wait to get some more frags from you.

Caps, thanks for following the thread bud. I can't wait for things to fill in and grow as well. I will be more than happy to share once things get to that point.

Diggman, I can't wait to see the acans you're getting from Dustin. You're tank is going to be at capacity soon :) Once I move and the dust settles after the wedding at the end of November, I am planning on getting some acan frags for sure. I just love getting a frag of 2-3 heads and growing them into a colony.

yeah once i get this order in there im gonna chill for a while... and let evrthing grow in,, the only thing i want to get soon is a torch or Frogspawn,.. once everything grows in eventualy, ill be sure too hoook u up wit some frags dude.. maybe frag of some Acan heads :)

Sounds like a plan to me bud....I think that a torch or frogspawn is just about necessary in any tank in my opinion. I am looking to get a torch locally over the next couple of days since I just love the movement of euphyllia in tanks.

We will definitely have to do some trading, etc. once things grow for a bit. That's true for anyone else that follows this thread as well.

That tank is looking awesome dive. I will probably add a tunze in a couple of weeks, but I don't want to make any mods to the tank for various reasons. I am hoping they have the new smaller cup on it so it will fit inside the hood. My girl is toying with the idea of adding MH lights as well, but thats all down the road at this point.

Thanks for taking a look at my thread and commenting on the tank. I think that the Tunze is definitely a great skimmer although unless they've made the collection cup smaller, you will definitely need to do some modding of the lip in order for it to slide down far enough into chamber 2. I would maybe shoot an e-mail to the folks at Tunze or visit the Tunze forum over at ReefCentral and make sure.

I would just start off lighting wise with what comes stock at first, and then maybe step up to the halides. I can tell you that they make a huge difference, but you can keep some pretty sweet corals as well under the stock setup.

Sorry for the lack of updates to the thread. The insurance company totaled my fiance's car so we have been dealing with a lawyer, searching for a near car, and still planning for our wedding. Needless to say taking pics has fallen by the way side :)

I am starting to get some really nice growth on the monti and the green birdsnest so an update is definitely coming....

Glad to see your misshipped goodies coloring back up.

Your tanks are sweet. I always forget to check your BC over here in the members forum. I usually just cruise the all-in-one's. But your tank is always worth the look see.

we need an updated now sir...lol

NO... I can't handle anymore coral pics. Since my new tank is still cycling they make me anxious.

Awsome BC divecj5.

we need an updated now sir...lol

Patience my friend :) I will hopefully grab some pics today and then be able to post them up tomorrow. Hopefully...

Glad to see your misshipped goodies coloring back up.

Your tanks are sweet. I always forget to check your BC over here in the members forum. I usually just cruise the all-in-one's. But your tank is always worth the look see.

Yeah, they have really been coloring up nicely since I got them from Zoanuts. I ended up losing the green kiwis that I got but I guess that's the way it goes sometimes.

I tried to have a mod move my thread after I started it here over to the All-In-One forum....but no dice. Hope you make your way to my thread every once in a while.

NO... I can't handle anymore coral pics. Since my new tank is still cycling they make me anxious.

Awsome BC divecj5.

Thanks Stoney....my tank is going to be incredible. You have thought out everything down to a T. Anyone who hasn't seen it should check it out.

I hear ya...hopefully I will be able to get something up tomorrow if not this weekend. I will be moving this tank to my new condo next weekend so I'm going to start planning for that :(

That should be loads of fun.

So it's finally time for an update. I would have posted these earlier this weekend but got busy with other things of course.

Here are some updated pics of the green birdsnest that I got about a month ago. It has been getting some really nice growth and has started sprouting out some new branches. The first pic is when I got it and the second and third are as of yesterday afternoon:

CRW_6250.jpg

CRW_6318.jpg

CRW_6317.jpg

Here is an updated pic of the purple polyp monti that I got from Nano-Paul. You can see how it's really started encrusting over the plug. I plan on mounting it to a rock once I move this coming weekend.

CRW_6319.jpg

Here are the polyps that I got from Zoanuts that were completely transparent when I got them. They are still SLOWLY coloring back up. Not sure what they will turn out to be:

CRW_6320.jpg

Last but not least, I started noticing this algae on Thursday and it slowly grew over the past two days. I went to the store and got some Chemi-Pure and added that so hopefully it will help take care of this. I ended up just scooping it out of the tank and it came out in a nice little pad like I was lifting sod out of the tank or something.

I check my RO/DI water and it was 0 TDS (which I just changed all the filters about 2 weeks ago) so I'm not sure what's causing it. Anyone know what kind of algae it is? I took the Purigen that I had in there out as well since it had been a little over 3 months. Can Seagel leach Phosphates back in the water? The SPS look great so I don't think the Phosphate or Nitrates can be that high. I have also reduced my feeding amounts. Any ideas?

