Innovative Marine Aquariums

Oceanic Angles

varanus37

• Replies 983
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you people suck at this..."spiffy" is the key word ;)

var - where is that Tyree strawberry patch in relation to your lights? I got one from mvite and I can't get it to green up. Yours is looking nice.

edit: I'll help you out Scott. If I wanted to win, I would have change my post to:

"var - where is that Tyree strawberry patch in relation to your lights? I got one from mvite and I can't get it to green up. Yours is looking spiffy.

;)

It's about 6" below the surface of the water and 3" off to the side of the footprint of the reflector for the halide. Hope that makes sense. It's a 250w 10k also. It was a bit washed out when I got because it was obviously angry from shipping. The green has really started to come in recently though. A similar thing happened with my superman. The base flesh was a very light purple color and has maintained that color. The new growth on the frag is the deep purple that is expected from a superman monti.

The only update for the tank is that the sativa micros will likely be moved shortly. They're spreading off of the plug and I'm afraid they'll touch the Duncan as it continues to push out baby heads. The sativa will be moved to the sandbed near the Doobisberry micros. I think I found it a nice hole near the glass where it can grow toward both the pink echino and the purple cap. Should be a nice color grade there in a year or so. That echino is hot pink but the outer rims where the new growth is occurring are purple and then fill in to the pink as the growth encrusts. So the colors should go bright pink to purple to a nice green and then back to purple but with blue polyps in the purple. Then past that purple cap is my galaxea cluster which is also bright green. Should look really SPIFFY in time.

Bill

I keep saying I'm going to order them and then I never do. It's like the lettuce nudis. I look at reefscavengers like every day and just don't click the buy button. I'm not sure why. I'm a slacker I think. But hellolights is where I'm getting them from whenever I do it.

Bill

It's about 6" below the surface of the water and 3" off to the side of the footprint of the reflector for the halide. Hope that makes sense. It's a 250w 10k also. It was a bit washed out when I got because it was obviously angry from shipping. The green has really started to come in recently though. A similar thing happened with my superman. The base flesh was a very light purple color and has maintained that color. The new growth on the frag is the deep purple that is expected from a superman monti.

Spiffy! :lol: I'll move mine up then - it's under a 150w 14K right now, and just barely getting a green fluoresence to it.

Superman monti seems particularly prone to an initial color change - the WAMAS group has a version going around that bleached out initially and came back orange polyps on a very pale blue, nearly white base. Everyone who's gotten a frag has tried to get it to color back up, and no one's been successful. (on the bright side of things, the first person spent about $80 on a TINY frag, and everyone else has been getting it for $5 for a 1" frag since it won't color up :)

I would definitely throw down $5 for a 1" frag of monti. "Colored up" or not. If the color doesn't go back to what you thought it was going to be then you just got yourself a cheap new morph for your tank.

Didn't answer some Q's from other posts so I'll do that now. Mostly from Diane I beleive. That cuke is one of 2 that we have. The other is a yellow guy about 3" or so long. He's prone to climbing the glass and scraping algae off the center brace of my tank. That black and gray bugger is probably 5" or so. Been with me from the get-go also. My next fish purchase will likely be a CBB. I've heard they'll munch majanos if given the chance and I've got some of the lil goobers in places I don't like. I don't really mind majanos because I like the way they look. I do mind when they start to infringe on my coral. That'll be our last large fish purchase aside from possibly a buddy for our clown. Not so sure about that one due to possible aggression issues. Other than that I really dig tiny fish. I like seeing eyeballs peering out of rock holes. Very kewl. When I finally upgrade to the 120 I'm going to go goby nuts.

Bill

Thought I should explain something else about the position of some of the frags as well. I have a Koralia 2 and a K3 in this tank. The K3 is on one end and angled to blow at the surface and across the tank. The K2 is angled to do the same but pointed more directly upward. Makes for lots of surface agitation and crazy swirling water patterns. The reason I brought this up is the position of that strawberry patch. It is right in front of the K2. The K2 is pointing at the surface but if it were to point straight out it would almost touch that frag. So there's a bit of water flowing by that piece. Just thought I'd let you know so you could take that into consideration when placing yours. And the main spot where the 2 streams of water hit each other and swirl insanely...oh yeah my orange and green caps are spanning across that very spot. Should be some wicked growth off of that.

Bill

Some new additions today:

6 scarlet hermits, big fan of these. They're the least destructive and most peaceful of any hermit I've ever had.

3 new Persian Conchs. Hoping to keep the breeding going.

1 new short yellow cuke. This guy will probably get moved to the 1/2 10 gallon when the horseshoe gets moved to the 55.

