Pod Your Reef

can i have a claim

wildernesstank

elchicodelgado

I've not tried it but I've heard that you can do a squamosa or derassa under pc lighting. I would definitely consult someone who has had one under pc lighting for a while before taking the plunge. A maxima or crocea is definitely a no go however.

Don't do it. Just not a high enough success ratio with PC lights even with squamosa and deresa CLAMS.

I've seen a deresa go down hill in a very healthy 20long with PC lighting, almost to the point of death. After placing it under metal halide it came back and began to regenerate it's mantle.

I wouldn't recommend it... and this is coming from experience.

You would need tons of flourescent lighting to do this. A stock AP just doesn't cut it. It would be slow drawn out death for the clam.

elchicodelgado
Don't do it. Just not a high enough success ratio with PC lights even with squamosa and deresa CLAMS.

I've seen a deresa go down hill in a very healthy 20long with PC lighting, almost to the point of death. After placing it under metal halide it came back and began to regenerate it's mantle.

I wouldn't recommend it... and this is coming from experience.

I'd listen to him; a derassa is supposed to be one of the hardiest and if that was unsuccesful then I would probably give it up. Trust me, I've thought about it too though.....

coral_addict
is there anyway i could have a claim with 54 watts in a stock aquapod 12 g ??

How much do you want to CLAIM? :P:D

Reefstalker

I bought a 3" derasa over a year ago and kept it in a 10g with 100w PC lighting. It's now over 6" long and doing just fine.

I also have two croceas in a 40g with 200w T5 lighting over 6 months now. They're both very healthy with great coloration, and growing rapidly.

Lighting is just one part of the equation. Also equally important is nutrients and water quality.

clam = MH fo' sure

well, thats only how i see it

Definitely NOT true. But they won't survive under the stock 54w PC light of a cube either. I have a nice 3.5 year old croeca clam under the stock 4x24w T5HO lighting of my Finnex tank. B)

Definitely NOT true. But they won't survive under the stock 54w PC light of a cube either. I have a nice 3.5 year old croeca clam under the stock 4x24w T5HO lighting of my Finnex tank. B)

Does that fixture have individual reflectors?

ok ha ha ha guys i did read it befor i posted it .... claim clam there all the same hahahaha

I went to a vietnamese restaurant down in SoCal once, and they spelled Clam, 'CLAIM' everywhere on their menu. It was amazing. It doesn't even sound like Claim?

Does that fixture have individual reflectors?

Nope! Not stock at least, and my clam did fine the 2 months I had it under them. About a month ago I added reflectors to the 2 daylights since I plan to have SPS as well.

Nope! Not stock at least, and my clam did fine the 2 months I had it under them. About a month ago I added reflectors to the 2 daylights since I plan to have SPS as well.

Don't count this as a success story. When clams don't have sufficient lighting, it is a long drawn out death and can take many months, if not longer, for them to completely parish.

Unless a T5 fixture has individual reflectors, it won't provide sufficient lighting to the clam, be it a deresa, squamosa or any other type.

wildernesstank
I went to a vietnamese restaurant down in SoCal once, and they spelled Clam, 'CLAIM' everywhere on their menu. It was amazing. It doesn't even sound like Claim?

WOW that really weird . are feather dusters ok to have in a tank becouse the fish store has them for $10 and there HUGE :huh:

Don't count this as a success story. When clams don't have sufficient lighting, it is a long drawn out death and can take many months, if not longer, for them to completely parish.

Unless a T5 fixture has individual reflectors, it won't provide sufficient lighting to the clam, be it a deresa, squamosa or any other type.

Ehh, the clam is very healthy. It's been in the tank now for around 3 months. No signs of deterioration to speak of. it opens up fully everyday and the mantle is in top notch shape.

• 2 weeks later...

My LFS has a stock 24G Nano cube with a clam in it. They just have it sitting on top of the live rock maybe an inch from the water line. The tank setup is awesome with some incredible corals. So I would say you can do it it if you put it up high. Of course they look so much better on the sand and for that you need MH.

My LFS has a stock 24G Nano cube with a clam in it. They just have it sitting on top of the live rock maybe an inch from the water line. The tank setup is awesome with some incredible corals. So I would say you can do it it if you put it up high. Of course they look so much better on the sand and for that you need MH.

How long has the clam been in there?

One Eyed Bunny

I have to be skeptical like VicSkimmr. Although it may not look like its dying, under PC bulbs I'd imagine it's slowly withering.

I dont think anybody answered you about dusters...YES you can have them

They are not photosynthetic, they are filter feeders.

wildernesstank

oh wow i didnt know this crazy thread was still going . ya same here my LFS has a claim (clam) :rant: in there stock NC 12 at the bottom of the sand bed. i asked him how long its bene there and he said almost a year and i even checked out the tank and he was right it was stock so how can you explain that :huh:

lies ... almost all will tell you a load of bs to get you interested to buy it .. and when you do and it dies there s nothing you can do

Archived