CRW_6316.jpg

looks like cyano to me... if you get the Chemi-pure ELite it removes Phosphates and will probably clear that right up :) . on another note.. you tanks is loooking awsome, ur gettin some raellly nice growth out of those montis, i cant wait for mine to start spreading....

that monti is cool!

Good luck with the move, sounds like the perfect excuse to start a new thread over in the all-in ones! :happydance:

Let me know when you are tank is up and stable in the new condo. I got a few frags I would like to send your way, if your interested.

looks like cyano to me... if you get the Chemi-pure ELite it removes Phosphates and will probably clear that right up :) . on another note.. you tanks is loooking awsome, ur gettin some raellly nice growth out of those montis, i cant wait for mine to start spreading....

Does the regular Chemi-Pure remove phosphates as well or just the Elite? I knew I should have spent the extra $5 and got the Elite :) Yeah, I am really happy with the growth that I'm getting on the monti that I have. The orange one hasn't put any new growth down yet so after I move, I'm going to move it up to a little higher light.

I agree that is cyanobacteria. Is there a dead-spot where it's growing?? That is usually the first place it appears.

Thanks for the help man. I think the one spot that it tried to grow in does have a little dead spot but the other area "should" have decent flow. I am seriously thinking about adding my other Seio to the tank after I move....just don't want to cause a whirl pool in there :) I will try directing more flow to those areas and see if that helps. I want to get a Koralia for the tank but saving up for a honeymoon and wedding has been putting a serious clamp on my reefing :)

that monti is cool!

Good luck with the move, sounds like the perfect excuse to start a new thread over in the all-in ones! :happydance:

Let me know when you are tank is up and stable in the new condo. I got a few frags I would like to send your way, if your interested.

Thanks for the well wishes. Although I'm not really all that worried about moving, I am just really worried about having to catch my fish more than the physical move. I just know that one of the bastards is going to hide in the rock or the firefish will bury itself in the sand. I am thinking about putting the net in there and just letting it sit for a day so they get used to it. Then, during feeding time I am going to try and catch the firefish first. He is a sneaky b*stard so he's the one I worry the most about. I can always just take all the rock except for the very biggest pieces to catch the clowns.

I hate having to catch them though because they end up getting really stressed when one clown is separated from the other. It's kind of funny how emotional we end up getting over our tanks :) I guess that's what makes us conscientious reefers.

I might have to start another thread over in the All-In-One area and just link from here. I just don't want to lose all the info. that is on this one. Might be a good excuse though.

Thanks for all the comments guys....once I get settled in to the condo, I will let you know Tudd...I am always up for some frags. I still need to send Diggman his rics.

Thanks man...I can't wait to get my hands on some of your frags as well. We can set something up once I get settled back in.

Anybody have any suggestions or recommendations on moving? Here's what I was planning on doing so let me know if I'm WAY off in left field on this:

My dad and brother will be helping me with the move (figure it's always good to have an extra person). I went ahead and bought two 5 gallon containers and I also have about eight 1 gallon jugs and an extra 5 gallon salt bucket. I plan on taking out all of the frags and small pieces of live rock and putting those in some smaller rubbermaid containers and filling them with water. I will probably just wrap the live rock in wet newspaper and put it in large ziplocs or trash bags since it will only be a 10 minute drive. With about 1/2 the rock out, I plan on draining some water out to give the fish less room to scoot around. I will then net the fish and put them either in bags or containers as well (clowns together and firefish separate). I then will drain the rest of the water out and keep it in the containers. I plan on leaving all of the support pieces of live rock in there and just covering them up with wet paper towels and then just leaving about 1/2 inch of water to cover the sand bed. I have heard about people taking out their sand bed but I figure since it's only been up for about 3 months, there's no need to mess with a good thing.

Here's where I am wondering what to do. With about 20 pounds of wet sand and probably 5-10 pounds of rock still in there, I plan on getting some plywood and sliding it under the tank so it can support the glass when we pick it up. Do you think this is necessary or do you think we can just pick it up without worrying too much? I just don't want to bust the bottom out of course.

Once the stand and tank is moved, I will add the old tank water back in, put the rock and corals back in and then the fish last. I plan on letting it settle out for a day and then doing a water change to get rid of anything that got stirred up.

I am REALLY dreading this but I guess it's a necessary evil....at least that's what my fiance tells me :)

What do you think?

sounds like a good plan. I would definetly slide the tank onto something for extra support. All that sand and rock will add up and if anything can go wrong it will. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that all goes well for ya fingerscrossed

Thanks bud....I'm sure it will work out fine but I'll be anxious as all get out the day of.

Does anyone know if the glass is flush with the bottom of the black trim on bottom of the tank? I can't remember if there is a gap or not.

I'm not familiar with the strength of the bottom on the BC's so I can't say what will be necessary to support it. The rest of the plan sounds fine though. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Archived