Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Oceanic Angles

varanus37

No problem. I saw that they mentioned sea hares in that thread as well. Those are also kewl critters and I had one for a time. He was a voracious eater and not too much of a bulldozer. I took him back after a time though as he was very, very large. Too many frags in my tank for a creepy crawly that big. Never had real problems with him though.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 983
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So the conchs that are breeding in my tank...I think have done so on more than one occasion. I've now seen multiple sizes of young conchs in the tank which makes me think theres more than one batch of eggs. The babies in the 1/2 10 gal and in the 55 that I've seen until now were about half the size of the baby I saw the other night. This one was the size of a small nassarius snail. I'm working on getting pictures of the 2 sizes of babies.

FYI, they were sold to me as Persian Conchs. Not sure of sci. name or other common names. They eat algae pretty well and were reported to eat cyano. Haven't had cyano probs since introducing them some time ago so I don't really know if they'd eat it or not.

Bill

Hey Bill, are you coming to the Frag Swap a week from today in Goodletsville, TN?

Please say yes!!!

A bunch of us are getting together afterward for dinner.

I'm still planning on it. I'm fairly sure that's a long weekend for me at work so it shouldn't be a problem. Who all is coming?

Bill

BibleSue and I of course, you, arwndsh and SPerry for sure.

I'm trying to get Clifford513 to come and some other people as well.

I need to start a thread on it, maybe later tonight.

Sounds kewl. Can't wait to see everyone. Kinda chillaxin' this weekend so I can spend some $ coming up there and staying and dinner and whatnot. Most likely frags as well :D .

Bill

So the conchs that are breeding in my tank...I think have done so on more than one occasion. I've now seen multiple sizes of young conchs in the tank which makes me think theres more than one batch of eggs. The babies in the 1/2 10 gal and in the 55 that I've seen until now were about half the size of the baby I saw the other night. This one was the size of a small nassarius snail. I'm working on getting pictures of the 2 sizes of babies.

FYI, they were sold to me as Persian Conchs. Not sure of sci. name or other common names. They eat algae pretty well and were reported to eat cyano. Haven't had cyano probs since introducing them some time ago so I don't really know if they'd eat it or not.

Bill

Breeding conchs--that is incredibly cool! Do you remember where/when you purchased them? What is their maximum size?

And how about some pics? :D

--Diane

I got them at the local LFS. The ones I have are supposed to be full-grown and if they're popping babies I'm guessing they're at least close to it. They're about an 1 1/2-2". I've got 3. I did move one to the 1/2 10 gal. and some babies hitched in there on the LR. They burrow in the sand every now and then and hide out. Other than that they just wander around and munch with that big proboscis. They do have this wicked little hook-like thing that they can use to push themselves if they're stuck or need to get to a higher rock or something. It looks pretty vicious and they can really sling it out there but I've never seen it used for anything besides movement. I'll try and get pics of the babies. The adults are out and chillin' now so pics of them will be easy.

Bill

So my mandarin went carpet surfing. :angry: . I've never heard of that happening before. When I first put the Koralias in my YWG went racing for the surface but settled back down into his cave fairly quickly. I figured the big change in flow just surprised him. He never jumped though. I'm not sure when the mandarin took his death hop but my wife says she hasn't seen him in a day or 2. Not that strange considering the rockwork and the cave system of the engineer goby. They were good roommates up until now, weird.

We did pick up a pep shrimp to fight off some aips I saw recently. While I was at the LFS I got an emerald for Harry's 1/2 10 gal. and a skunk cleaner shrimp for the 55 because me and Teresa are fascinated with watching them clean the fish. For right now my only needs are some new bulbs.

So that's the update for today. Cams battery is chargin' so pics will be coming soon. I'll be posting in the monti thread as well. Some very kewl stuff in there if you all want to check it out. Sunset, sunrise, and one called Forest Fire that I saw recently are now on my wish list.

Bill

A few pics.

This is one of the conchs but its in the 1/2 10 right now. The other 2 were munchin in a cave in the 55.

CSC_0707.jpg

Hungry candy canes

CSC_0712.jpg

CSC_0713.jpg

RPEs...started as 3 now I think we're up to 7-8. Ugly cuke movin through as well

CSC_0694.jpg

Hydno enjoyin the koralias

CSC_0691.jpg

The lawnmower blenny decided to pose

CSC_0689.jpg

So check this out. These came from the coral kitchen and this is the only oddball polyp I can see in the bunch. Kewl lookin guy tho.

CSC_0684.jpg

Tyree Strawberry Patch...these pics really came out nicely.

CSC_0674.jpg

CSC_0673.jpg

So that's the update for now. Still planning on 14k Phoenixs in the near future and that's about it. I don't think I'll add more coral unless it's a trade or this upcoming frag swap. I am interested in another fish of some sort though. Any suggestions? Keep in mind the flow from the koralias is pretty hardcore. Otherwise it'd be pipefish, hehe.

Bill

Sweet, 3000 views. Leaving a comment would be kewl too though. It's like looking in my living room window and then not knocking on the door and saying hello. Oh, just wanted to see if you were home and watch some of your tv. Didn't want to talk to you though.

