Cultivated Reef

Chucktown BC 29 Mixed Reef

divecj5

yep i meant HARDEST

sometimes i wonder why i even bother with zoas ... . i guess that would take all the fun out of reefing then huh :)

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gotcha....yeah luckily I have been very successful with zoas over the past year or so of reefing....I think the key is just getting them from reputable people and trying your hardest to avoid pests and diseases.

i got some Seachem reef Dip the other day.. im going to give em dip and pray the pox go away... did that ryme??lol . Dive do you does anything to your tank

Best of luck with the pox....are you sure that's what it is? How did you get it? or I mean where did you get it?

As far as dosing, I used to use all of Seachem's dry mix products on my 55 gallon and was really happy with them although they are kind of a pain to mix up every time.

This time around, I have been using Two Little Fishes Two Part mix that I bought a boat load of from Drs. F&S when they had it on sale. I'm sure it would be cheaper to just make my own two part and I'm sure eventually I will do this.

Since my calcium had been kind of low and my alk a little on the high side, I have been using Seachem's ReefBuilder Ca to bring up the Ca. It's nice because it doesn't affect Alk as much as say the Two Part. Once I get things in line and figure out how much my corals are sucking up per week, I will start using the Two Part again...probably about 5mL per week to start with.

What are you using? and what are others using as well? Always interested in hearing how others dose, etc.

Adam

i got some Seachem reef Dip the other day.. im going to give em dip and pray the pox go away... did that ryme??lol . Dive do you does anything to your tank

It wont cure it if it is zoa pox. You need to do a furan 2 dip. You should post pics in the coral forum so we can attempt to help.

Tank is 3 months old today!!!

Thanks man....things are coming along with the tank. Just trying to make sure to keep params as steady as possible for the SPS in there now. Everything looks to be doing pretty good so I'm just letting things grow out for a while.

I am going to be moving about 10 minutes away to a new condo at the end of this month so that will be a fun thing to document :) I'm not looking forward to that at all.

• 2 weeks later...

I tend to try and crop as much as I can in camera instead of in Photoshop but sometimes you have to. To get the frames, I downloaded a frame making action that I just run in Photoshop. I'll have to search around but I'm pretty sure I've come across some pretty cool framing tutorials.

Do you have photoshop?

no photoshop, but i have other programs i can crop with that came with the computer.. can i use them?? i would really like to start using the borders , it makes the pictures really stand out..

I'm sure you said this somewhere in the last 300 pages so forgive me but what kind of pump is that in the tank on the right side? Also I love the sunpod. I will be getting one soon and will be rebuilding my bc29 after a catastrophic flood in my basement which wiped the entire contents of my tank and basement. Looking good and I hope to follow in your footprints soon. Oh also how does that fan from aquatek work? I was looking at that myself and was wondering if it was really needed. Anyway thanks for reading and happy reefing to all. Ok just one more thing I promise. How did you go about attaching the hydor to the end of the loc line? Again thanks for the patience.:)

no photoshop, but i have other programs i can crop with that came with the computer.. can i use them?? i would really like to start using the borders , it makes the pictures really stand out..

Hmmm....you should be able to make the frames somehow in Microsoft Paint I would imagine. If I get the chance this afternoon at work, I'll scope around the internet and see if I can dig up a tutorial. I just use what they call an recorded action to make the frames in photoshop.

I'm sure you said this somewhere in the last 300 pages so forgive me but what kind of pump is that in the tank on the right side? Also I love the sunpod. I will be getting one soon and will be rebuilding my bc29 after a catastrophic flood in my basement which wiped the entire contents of my tank and basement. Looking good and I hope to follow in your footprints soon. Oh also how does that fan from aquatek work? I was looking at that myself and was wondering if it was really needed. Anyway thanks for reading and happy reefing to all. Ok just one more thing I promise. How did you go about attaching the hydor to the end of the loc line? Again thanks for the patience.:)

No worries about the questions, that's what these threads are for and I hope it's informational. The pump that I have in the right side of the tank is a Seio pump that I had two of in my old 55 gallon tank that I took down. I wanted to get a Koralia but just ended up running out of funds and to tell you honestly, it's a sweet pump. I little to big for my taste but it's keeping the corals happy for now.

