inTank Media Baskets

Chucktown BC 29 Mixed Reef

divecj5

As I said yesterday, I ended up getting the package from Nano-Paul yesterday afternoon after hunting down the USPS lady. It was supposed to arrive on Wednesday but we ended up finding out that when the package was picked up from the shipper's home, the postmaster put it in the Priority Mail bin instead of the Express bin. Talk about a real genius :angry: . So needless to say it took about 48 hours to deliver a package that I probably could have driven up to Hickory, NC and back about 3 three times :) Way to go USPS...they never cease to amaze me as The post office of the U.S.

Either way, Nano-Paul was simply an awesome seller to buy from. After finding out that the package never went out on Tuesday, he was already getting plans together to send me another package with replacements. That's what I call service for sure. We ended up holding out on sending something out again to see the condition the frags were in. He packaged everything great and I think the way he packaged really was what saved the corals. He used Kardon breather bags and I think that helped as well. I am planning on ordering some of these myself for shipping in the future.

So I would definitely recommend buying from him if anyone ever gets the chance. I know I will be ALL over the next frags that he sells. He ended up giving me more than I ordered and I swear we must have exchanged about 20 PMs over two days.

Here are some pics finally:

After floating in the tank for 30 minutes since they were fairly cold

CRW_6239.jpg

CRW_6240.jpg

Zoas

CRW_6243.jpg

Green Birdsnest

CRW_6241.jpg

Purple Montipora

CRW_6242.jpg

After slowly acclimating them for about 30 minutes in the bowl....some of the polyps were surprisingly already coming out on the monti and the birdsnest. I was really really surprised since they had been in their plastic bag jails for about two days prior to this.

In the tank they all went....

Nice Zoas w/oranges on the right

CRW_6246.jpg

Nice mix of zoas

CRW_6248.jpg

My favorite...the green birdsnest

CRW_6244.jpg

After adding some Phytoplan and Cyclop-eeze to see polyp extension

CRW_6250.jpg

CRW_6256.jpg

Purple Monti (really bright purple polyps)

CRW_6245.jpg

The whole shebang....

CRW_6253.jpg

Needless to say unfortunately I have been bit by the SPS bug for sure. Although I still love zoas and LPS, I didn't know how cool SPS are in the tank. Hopefully they will have good growth in my tank and now it's time to make sure all the params are rock solid.

I am heading off to the LFS to get some rics they have in again.....$5 a polyp:)

Let me know what you guys think of the new additions....just happy to have some more color in the tank. I will grab some more pics this afternoon since they will have had some time to settle in by now.

Happy Friday :haha:

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks good buddy! Glad everything worked out for ya. Stupid postmaster! :angry::lol:

That birdsnest is a pig. I have seen it eat whole mysis :D

Thanks again man...I appreciate all the trouble you went through trying to hunt down the package.

I hear ya about the birdsnest....looked like it was hungry :)

Thanks for checking out the tank thread and let me know when you have more frags to sell. I posted feedback as well.

Adam

Looks awesome. I might Upgrade my other BC to the same lights you have. I like the lights i got from you but i would like to have a slightly different setup in the other tank.

Sweeeet!!.. so how about pickin me up a few of those $5 rics, and shipping em this way...hehe

Thanks man...if you're serious about the rics, let me know and I'll pick up a couple extra. I might just go ahead and get 4 or 5 either way. I could always get some and keep them til I have some things we could trade so I wouldn't be just shipping 2 rics.

Looks awesome. I might Upgrade my other BC to the same lights you have. I like the lights i got from you but i would like to have a slightly different setup in the other tank.

Thanks....I have been overall really happy with the Sunpod. Although I was really really happy the way my tank looked with T5s on my 55 gallon, I think the halides give the tank an extra dimension per say and the water just looks incredibly clear.

What type of setup are you going for on your other tank?

What type of setup are you going for on your other tank?

It is stock now with stock lighting. So my options are open. Only thing done is about 29 lbs of live rock, a few Zoas, Cleaner shimp, and one small fish. Oh and i have a Korailia 2 in there.

Are you planning on starting a thread on that tank as well? How long has that one been going? I would say make it a mixed reef unless you want to just dedicate it so a certain species or something.

I've seen some awesome anemone, clam, and zoa tanks so you're right, the choices are wide open.

If you do go with the Sunpod, make sure to get it from Petmountain (have a 5% off sale this weekend) so it will be around $200 shipped!!! for the 150watter. If you get the halide, gotta try some SPS or clams. I know I would like to try a clam once the tanks been up for a while (6-8 months) and I'm settled in my new condo.

yeah im serious.. what type of rics are they??color? rics are about to skyrocket in prices......get emm while u can

They are florida rics....there are some that are the color in my tank (greenish under my lights) and then a couple blues ones.

How many do you think you would want ($6 per polyp)?