Well alright then.

Bill

Thanks. And the nose prints are ok, Milana leaves them too. Along with fingerprints and all kinds of other smudges and marks. She does carry the water bucket to the tank though for water changes. Granted, it's the empty one. But she's carrrying a bucket nonetheless.

Bill

I've been trying to find it a partner for forever. The LFS where we got it doesn't get that kind in anymore. Sucks. Yep, definitely dig the montis too.

Bill

I didn't realize you just had the one, I thought you already had a pair.

I've actually been thinking about putting that kind of clown in my 16g.

Every time I go to the LFS I'm always drawn to that particular clown there.

I also found this place that's close to me that breeds clowns and sells clown pairs for pretty decent prices. It's an internet store, and they put up pics of the actual clowns and clown pairs that you'd be buying.

Bill, my kids do that too.

I wiped a nose print off the aquarium the other day, and I've given up on keeping the windows in their reach smudge-free. It gives our house "character". :lol:

I didn't realize you just had the one, I thought you already had a pair.

I've actually been thinking about putting that kind of clown in my 16g.

Every time I go to the LFS I'm always drawn to that particular clown there.

I also found this place that's close to me that breeds clowns and sells clown pairs for pretty decent prices. It's an internet store, and they put up pics of the actual clowns and clown pairs that you'd be buying.

Bill, my kids do that too.

I wiped a nose print off the aquarium the other day, and I've given up on keeping the windows in their reach smudge-free. It gives our house "character". :lol:

link?? (maybe seeing cute clowns will convince amber we need ANOTHER tank :P)

good luck on your search - I rarely see healthy A. polymnus around here, and we have TONS of stores to choose from.

SPIFFY

what do you know,im post 100 wheres my cookie weetie?

No you're not, you're post #94, look in the upper right corner of the post!

Besides, your comments were not relevant to this thread (which is also part of the rules), the main topic being THE AWESOMENESS OF THE NEVER-FINISHED 55!!!

See post #399 on pg. 21 of this thread for the official contest rules:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...=136028&hl=

I got them at the local LFS. The ones I have are supposed to be full-grown and if they're popping babies I'm guessing they're at least close to it. They're about an 1 1/2-2". I've got 3. I did move one to the 1/2 10 gal. and some babies hitched in there on the LR. They burrow in the sand every now and then and hide out. Other than that they just wander around and munch with that big proboscis. They do have this wicked little hook-like thing that they can use to push themselves if they're stuck or need to get to a higher rock or something. It looks pretty vicious and they can really sling it out there but I've never seen it used for anything besides movement. I'll try and get pics of the babies. The adults are out and chillin' now so pics of them will be easy.

Bill

Thanks for the info, Bill! Obviously too big for my tank, but such a cool creature. I'd love to get a look at those "hooks!" Still hope you get a pic of the babies.

A few pics.

This is one of the conchs but its in the 1/2 10 right now. The other 2 were munchin in a cave in the 55.

CSC_0707.jpg

Thanks! Wow, look at those eye stalks!

Hungry candy canes

CSC_0712.jpg

CSC_0713.jpg

RPEs...started as 3 now I think we're up to 7-8. Ugly cuke movin through as well

CSC_0694.jpg

Hydno enjoyin the koralias

CSC_0691.jpg

The lawnmower blenny decided to pose

CSC_0689.jpg

So check this out. These came from the coral kitchen and this is the only oddball polyp I can see in the bunch. Kewl lookin guy tho.

CSC_0684.jpg

Tyree Strawberry Patch...these pics really came out nicely.

CSC_0674.jpg

CSC_0673.jpg

So that's the update for now. Still planning on 14k Phoenixs in the near future and that's about it. I don't think I'll add more coral unless it's a trade or this upcoming frag swap. I am interested in another fish of some sort though. Any suggestions? Keep in mind the flow from the koralias is pretty hardcore. Otherwise it'd be pipefish, hehe.

Bill

Bill, you sure get incredible close-ups! I love the tentacles on those candy canes, and that blenny face is outstanding. Look at those blenny lips! :P

I agree that it's fun to get an odd zoa polyp or 2 in any given batch, and I love those perfect little monti polyps. I hope you keep throwing as many photos up here as possible!

Any ideas on another fish, yet? That's fun to contemplate. :)

--Diane

PS: It may be an ugly cuke to you, but to me it's yet another fascinating part of the incredible biodiversity our tanks can have. Did you buy it or was it a hitcher? Do you have more than one?

( Takin' one for the team here- ).

Great pics Bill! Tank is looking sweet. I also have a frag of those zoo's from the coral kitchen ( before it became the coral kitchen LOL). It's a beautiful frag with such a fantastic mixture of colors and patterns.

Please keep those pictures coming!

Ready...... set......GO!!!!!!!

Post 100 is this it do I get the cookies? and added to the hijack list?

So are the conchs the same ones that you buy those spiffy shells of in Florida where you can blow in the end and make the big trumpeting sound? I have a huge one at home. Will they outgrow the tank eventually. Oh yeah seems like I have had breaded and fried conch pcs. before. Kinda like alligator, a little chewy but non the less good.

Archived