As far as the Aquatek fans, like i mentioned to Diggman, they are a little on the whiney sounding side for me but I got used to the sound after about a day or two. Plus they only cut on for 15 minutes every 30 minutes so it's not bad. They keep the tank nice and cool so I've been pleased with them.

There's nothing necessary to connect the Hydor flo to the end of the locline. The Hydor flo comes with several different size nozzles and the largest one just pushes into the end of the locline. I just wrapped some plumbers tape on the end to snug it up.

Glad to hear you're starting over after losing your last setup :( Let us know where your thread is if you start one up.

Looking great man. I'll be sending you a PM in a minute.

Sounds great bud....I look forward to it.

Sorry for not updating the thread with pics. I had taken some last Tuesday night and planned on posting them on Wednesday morning. Unfortunately, my fiance was in a pretty bad car accident (got t-boned by some jacka** that pulled out in front of her) so after spending the morning in the emergency room and taking car of all the insurance stuff, the pics fell WAY down the priority list :) Thank God she is alright and just ended up getting a busted lip and burns from the air bag and was just shaken up. Now I just hope they don't total her car....

Hopefully I can get some pics up this afternoon or tomorrow morning at the latest.

I just got some time to go through the pics so I'll post them below. The only thing I didn't get a good pic of is the nice base growth that the purple polpyed monti is laying down on the plug. I haven't noticed any growth on the orange monti yet so I will just leave it where it is for the time being and see what happens.

For some reason my aqualifter pump keeps turning off or my ATO keeps telling it to turn off. Does anyone know if the JBJ ATO's have an auto shutoff if the pump runs for too long? Should I maybe get a bigger tube running up to the tank from the stand?

Pics!!!

Rics I'm still holding for Diggman...will ship once I move at the end of this month

a.jpg

Splitting

CRW_6292.jpg

Zoas in the middle where completely clear when I got them after the shipping problem with DHL from Zoanuts. Starting to slowly color up

CRW_6293.jpg

These came off the plug on Saturday but luckily I saw them do it and was able to glue them back down:

CRW_6295.jpg

CRW_6297.jpg

CRW_6298.jpg

CRW_6296.jpg

Starting to get some new white growth on the tips

CRW_6299.jpg

CRW_6300.jpg

Once I move at the end of this month, I will move all these frags to their respective locations and give them some growing room. :)

CRW_6303.jpg

Hope that was the pic fix everyone needed.

GO GAMECOCKS

Very nice. I'm sorry to hear about your fiance. People just don't know how to drive these days. I love that purple polyped monti. I'll have to head down to Hickory soon and get some of that!!

Thanks man. I appreciate the comment....people are really bad drivers around here. One minute you're cruising along and the next your car is smashed. Could have been worse so I'm happy for that.

Do you think my green birdsnest looks good? Some of the polyps on the bottom were looking brown the other day and didn't know if it's because I moved it. What do you think?

Yeah, I love the purple polyped monti....one of my favs for sure.

now thats what i call an update.. sweet pics for sure.. i think that red/orange monti is the same type i have... those kiwi green zoas are closed up i see.. no worried mine look exactly like that, i dont know why they wont open :( that Ric is looking good :) i cant wait to see your tank once you get all your frags into the rockwork.. its gonna look awsome.. that purple monit is top notch,, i want one.. were did u get it?? lemme know about that border for pics,

Very nice. I'm sorry to hear about your fiance. People just don't know how to drive these days. I love that purple polyped monti. I'll have to head down to Hickory soon and get some of that!!

I gots some with your name on it!!!!!! Come and get it!!

I was actually thinking the same thing about the orange monti that you have. Mine is pretty orange in my tank and I would think your's will match that once it settles in.

I hear ya about the green kiwis, it's like they just never want to open up. All the others in my tank are completely open except for these. Not sure what the deal is with those.

Yeah, let me move to my new apartment at the end of this month and then we'll figure out getting the rics our your way. Hopefully they will split by then :)

I got the purple monti from Nano-Paul about a month ago or so now. I'm not sure if he has any more but it has been really growing for me.

Archived