Your tank is looking great! I love the SunPod it makes the tank look really pretty. I like the new monti too. Tagging along for sure =)

Your tank is looking great! I love the SunPod it makes the tank look really pretty. I like the new monti too. Tagging along for sure =)

Thanks for the comments. I have been really really happy about getting the sunpod. At first I never really thought that I would get a MH fixture for a tank but ended up getting it after finding a great deal. Couldn't be happier. Thanks for tagging along...should be getting more frags tomorrow :)

nice new additions. :happy:

Thanks bud....glad you like the new additions. I can't wait for the SPS to grow out a bit now. For those who haven't checked out Toomin's tank, it's amazing :)

Well it looks like I once again have the best luck with shipping. We were just going to go with USPS but once Zoanuts went there to drop off the package, they told him that they couldn't overnight it to me for some reason even though they said they could on their website. Strike up another for USPS.

So he decided to eat the extra expense and ship with DHL to arrive today. Well....for some reason it was routed wrong and shows as being held for shipment. He has been more than awesome getting back to me about the status and has been chewing them a new one all morning over this. I guess the shipping companies just really don't want our/my service in the future. FedEx, although ridiculously expensive, is looking better and better.

Hopefully I will get the package still today but I'm not holding my breath. Hopefully the frags make it in this heat.....

man that sucks.. i always get them to ship DHL to me.. overnight.. its more expensive but worth it.... i hope you get them all ALIVE!!!.. hows the rics looking?? get some PICSS!!!

Yeah, Dustin just said that they would be coming tomorrow by noon so we'll see how they turn out :( It's 95 here today so hopefully they don't end up cooking.

DHL ended up overloading the plane or something so they were still in Oklahoma City this morning and they still hadn't gone out this morning. I'm kinda bummed about it but I know that Dustin will take care of me in the end so we'll see what condition they are in tomorrow.

I will snag some pics of the rics tonight or tomorrow when I get the frags.

omgomgomg the temp gauge in my truck earlier said 106!! omgomgomg

I hear ya man....it's supposed to be a cool and nice 115 with the heat index here today :haha:

Time to break out the long sleeve shirts and gloves...

Just got back to work after driving to DHL and picking up the package and acclimating everything in the tank. DHL actually screwed up again and instead of holding the package there like I asked them to, they sent it out. After Dustin and I chewed on the customer service people and him on his sales rep, they brought it back to the shipping center.

Things aren't looking too hot with the frags. All of the bags except for the monti and the freebie frag were filled with nice brown water. All of the polyps on one of the frags are clear/see through so that's not a good sign of survival. The others aren't looking too hot either but aren't too bad. The monti frag still has nice color but the edges are bleached a good bit. So overall I'm not sure if they will make it.

I just told Dustin to hold some replacements aside for me in case they don't make it. I am not freaking dealing with shipping again this week so I will try my best husbandry skills with them (low flow) and see how they turn out. They are getting some nice MH light now :) so I'll snag some pics of them when I get home. I am so over dealing with shipping companies this week after what happened this week and last week.

Oh well, could always be worse...could be unemployed or something else :)

At least everything else is looking great in the tank (except for the orange zoas above that 2 have melted and 2 other heads are looking pretty bad).

Adam

Just wanted to post some pics of two of the frags that I got in yesterday...one of the other frags is just looking to shabby to take a pic of.

Here is a pic of the orange monti that I got. It is no where near as orange as the pics on zoanuts site and the polps aren't looking too hot. They are supposed to be pretty tough so I'll just keep it in low flow and at the bottom of the tank for the time being:

CRW_6266.jpg

Here is the freebie frag that I got. Probably looks the best out of the all of the frags and there were some polyps that were peaking out yesterday afternoon when I took this:

CRW_6265.jpg

I'm not sure which number this was that I bought but I believe they are the orange ones. These are looking pretty bad with all of the brown gunk covering them. I tooth brushed the majority off around the polyps the best I could. We'll see how they turn out:

CRW_6267.jpg

On another note, my green birdsnest is already getting some new growth on the tips of the branches so I must be doing something right in the tank :) The purple monti is also doing great and I'm planning on epoxying it to a rock tomorrow or Saturday.

I think the rics have finally attached to the rock rubble that I put them on (I just added some rock in some crystal light clear containers) so I'm going to glue them on their respective rocks this weekend. Should be able to send you one out soon Diggman!!!

I'll update how the frags look tomorrow morning or this evening if I get the chance.

I also had the fun of spending money on replacement RO/DI cartridges so those should be here tomorrow. Say by by to the wispy algae that thought it would be fun to make it's home in my tank :) This is the first time I've changed the filters so I'm due (about a year old now).

Adam

Sweet... i would try stickin em in some high flow,, just for a little while.. It will blow all that nasty gunk off them.. then move them back to the lower flow if desired... i think they will make it, ive had some in alot worse condition that those..

heck yeah, lemme know when you wanna ship .... its reallly hot right now :( maybe we should wait till it gets a lttle cooler.. so i dont get a bag of ricordia soup!!

I think that's what I'm going to do. I might take them out again and just baster them off and see if I can't get rid of the brown "goodness" around them. I think they will make it but we'll see about the other frags in particular the monti.

Yeah, let's hold out on shipping for the next week or so. That way I might be able to frag you something else and send that as well.

Archived