ReefCleaners.org

Oceanic Angles

varanus37

The urchins go through phases. Sometimes they scrape the coralline with the best of them. Sometimes not. Fortunately they like to eat off of my PHs and magnet. That particular urchin is more fond of nuisance algae though.

As for the meat coral. I'm gonna say it was about the width of my 4 fingers maybe? So 4-5"? That's about the width of my hand. It's been with me for about a year. Same with the colt. They were some of the first corals I got. They're hardy and fill space so they're ideal for starter species. We had a colt bush at my alma mater that was probably 2' in diameter. Insane. Same with leathers. Big and easy to care for.

Bill

• Replies 983
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tank looks great but I might try some bluer halides when it comes time to replace the bulbs or maybe try adding some more actinics. Bluer bulbs would really help your corals color pop and make this a killer tank. I love mixed reefs and this one definitely rocks.

Thank you very much! I've only recently gotten better with my digi. I still struggle with it quite a bit and I've started taking boatloads of pics to get the ones I want. Hopefully my progression is evident. I was starting to think they sucked, LOL. Tons of views on the thread and only a few comments, almost all of them from people I already know! Nice to see new faces, well avatars I guess.

Green- oh I definitely know about the bluer bulbs. It's 14k Phoenix here shortly. Thanks for the comments.

Bill

Nice, the Koralias got here this morning! Put them in and of course had to do some 'scape changes and move some frags to take advantage of flow and light reqs. Some guys will still probably get moved tomorrow but the changes weren't too significant. I've got pics and they'll be up after dinner. Now if I could just get these bulbs and the CUC recharge I'd be money.

Bill

You are already money my friend. Beautiful setup. Love the green monti and the one with the blue polyps. I just got one from the Propagator that he called blue berry monti and waiting for it to really get some PE. I can see the hints of blue polyps but nothing really coming out yet.

So the tank is a bit cloudy from some rock moves and most everyone is pi$$ed at me for the flow changes and the movement. Actually only the softies were unappreciative of the flow changes, all of the SPS were lovin' it.

FTS

DSC_0643.jpg

A bit closer and in sections

DSC_0673.jpg

DSC_0674.jpg

DSC_0675.jpg

DSC_0676.jpg

Some really light coralline on this rock. Found him hiding in the back and thought it needed displaying.

DSC_0661.jpg

CSC_0664.jpg

Compared to this rather dark growth here.

DSC_0666.jpg

CSC_0667.jpg

So I had to move the superman frag, too bad the orange cap had already encrusted to it! Oh well, hopefully it'll grow into the main colony.

DSC_0645.jpg

The required starving micro pics.

CSC_0657.jpg

CSC_0656.jpg

Please forgive the cloudy water and slightly angry critters. Things should be back to normal and lookin' good tomorrow morning.

Bill

So I'm thinking about HelloLights for my new bulbs and Reefscavengers for my CUC critters. Does anyone have any experience with them?

Thanks for any info,

Bill

Sweet new pics, Bill! You decided to move your colt to the side, eh? And I was wondering about the new rock front & center till I saw your light coralline close-ups. Hope it takes off for you. Those are super micro shots!

Coincidentally, I recently rec'd a rave review of reefscavengers via pm. My correspondent was totally impressed with their livestock and their shipping.

--Diane

Yeah, the colt had to be moved because he was getting too much flow with the new pumps. He fills that corner rather nicely and seems to be happy there. I think I'm going to turn the rock that the meat coral is on so that it sits right in the other corner and a bit lower. You'll have to look from the side to get a good view of it but it'll be much better for the coral itself.

Thanks for the info on Reefscavengers too.

Bill

So has anyone else ordered the 160 gal mix of Reef Crystal salt? Turns out theres a Tshirt in the bottom of the bucket. Kinda neat lookin'. I'm trying to get my wife to wear it so I can take a picture and show her fam what a fish nerd she's become, :happy: .

Bill

So has anyone else ordered the 160 gal mix of Reef Crystal salt? Turns out theres a Tshirt in the bottom of the bucket. Kinda neat lookin'. I'm trying to get my wife to wear it so I can take a picture and show her fam what a fish nerd she's become, :happy: .

Bill

Sweet, I can't wait for mine! :D

Roxy, thank you. Yeah that clown is my wifes favorite. And she likes the fish too.

fiction, I've heard great things about this salt so I had to get some once my stuff was out. We'll see how it goes.

Bill

Yep, I'm a nerd. Wearin' my Instant Ocean shirt that came in my bucket'o'salt. Anyone else going to the Middle TN frag swap on the 19th? Weetabix told me about it and now I'm trying to go. Not sure if I'm staying overnight or not. I may if everyone decides to do dinner or something afterward. Army says I gotta ask permission to go though, haha. Shouldn't be a problem though. Let me know if anyone else is going. Weetabix is setting up a table with BibleSue and I saw that Revhtree might put a table up as well. Looks like good sponsors so far and some really nice door prizes. Should be a kewl time.

Bill

Right now I'm thinking just lettuce nudis and maybe some berghias for the 55. The lettuce will live in the 1/2 10 until it's clean again. I'm hoping I can breed them like I did when I was in college. They're a fun critter and very easy to care for. I don't have many aips in the 55 but there are some so I think I just want the one berghia. My LFS has several displays with aip problems so I know he'll have food when he's cleaned me out. The bulbs will be 14k Phoenixs.

Bill

Awesome! Glad to have references to places. Buying online makes me nervous without reliable references.

Bill

You should buy from the Reef Chicks Coral Kitchen.

They're kinda goofy but I hear you get cookies with your zoas.

I have heard rumors that they've got good stuff. I also heard that they shamelessly plug their products in other peoples threads! Hahaha. If I come to the frag swap, I expect cookies. And frags will come with me if I come.

Oh, and the zoas are all doing wonderfully! Making a nice carpet around the base of my feather duster. Very kewl.

Bill

Right now I'm thinking just lettuce nudis and maybe some berghias for the 55. The lettuce will live in the 1/2 10 until it's clean again. I'm hoping I can breed them like I did when I was in college. They're a fun critter and very easy to care for. Bill

Really? Because I hear such mixed reports on these guys. (Have you seen the recent thread about them?)

Are there any secrets to success with them?

--Diane

I'm guessing you mean the lettuce nudis? I haven't seen a thread on them but I'll check. I've no experience with the berghias but I hear great things. When we bred the lettuce nudis it was a 20H that was just used to house Flame Scallops for our lower level biology classes. The water quality was good but it was exposed to natural sunlight a bit by the windows and we didn't really do algae maintenance on it like the display tanks. A lawnmower blenny lived in there and he seemed to love the constant supply of food so we let it go. When we got the lettuce nudis in for the display tank we put several in the 20H because it had an obvious supply of food. They just went to town. No predators or anything to bother them. Noone to eat the eggs. They did their thing and soon egg spirals were everywhere. We'd gather babies as they were born and transport them to our other displays and last time I was visiting there were lettuce nudis in every tank. We had multiple generations in that 20H while I was at school and it was a fun project. We had to start pulling algae from the tanks in the greenhouses to put in the 20H to feed them though. They lay alot of eggs and if they all survive it gets crazy fast. Very kewl critters though. I can't wait to get some more.

It was PC lighting and had a HOB filter if that matters.

Bill

Archived