1 new weirdo white cuke. This thing is awesome and very strangely colored. He is also enormous compared to the other cukes I have. Chillin in the bag he was probably 5-6". Had to pick it up when I saw it.

Pics to come shortly.

Bill

Jeez, this is the second time in two days I've thought I posted to a thread, only to have no post show up. Can I be forgetting to press "Send" that much?! :angry::angry:

Anyway...

Didn't answer some Q's from other posts so I'll do that now. Mostly from Diane I beleive. That cuke is one of 2 that we have. The other is a yellow guy about 3" or so long. He's prone to climbing the glass and scraping algae off the center brace of my tank. That black and gray bugger is probably 5" or so. Been with me from the get-go also.

All the more interesting critters. Glad to hear they're so hardy. Looking forward to the pics of your new ones!

My next fish purchase will likely be a CBB. I've heard they'll munch majanos if given the chance and I've got some of the lil goobers in places I don't like.

:blush: Uh, CBB = what?

. Other than that I really dig tiny fish. I like seeing eyeballs peering out of rock holes. Very kewl. When I finally upgrade to the 120 I'm going to go goby nuts.

Bill

Ooooh, in that case--I've alway coveted barnacle blennies!

--Diane

PS: I love scarlets, too!

CBB is a Copper Band Butterfly. I've read and been told that they're good pest eaters. Still unsure whether or not they'll pick at polyps though.

Bill

WOW!

I'M NERVOUS ABOUT PUTTING ANY KIND OF BUTTERFLY INTO A REEF, LET US KNOW HOW HE WORKS OUT!

I'M NOT A BIG FAN OF HERMITS EITHER-- METHINKS YOU JUST LIKE CRABS! :happy:

Yeah, butterfly fish make me nervous as well. Hence, it's not in the tank yet. Haha. CBBs are the species people have had the most success with as far as not picking. It would just suck to be that guy who was on the other side of it. I put it in and it eats my pests, then gets bored/hungry and eats my zoas. My wife likes the way the pygmy angels look so we may go that route. I did find tiny saddleback clowns at the LFS where I got my original one. First time I've seen them there in forever. So many options. Checked out a foxface and a harlequin bass while at a different LFS as well. Yep, all over the place.

Bill

GETTING READY TO LEAVE FOR THE SWAP SOON.

I'LL BE THINKING OF YOU WHILE I MUNCH ON MY RUM CAKE THERE! :D

WE'LL TRY TO TAKE LOTS OF PICS FOR YOU.

ANYTHING IN PARTICULAR YOU'RE LOOKING FOR, JUST IN CASE I RUN INTO SOME INCREDIBLE BARGAINS?

I posted this picture in my 1/2 10 thread but I thought I'd put it here as well. The conch in the picture is in the 1/2 10 but the breeding of the conchs has taken place in this tank. This is the hook appendage that I was trying to explain to c est ma. They use it to push themselves up rocks or to unstick themselves when they're wedged somewhere. From what I've seen their foot is actually somewhat weak compared to the weight of their body and shell so they have to use this to propel themselves upward when the slope is too vertical. The hook can be pushed out with quite a bit of force. You can hear the pop sometimes if they push on the glass or another shell.

CSC_0662.jpg

Bill

Starting to settle on the foxface and the tiny saddleback. I'd like the clowns to be a pair and I want one more larger fish for the tank. I think those 2 will give me what I want. I'm not sure I want more fish than that in a 55. When I upgrade to a 120 though it's on. I'm actually going with no tangs though in the bigger tank. I am determined to make an enormous tank at some point in my life that is not an SPS forest with monster tangs. I want a legit mixed reef that is a bit sparse on the SPS with tons of small to medium fish and less of the really big guys.

Bill

I'm actually going with no tangs though in the bigger tank. I am determined to make an enormous tank at some point in my life that is not an SPS forest with monster tangs. I want a legit mixed reef that is a bit sparse on the SPS with tons of small to medium fish and less of the really big guys.

Bill

I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't want the overgrown SPS forest tank filled with tangs.

cool conch shot!

Ya know, I really do think it looks kewl. There are some insane colors you can have in those types of corals. I just don't want a reef dominated by those types of corals. I don't really like the way acros look I just like the colors they can have. I've got a colt coral that about fills the left quarter of my tank and I think it looks just as kewl as an acro of similar size because the colt can sway in the current. Glad to see someone shares my opinion on forest tanks like that.

I don't particularly dislike tangs to be honest. Some of them are very nice looking and I've seen some that had good personality as far as fish went. My thing is that I've seen so many other fish with wayyyy more personality or what I like to think is intelligence. More interactive I guess. I'm also a big fan of schooling fish and having creatures be able to breed in my tank. I feel that I've given a creature a proper environment if it can be comfortable and healthy enough to successfully have offspring in my tank. The survival of those offspring is an entirely different matter mostly due to the filtration efforts most of us use on our tanks. Hard to keep tiny babies alive when we're processing our water through pumps and whatnot. But the fact that they were created in the first place tells me I'm doing something right for the parents.

Bill

Ya know, I really do think it looks kewl. There are some insane colors you can have in those types of corals. I just don't want a reef dominated by those types of corals. I don't really like the way acros look I just like the colors they can have. I've got a colt coral that about fills the left quarter of my tank and I think it looks just as kewl as an acro of similar size because the colt can sway in the current. Glad to see someone shares my opinion on forest tanks like that.

I don't particularly dislike tangs to be honest. Some of them are very nice looking and I've seen some that had good personality as far as fish went. My thing is that I've seen so many other fish with wayyyy more personality or what I like to think is intelligence. More interactive I guess. I'm also a big fan of schooling fish and having creatures be able to breed in my tank. I feel that I've given a creature a proper environment if it can be comfortable and healthy enough to successfully have offspring in my tank. The survival of those offspring is an entirely different matter mostly due to the filtration efforts most of us use on our tanks. Hard to keep tiny babies alive when we're processing our water through pumps and whatnot. But the fact that they were created in the first place tells me I'm doing something right for the parents.

Bill

Amazing! I agree wholeheartedly to the entire thing! I do like my montiporas, but I enjoy LPS and especially anemones for the movement and constant change in the look of the tank that SPS don't give you. And tangs are beautiful fish, but I like the interaction of my clownfish, the way cardinals school, the way a puffer comes up and begs for food.

As for offspring, though...you make 'em comfortable, I'll just chop them in half :P (It has to make you feel good that you're getting things right when there's spawning)

I posted this picture in my 1/2 10 thread but I thought I'd put it here as well. The conch in the picture is in the 1/2 10 but the breeding of the conchs has taken place in this tank. This is the hook appendage that I was trying to explain to c est ma. They use it to push themselves up rocks or to unstick themselves when they're wedged somewhere. From what I've seen their foot is actually somewhat weak compared to the weight of their body and shell so they have to use this to propel themselves upward when the slope is too vertical. The hook can be pushed out with quite a bit of force. You can hear the pop sometimes if they push on the glass or another shell.

CSC_0662.jpg

Bill

Amazing! Great pic, too. I'd love to see this in person...

Bill

+1!! In that case, you should definitely consider adding a pair or more of one of the sequential or simultaneous hermaphroditic little gobies...You'd probably get a brood a week...

--Diane

I'm not entirely sure what gobies fall into that group. I think GBGs do but other than that I'm not sure. If you know of any species please put them here. That would be very kewl.

Bill

I do have some papers about the subject but it will take me a while to dig them out (that research was a while ago). I promise to get back to you just as soon as another big project is off my shoulders!

But there are many genera/species that fit those categories!

--Diane

Ordered the 14k Phoenix bulbs for the tank. Should look really nice when it's all said and done. I'm in the Valentines swap and I've got a few other trades and things in the works as well so should be some changes to the layout by March if not earlier. Hoping the bulbs are here by the weekend. New lights for the 1/2 10 gal. are on the way too.

RPEs are up to 11 total heads now. 6 adult and 5 baby with some nubs that will likely be heads. Marbled shroom has 2 babies. The Duncan has another head, 3 total now. Grandis Palys are at 6 total heads now. 3 adult and 3 baby. All of my zoa and paly rocks have multiple new heads. I'm getting really good growth from these bulbs right up to the year mark on them. I'm very impressed. But it is time to change them out and I'm hoping the 14k's will give me the color I want but not compromise my rate of growth. The micros are putting out new heads ridiculous fast as well but I feed them fairly regular. Same with the candy canes.

I'll keep you all posted.

Bill

I think you will be very happy with the Phoenix 14k bulb. You will be absolutely amazed at how nice your corals look, it will bring out colors you never knew were there. I think you will still continue to get good growth since I've seen pretty decent growth in my prop tank and I use just that bulb.

Wish you could have come to the swap, there was a lot of nice sps with insane prices like $5-$15 per decent sized frag.

There was a gorgeous piece of Superman Monti for $35 that I am majorly kicking myself now for not getting. :angry:

I'm really looking forward to seeing pics of your tank under the new bulb. You may have to play with white balance on your camera to get the colors to come out accurately though. For some reason pics taken under a 14k Phoenix bulb come out much bluer than they look IRL. I've found that using a flash helps me to get pics to show the colors accurately when I take them under that bulb.

Archived